PDA

View Full Version : Srm?

spartacus
12-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone got an SRM power gizmo, and what do you think of it please?

Bruce K
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I use Power Taps but I had this discussion the other day with the LBS.

SRMs are really nice but super pricey. The big plus is not as much added weight as a Power Tap and complete flexibility with wheel sets.

There are now a couple of other systems on the market that offer the same flexibility as SRM for a much less money.

If you aren't changing wheels and aren't a total weight weenie then Power Taps work just fine.

BK

John H.
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
SRM is the gold standard because it works the best. Best sealed for weather, user can alter slope, etc. Costs the most too.
Quarq is cool- only drawbacks are that you are stuck with a Garmin for a head unit (not a drawaback for some- some might even like it better. I prefer SRM powercontrol), and that user cannot change the slope.
Best deal in town for reliable power has got to be a used wired SRM- you can get a used Dura-Ace 7800 wired SRM for about $1000 if you look around. It will outperform anything in its price range.

SpeedyChix
12-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Have used SRMs, Quarq CinQo and PowerTaps. They all have their +/-. SRMs need to get shipped back about once a year for battery change. Slope check/set on a reg. basis takes a bit more time than the others. Used wired units can be found for reasonable $. I'd have a hard time spending the $$$ for a new wireless SRM.

I've run powertaps on the mtb, cx and road. Have not had any issues with them. Just restricts wheel choice. Have been running a CinQo all of this year road and cx, happy so far.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2010, 07:49 AM
I use Power Taps but I had this discussion the other day with the LBS.

SRMs are really nice but super pricey. The big plus is not as much added weight as a Power Tap and complete flexibility with wheel sets.

There are now a couple of other systems on the market that offer the same flexibility as SRM for a much less money.

If you aren't changing wheels and aren't a total weight weenie then Power Taps work just fine.

BK

Another point about Powertap hubs is that as a power measure system they gets a A-, B+. As a hub tho, they are about C-/D+. Lots of toasted bearings early on and most attempts to remove dead bearing result in gooning up the electrics so back to Powertap/Saris they go for big $ and lost time.

nm87710
12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Best deal in town for reliable power has got to be a used wired SRM- you can get a used Dura-Ace 7800 wired SRM for about $1000 if you look around.

Heed these words. You can spend a lot more and get a lot less.

SpeedyChix
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by John H.
Best deal in town for reliable power has got to be a used wired SRM- you can get a used Dura-Ace 7800 wired SRM for about $1000 if you look around.

Heed these words. You can spend a lot more and get a lot less.

This is VERY true. The wired SRM DA or square taper Campy set ups are a good value.

doofus 2.0
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
thirds on the wired SRM

next up would be a Quarq+Edge 500 (Quarqs are hetting hard to get though...small company with rising demand)

all that said, I'm happy with two powertap wheels. training clincher and racing deep carbon.

(should've quarq'ed, but got a campy UT crank for birthday...seemed dumb to buy a quarq rather than just rebuilding race wheel with a powertap)

PM me if you're interested in a DA wireless SRM. have an ex-teammate who is selling some stuff....