PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of brakes...

CaptStash
12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I am in the process of upgrading my McMahon titanium bike. I will be removing the DA 7400 group and installing the 7800 group from my Felt, which is going on the block.

The Felt is basic black and looked cool (or so I thought) with the TRP black carbon wrapped aluminum brakes. I am thinking that the black brakes will look sort of ridiculous on the nude ti frame. So I am looking for opinions, do I keep the 7400 brakes and call it good, sell the TRP's (as well as the rest of the 7400 stuff which will be on the block as well) and find some 7800 brakes, or do y'all think the TRP's will look just fine on the ti frame?

Opinions wanted.

Thanks,

Saul aka CaptStash....

Ken Robb
12-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I usually like silver better than black but I can imagine black bits looking good on a bare ti bike if they are thoughtfully grouped. What color will the other parts be?

vqdriver
12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
i'd take the opportunity to go 7800 with the brakes. black on ti looks fine, but aside from that i just prefer a matching build.

besides, and this has nothing to do with the quality of it, i just never got my head around the idea of wrapping aluminum in carbon.

CaptStash
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I usually like silver better than black but I can imagine black bits looking good on a bare ti bike if they are thoughtfully grouped. What color will the other parts be?

Now that you mention it, black seat post, black stem with black carbon bars. Still vacillating between Shimano 700 cranks and FSA carbon pro cranks. Wheels will be alloy Dura Ace 7800's.

The next decision is forks. Stay with the Sekai aluminum, or switch to a carbon threadless so I can ditch the conversion piece.

Saul

fogrider
12-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Now that you mention it, black seat post, black stem with black carbon bars. Still vacillating between Shimano 700 cranks and FSA carbon pro cranks. Wheels will be alloy Dura Ace 7800's.

The next decision is forks. Stay with the Sekai aluminum, or switch to a carbon threadless so I can ditch the conversion piece.

Saul
its a no brainer, go with the carbon fork...you should notice a difference.