PDA

View Full Version : vento v. fulcrum

wc1934
12-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I am looking to purchase a new set of wheels for rec riding - no racing. I am not very big and am currently using an old set of mavic sup reflex (hit a huge pothole- could not avoid it as there was traffic in both directions - rim now has a little flat spot).
I read 97csi's thread on campy wheels (you guys really know your stuff) and was set to purchase the campy ventos reaction, despite the tire mounting difficulties.
But, I continued to look around and am now intrigued by fulcrums racing 5 (however they are more expensive).
Are the 2 pretty similar in quality, bearings, and longevity etc etc etc? -
As always, looking forward to your input and suggestions.

AngryScientist
12-28-2010, 10:14 AM
i literally have thousands of trouble free miles on fulcrum racing 5's. they're fantastic wheels, and take a beating. they arent the lightest, but for their price, they are a very good basic training wheelset.

StellaBlue
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
5's are a real nice wheel for the price. Especially if weight is not an issue.

Stefan
12-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Fulcrum 5's were for sale on Bonktown yesterday foe $199. If you keep an eye out, I bet they will be back.

chuckred
12-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Have several thousand trouble free miles on some pretty rough roads on mine.

The only issue I've had is that I use them without rim strips and the edge of the valve hole is sharp enough to chew up tubes. I've tried to smooth it out, and stick a small piece of rim tape around it...

wc1934
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Fulcrum 5's were for sale on Bonktown yesterday foe $199. If you keep an eye out, I bet they will be back.

Stefan,
Thanks for the tip - lowest I could find them was for 240 plus 70 in shipping - that is quite a savings - worth the wait as i won't be riding til spring.

97CSI
12-28-2010, 04:41 PM
There is no issue with mounting tires on the new Vento rims. Was able to mount tires (new) using only my thumbs. Same was true on a new set of Zonda wheels. Took MUCH more effort to remove the tires from the Proton wheels the new sets replaced.

BTW - was $197, delivered, for my set of Vento wheels from Wiggle Cycles with the Xmas discount. Think they are about $15 more without the discount.