PDA

View Full Version : Wtb nitto pearl stem

rosss
12-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Wtb nitto pearl stem, 25.4 clamp, 10c-c

maximus
12-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Just a heads up that the pearl stems run large. I bought a "Pearl 10" from another forum member, not realizing that mean it was 110mm c-c. Ended up having to buy a "Pearl 9." Anyway, you may already know this...

If anyone is looking, I keep meaning to list the Pearl 10 w. 26.0 clamp.

GL on your search. I believe Bens Cycle has em.

Wilkinson4
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Confirming on the Pearl. 10.7mm is what you get on a 10mm stem. Seems to be only the Pearl. Also, the 25.4mm stem is NJS, and the 26.0mm is not iirc.

mIKE

lovebird
12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Yeah, the extension on Nitto quill stems is measured from the centerline of the quill to the centerline of the clamp along an imaginary line that is perpendicular to the quill. Other stem manufacturers measure along the actual extension on the top of the stem.

The bottom line is that on a Pearl 10 for instance the handlebars will be 100mm from the steerer (measured along the shortest distance - perpendicular to the steerer) while the top of the stem will measure about 107mm. So to compare with traditionally measured stems you need to add 7mm to the nitto listed size. The system sort of makes sense once you realize that not all stems have the same -17 degree traditional angle, so the nitto measurement will ensure that you get the reach you are looking for, but it is a little confusing if you don't realize what they are actually measuring. BTW, they are GREAT stems - I've got three of them on different bikes.

rosss
12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Yes i am aware of the reach differences and that the stem is njs (25.4)
Thanks though

pbjbike
12-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, the extension on Nitto quill stems is measured from the centerline of the quill to the centerline of the clamp along an imaginary line that is perpendicular to the quill. Other stem manufacturers measure along the actual extension on the top of the stem.

The bottom line is that on a Pearl 10 for instance the handlebars will be 100mm from the steerer (measured along the shortest distance - perpendicular to the steerer) while the top of the stem will measure about 107mm. So to compare with traditionally measured stems you need to add 7mm to the nitto listed size. The system sort of makes sense once you realize that not all stems have the same -17 degree traditional angle, so the nitto measurement will ensure that you get the reach you are looking for, but it is a little confusing if you don't realize what they are actually measuring. BTW, they are GREAT stems - I've got three of them on different bikes.

This so makes sense after your explanation. Thanks! :beer: