PDA

View Full Version : Karting: anybody here into it?

dd74
12-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I mean, this type of karting:

http://www.casalinda-portugal.com/Karting.jpg

While riding today, I met a motorcycle racer who trains on bicycles, but also races karts. Seems fun. Wondering if any of you guys have tried or done this.

Thx.

R2D2
12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Have a bud at work that did for years.
A ton of fun but expensive to keep things running ang competetive.

dd74
12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Have a bud at work that did for years.
A ton of fun but expensive to keep things running ang competetive.
Yeah, I've asked a couple track guys/club racers, who say karts are as expensive as race cars. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why that is.

maximus
12-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't say I am into it, but have been to a few legit karting tracks (NJ Motorsports Park and Summit Point). Recently did an enduro race with a few friends. It was humbling to say the least...

Karting is every bit as intense as the real thing. I have done some track days in my M3, but enjoy not worrying about getting tangled up with someones 911 turbo ;) My little experience with karting has been fun.

A lot of tracks have karts they will rent out and have instruction courses before hand which layout basic track etiquette and driving techniques. Its a great experience, not only for the fun of it, but to get some driving skills as well.

pdmtong
12-27-2010, 10:30 PM
only indoors here (http://www.gokartracer.com/index.php) and here (http://www.andrettikarting.com/)

a complete blast. 30 minutes getting thrown around and hauling a$$ was more than enough...

ti_boi
12-27-2010, 11:27 PM
I love to Kart! :beer:

dd74
12-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Funny, but I would think those who know how to handle a car (or kart) on a race track, would be that much more a formidable cyclist, particularly on a curvy downhill descent. I'm not saying four wheels can translate into two. But again, I'm not saying that they can't. One thing I've learned from the track that I've put in cycling is to not attempt to stir or accelerate in wet corners, FWIW.

Steve in SLO
12-28-2010, 01:47 AM
There is a kart track on site at our nearby racetrack. We used to rent karts for 1-2 hours prior to racing our cars. It is amazing how slow everything seems in cars after being in a kart...seems almost boring, but really helps in realizing that you have time for controlled input during dicey situations.

R2D2
12-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I've asked a couple track guys/club racers, who say karts are as expensive as race cars. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why that is.
If I remember correctly you are constantly rebuilding the engine. And you usually have two. And you go thru tires like tolilet tissue. Anyway if I hit the Lotto I'd love to try it.

christian
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I've asked a couple track guys/club racers, who say karts are as expensive as race cars.Those guys have never raced cars. Karts are great, cheap, and amazing fun/$ as motorsports go. But it's humbling to have your ass handed to you by a 60lb 8-year-old.

Louis
12-28-2010, 04:07 PM
But it's humbling to have your ass handed to you by a 60lb 8-year-old.

Same thing I'm thinking when a puny 135 lb guy whups me to the top of a climb...

Charles M
12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I know a few guys who are honest about why they dont like karts and prefer cars.

They're just guys who dont have the driving reflex to handle it and dont have the disciplin to keep their weight down. Then theres the reality that you can spend your way to success to a large degree in cars, but you wont beat more tallented guys in karting with darn near any budget.

There's a reason why most of the guys in formula 1 came through as champ level Kart racers.

I've enjoyed it every time I've had the chance.

Carl Strong
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I've done quite a bit of kart racing and love it. I don't anymore but they are trying to build a track in MT and if they do I'll buy another. I raced Sr. 125 shifters. That meant no 8 year olds passed me, only 16 year olds:)

I've also done a very limited amount of car racing and you can't even compare cost. A weekend of kart racing is about $400 once you are there. For a modest car you can easily triple that and if you want to race something as exhilarating as a kart (Atlantic) the cost can be astronomical.

Karts are easily the most bang for the buck when it comes to four wheels.

Bob Loblaw
12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
If I remember correctly you are constantly rebuilding the engine. And you usually have two. And you go thru tires like tolilet tissue. Anyway if I hit the Lotto I'd love to try it.

Depends on the class. You can run non-shifting 100cc karts, and your tires will last all season. The speeds are lower, but 60mph with your butt skimming the track feels pretty fast. It's been a while since I had any contact with the sport, but I believe a usable 100cc kart can still be had used for =/-$2k.

BL

rice rocket
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I've always done rental karts, and my kidneys take such a beating that I swear it off every time I do it. I get over it pretty quick though. I race with a group of friends wheel to wheel about twice a year, never had so much fun in my life. And once all your friends start bringing their own helmets and you know who punted you on the first session, you know who to return the favor to. ;) That said, I've never done it competitively, I'd for sure be ejected from a real kart race. :rolleyes:

I do track days in my full size car in the meantime. Started doing it in a Passat, and moved onto a 240SX and an S2000. Twin turbo RX-7 is now in the works. :cool: