PDA

View Full Version : Fork question: what's the difference?

achurch
12-22-2010, 07:40 AM
In general the question is what difference will be noticeable from fork to fork.

Specifically, I have a "profile design" (BRC?)on a 2003 or 4 Merlin Agilis. JimCav is selling an ouzo pro for $79 and made me think might be a worthwhile upgrade--but not sure what "upgrade" in this case means.
I assume this is a better fork--but how dies better translate into ride characteristics? Also, since everyone is always raving about the serotta forks and the edge forks, should I "settle" for an ouzo pro or be patient and wait for something even better?
Just wondering and figured could learn a lot quickly from the folks here...
Thanks in advance! Sure to be an interesting discussion.

avalonracing
12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
First off, you should try and find out what fork specs your frame has designed for (rake, trail, etc.). A mediocre fork with the right specs will work better than an exceptional fork with the wrong specs.

AngryScientist
12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
First off, you should try and find out what fork specs your frame has designed for (rake, trail, etc.). A mediocre fork with the right specs will work better than an exceptional fork with the wrong specs.

+1 to this.

achurch
12-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Fork rake is known--assuming that I replace with the same....

John M
12-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Unless you are dissatisfied with the current fork, I don't imagine that you would notice a dramatic difference between the Profile and the Ouzo. Different forks can ride differently, but whether that translates to "better" performance depends on what you are looking for in ride quality, stiffness, comfort, etc.... If the ride of the Profile is lacking in some way, then maybe a swap would be an upgrade.

A few years old, but Tom Kellogg on forks here:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/65.htm

Marcusaurelius
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Well I've tried several carbon forks and the Serotta F1 was by far my favourite. It's the only fork I've ridden that was stiff enough and yet comfortable on the rough sections. I suspect the other Serotta forks have similiar qualities.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
In general the question is what difference will be noticeable from fork to fork.

Specifically, I have a "profile design" (BRC?)on a 2003 or 4 Merlin Agilis. JimCav is selling an ouzo pro for $79 and made me think might be a worthwhile upgrade--but not sure what "upgrade" in this case means.
I assume this is a better fork--but how dies better translate into ride characteristics? Also, since everyone is always raving about the serotta forks and the edge forks, should I "settle" for an ouzo pro or be patient and wait for something even better?
Just wondering and figured could learn a lot quickly from the folks here...
Thanks in advance! Sure to be an interesting discussion.

If the specs on the fork is the same I doubt you would feel a difference. BUT in spite of knowing and trusting the seller, I would think twice about buying a second hand carbon anything. Reynolds Ouzo Pro was the class of the field at the time.

The Profile forks were nicely made, reliable, made 'offshore'. Most of the present forks, including Edge, are too. Newer all carbon forks are lighter, way expensive. Some seem to be kinda flexy(Easton).

tv_vt
12-23-2010, 08:45 AM
One usually makes an 'upgrade' (or change*) because of a perceived problem or deficiency in the current item.

As far as forks, issues could be 1)wanting a taller steerer tube to raise the handlebars a little more, 2)perceived flexiness of the steerer tube when climbing or sprinting or hard cornering, 3) too soft or harsh ride, 4)twitchiness or 'slowness' in steering (which could be changed somewhat by switching to a fork w/a different rake), 5)old fork has steel steerer tube and going to carbon steerer would lighten the bike, 6)wanting a fork with better tire clearance, and so on.

If you're not feeling you have any of these issues, not sure why you would change. Unless you're just curious - nothing wrong with that, either. I'd guess a lot of the modifications folks make is for this reason (including buying new bikes...)

* - Note, though, that making an 'upgrade' may just change the problem from one type to another.

TV