PDA

View Full Version : Help me find Rugby a TT bike

Smiley
12-24-2010, 02:46 PM
We'll it happened today. The dreaded e-mail for help trying to find a friend and client a TT bike. Knowing what I know makes finding an off the shelf TT maching for Rugby hard. Seems like Scott and Giant don't make BIG TT machines, forget Cervelo too. Wow, been awhile since I did a TT bike for a client my last being a Scott for a women that works for Under Armour and that bike fit her like a glove. Man oh man will finding a 57 cm TT with a 83 cm stand over bike be really hard. Any ideas cause this could be an adventure for sure.

Once I can find something I can model it on my size cycle and see if it will work for Rugby before he goes out and buys it. Don't want him to break the bank on a limited function bike either.

thegunner
12-24-2010, 02:56 PM
does the felt b2 (in the 60 iteration) not come close to those pre-reqs? the 57 TT is a check, the standover portion is ~a 79, which feels more or less... correct given the sizing for a more aggressive position.

Smiley
12-24-2010, 03:07 PM
does the felt b2 (in the 60 iteration) not come close to those pre-reqs? the 57 TT is a check, the standover portion is ~a 79, which feels more or less... correct given the sizing for a more aggressive position.

maybe, Thanks as I checked three websites so far Cervelo, Giant and Scott. I figured u guys would chime in with better ideas.

Bruce K
12-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Specialized Transition or S-Works go pretty big.

BK

Smiley
12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Specialized Transition or S-Works go pretty big.

BK
that is one UGLY Bike and besides the geometry spec's are very in complete. No STA and no real TT to mimic stuff that u'd want to know for sure but geeze that is one pathetic looking bike. I saw an earlier model that a client of mine had but I was not impressed then either.

thegunner
12-24-2010, 04:13 PM
that is one UGLY Bike and besides the geometry spec's are very in complete. No STA and no real TT to mimic stuff that u'd want to know for sure but geeze that is one pathetic looking bike. I saw an earlier model that a client of mine had but I was not impressed then either.

you said he was looking to go light on the wallet, but the shiv is a gorgeous bike. in the XL config, it's a 55.5 TT (although it's deceptive given the 'inline stem' style). i'd venture a guess that could accommodate a pretty big rider...

Smiley
12-24-2010, 04:31 PM
you said he was looking to go light on the wallet, but the shiv is a gorgeous bike. in the XL config, it's a 55.5 TT (although it's deceptive given the 'inline stem' style). i'd venture a guess that could accommodate a pretty big rider...
actually the spec's on the Felt looks better. The issue is the STA and Felt has an optional post that allows for more set back which then makes the TT longer. Thanks

oliver1850
12-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Valdora's medium has a 55.5 top tube with a 76 degree STA.

Bruce K
12-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Parlee's TT frame in XL or XL Tall has a 57.5cm top tube if you need it.

They aren't the most attractive or lightest on the wallet but the fit might be better.

BK

rugbysecondrow
12-24-2010, 07:56 PM
It is true. I am looking for a value tri bike that will suit my needs well for some of the races I do in the summer. I have some friendly competition with some buddies which has upped the anty so I am looking for a ride. I emailed Smiley as I want to do it right and once, so better to pull him into the process earlier rather than later. Anyway, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions, keep it coming.

Merry Christmas

Smiley
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Plastique bikes Rugby ....ahhh

any weight limits cause I fear you will crush these :)

rugbysecondrow
12-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I think the valdora had an aluminum model. I am fine with not going carbon, that is not an issue all.

oliver1850
12-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Valdora does have an aluminum bike. The complete bikes are priced at $1150. The geometry is pretty much the same as the carbon ones, I think. Do you have an idea where you want the seat fore/aft? You could go with the large (58cm tt), if a more forward seat positon would work. I have a friend whose main focus is triathlons (up to IronMan lengths). He has a bent forward seatpost on his Valdora. He's arrived at the positon by 15 years of trial and error. I'm not necessarily recommending that for you. I just don't know what the guidelines are for setting your fore/aft position on a time trial bike. Generally a more forward postion than a road bike, but how much is too much?

Also, is a used bike out of the question?

alancw3
12-24-2010, 09:54 PM
cannondale slice size 60. tt 57.5 standover 82.2:

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/Bikes/Road/Triathlon-TT/Slice/

available in several component configurations.

Dekonick
12-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Dang Paul! Why not a tig'd KB? Do it once, do it right!

rice rocket
12-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Orbeas go up to a 57.5 TT as well. They have the Ora, which comes in at a (relatively) affordable $2699 w/ 105 components.

If you don't want krabon, the Giant Trinity 0 is aluminum, $1700. 105/Ultegra mix w/ DA shifters. 56.5 TT, close enough? Trek's aluminum Speed Concept is the same 56.5 TT, but $1850.

Edit: Felt B16 is $2000. Krabon fyber. Ultegra derailleurs w/ a crappy FSA crank.

rugbysecondrow
12-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Valdora does have an aluminum bike. The complete bikes are priced at $1150. The geometry is pretty much the same as the carbon ones, I think. Do you have an idea where you want the seat fore/aft? You could go with the large (58cm tt), if a more forward seat positon would work. I have a friend whose main focus is triathlons (up to IronMan lengths). He has a bent forward seatpost on his Valdora. He's arrived at the positon by 15 years of trial and error. I'm not necessarily recommending that for you. I just don't know what the guidelines are for setting your fore/aft position on a time trial bike. Generally a more forward postion than a road bike, but how much is too much?

Also, is a used bike out of the question?
A used bike would be preferred, I have time to look also so I would likely go that route. The Valdora frame is $150, so I wonder what all that includes and how much a fork for it might cost. For a reasonable cost, new might work. I have parts I can used to build it up most of the way, so that is not an issue.

Mike, a KB would be great, but not for this ride. Not now at least.

zap
12-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I emailed Smiley as I want to do it right and once, so better to pull him into the process earlier rather than later. Anyway, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions, keep it coming.

Merry Christmas

Do you have the fitness and experience to do it right and once?

rugbysecondrow
12-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Do you have the fitness and experience to do it right and once?
I hope so. I have been doing triathlons for four years, and have had a tri bike in the past, but it was never fitted right and I also lacked the fitness and flexibility I have now. I placed in my age group last year at a race and was in the top third in another, which helped me decide to got his route. I am not hard core, but if you race cross, you get a cross bike. I race triathlons, so I think a tri bike is reasonable. Not looking to break the bank though.

I will say that this is part of the reason I am not wanting to go custom on this bike. Something stock that will meet my current needs and if I outgrow it, then may e custom. I doubt that will happen as this will be a single purpose bike...go fast and race.

Smiley
12-25-2010, 12:53 PM
no need to go custom for a single purpose bike. I think we can find something that we can make work. I like the Felt geo and there maybe others out there too.

segalpin
12-25-2010, 01:10 PM
We'll it happened today. The dreaded e-mail for help trying to find a friend and client a TT bike. Knowing what I know makes finding an off the shelf TT maching for Rugby hard. Seems like Scott and Giant don't make BIG TT machines, forget Cervelo too. Wow, been awhile since I did a TT bike for a client my last being a Scott for a women that works for Under Armour and that bike fit her like a glove. Man oh man will finding a 57 cm TT with a 83 cm stand over bike be really hard. Any ideas cause this could be an adventure for sure.

Once I can find something I can model it on my size cycle and see if it will work for Rugby before he goes out and buys it. Don't want him to break the bank on a limited function bike either.

I am selling a XL BMC TT03....hardly used and very good price. See my listing on craiglist here:

http://tricities.craigslist.org/bik/2121046290.html

scrubadub
12-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but make sure you check the Slowtwitch classifieds.

It might also be helpful to figure out the stack/reach coordinates for you, it seems like a much easier way of figuring out tri bike fit.

thegunner
12-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I am selling a XL BMC TT03....hardly used and very good price. See my listing on craiglist here:

http://tricities.craigslist.org/bik/2121046290.html

whew... thank god that's not a 50

rugbysecondrow
12-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Really like that BMC. Let me look into it. Might work well for me.

Paul

segalpin
12-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Really like that BMC. Let me look into it. Might work well for me.

Paul

Just let me know if you have any questions.

CaptStash
12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
You might want to look into Javelin. I have a 54cm. Arcole TT bike (too small for me, long story told elsewhere on here). Anyway,it seems like a good frame and Javelin has been around for quite a while building TT bikes. They have a very basic website at www.javbike.com with all the geometry. The frames come up fairl;y regularly on eBay. If you do go for the Arcole make sure you get a newer one with the heavier duty braze-on bracket as the original iteration had an issue with the brackets cracking.

CaptStash....

thegunner
12-25-2010, 07:59 PM
another option http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd_ld-720tr.cfm

if you're trying to go cheap and aluminum, there's no reason to pay for the 'felt' or 'giant' name.

protege55
12-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Check out www.nytro.com as well - they have a Felt B16 with 105 (full carbon frame) in a 60cm with a 59TT for $1600...nice bike for the price. The folks there (Cali) are really great to work with as well - very helpful even from a distance.

Good luck - I'm a big dude too and the TT bike is the hardest to fit.

oliver1850
12-26-2010, 02:50 PM
this is kind of an antique. standover is 82 cm, STA is 78, HTA is 72.5, TT is 58cm

rugbysecondrow
12-26-2010, 03:02 PM
looks good. I dont need fancy, just functional. thanks!

oliver1850
12-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I actually thought this was pretty fancy when I built it. I've put a total of 159 miles on it.

rugbysecondrow
12-26-2010, 03:21 PM
are you selling it?

thanks,

paul

rice rocket
12-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Paul, there's a Cyfac aluminum TT bike on ebay that has a listed TT length of 23.5 inches, which works out to 59.5 cm. Worth a look, 500 bucks, no reserve. Dura-ace stuff.

oliver1850
12-26-2010, 06:39 PM
The Cannondale I mentioned is item number 290515947449

It's a 2000 model, Cannondale size 56, catalog lists TT as 56 cm, lister says 56.5

STA is 77, HTA is 72.5, standover is 78

You can look at the 650c wheels as a drawback, but I've seen nice 650c wheels sell cheap on ebay because the demand is low.

You might be better off with a 58 Cannondale, which had a 57.5 TT, at least in this vintage

rugbysecondrow
01-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Paul, there's a Cyfac aluminum TT bike on ebay that has a listed TT length of 23.5 inches, which works out to 59.5 cm. Worth a look, 500 bucks, no reserve. Dura-ace stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on this Rice, I ended up buying it tonight. Great frame, brakes, drivetrain, bars and a Powertap wheel to boot. I likely will be selling the Powertap wheel as I won't use it, but I think I got one hell of a deal.

Thanks for the suggestions and especially to Segalpin for his help with the BMC TT03 he is selling. He is a top notch communicator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280608248234&si=i9VEV%252BQxnM5L%252Bw%252B77VThCJOWXF8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

thegunner
01-01-2011, 08:24 PM
ride the hell out of it rugby. it's a great looking bike, and a steal with the PT

djg
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Is the 61 in a Cervelo P2 too big?

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=P2+Frameset+2010&vendorCode=CERVELO&major=1&minor=1

rice rocket
01-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this Rice, I ended up buying it tonight. Great frame, brakes, drivetrain, bars and a Powertap wheel to boot. I likely will be selling the Powertap wheel as I won't use it, but I think I got one hell of a deal.

Thanks for the suggestions and especially to Segalpin for his help with the BMC TT03 he is selling. He is a top notch communicator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280608248234&si=i9VEV%252BQxnM5L%252Bw%252B77VThCJOWXF8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Cool!

Many people say no one does aluminum better than Cyfac nowadays, it's a shame they only have one dealer in this country. I've always kept an ebay search active because their stock geometries fit my long femurs better than most.

Good luck in the time trials, and tris.

You doing the Nation's Tri this year? Friend of mine is trying to get me to sign up, it's Olympic distance, on 9/11/11.

rugbysecondrow
01-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I hope to ride the piss out if it, I look forward to racing with it.

I am not doing the Nations triathlon. I avoid some of the large events, especially the ones in DC as I have heard that logistics can be a pain in the arse. Lucky for me, the park adjacent to my house has triathlons (I live on the running route for the Columbia Triathlon) so that works out well for me.

Super stoked about this purchase. The winter roller riding will give me a chance to get acquainted with the bike. My road Bedford will be my primary training bike, but will switch to the tri bike a couple weeks before the races for bricks and specific training.