PDA

View Full Version : OT: I finally got WiFi Tethering on my Droid 2

WickedWheels
12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks to the work of XDA developers I rooted my Droid2 and have Wifi tethering. So while my wife and I are driving to Mt. Snow this weekend she'll be surfing the net to get us that last minute deal on a hotel room... all while sticking it to Verizon, their tethering charges and their locking out features on quality phones. Woo Hoo!

rice rocket
12-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Don't break your 2GB cap, it'll be costly. ;)

Good work on the root though, it's definitely worth it. I've done the same on my Galaxy S, now I'm semi-addicted to flashing ROMs to get the latest and greatest features from the developers.

FixedNotBroken
12-24-2010, 01:34 AM
That's why you get the unlimited data plan :hello:

Ti Designs
12-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Thanks to the work of XDA developers I rooted my Droid2 and have Wifi tethering. So while my wife and I are driving to Mt. Snow this weekend she'll be surfing the net to get us that last minute deal on a hotel room... all while sticking it to Verizon, their tethering charges and their locking out features on quality phones. Woo Hoo!

I have a degree in computer science so I should know what that means, but all I read is "my vacation is about paying less for a hotel room and sticking it to Verizon". Perhaps one day you'll take a real vacation and leave the droid at home.

The internet in theory is a good thing, but then something went wrong. I look at subjects I really know, then I look at the same subject on the internet and I have to question it's value. Take cycling for example - a subject I know something about. Most forum members think this place is a good source of cycling knowledge. I don't. There's no cost to posting your opinion here (as this very post shows), thus you get valid, invalid, funny and just plain stupid answers to any given question. Without a deeper knowledge of the subject there's no way to weed out the bad from the good. In other words, if you know the answer it's safe to ask the question - where's the value in that? Information is like any other resource, it's value is tied to it's quality. There's a whole ocean full of water out there, yet people still pay $4/gallon for bottled water. The difference is a known quality to the water inside the bottle. There are no filters to what hits the internet, blogs, social networks and youtube have seen to that. What you have here is expensive sea water...

endosch2
12-24-2010, 05:55 AM
I rooted my HTC incredible Droid phone too a while ago and I have been using the phone for broadband tethered to my laptop when I am on the road. It is one of the best features of an android phone.

slowgoing
12-24-2010, 06:02 AM
"Thanks to the work of XDA developers I rooted my Droid2 and have Wifi tethering." Please splain, Lucy.

endosch2
12-24-2010, 06:17 AM
There is an open source application that allows the internet connection from the cell phone to be used by the computer via a usb (or wireless) connection.

So for the price of a Android smart phone with a data plan, or $29.99 / month in the case of Verizon and myself, you can use your cell phone to get internet service for you computer any time any where.

If you google "tether android phone" or in my case google "Tether HTC Incredible", which is my model of phone, you will get instructions and sources for the software companies who have written the software. You download the software both to your PC and your phone. The web sites tell you how to install it, there are also youtube videos showing it. It takes 2 minutes to do. The thing that lets you do this is that Android is an operating system and Verizon is just a service provider. They cannot control how your phone operates.

A couple of things though- Verizon Wireless maintains that if they catch you doing this your contract will be cancelled, however this is probably not possible unless you are using a huge amount of broadband, and even then they would probably just slow your connection.

You can pay Verizon something like another $29.99 a month if you want to do it through them and not an open source application.

Mark McM
12-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Most forum members think this place is a good source of cycling knowledge. I don't. There's no cost to posting your opinion here (as this very post shows), thus you get valid, invalid, funny and just plain stupid answers to any given question. Without a deeper knowledge of the subject there's no way to weed out the bad from the good.

How is this any different from the old way to learn about cycling - hanging out in a bike shop? After all, isn't that where we all learned stuff like "steel frames go soft over time", "titanium doesn't fatigue", and "hard anodized rims give a harsher ride than bare aluminum rims" (all things I've heard in Wheelworks)?

So then, where is a better place to get cycling knowledge? At least on a wide open forum there is a chance to get opposing viewpoints.

shorelocal
12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
How is this any different from the old way to learn about cycling - hanging out in a bike shop? After all, isn't that where we all learned stuff like "steel frames go soft over time", "titanium doesn't fatigue", and "hard anodized rims give a harsher ride than bare aluminum rims" (all things I've heard in Wheelworks)?

So then, where is a better place to get cycling knowledge? At least on a wide open forum there is a chance to get opposing viewpoints.

Agreed .... with the internetz, ya just have to develop better filters, which comes with time and experience.

fourflys
12-24-2010, 04:58 PM
did you guys try PDAnet off the marketplace before you rooted your phones? I put that on my Droid Eris and it works beautifully... and i didn't have to root my phone which kind of freaks me out if I ever have to warranty it...

BTW- this is free and I don't get charged for it...

MadRocketSci
12-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a degree in computer science so I should know what that means, but all I read is "my vacation is about paying less for a hotel room and sticking it to Verizon". Perhaps one day you'll take a real vacation and leave the droid at home.

The internet in theory is a good thing, but then something went wrong. I look at subjects I really know, then I look at the same subject on the internet and I have to question it's value. Take cycling for example - a subject I know something about. Most forum members think this place is a good source of cycling knowledge. I don't. There's no cost to posting your opinion here (as this very post shows), thus you get valid, invalid, funny and just plain stupid answers to any given question. Without a deeper knowledge of the subject there's no way to weed out the bad from the good. In other words, if you know the answer it's safe to ask the question - where's the value in that? Information is like any other resource, it's value is tied to it's quality. There's a whole ocean full of water out there, yet people still pay $4/gallon for bottled water. The difference is a known quality to the water inside the bottle. There are no filters to what hits the internet, blogs, social networks and youtube have seen to that. What you have here is expensive sea water...

then help out and clarify the invalid and just plain stupid stuff you see...in a civil manner. the internet is only as good as those who contribute to its content. or be a curmudgeon. your choice. you might gain something too from others...

Ti Designs
12-25-2010, 12:43 AM

My bad, when I said cycling I meant riding. In riding there's a very simple acid test - riding. It shows who knows how to ride and who doesn't.

Mark's reply is the perfect example of going to the wrong source. There is no material science requirment for being hired at Wheelworks. I agree with his statement, it's no different from reading things on the internet. I fail to see how opposing viewpoints help if you have no way of knowing which is valid. I learned much of what I know about materials in school, from books. The cost associated with printing books or taking classes gives me some reason to think that the source was varified - I could be wrong there.

then help out and clarify the invalid and just plain stupid stuff you see...in a civil manner.

Uh, I think you missed the point here. I am just another person spewing stuff on the internet. I could flash some certifications, but I would also have to point out that my cat is a certified USA Cycling level 3 coach, so is there any value to it? For that matter, am I the cyclist I claim to be or am I some 14 year old fat kid sitting in front of a computer? You just don't know...

At some point more info isn't better, it's just more. The internet blew past that point years ago. With more and more data there's more and more mistakes. I did a search on myself. There are 16 of me, I cover a wide range of ages and I live in 5 different towns. Again, I'm looking up something I know a bit about and what I'm seeing doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. If I didn't know me as I do, how would I know which one was the real me?

And for those sending me mail about being negative, please stop. I'm not putting down Serotta or the forum any more than to say it's an internet forum and subject to the same things as any other forum. I'm sure the hair dresser's forum has just as much bad info (which would explain all the bad hair days). If you must take comments made about the whole population personally, I have some bad news for you. There are fat, lazy, stupid, ugly, mean and smelly people on the internet. OK, who here thinks I'm talking about them???