PDA

View Full Version : What's for Christmas Dinner?

Lifelover
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm always intrigued by what other people eat for Christmas dinner.

My family does the same dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas:

Turkey, dressing, masshed taters, giblet gravy, mashed sweet taters, green bean casserole, brown and serve rolls and a small variety of small sides (cranberry relish, olives, etc.)

What's on your menu?

zray67
12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Ours is pretty much the same as yours. I think it is called if it is not broken don't fix it. The holidays for me are a reaffirmation of good values i.e. people are more important than things. Sometimes during the year I forget.

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2010, 01:12 PM
. . . have procured a goose. Not sure how they are going to prepare it, but I'm pretty sure I've never had it before. I am just a bit nervous, though. There has been a problem locally with a profusion of Canadian Geese in a local park near their home. Gues I'll chew slowly in case I chomp down on any buckshot . . .

BBD

dave thompson
12-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=866285&postcount=7

pjm
12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
. . . have procured a goose. Not sure how they are going to prepare it, but I'm pretty sure I've never had it before. I am just a bit nervous, though. There has been a problem locally with a profusion of Canadian Geese in a local park near their home. Gues I'll chew slowly in case I chomp down on any buckshot . . .

BBD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt4JAcluraU

bobswire
12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Ours is very Traditional like yours LifeLover, Turkey, Ham,Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, string bean casserole, stuffing,salads and all the fixings....
Pumpkin or apple pie with whipped creamed (for those who want it).
The immediate Family lives in the area so we usually have around 20 some odd folks come by.

Afterward I go back to a primary veggie diet with chicken or fish thrown in ever so often......

AngryScientist
12-24-2010, 01:37 PM
we splurge for a huge bone-in prime rib, complete with all the fixin's, including fresh made garlic bread....salivating already!

tele
12-24-2010, 01:56 PM
tonight is the big night for my wife's side: Wiglia, Polish xmas eve. 3 kinds of pierogi's that we made last weekend, barley, borscht, kapusta, some nasty pea stuff and of course beer. tomorrow my wife regrets giving me all sorts of cabbage products.

FixedNotBroken
12-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Drinks..more drinks..did I mention drinks already?

We normally do a tradition turkey, mash potatoes, sweet potato pie, green bean casserole etc..but this year we are doing seasoned steaks by your truly, stuffed salmon, salad, mash potatoes, apple and pumpkin pie, cranberry, cranberry jello, cinnamon rolls in the morning and a few other things..

...oh and more drinks :beer:

skijoring
12-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Tourtiere, squash, salad, fruitcake. And beer and wine. :beer:

sjbraun
12-24-2010, 02:34 PM
This year: roast rack of lamb, garlic mashed potatoes, oven roasted brussel sprouts, and a salad.

Our traditional meal takes place on Christmas morning:
fresh squeezed orange juice
french toast made from croissants, dipped in an egg batter made with cream, orange zest, and triple sec, thick-cut bacon, and fresh cranberry coulis on the side.

torquer
12-24-2010, 02:46 PM
The last few years, we've been invited over to dinner with friends, where ham is the center of attention. Our contribution: bacon and potato cake.
Bacon side with ham, you ask? Nobody's complained so far.
This recipe is close (and the Monkey Bar reference is correct), but we use Gruyere instead of onions:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Gdwoz5Atip4C&pg=PA423&lpg=PA423&dq=potato+bacon+recipe+monkey+bar&source=bl&ots=oxQYYQ6gR8&sig=DX2BCjMMdb4KMtjeqKQ5qm_mtjo&hl=en&ei=5wIVTf2ZD8KB8gbAqpmHDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=potato%20bacon%20recipe%20monkey%20bar&f=false

Karin Kirk
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Home made chicken pot pie for tonight, with veggies from the garden/root cellar.

Hand made ravioli tomorrow night - mostly this is a fun endeavor that Dave and I do together.

A steamed chocolate pudding with fresh whipped cream tomorrow night.

Plenty of stollen to fill in any moment when we're not already eating.

We're off for some skate skiing now so we can make room for more snacks. :)

Merry Christmas to all!

zap
12-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Pork shoulder that sat in Chimay for hours & spaetzle.

It's great that nobody in the family likes Turkey.

Desert from some italian place in Annapolis.

Note to self: bring beer.

Merry Christmas.

soulspinner
12-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Roast beast :)

mraceebb
12-24-2010, 03:36 PM
tonight is the big night for my wife's side: Wiglia, Polish xmas eve.

My family does the Wiglia too. We start with the opłatek (a thin wafer that you break off pieces and give wishes for the coming year with). Then there is herring, gołąbki (stuffed cabbage), peas, prunes, beets, poppy seed rolls, potatoes, mushrooms. Though I appreciate the tradition, and we do it largely for my 95 year old grandma, it makes for a bit of a gassy evening.

DavidR
12-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Beef tenderloin, smashed potatoes, asparagus, salad and home made roles! Getting close to dinner time!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Ahneida Ride
12-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Roast Beef ...

Merry Christmas !!!!!

StellaBlue
12-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm I-talian so it's a fish thing....

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3992/78237177251763651913466.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/i/78237177251763651913466.jpg/)

R2D2
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
We switch it up each year. Last year was game. Previous seafood with fresh lobsters. One year standing rib roast.

This year.

A huge pot of Coq Au Van my wife has been preparing for the last couple evenings.
A leg of lamb.
All sort of appetizers. Cheeses,shrimp, pate etc.......
Fruit and cheese for desert.
And fruit and chocolate fondue. We use the chocolate with pepper in in it.
And various wines to match. Champagne,Rose,Rioja,Port,Burgundy,Bordeaux.

We're having a bunch of freinds over and intend on a great feast.
Play some games and have a general good time.

MERRY XMAS!

chuckroast
12-24-2010, 09:10 PM
We're big on the comfort food for Christmas.

Spiral sliced, honey glazed ham (even better for sammichs later).
Macaroni and cheese.
Corn with butter and herbs.
Buttermilk biscuits.
Pears and Blue Cheese.

Oh, and pie, lots of pie.

Dave Wages
12-24-2010, 10:15 PM
We normally have my in-laws over for Christmas Eve dinner and then go over to their house for Christmas dinner, but this year everything is pushed back a day due to other family member's obligations.

So..., we're having dinner here tomorrow, and it's;

Beef Burgundy over
Mashed Potatoes with
Roasted Broccoli, and
Homemade rustic wheat bread.

I just finished the Beef Burgundy up earlier tonight, as it's even tastier when it's warmed up the next day. This way, all we have to make are the potatoes, broccoli and bread and then warm everything else up.

I can't wait!

Merry Christmas,
Dave

victoryfactory
12-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Unless I can find a Taco bell that's open:

Frankwurst
12-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Deep Fried Turkey and a couple of great big cocktails. :beer:

zip
12-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Dinner will be a pork shoulder braised in Chamey Ale and a pile of spaetzle as a side dish. :beer:

Kevan
12-25-2010, 09:41 AM
There's a monster ham waiting for the oven. I see split pea soup in the near future.

troymac
12-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Well it's prime rib and the fixins

KeithS
12-25-2010, 05:48 PM
So it's ham. Just emerging from the food coma now. Going back in soon. I don't think you can get a ham this good outside of Iowa. Merry Christmas all!

msl819
12-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I am in Louisiana so our Christmas menu:

1. Crawfish Bisque
2. Jambalaya
3. Pecan Pie.

I am sure there were some vegetables to be had... but those three for me get most of the room. The best news is there are leftovers. It will all taste better the next time around. Merry Christmas Y'all!!!

forrestw
12-25-2010, 08:36 PM
My daughters are big on steak (unless I can get venison) so tenderloins sauteed and dressed with a reduction sauce (harpoon leviathan IPA) and xhitake (because the bbs is curse-paranoide) mushrooms. Brussels sprouts and potatoes/french bread.

Pliny the Elder IPA to wash it all down.

oliver1850
12-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Appetizers:

4 or 5 kinds of cheese and crackers
cheese fondue
pickled beats, olives
mixed nuts
venison salami
mushrooms stuffed with cheese, garlic, and bacon

Main meal:

red rasberry salad
scalloped corn
baked mashed potatoes
butternut squash (brother said it was part of a 40 pound one)
creamed onions
rolls
individual glazed ham loaves
rolled rib beef roast + gravy
peach pie
lemon pie with real whipped cream

numerous microbrews and wines
as a special treat my niece's bf Nick sent us a bottle of that Sam Adams beer that is 12% alcohol or thereabouts. pretty good stuff but I'm not going to make it a regular thing. Or this kind of meal either.

gemship
12-26-2010, 06:31 AM
I spent Christmas day alone with exception to a hour and half on the phone with my stepfather and my mom risking her health stopping by later for a hour.

I came down with a cold Thursday night and it was full blown all day Sat. Christmas day. Being nervous about it progressing I decided to stay home alone and figured I was doing my family a favor as not to spread germs.

I managed to make a comforting meal with a frozen Trader Joe's chicken pot pie fully cooked, just needed to be heated and garlic mashed potatoes made from scratch along with some stuffing mix and a can of cranberry sauce.

The real treat was a wide assortment of cookies and cakes I collected from both mom and the local food pantry.

grapefruit juice is a sick man's friend, I wanted just a couple beers but I deprived myself as beer always has a diminishing point of returns value, I don't like feeling a head ache or dehydrated feeling especially when I am sick so I deprived myself and instead indulged in teas.

I feel a lot better right now with this cold, think I am doing the right thing staying away from the christmas cheer and the bike reluctantly and my four wheeler very reluctantly. I'm looking forward to shoveling a lot of snow tomorrow this same time and I need my health on Tuesday morning for a job interview.

Keeping my eyes on the prize ;)

oliver1850
12-26-2010, 08:29 AM
good for you gem. I think you did the right thing, staying home with your cold. Good luck with the job interview.

Cinci Jim
12-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Chili is just about the easiest dish to make vegan. I don't do vegan at all - just vegan chili is actually easier to make than regular chili.

Ozz
12-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Roast pork tenderloin with apricot-dijon glaze
grilled mushrooms
Roasted Fennel with autumn veggies
pan seared broccoli
twice baked potatoes
Wine - Lan Rioja Reserve
Cranberry-Apple Pie for dessert

Unfortunately, it was pretty much all take out from Pasta & Company (Mother-in-Law made the potatoes and pie)....and I did not partake in the wine.

This was the first year in about 15 years I have not cooked Xmas Day dinner.....as I am currently 5 days post-op (spinal fusion) and just was not up to it! :cool:

Looking forward to 2011 and full fitness in 2012!

kgrooney
12-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm always intrigued by what other people eat for Christmas dinner.

My family does the same dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas:

Turkey, dressing, masshed taters, giblet gravy, mashed sweet taters, green bean casserole, brown and serve rolls and a small variety of small sides (cranberry relish, olives, etc.)

What's on your menu?

Filet Mignon, Twice Baked Potatoes, Grilled Asaparagus, Salad with Goat Cheese & Walnuts and plenty of Merlot.