PDA

View Full Version : Turbomatic saddles lineage help..

Z3c
12-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok, so I bought a saddle here that was decribed as being the original Turbomatic from the Indurain days(even though Big Mig rode Turbo saddles, not Turbomatics). So, I get the saddle and it a Turbomatic 2. I request my money back to which the seller agrees along with a commentary that I am wrong and that the 2 is the original version and clearly he is annoyed at my wanting my money back. Now, to me it seems pretty obvious that naming something a 2 would clearly imply that there was a previous version but this guy really thinks he is right. Having had 4 Turbomatics many years ago, I frankly know I am right. Anyone out there care to chime in and help put this to rest? I know someone out there has an original.. pics would be great!

Thanks!

John H.
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Turbomatic II may be slightly more firm than the original Turbomatic- but fully the same shape, cover, features, etc. I don't think the guy is trying to get over on you. I think 1st gen came in steel, ti and possibly manganese. I do not think the Turbomatic II came in Ti.
The Turbomatic 3 and 4 start to get different. Shape changed a little on the 3 and 4 and the non gel models got firmer, the focus was actually the gel turbomatic.
For my money the 1 and 2 are nice saddles.
I have and orginal 1st Gen Turbomatic white with ti rails New in Box- but it'll cost ya-

Z3c
12-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Turbomatic II may be slightly more firm than the original Turbomatic- but fully the same shape, cover, features, etc. I don't think the guy is trying to get over on you. I think 1st gen came in steel, ti and possibly manganese. I do not think the Turbomatic II came in Ti.
The Turbomatic 3 and 4 start to get different. Shape changed a little on the 3 and 4 and the non gel models got firmer, the focus was actually the gel turbomatic.
For my money the 1 and 2 are nice saddles.
I have and orginal 1st Gen Turbomatic white with ti rails New in Box- but it'll cost ya-

Thanks, understand all of this, just trying to establish that a 2 was not the original Turbomatic.. Again, I know for a fact that the Turbomatic existed as I had some and that is exactly why I want one again. I am not looking for a 2; I want an original version, black.

Thanks, but not interested in white..

John H.
12-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes they did indeed make a saddle that was just "Turbomatic" before the TII.
pretty hard to find either like new or new. Problem with the Turbomatic and TII was that they wore super quick, both cover and padding.

John H.
12-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Do you have some older Turbomatic saddles?
I thought that I might mention that I have had great success having some older saddles recovered. A guy that posts here on the forum- Jason Moore does it. I believe he can even lay down new padding if needed.
My favorite saddle these days is the old San Marco Titanio200 or Strada- out of production these days because there is nothing wiz bang or special about it (except it has a nice rounded shape that fits me perfectly). I sent 3 of them to Jason for recovering- they look better than new.
His prices are totally reasonable too.

saab2000
12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Here are two examples of original Turbomatics.

There is such a thing and this is photographic evidence.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5286769034_62dc9b0ec5_b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5286169649_3070e184c5.jpg

Z3c
12-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks Saab!

oliver1850
12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I found the Turbomatic in a 1994 catalog and the II in a 1995 catalog.

First version had chromed steel or Ti rails. The steel is listed in the catalog at 337 grams and the Ti at 207. I wonder if the Ti is actually 307. Just an odd detail, on the steel railed one the right hand plastic bit is yellow, and on the Ti railed saddle, the left one is yellow.

fiamme red
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=801150&postcount=2

GregL
12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
I've always been a fan of the Turbomatics. The Turbomatic II was the best for my posterior and I am always on the lookout for pristine used or NOS examples. Here's what I know of their history:

Turbomatic (original): available in the early-1990's. Cro-Mo or Ti rails. Black leather cover, usually smooth but some were textured.

Turbomatic II: available mid-1990's. Cro-Mo or manganese rails. I seem to remember a few were made with Ti rails, but these are very rare. Similar to the original design, but with cutaway sides showing more of the saddle rail. Typically had a textured, black leather cover, but I've seen a few in brown too. Limited editions were available in 1/2 yellow or 1/2 red covers. I've also seen a few bike-specific versions (e.g., Merxkx, Gios) with special colors and logos.

Turbomatic III: available mid to late-1990's. Subtle change in profile of the shell made these feel (IMO) "different" from the original and II. Cro-Mo or manganese rails. Typically had an embroidered logo on the top. Gel version available. Several special editions in different colors were available (e.g., Jan Ulrich edition in red).

Turbomatic IV: available early 2000's. Typically had "FeC" rails (have no idea what material that is, but suspect a steel alloy). Available in standard, gel, and gel flow (cutout) versions. Available in black or blue leather (not sure if other colors were available too). In a departure from previous versions, the covers for the isolation mounts were not yellow, but grey/silver.

Turbomatic Team Edition: introduced for 2010. Very different from the origials. Much more cutaway shell. Carbon rails. Black & white lorica cover. Available in standard and gel flow (cutout) versions. I'm riding one now, but I don't have enough miles yet to make a good opinion. I've ridden it up to 75 miles at a shot without discomfort.

Anyone with better or more accurate info, please chime in!

- Greg

jmoore
12-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Do you have some older Turbomatic saddles?
I thought that I might mention that I have had great success having some older saddles recovered. A guy that posts here on the forum- Jason Moore does it. I believe he can even lay down new padding if needed.
My favorite saddle these days is the old San Marco Titanio200 or Strada- out of production these days because there is nothing wiz bang or special about it (except it has a nice rounded shape that fits me perfectly). I sent 3 of them to Jason for recovering- they look better than new.
His prices are totally reasonable too.

Thanks for the kind words John. Here are two of his three Titanio's I did. The third looks identical. And yes, I can refoam them if required.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/random%20pics/white%20Specialized/IMG_2585-1.jpg