PDA

View Full Version : OT: Movie Review: Hell on Wheels

cs124
05-12-2005, 03:41 AM
I saw an advance screening of this movie last night with a few roadie mates and a cinema full of like-minded degenerates.

In a word, awesome.

It is a docu-drama that follows the Telekom team on the 2003 Tour, focussing on 4 riders (Zabel, Aldag, Vinokourov & Kloeden) but with snippets of some other, non-Telekom riders and an entertaining, if rather unhealthy obsession with a cute girl in an orange bikini.

It's a little bit like Jamie Paolinetti's "Pro" in that it has as much footage of behing the scenes activities as of the actual racing but appears to have been made with a larger budget and more elaborate post-production.

It would take me hours to describe every part of the film in detail but there are a few moments which are firmly implanted in my memory.

- Rolf Aldag on the ergo in a pre-Tour fitness test dripping sweat and gasping for air. The camera pans to a digital display... 460 Watts and 184 bpm.

- "Eule" the soigneur cleaning Erik Zabel up after a crash and explaining how he has to scrub the wounds in the shower until they bleed out all the germs from the road rash.

- Zabel cursing after a time trial "...I'd get up to speed, 50, 52, 53 then bam, another hill or corner or headwind! My average was 42 km/h, pathetic. The worst thing is Rolf beat me and he's got a cold..." cut to Aldag, obviously absolutely spent after his TT, hacking cough, bringing up all sorts of lung oysters.

- Vino and Kloden coming back to the team car on an Alpine stage for bottles and a pep talk with Mario Kummer. Vino does the "pro thing" and holds on to the bottle for about 30 seconds as the car accelerates up the incline. Kloeden listens, takes one bottle quickly and when Kummer motions for him to take another one and hold on Kloedi just waves his hand and rides away.

If it's showing in your area, do yourself a favour and see it. For those in Melbourne, it will be showing at the cinema Nova in Lygon St Carlton from May 19th.

cs124
05-12-2005, 03:43 AM
The following text is the media release for this movie, for those who are interested.

The brilliant Tour de France documentary Hell on Wheels will be the first theatrical release by the newly established Aztec International, screening in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide in May and on DVD in July 2005.

The Tour de France is the world’s premier cycling race, watched by millions of people around the world. The appeal is easily explained – the often stunning locations; the fierce international competition; the courage displayed in completing the course. Of all the endurance races worldwide, The Tour always takes highest priority, for cyclist and fans alike.

With the film Hell On Wheels, Academy Award winning director Pepe Danquart celebrates the 100th tour. Danquart focuses primarily on 2 German riders, Rolf Aldag, and the legendary nemesis of Australian sprinters, Erik Zabel. He picked a great year to document the race, as 2003 provided the most dramatic and exciting race for many decades.

Danquart’s narrative traces the history of the event, including some wonderful old footage, the media scrums, the crowds along the way and some brilliant racing action. But ultimately, it’s the rider portraits that make the film unique.

“I wanted to know what it takes to win the tour. In the team. In the body. In the mind. But also, what happens to the cyclists when it becomes clear that there will be no reward for their ordeal. When the open capitulation in face of physical exhaustion takes the place of victory”, says Danquart.

We share the riders pain and their triumphs. Credit for success is routinely shared with colleagues, both team-mates, and behind the scenes staffers alike. The massage tables are the source of tension relief prior to the race, and then the confessional after the body has been tortured all day.

Hell On Wheels sidesteps convention in identifying some of the raw, human aspects to the race. It’s the combination of grace and raw power that viewers are guaranteed each year. And Hell On Wheels offers them in spades, in a compelling visual document.

Climb01742
05-12-2005, 03:45 AM
thanks for the heads up. sounds great. will keep an eye out for it. what is the aussie press saying about the cricket and the cookie monster today?

cs124
05-12-2005, 06:27 AM
thanks for the heads up. sounds great. will keep an eye out for it. what is the aussie press saying about the cricket and the cookie monster today?

Not much happening in cricket. It's the off season so all anyone is interested in is what trouble Shane Warne has got himself into this time. Aussie rules football is the sport of choice for the mainstream press down here, well in Melbourne anyway.

As for the Cookie Monster, well, the mainstream press sees a brave young Aussie fighting for glory in a far away land pushed into the barriers by a cowardly, cheating foreigner. Cyclingnews.com has some great heat-of-the-moment quotes from Cookie but is otherwise fairly balanced. My opinion? Even though Cooke was clearly faster I don't think it was the smartest thing to try and pass between il Grillo and the barrier.

wasfast
05-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Not much happening in cricket. It's the off season so all anyone is interested in is what trouble Shane Warne has got himself into this time. Aussie rules football is the sport of choice for the mainstream press down here, well in Melbourne anyway.

by Cricket, he meant Bettini who's nickname in Italian means Cricket, not the sport.

cs124
05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
by Cricket, he meant Bettini who's nickname in Italian means Cricket, not the sport.

Aaahhh, well I answered that question too and you've learnt something about which you previously didn't know.

LegendRider
05-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Will it be available on DVD in the US?

zeroking17
05-13-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm ordering it from German Amazon. 11 Euro for DVD. 15 Euro for shipping.

Even though the shipping seems steep, my guess is that when it becomes available in the USA (if ever), it will retail for around $40.

The European dvd will play on any computer w/dvd drive, but may not be compatible with USAmerican dvd players (it's a regional technology thing).

P.S. Has anyone found an American source for this dvd that I'm not aware of?

spiderlake
05-17-2005, 06:18 PM
A friendly bump..... just wanted to see if anyone has found a source in the US for this DVD?!?!?! Thanks in advance!

BBB
05-20-2005, 02:26 AM
There is a review of this movie on the Cycling News website.

It is a great film and was shown in Adelaide as part of the Adelaide Film Festival back in February. It was a sell out.

The Cycling News review indicates that it will be available on Dvd in July.