PDA

View Full Version : First Ti Build, Any Suggestions?

Bradford
05-10-2005, 01:32 PM
A friend is coming to my house tomorrow with his new used Moots Vamoots frame. We are stripping off the group from my Crown Jewel and putting it on the Vamoots.

Although we have both built up bikes before, and he is actually a very talented wrench, neither of us has built up a Ti frame.

Any suggestions, tips, comments, or suggestions? All comments are appreciated.

P.S. I do have a big jar of anti-seize, so any comments on where and how to use it are especially appreciated.

Serotta PETE
05-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Having the anti sieze is key...rest is biuld as usual.

zap
05-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Build it up like any other bike.

flydhest
05-10-2005, 03:20 PM
campy not shimano
a longer stem
clinchers suck

Satellite
05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Bradford,

Congrats on the Moots VaMoots they are beautiful bikes. My wife and I both ride VaMoots. Keep in mind Anti Seize should be used sparingly a little goes a long ways. Some people even use Anti Seize and Teflon tape on the bottom bracket (I do NOT I just use the Anti Seize); use Anti Seize on all your bolts. You will defiantly want Anti Seize on the head set cups. I use Phil Wood Grease on the seat post (again just a little bit).

Anti Seize is messy be sure and clean up the squished out extra. Give your completed bike a good wipe down with Lemon Pledge. Your Moots will take care of you for life if you take care of it.

Satellite

Bradford
05-10-2005, 03:46 PM
campy not shimano
a longer stem
clinchers suck

The group is Shimano
The stem (at least for now) is a 120
The tires will be clinchers...

...and I will be wearing black socks! :banana:

Jeff N.
05-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Grease...wherever metal touches metal. The rest is as usual. Jeff N.

weisan
05-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Fly-pan wrote:
campy not shimano
a longer stem
clinchers suck
Bradford-issimo wrote:
The group is Shimano
The stem (at least for now) is a 120
The tires will be clinchers...

...and I will be wearing black socks!

Bradford, this is E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T!

Those words you spoken are timeless, I will have them gold-plated and framed up beside my desk as they will surely go down in history as instrumental in the future direction of this forum. ;)

Tony Edwards
05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Nice choice! I myself ride a VaMoots.

I strongly recommend teflon tape for the BB, and combining it with grease and/or anti-seize (preferably the latter) will make for an easier installation.

BarryG
05-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Grease...wherever metal touches metal. The rest is as usual.
What Jeff said. My understanding is that the necessity of anti-sieze for Ti frames has been debunked in favor of a light coat of grease. Pretty (but not absolutely) sure I heard that anti-sieze was only necessary for Ti - Ti interfaces.

Barry

jerk
05-10-2005, 09:33 PM
there is only one known way to remove excess ti-prep/anti-seize, and that is really expensive clothing. trust the jerk on this one.
jerk

Satellite
05-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't agree with the debunk I use anti seize. DO NOT under any circumstance use a TI Head Set in a TI Frame just FYI. I know those that do but I would strongly recomend against this practice. Bradford did you get your friends VaMoots put together yet?

Satellite

Bradford
05-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Bradford did you get your friends VaMoots put together yet?

Satellite

We have been riding together for 15 years now, and I don't think we have finished anything on time yet. He is maticulous, I am distracting and not very helpful. We started out just stripping my Crown Jewel for the group, but then got into a trading session and decided to take some of the parts of my Legend off and mix the groups/componenets on the bikes. What a couple of chuckle heads. :crap:

So we worked until 1:00 am last night and were back at it this morning and are just stringing some wires now. My guess is that we will be done in time to go for a ride around noon. If William the Barbarian and his trusty sidekick Rhea Basset can make it, we should have a good first ride.

By the way, that Moots is some kind of beautiful bike. I love my Legend, but the bead blasted finish on the Moots is just flat out nice. :banana:

William
05-12-2005, 08:02 AM
If William the Barbarian and his trusty sidekick Rhea Basset can make it, we should have a good first ride.

By the way, that Moots is some kind of beautiful bike. I love my Legend, but the bead blasted finish on the Moots is just flat out nice. :banana:

PM'd you big guy.

William

William
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
The Moots is really nice. :cool:
I over saw the Moots Build (meaning I did Squat). :D
The Moots went for a shakedown (how'd it go?). :)
And Rhea Basset is thouroughly sniffing & snuffing the Red Sox PMC cycling Jersey. She likes it and so do I. :cool:
Thanks for the opportunity to meet Mrs. Bradford and great Family friend.
:cool:

William