PDA

View Full Version : Why can't every state do this?

BumbleBeeDave
12-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I found this on BikeRadar . . .

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-york-propose-drivers-take-bike-safety-class-28786

Why can't every state do this? I hope it passes here. In the long run I think things like this do far more good for cyclists than three-foot-clearance laws . . .

BBD

===============

New York propose drivers take bike-safety class

By Kirsten Frattini from Asheville, NC

Education is key in preventing bicycle versus car fatalities

The State of New York is taking steps the most important step in protecting cyclists — educating drivers. The city recently introduced a piece of legislation for pre-licensed drivers to learn about bike safety.

The New York State Senate is expected to vote in favor of the Bill 8487 during the next legislative session in January.

“Awareness is key for safety in the streets,” said Joe Sharkey, Brooklyn Cyclists and Time’s Up! Volunteer worked with the Senator Eric Adams and his office to promote the bill. “Pointing things out to people in an educational setting goes a long way to making people aware. And it is all as simple as looking for a split second before you open a door. The unit proposed would be to raise awareness of all vulnerable road users, not just cyclists.”

Senator Adams introduced the bill in response to a tragic death of 23-year-old cyclist Jasmine Herron who was knocked off her bike by an open parked car door and then hit by a bus on Atlantic Avenue in Clinton Hill New York last September.

The New York Times reported that there were 21 cyclist fatalities as a result of street accidents in 2008, based on the city’s most recent accident study. Sharkey believes that Senator Adam’s bill could achieve concrete results by expanding bike safety education to all drivers, not just new drivers.

“The course should also be a part of traffic school for reckless drivers who endanger pedestrians and cyclists,” Sharkey said. “It should be mandatory for all city and state agencies which operate motor vehicles in New York that use tax dollars such as the police, responsible for traffic law enforcement, who often look the other way when vulnerable street users are carelessly put at risk, could do a better job with this training.”

City riding on the rise

Transportation Alternatives, an advocacy group that works for better public walking and bicycling and public transportation, estimated that 230,000 people ride their bikes daily in New York City. The increase is largely due to the building of new cycling infrastructure such as bike lanes, many of which run alongside sections of on-street parking.

“Motor vehicles are deadly when operated carelessly,” Sharkey said. “In a high-density city like New York, where the majority of people walk, bike, or use other sustainable, yet vulnerable forms of transportation, it is essential that those street users with the greatest potential to cause harm be properly trained on how to safely operate their vehicles and share the road.

Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries has partnered with Senator Adams on passing the bill, according to Sharkey. “He seems confident, and it seems like an easy bill to rally around in its current form,” he said. “I can't see why any politician would not see the benefits of passing this bill that will save lives.”

The proposed Bill 8487 is similar to the new Bike Aware campaign launched by David Love in the UK. Love’s proposal takes on a more practical approach by requiring new drivers to test their cycling awareness and ability.

You can follow BikeRadar on Twitter at twitter.com/bikeradar and on Facebook at facebook.com/BikeRadar.

eddief
12-27-2010, 06:23 PM
big public awareness program via billboard (i hate billboards, but...) about a golden rule of drivers getting along with cyclists and vice versa. neither are going away and we have to somehow share the road.

create real public awareness in the city about training drivers to check the outside rear view mirror before opening the door. (i try to remember to do this as a driver, but i forget too).

train drivers to simply use their f-ing turn signals. think of how much safer driving and cycling would be if we all simply clicked the f-ing thing by the steering wheel each time we move to the right or left. i really pay attention to this now as a driver. just notice how often, what % of the time you, other drivers don't signal their intentions. drives me nuts.

government run (B)ike(S)safety. right on. The new BS political party.

onekgguy
12-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree but make this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo) a part of the package.

Kevin g

mike p
12-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Video won't load. What's the name of it?

Mike

Ahneida Ride
12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Just like virtually every other state.
NYS is 50 Billion is debt
(plus or minus, Hey what is a few Billion here or there?)

Who is gonna pay for this? NYS can't create frns outa thin air.
Only the fed preserve can do that.

Manhattan is insane, Bikes coming at cha from all directions.
How are we going to require cyclists to stop these various
angles of attack?

In less congested areas, motorist education would help.
and probably help immensely.

I see cyclists do too may stupid things which I'm sure piss off
motorists and they take out their outrage on another cyclists.
Just go out a large group ride and see cyclists hogging the road with
zero justification.

rugbysecondrow
12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I agree. We can educate motorists, but how does that impact the crappy way many cyclists ride? What good does it do for motorists to know the rules if cyclists won't follow them?

A handshake requires two hands to be successful. We can act as advocates for change with regard to motorists, but cyclists need to take severe responsibility for their actions.

Just like virtually every other state.
NYS is 50 Billion is debt
(plus or minus, Hey what is a few Billion here or there?)

Who is gonna pay for this? NYS can't create frns outa thin air.
Only the fed preserve can do that.

Manhattan is insane, Bikes coming at cha from all directions.
How are we going to require cyclists to stop these various
angles of attack?

In less congested areas, motorist education would help.
and probably help immensely.

I see cyclists do too may stupid things which I'm sure piss off
motorists and they take out their outrage on another cyclists.
Just go out a large group ride and see cyclists hogging the road with
zero justification.

Fixed
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
i was there last summer it is the best place in the world if you have money and like
music, art . cen. park to ride in looked ok too ..
cheers

Ahneida Ride
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
There is the group of cyclist who should know better ..
and still pull ***s?

and there are the guys who just hop on a bike and ride.
Anything this groups does effects the above group.

To a Motorist, an ahole is an ahole, they do not differentiate
between groups.

and I fully admit I have pulled a-hole moves.
But I do make a conscious effort to mitigate em.

At the very least, motorist tests / drivers ed should discuss
cyclists and their needs.

My promise to the distinguished members here is that I try
to ride in a fashion that pisses off drivers in the least.

maxdog
12-27-2010, 08:05 PM
i was there last summer it is the best place in the world if you have money and like
music, art . cen. park to ride in looked ok too ..
cheers

+1 Many moons ago, when I lived and worked down there, I rode central park regularly. Route 9 and north shore of LI are good too.
Money definitely a requirement for quality life in the big city.

Louis
12-28-2010, 02:46 AM
Since that's unlikely to happen here in Missouri, I'll gladly trade drivers not taking the class for them treating cyclists with half the consideration they themselves would expect from a fellow human being if they were in similar circumstances.

William
12-28-2010, 04:51 AM
I agree. We can educate motorists, but how does that impact the crappy way many cyclists ride? What good does it do for motorists to know the rules if cyclists won't follow them?

A handshake requires two hands to be successful. We can act as advocates for change with regard to motorists, but cyclists need to take severe responsibility for their actions.

Unfortunately It's the A-hole cyclists that most motorists will remember, not the ones who ride within the law.

William

TimmyB
12-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Unfortunately It's the A-hole cyclists that most motorists will remember, not the ones who ride within the law.

William
Just as it's the A-hole motorists that most cyclists will remember, not the ones who drive within the law ;).

Education is a good thing. I wish more states would do it! While it may not put a dent in the problem (that both cyclists and cars create), at least it shows from a policy standpoint that there IS an issue that needs to be addressed and the gov IS trying to do something about the negative interactions between motorists and cyclists. /stepsoffsoapbox.

William
12-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Just as it's the A-hole motorists that most cyclists will remember, not the ones who drive within the law ;).

Education is a good thing. I wish more states would do it! While it may not put a dent in the problem (that both cyclists and cars create), at least it shows from a policy standpoint that there IS an issue that needs to be addressed and the gov IS trying to do something about the negative interactions between motorists and cyclists. /stepsoffsoapbox.

Absolutely! :beer:

William

zap
12-28-2010, 02:06 PM

54ny77
12-28-2010, 03:36 PM
it's easy: just make every drivers license applicant ride a bike for an hour here on various city streets. :banana:

onekgguy
12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Video won't load. What's the name of it?

Mike

Selective Attention Test

Try this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

Kevin g