PDA

View Full Version : Braking? More riding lessons

Lifelover
05-11-2005, 08:36 PM
So what are some of the things I should know about braking. For now stick with riding on flats and/or in a group. Descending is a topic all it's own.

My thought is fairly simple. The purpose of the front brake is to oppose forward motion and the purpose of the rear brake is to control forward motion.

What else is there? Are there braking drills I should practice? Panic stops, etc.

If front braking is more important why is it on the left? Assuming it's a right handed world.

Any opinions are welcome.

Dave
05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
is a bad thing. A locked front tire won't steer and a locked up rear isn't very useful either. The majority of the braking force is exerted by the front brake, same as any other vehicle. That's why Campy rear brakes are quite weak compared to the front. It's amazing how little braking is provided by the new single pivot campy rear brake, but it sure beats some of the overly powerful shimano brakes that can lock a rear tire with one finger.

Practicing quick and controlled stops is always taught in a motorcycle training course. The consequences of locked front or rear tires on a motorcycle can be very serious.

A google search on motorcycle steering or motorcycle training can yield a lot of info relevant to bicycle steering and braking. If you ride high speed mountain descents, understanding how a two-wheeled vehicle steers becomes real important. Crashes often occur when a rider fails to turn as sharply as a hairpin curve demands. A head-on with another vehicle can be the result.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnews/safe2.html

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

Can't tell you why the front brake is on the left, but there are those who change the cable routing, particularly those who ride motorcycles.

RichMc
05-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Can't tell you why the front brake is on the left, but there are those who change the cable routing, particularly those who ride motorcycles.[/QUOTE]

This is very easy. The front brake is usually on the left because the left lever is the front derailleur control as well. Right side lever controls the rear derailleur and rear brake. That's all. Change it if you want. Some do, like you say.

Too Tall
05-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Parking lot drills baby! Try all sorts of things and find your braking mojo in a saf(er) situation before you need it. Try fast stops in the drops, from the hoods etc. Don't be afraid of the front brake, it is your stopper. Learn to shift your weight low and behind the saddle as needed. For really hard fast braking your chest might be ON the saddle!

Put a cone or something in the middle of the parking lot and practice braking BEFORE the corner. The fastest way thru a 90 corner is to approach in a controlled manner, hit the apex while using very light brakes and get out of the saddle as you clear the apex. Many folks think the fastest way thru is to bomb into the corner, hit the brakes hard and accelerate out. Nope.

Last, when in a group use body language or your voice if necessary to indicate braking. Bob your head up in the general direction of the problem and or flick both elbows out will help alert folks as to your intentions.

Hope that helps doooood.

zap
05-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Life-One reason that the front brake lever is on the left is, as you stated, in a "right" world, you won't use quite as much hand force. As others stated, practice, experience and a few mistake here and there and you'll brake like a Pro.

TT-fastest way around a circuit is to brake really hard before turning in to the apex. Tires are really good at doing one thing at a time.

Too Tall
05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Ooooo. A challenge. I'll time you :) We proved this at the last race camp. My coach setup a stop watch and we timed 20+ riders through a tight TT turn around. What I said is valid for that situation. You are correct for a turn greater than 90.