PDA

View Full Version : conquering fear of riding

Fixed
12-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Anyone ever feel this way ?
I rode my bike today. the first time in a couple of years .
I rode a lot once did a bunch of wild stuff , felt like a cat that used 8 lives up .
happy holidays
cheers

Ken Robb
12-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Welcome back Old Pal! Merry Xmas. Yep, I have been really considering how much traffic I expect on various roads. I find that I'm no longer willing to ride some of the busier ones that did not used to bother me.
I can't help thinking that sooner or later the law of averages will catch up with me.

T.J.
12-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Not sure I've ever felt that way but it's great to see you back on here

regularguy412
12-24-2010, 08:15 PM
.... Knew there was something special 'bout this Christmas.

:)

Mike in AR

oliver1850
12-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I have, now and again. I don't like to hit the pavement but still do occasionally.
Have had a broken collarbone and concussion from bike crashes, and some other hard knocks on the head, mostly involving farm machinery. Once in a while I get the sensation that I'm due for another (worse) blow to the head. Luckily it doesn't ever happen on the bike, and it doesn't keep me from riding.

I hope you didn't feel bad on the bike today, and that you can continue to ride, safely.

Smiley
12-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Man Fixed has come back, Merry X Mass for sure :banana:

spiderman
12-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I got hit by a car in may and had quite a concussion.
Not easy getting back in the saddle...
...Felt awkward on the bike until about august.

thegunner
12-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I rode a lot once did a bunch of wild stuff , felt like a cat that used 8 lives up .
happy holidays
cheers

i haven't been around as long as some of the other guys... mind sharing your tale?

chuckroast
12-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Fixed, welcome back and happy holidays to you.

Don't think of it as conquering fear. Think of it as being a smarter rider as we all grow older and more experienced.

It's ok to pick the right situation for riding.

alancw3
12-24-2010, 09:42 PM
welcome back fixed. lately i am feeling more and more like trying either mountain biking or cross as a way of getting off the roads as they have become more crowded. i have had several close calls and am starting to wonder if the law of averages is catching up to me. my most comfortable riding now seems to be at sunrise on sunday mornings when traffic is almost nonexistant up to about nine o'clock. also am riding bike paths more now.

R2D2
12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Glad you're back on.

mike p
12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Welcome back fixed. Great to hear from you again! Like many here I have just one fear on the bike...Cars! I've been hit three times in my years on the bike. Luckly never to bad, but with all the negative stuff you read on the net about car bike accidents and lives ruined, well it can scare you a little. Hang in there fixed.

Mike

Wilkinson4
12-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, I usually it out of my head but as I have gotten older I have less tolerance for close calls and traffic. So, I ride smarter and I have been spending a lot of time on back country dirt roads.

No cars, and hours of good hard riding. Try it, you'll like it!

mIKE

Lifelover
12-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Dirt roads are not an option for me but MUTS are. While MUTS present a different kind of danger, I feel that the leave me in much more control than on the road.

Besides avoiding cars, the number one thing it does to improve on safety is bringing down your speed. So many cyclist claim to ride to get a work out but than do everything they can to make riding faster, easier. When I do my MUT rides, I choose a bike with the specific intent of making it harder to pedal. Fat tires at lower pressures, more upright (wind) position and maybe loaded down with a rear rack and bag.

I use a SS MTB with slicks, A FS MTB with semi slicks or a touring bike. Reducing you speed by increasing the required effort offers multiple benefits other than safety. You need fewer miles to get in the same length (time wise) ride and, in cold weather you get less wind chill.

It is not uncommon for me to go out on a 35+ mile ride in street clothes and still get a pretty good work out. This type of riding is also much better for exploring and seeing the world.

I'm stunned by how few people ride like this. It is by far my favorite and by far the safest.

Ken Robb
12-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Muts??

bironi
12-25-2010, 12:20 AM
multi-use trails. :beer:

Louis
12-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Years ago I used to live a few miles from one of the first paved walk / skate / bike trail systems around here. I would guess that I had ten time more close calls per mile on the trail than I had on the road. The problem, of course, is that you're likely to pay a much higher price tangling with a car or truck than you are on the trail.

gasman
12-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Fixed-good to see you here. I think if you don't have some fear on the road you are denial about the possible dangers. If you have been away for a while you aren't used to dealing with the fear-I had the same thing happen when I started rock climbing more last year after cutting way back for years. Kind of a balance of being aware of potential dangers and denying them control over you. Still, I ride/rock climb a lot differently than when I was 20.
Cheers hope you have a good holiday.

Ti Designs
12-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Fixed,

Seems like every spring I face a small army of people with the same issues. I'm not gonna try to tell you where to ride where it's safer. You've lived this long (you didn't really have 8 lives to waste), so it comes down to a question of risks vs. advantages. I deal with people who haven't been on a bike or do indoor cycling, getting out on the road is a hard first step to take. The trick is to see the advantages, reduce the risks and gain confidence in your own skills. It sounds simple, don't it?

If you're ever in the Boston area we should go for a ride. Don't worry, I'll tell each and every driver not to hit you.

victoryfactory
12-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Fixed.

rwsaunders
12-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Merry Christmas for sure...I did a double take when I saw your post, Fixed...just ride it.

soulspinner
12-25-2010, 06:31 AM
The musical messenger returns,

Namaste bro :hello:

PaMtbRider
12-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Good advice from Ti designs. When I use to teach motorcycle safety we always stressed: risk awareness, risk acceptance. Once you consciously recognize and accept the risk in any activity you can then start to minimize the risk. Take it slow and rediscover the passion you once had. Welcome back.

ti_boi
12-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Well sir! Good to hear from you again. Fear may just be a little wisdom. :beer:

Fear tends to inform us. Humble us. Keep us safe. The road is not a scary place for me. It never has been. Perhaps I should have more fear or at least awareness. I was hit by a car once as a kid and I was fine. Car shoots out of a blind alley and bang smacks right into me sending me off the ol' 5-speed. I jumped up and went about my business.

Always have an exit path. I ride m/c too without fear. For some reason I feel in control, so I am not frightened. Control your speed and your vision. If you can see em they can't kill you right? It's the stuff you don't see that is lethal. Watch for intersections. They are killing grounds.

Climb01742
12-25-2010, 06:51 AM
fixed, i did a double-take, too, when i saw this thread. thought maybe someone had resurrected an old thread of yours. so glad you're back! your spirit was missed. as for your question...with time, i'd guess the fear would lessen. having been off the bike for awhile, might it be more unfamiliarity than fear? with a few more rides, maybe it will fade.

welcome back to the bike...and welcome home. :beer:

happycampyer
12-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Every time Fixed posts, an angel gets its wings!

Welcome back and Merry X-mas, Fixed!

forrestw
12-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Oddly enough I've hardly ever had fear on a bike -- excepting when bad stuff is in the offing.

Which doesn't mean I can't relate to what you're saying, when I returned to rock climbing in the early '00s after several years of not, I was fine with bouldering, just a few feet in the air and solid landings. However, climbing roped was no small amount of scary the first few times and the first dozen times I had to hang out belaying (therefore without the climbing to focus on) I would be terrified. After a bad lead fall I was a little ginger going on lead but managed and got my head back in a few weeks and taking it easy meantime.

Coming back to a bicycle hasn't ever been a problem, more the opposite. Breaking a collarbone a couple of years ago left me eager to get back on the bike ASAP, granted I took a few months to do another crit and was pretty cautious the next time I raced.

Also, Merry Xmas!

SoCalSteve
12-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Welcome back Fixed, you have been TRULY missed!

Hope you stick around for awhile and share some of your wisdom, experience and your truly never ending optimism...

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Health and happiness to you in the coming year.

Steve

avalonracing
12-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Get a bike with a freehub and your fear will melt away like this morning's snow.

Fixed
12-25-2010, 09:56 AM
thank you i am going out again today as soon as i find my box of cycling gear ..
I am going to get a (HELMET ) and obey all the traffic laws.
this time around i will not try to be the biggest jerk around on a fix like breaking every law regarding bikes .
.I have nothing to prove on the bike like how crazy i can be on a bike
cheers

slowgoing
12-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Welcome back. I wondered what happened to you.

Hey, how's your son's bike racing career going?

Pete Serotta
12-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Welcome back - hope to see you on the rode and at handmade show. PETE

Fixed
12-25-2010, 10:16 AM
my son is a very good pianist he was at eastman music school 3 weeks this last summer ,what ai beautiful place .. he will be in college next year he has been accepted to f.s.u. in the honors college ..u.f. will let us know soon
he is also trying yale(deferred)northwestern and mcgill in canada. thanks for asking
cheers

1centaur
12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
One way I approached apprehension of riding on the road was riding in a way that allowed only intent or extreme randomness to be a threat. Both are so rare that I am comfortable playing those odds.

Smooth, visible, predictable, aware, edging slightly right as a car passes, listening to engine sounds and understanding how drivers want to beat cyclists through blind corners as part of some animal competitive instinct. All those elements affect the odds.

That said, I am lucky to be living where roads are relatively quiet. If I lived in a dense urban area I think I would not ride often because too much of the experience would be about enduring and surviving rather than enjoying.

thwart
12-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome back, and good to hear you're riding.

Sounds like your son is certainly doing you proud. That's great!

Dekonick
12-25-2010, 12:44 PM
happy holidays
cheers

Good to hear from you! Welcome back!

doofus 2.0
12-25-2010, 01:08 PM
nice to hear you're back on the bike, butch

keep it up

jmeloy
12-25-2010, 02:34 PM
for those of you who weren't around during the last incarnation of fixed he was the most positive supportive voice on the forum. REALLY glad you are back buddy!

palincss
12-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Muts??

Multi Use Trails

Fixed
12-25-2010, 03:06 PM
ride went great
thanks for the welcome
and ideas .
got to find my box of gear ..
cheers

bironi
12-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Cheers back at ya. :beer:

Fixed
12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13565&stc=1
my bike it rides itself cheers
imho

DRZRM
12-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Man Butch,

It is great to see you back here, I've often wondered how you've been doing lately. Merry Christmas!!! Glad to hear you are back out on a bike, and glad to hear aout your son! The very best in the New Year!

Take care bro! You are really missed around here!

Best,

Zach

tbushnel
12-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Glad your back in the saddle.
Happy holidays.
Ted

mnoble485
12-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Butch,
I am in the process of recovering from knee replacement surgery and have also felt the fear fo riding. I talked tom my surgeon about what would happen if I fell and he said I would end up with road rash.

Come join me in Lakeland and we can ride the Van Fleeet Trail.

Mike

ti_boi
12-26-2010, 06:51 AM
One way I approached apprehension of riding on the road was riding in a way that allowed only intent or extreme randomness to be a threat. Both are so rare that I am comfortable playing those odds.

Smooth, visible, predictable, aware, edging slightly right as a car passes, listening to engine sounds and understanding how drivers want to beat cyclists through blind corners as part of some animal competitive instinct. All those elements affect the odds.

That said, I am lucky to be living where roads are relatively quiet. If I lived in a dense urban area I think I would not ride often because too much of the experience would be about enduring and surviving rather than enjoying.

B I N G O, well put. as usual.

Fixed
12-26-2010, 09:53 AM
thank you
i used to feel like i was out to do battle everyday with cars , sooner or later i lose .
the thought of my wife picking up the pieces and taking care me was a big worry . but i missed riding and i also missed the group support i get from you cats and your kind words really do warm my heart and ease my mind
cheers

thwart
12-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Over the years I can't think of anyone around here with a more positive message.

So... you reap what you sow, and well-deserved, too. :banana:

Ozz
12-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Fixed-bro,

good to hear from you! Best wishes getting back onto the bike!

PaulE
12-26-2010, 12:32 PM
So nice to have you back! I broke my collarbone and a few others 7 years ago in a bike accident that had nothing to do with cars. It took me quite a while to really get back but it came with time. It will for you too if you want it. Please don't be a stranger. Now that winter is upon us, we can use your sage advice.

FlashUNC
12-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Welcome back. I went down in a crit a couple years back, and it took me a good month or two before I was comfortable again on the bike. Still don't descend the same way as I did before when I was 19 and stupid.

There's a balance you can find with taking risks and still enjoying the sport.

But baby steps, and good to hear you're getting back on the bike.

Fixed
12-26-2010, 08:17 PM
3 days in a row around an hour each time .
cheers

Keith A
12-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Fixed,

Really glad to see you both riding and posting on the forum...welcome back to both of these worlds.

As for your original question, several years ago I was hit from behind by a van and was fortunately thrown off my bike onto the the side of the road. I was banged up a bit, but not seriously injured. Once my wounds healed, I climbed back in the saddle again and felt ok...that is until a car approached me from behind which completely freaked me out!!! So much so, I ran off the road and was shaking like a leaf. Just the sound of the approaching car triggered the memory of the van hitting me. It took me quite a while before I was able to be comfortable when a car passed me. For me, the answer was to just keep riding and each day it got a little better.

Fixed
12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
thanks everybody for the help
cheers

onekgguy
12-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I have to echo Keith's words. I was taken down by a dog and hit my helmeted head hard enough to lose consciousness. It was a couple years before I could ride without fear that a dog was going to run out in front of me at any moment.

Doing what you've been doing the last 3 days is the best medicine.

Welcome back.

Kevin g

snah
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Fixed,

Really glad to see you both riding and posting on the forum...welcome back to both of these worlds.

As for your original question, several years ago I was hit from behind by a van and was fortunately thrown off my bike onto the the side of the road. I was banged up a bit, but not seriously injured. Once my wounds healed, I climbed back in the saddle again and felt ok...that is until a car approached me from behind which completely freaked me out!!! So much so, I ran off the road and was shaking like a leaf. Just the sound of the approaching car triggered the memory of the van hitting me. It took me quite a while before I was able to be comfortable when a car passed me. For me, the answer was to just keep riding and each day it got a little better.

Again, what he said. Never was afraid to ride with traffic, but this year wasn't the best. Taken down twice by the 4 wheelers and ran off the rode by an inattentive head on driver. Found that my comfort zone has gotten much wider and what used to be considered close is now way to close. But, good news is it gets a little better with each mile on the road.

If you've got the time, would love to hear the story, what took you off the bike?

Glad you're back as well. :)

Ken Robb
12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
my son is a very good pianist he was at eastman music school 3 weeks this last summer ,what ai beautiful place .. he will be in college next year he has been accepted to f.s.u. in the honors college ..u.f. will let us know soon
he is also trying yale(deferred)northwestern and mcgill in canada. thanks for asking
cheers

Just for fun have your son look into Pipe Organ Encounter put on in various places by the American Guild of Organists. Young pianists get some really good instruction from some of the best teachers in the country, make new friends with similar interests, and get to play some of the best organs around. AGO subsidizes the program so the cost is reasonable.

Every year some of the participants shift their emphasis to the organ after trying it. As one of Leslie's former students told me: "I love piano but when I got to control all of THIS I knew it was the instrument for me. She now has Bachelor's and Master's from Julliard, Fullbright, post-grad studies in organ at Yale and is a touring pro based in NYC. It's not like she lacked options as she was early-accepted at Harvard as a Math Major but the "King of Instruments" had her. It's so cool to see someone absolutely in love with their job.

Fixed
12-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Just for fun have your son look into Pipe Organ Encounter put on in various places by the American Guild of Organists. Young pianists get some really good instruction from some of the best teachers in the country, make new friends with similar interests, and get to play some of the best organs around. AGO subsidizes the program so the cost is reasonable.

Every year some of the participants shift their emphasis to the organ after trying it. As one of Leslie's former students told me: "I love piano but when I got to control all of THIS I knew it was the instrument for me. She now has Bachelor's and Master's from Julliard, Fullbright, post-grad studies in organ at Yale and is a touring pro based in NYC. It's not like she lacked options as she was early-accepted at Harvard as a Math Major but the "King of Instruments" had her. It's so cool to see someone absolutely in love with their job.

thanks ken i have been waiting for him to get a chance to try the king out .
i pass the info to him .
cheers

Fixed
12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=snah]
If you've got the time, would love to hear the story, what took you off the bike?

no one thing just a feeling on impending doom . I going to be more careful from now on .. imho
cheers

ti_boi
12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
When I was riding regularly I would lick my index finger and poke it toward the sky, feeling the which way the wind was blowing that day. More than once I jut passed. Felt the vibe was wrong. Do the same thing when I board. Same deal. Gotta commit. Or not. :beer:

Ken Robb
12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=snah]

no one thing just a feeling on impending doom . I going to be more careful from now on .. imho
cheers

You had an "Ah-Hah" moment. If you haven't done so read various pieces written by Gran Petersen on the Rivendell site about riding for fun. Sometimes competitive and/or agressive riding is fun and sometimes it's not. I think the older we get the less often it's fun. I know for a fact that my stunt five years ago when I cleared 3.5 steps out of 4 and got slammed face-first into the concrete at the UCSD Library made me think my stunting days should end. I'm 67 and I don't heal as fast as I did when I was only 60. :) My acceptable risk/reward ratio has changed a lot.

snah
12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=Fixed]

You had an "Ah-Hah" moment. If you haven't done so read various pieces written by Gran Petersen on the Rivendell site about riding for fun. Sometimes competitive and/or agressive riding is fun and sometimes it's not. I think the older we get the less often it's fun. I know for a fact that my stunt five years ago when I cleared 3.5 steps out of 4 and got slammed face-first into the concrete at the UCSD Library made me think my stunting days should end. I'm 67 and I don't heal as fast as I did when I was only 60. :) My acceptable risk/reward ratio has changed a lot.

Kudos for trying the stair trick! 20+ years your junior and you wouldn't catch me tryen, not now or 20+ years ago. :beer:

Ken Robb
12-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I was THAT close to success, too. :)

Dave B
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Butch,

Glad to have you back man! Now if we can keep you entertained and get Sandy back in the regular flow then my world will finally be complete!

Hey when you and your son wisen up we can talk IU school of Music. If I recall his wonderful mother was a grad there and let us be honest, top notch music happens here baybee! :beer:

So glad to have you back man, just aces in my book! Enjoy whatever cycling you are up for and know we all are stoked to have you back int he fold!

Fixed
12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Butch,

Glad to have you back man! Now if we can keep you entertained and get Sandy back in the regular flow then my world will finally be complete!

Hey when you and your son wisen up we can talk IU school of Music. If I recall his wonderful mother was a grad there and let us be honest, top notch music happens here baybee! :beer:

So glad to have you back man, just aces in my book! Enjoy whatever cycling you are up for and know we all are stoked to have you back int he fold!
hey thanks bro
I.U. is a great music school one of the best . i am hoping he goes to grad school there
when this big ordeal come to a screeching stop i think he will be at u.f.
piano auditions are tough imho cheers

cheers

Ken Robb
12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
hey thanks bro
I.U. is a great music school one of the best . i am hoping he goes to grad school there
when this big ordeal come to a screeching stop i think he will be at u.f.
piano auditions are tough imho cheers

cheers
Leslie's good pal is head of Piano Dept. at San Diego State U.

zap
12-28-2010, 02:19 PM
cheers

First........welcome back.

Been there a few times....the feeling something not so nice is going to happen.

What helps me is going on a chill ride further out on quiet roads. Off road helps too as does riding the tandem........motorists notice tandems.

Fixed
12-28-2010, 03:27 PM
yesterday i rode 2 hours with a coffee stop in the middle a cool couple of days here
today i hour and i got the bike high today, you know that feeling when you walk in the house and go straight to the refrigerator .
imho
cheers

jmeloy
12-28-2010, 05:12 PM
yesterday i rode 2 hours with a coffee stop in the middle a cool couple of days here
today i hour and i got the bike high today, you know that feeling when you walk in the house and go straight to the refrigerator .
imho
cheers
NOW fixed is back!

PBWrench
12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Fixed - welcome back! Still doing good deeds and wearing your ATMO cap? I fractured my pelvis after a spill on a tight turn several years ago and I still think too much when carving a turn now. Cheers, PBW

jakez
12-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Welcome back!
Give it time and you'll get comfortable again. I had a major bike accident five years ago (landed on my face). It was challenging to get back riding and feel comfortable again. I still don't like riding behind other people unless I know them really well, but I still enjoy riding.