PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Identification Help

Maurice(nyc)
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
was recently given a beautiful old basso that was sitting in a basement on the upper west side of manhattan. On it were some old time pedals, which ive been led to believe are Time Criteriums. I would love to get some more information on them, especially considering that these in particular look like old ski bindings which leads me to believe they're from around TIME's inception in 87...

ultraman6970
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
It can be a racing model, criterium or who knoes what else, something it is certain, it is the 1st generation before they started to change the shape of the pedal, so probably a 88 or 89 model?

Usually the model it is in the plastic part of the pedal, maybe erased now?

Hey what size is the basso?

Monthly Payment
12-22-2010, 05:56 PM
was recently given a beautiful old basso that was sitting in a basement on the upper west side of manhattan. On it were some old time pedals, which ive been led to believe are Time Criteriums. I would love to get some more information on them, especially considering that these in particular look like old ski bindings which leads me to believe they're from around TIME's inception in 87...

Its not one of the originals. Take a look at this site:
http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/pedals/atimeroad_pedal.html

I think its a TBT model you got there. Early 90s. Great pedal with a huge platform if you forgot your shoes. Could always pedal in sneakers.

As a former Upper West Sider, I have always wonder with the population density and the surprisingly large basements of some of those buildings how many awesome classic bikes are being under used. Hope you get that Basso out there.

csm
12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
pretty sure that is first generation.... the crit pedal with more clearance.
I have a pair of the ti mag pedals around somewhere.

oliver1850
12-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I can't tell from the angle. You might want to check the Time pedals on VeloBase. Click on France, Time, then Time Racing at the bottom of the list. It looks like the same pedal as this, only in white. Dated 1987.

Maurice(nyc)
12-23-2010, 07:36 PM
basso is apx 54 (this is a measurement taken with the crankset on) i havent cleaned it up beyond dusting so no legitimate pictures to share yet...once photos are taken will post on forum...
here r two crap photos i just found taken when i rode her from harlem to brooklyn

rounder
12-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I had time criteriums from about 1989. The shape was a little different and they were mostly gray with red accents.

ultraman6970
12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
HOw people can just find bikes like that by mistake?? I have not been able to score something like that for free or even almost for free ever... bad luck in stuff like that, good luck in love at least!

130R
12-23-2010, 10:29 PM
lucky sob! :bike:

i wouldn't be locking up that bike in brooklyn.

those brakes go for $300+ on ebay

and c record also go for a lot. that bike will be quite the theft magnet.

Maurice(nyc)
12-24-2010, 07:15 PM
lucky sob! :bike:

i wouldn't be locking up that bike in brooklyn.

those brakes go for $300+ on ebay

and c record also go for a lot. that bike will be quite the theft magnet.

completely aware of value and risks involved...raised in ny and have done plenty of messenger work.

we work feet away in a large window'd showroom where we watch our bikes, and the bikes of our customers.

i need more info on the frame/history of Basso!

Chris
12-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Those aren't criteriums. Criteriums had rounded end caps. Those were the original style (TBT I think - I had some like it). They were great except the end caps were always gone after a few criteriums when they broke off after you pedaled through a corner.

Here's the Basso history. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/basso.htm

Black Dog
12-24-2010, 11:15 PM
I dont think that the Basso has C-Record. It looks like Croce d'Aune. Any thoughts?

kestrel
12-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks to me like a C-record crankset and C-record rear D.

Maurice(nyc)
12-26-2010, 12:19 PM
fairly sure its c record. still need to take better pics...been a lil :beer: considering the holidays

shiftyfixedgear
12-26-2010, 12:32 PM
That ain't no Jim Croce.
Thats C-Record through and through.

Suggest a Krypto NYC U-lock AND a motorcycle chain / second lock as a "backup". That should buy you roughly 15 - 30 minutes of security on a typical NYC street. :) They'll still get the stem, bars, and brakes, and the saddle / post, of course - but most of the rest will probably still be there.

Well, for a short time, at least. :)

FastVegan
12-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Great bike. Is that a Super Turbo????