PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seeing big delays on PBK shipments?

smead
12-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I use them a lot, and normally get the goods within 5-7 days upon receiving their notification that it has shipped. I placed an recent order and received this msg on 12/3, but still nothing? I inquired and received a canned response saying make sure the package is not at the local PO, a neighbors, etc.. Duh .. :confused:

Anyone else seeing delays from them?

Anyone know what their policy would be if the package simply fails to arrive? Given there is no tracking info, what does PBK do here? I really like PBK, but not having any shipping tracking/confirmation is a bit unsettling when things fail to arrive.

Thanks, Steve

rice rocket
12-20-2010, 12:10 PM
It might be an issue w/ the Royal Mail or customs here in the US?

I had a set of tools shipped from the UK, and it took 17 days to arrive.

smead
12-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I should also have noted that the goods I ordered are small bits, and I'm on the west coast. But normally I get stuff here on the west coast in 5-7 days ..

Uncle Jam's Army
12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
My friend made his first PBK order on Nov. 20 (2 tires) and still hasn't received them. I've made maybe 30 PBK orders and they all arrived within 7 days.

97CSI
12-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Am guessing it is not the mail or customs. Ordered two sepearate sets of wheels from Wiggle this month and each set took one week to get here through both mail and customs.

ludedude
12-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Same situation here. I received the "shipped" notification on the 3rd of December as well! :)

bironi
12-20-2010, 12:22 PM
My PBK order placed on Nov. 29, just arrived on Dec. 18. I'm also on the west coast. It was a pair of winter shoes. Just glad to get them for a cool wet winter. :beer: I've ordered from PBK before, and had much quicker delivery, but the price was worth the wait this time.

yashcha
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Mail in the UK has been severely delayed due to the snow and it has been 5 days since we have recieved any mail of any kind and the post boxes are overfilled with christmas cards.

dave thompson
12-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Look at the latest videos of Heathrow airport, closed. Too cold, too much snow and bad weather in the UK delaying everything.

BengeBoy
12-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Mail in the UK has been severely delayed due to the snow and it has been 5 days since we have recieved any mail of any kind and the post boxes are overfilled with christmas cards.

+1

Royal Mail is having serious issues right now.

merlincustom1
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
+1
ordered bars on 11-24. Not here yet. Blows.

retrofit
12-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Same here. I placed an order from PBK on 12/6, received an email shipping notice on 12/9, and expected to receive my shipment a week later, as per usual. No package yet.

I'm really hoping it comes today, or else my Secret Santa recipient will have Christmas in January. :crap:

On edit: not in today's mail. Crap.

krhea
12-20-2010, 02:26 PM
FYI, I placed an order on Nov 16th with Ribble. I got a notice it was dispatched on the 18th...It's now been 31days and still no jacket. I've communicated with them numerous times but it seems Royal Mail offers no tracking on packages. The latest communication from Ribble, about 10days ago, said to allow 25days. That has no come and gone.
Hopefully it's just a glitch as I've never had a problem with orders from PBK, Ribble or Wiggle in the past.

KRhea

Idris Icabod
12-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Yep, no end in site with the weather. My family lives up North and they haven't had mail for well over a week now. There was only a couple of premier league football games that went ahead over the weekend. If the pubs are forced to close then I predict widespread rioting may break out.

PaulE
12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I placed an order with PBK on Sunday, 12/5. Got an e-mail on 12/8 that it shipped and the goods arrived on Saturday, 12/19. I figured it was just the Christmas rush. PS I ordered the Crud Catcher Road Racer Mk 2 fender set based on a review of it in the RoadbikeRider newsletter. Going to try them on my Legend this winter.

bike22
12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
i placed an order with a uk cyclewear store (not pbk)

package shipped 12/9 (according to the postmark on the label)
it arrived today 12/20

no fancy shipping, just the royal mail equivalent of first class mail.

PaMtbRider
12-20-2010, 06:52 PM
It sounds like things are hit or miss. I have read on some other forums about delayed shipments from PBK. I bought an Ottrott frameset last week from the U.K. and received it within 1 week using Parcel Force.

tkbike
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
FYI, I placed an order on Nov 16th with Ribble. I got a notice it was dispatched on the 18th...It's now been 31days and still no jacket. I've communicated with them numerous times but it seems Royal Mail offers no tracking on packages. The latest communication from Ribble, about 10days ago, said to allow 25days. That has no come and gone.
Hopefully it's just a glitch as I've never had a problem with orders from PBK, Ribble or Wiggle in the past.

KRhea

This is too much of a coincidence, I ordered the same exact date, same dispatched notice and still no package! I also have had no issues with PBK or Ribble in the past, usually receive order quicker than ordering from the states. It has made me think twice about ordering a set of DT-Swiss wheels from Wiggle for the MTB, but the price is so much lower than I have seen any place else.

BumbleBeeDave
12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
. . . and they have this statement posted on their checkout page . . .

We recently increased our security measures for items sent to the United States in response to restrictions imposed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. As a result, some items containing goods, which would have travelled on passenger planes, can now only be sent via cargo aircraft. We’re sorry that this is causing delays to the delivery of items sent by air to the US and we anticipate that transit times may be extended by up to one week. The recent icy weather has also caused some delays.

BBD

smead
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
It's now been over a month ..

Here's what they sent me:

I understand your frustration but we have had similar reports to yours but we have also had customers telling us that parcels dispatched around the 17th November to the US are now starting to arrive. I’m afraid that the new restrictions put in place by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the amount of mail in the system at this time of year has delayed all parcels to the US.

If the parcel has still not arrived by 12th January (28 working days after the parcel was dispatched)then we will be able to place a claim with the postal service and re-imburse you for the order but cannot do this before that date.

My build is being held up 6 weeks on account of this.. Gonna think twice about ordering anything from the UK again ..

Steve

leooooo
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Yup. I usually order non-time sensitive stuff from the UK.

Ordered some new Assos shorts on Nov 1, got them last week.
I would have waited until March. Wouldn't be needing shorts in NYC anytime soon.

Bob Ross
01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It's now been over a month ..

Here's what they sent me:

Hey, at least they sent you something! I got an automated email response with completely generic content.

Of course, my order is only three weeks old...

Bob Ross
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't be needing shorts in NYC anytime soon.

I wore shorts on my January 2nd ride in NYC! (well, with leg warmers...)

leooooo
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I wore shorts on my January 2nd ride in NYC! (well, with leg warmers...)

Unseasonably hot this past week, but I'm still a wuss. Shorts only attire is for 50+ weather.

smead
01-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey, at least they sent you something! I got an automated email response with completely generic content.

Of course, my order is only three weeks old...

Oh I first got the automated canned response, but finally got the semi-personalized response only after bitching back to them :bike:

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
This thread about international sales/shipping should be cross-referenced with the Ebay rant thread. This is why I think lots of sellers refuse to ship internationally, even to Canada, so much out of their control that pisses off consumers. If this were Ebay, negative feedback might be forthcoming even though they might have shipped it exactly correctly on their end. Sounds like they are willing to make it right with a refund if it never shows up. They can't control the item once in transit and this is a horrible time of year too.

Best of luck, but it seems like it is not directly their fault.

johnnymossville
01-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Dunno about pbk, but I've been waiting for my CXuggie by Rapha to be Drop Shipped from Bangladesh for 3 months now. CX season is almost over.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/xnodesign/CXuggie.jpg

redir
01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
An order I placed from Ribbel Cycles took about a month to get here. The UK had some really nasty weather recently and combined with Christmas thiungs got really backed up.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
It's nice to know I'm not alone being disgusted by Ribble's delays and lack of service. I placed an order early December and set my expectation on their stated policy...6 to 12 days. It's now been 22 days...and there's only so much of a pass they get for weather and Xmas. My order from Totalcycling was placed the same day and came 15 days ago...and it had tracking. Ribble told me they can't provide tracking with Parcelforce. Why? Totalcycling did.

This is my last order with Ribble. The service has been horrendous and their attitude not much better.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
This thread about international sales/shipping should be cross-referenced with the Ebay rant thread. This is why I think lots of sellers refuse to ship internationally, even to Canada, so much out of their control that pisses off consumers. If this were Ebay, negative feedback might be forthcoming even though they might have shipped it exactly correctly on their end. Sounds like they are willing to make it right with a refund if it never shows up. They can't control the item once in transit and this is a horrible time of year too.

Best of luck, but it seems like it is not directly their fault.

I disagree...what IS in their control is providing tracking numbers, which is possible (Totalcycling does it) and what's also under their control is correctly setting expectations with their website...which currently states 6-12 days. Had that been updated to reflect these problems, I'd have paid the $5 more and ordered else where. As it stands, I am operating under their STATED terms and am disappointed.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I disagree...what IS in their control is providing tracking numbers, which is possible (Totalcycling does it) and what's also under their control is correctly setting expectations with their website...which currently states 6-12 days. Had that been updated to reflect these problems, I'd have paid the $5 more and ordered else where. As it stands, I am operating under their STATED terms and am disappointed.

And a tracking number does what? Does it make it show up faster? Will you be able to track it to the warehouse or shipping depot it is sitting in? I can't speak to what totalcycling does (or any other internet retail for that matter), but when placing an order, overseas during the winter, during the holiday season, it is reasonable to expect delays. It seems that PBK has issued statements as to why there are delays, so that might be good enough, at least it should be. I have heard of it taking 3-4 weeks just for shipping up to Canada due to customs, so this is just the way of the world.

Not trying to be a one of those guys, but I will be here...go to your LBS if you need the part TODAY. If you need a part to finish your build, don't order that part form Singapore, Hong Kong, the UK, Germany, Italy or any where else abroad. If the LBS doesn't have it, order it from the States. If you order it from overseas, it might be cheaper, but you will sacrifce something. Tracking numbers aren't free.

Like the saying goes, Cheaper, Faster, Better...pick two.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, you're right. It's unreasonable to read their website, read their stated shipping times, and expect them to come close to delivering what they state they'll do. Clearly ridiculous. I obviously should go to my LBS, under any situation, if I don't want to give them double their stated expectation.

You're also clearly right...tracking items so that you know it's not lost, and know when to expect it, isn't useful. It's why so few people want items tracked. I don't know why fedex even offers it.

leooooo
01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Items being held in customs is totally out of their control....

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
IF that's the hold up, you're right. HOWEVER...a tracking number would have let us know that and saved irritation.

The issue isn't so much that Ribble did anything wrong in shipping the item, it's that they didn't update their website to reflect these challenges. Had I known there were currently delays, I could have bought else where. Heck, even an email after the order stating there were delays would have been fine.

leooooo
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
You’re correct in expecting a tracking number and it does alleviate a certain amount of anxiety.

But just as a personal example, my tracking number just told me that my shipment was handed over to my country's postal service (same and only message for over a whole month).

It was until I received the package itself with a note from US customs saying the item was opened and inspected did I know it was in holding. This particularly didn't bother me as I stated earlier, I was willing to wait till March since I have no need of the ordered item.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 02:57 PM
You’re correct in expecting a tracking number and it does alleviate a certain amount of anxiety.

But just as a personal example, my tracking number just told me that my shipment was handed over to my country's postal service (same and only message for over a whole month).

It was until I received the package itself with a note from US customs saying the item was opened and inspected did I know it was in holding. This particularly didn't bother me as I stated earlier, I was willing to wait till March since I have no need of the ordered item.

I get your point. I remember ordering something that ended up in customs a while back, but there was an indication that was what was happening. I forget how that went down.

Still...just reading this thread, I don't think the issue is customs so much as it is holiday delays, a new process and weather. This was easily avoidable with an update to their site or an email stating there were delays.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Anytime I have purchased from overseas, I don't think I have gotten a tracking number. Hell, the USPS doesn't even offer a tracking number, just a delivery confirmation number. Yes, you should recalibrate your expectations. Lastly, to what degree are you going to hold the shipper acountable for other transit issues (customs)? I have been told, when shipping to Canada, not to even bother with a delivery confirmation as it doesn't typically work. That is why many Ebay sellers refuse to ship there, no way to verify if a claim is made.

Again, Cheaper, Faster, Better...pick two.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Again - update their stated shipping times.

You can throw out your theory of customer service as much as you want, but it doesn't change the fundamental issue...they are having delays. They didn't notify people of their delays. They didn't change their stated shipping expectations. When I've shipped things via ebay, I've notified my customers of delays. It's really that simple. I set an expectation...one where it's LONGER than I expect shipping to take...and I notify when there are issues.

If you come to me and say there is a problem, I think to myself "gee, they're owning their process and keeping me in the loop". When I have to notify them, and get a chain letter, I think "Gee, this stinks, they aren't on top of their process."

If you chose, for yourself, to accept their delay and write it off as cheaper, faster..., that's fine, for you. Please don't use your personal judgement as a standard for the industry to be used by everyone else. Setting expectations on stated policies is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Almost every time I've ordered overseas I've gotten a shipping number. It doesn't always cover what happens within the US...but it does cover what's happening until it gets here.

I'd also like to point out that Totalcycling, which charged LESS for shipping, is an English company that had the same challenges Ribble does. Their package got here over 2 weeks ago.

smead
01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Aaron O - ++1 on your points ..

PBK has been suggesting to me that the problems are due to the US revised homeland security policies. In other words, the problem is on your side of the pond mate, not ours ..

A tracking # could at least confirm which side of the pond the package is on..

And in terms of "what good does a tracking # do"? Come on be serious ..

Because I have no clue if my build parts are just delayed or totally lost, I am in limbo.. I can't order from somewhere else.., just have to wait it out until their deadline to apply for a refund.

I'm not trying to bash PBK, but certainly agree with aaron's points that they could have been much more proactive here.

For me, I'll be keeping my dosh for bike stuff on this continent for a while .., that is until we have a global tracking/postal system - surely that couldn't be that hard eh? :cool:

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
The fundimantal issue might not be that they are having delays, that is your assumption and you are assuming the delays are with them and not anywhere else.

Sorry to be a bore with my service ideas and I think managing expectations is important. I think you seem unwilling to understand is that it is nearly impossible to capture all of the variables involved in international shipping in a succinct policy. I don't care about total cycling, ribble, pbk or any other. The point isn't even they you get provided a tracking number that is of questionable usefulness. The point is not that they are good or bad but rather there are variables outside of their control that a reasonable consumer should factor. People often buy from them because they are cheaper, much cheaper, than us based companies. I dig that and appreciate that, but know that time has value and purchasing a needed part from overseas when the OP did, he might have misjudged the value of time. It seems that PBK have updated their shipping info, too late for the OP though.

I am glad that UK shipping works out for you, but to ignore the inherent inconsistencies is international shipping is not the correct approach.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I shipped out parts stateside yesterday, they do not have a tracking number system. Explain how your expectation of this UK based company are any different than our own USPS?

???? happens fellas, it happens more with international transactions. It sucks, it is a PITA, but hopefully the savings out weight the frustrations.

Aaron O - ++1 on your points ..

PBK has been suggesting to me that the problems are due to the US revised homeland security policies. In other words, the problem is on your side of the pond mate, not ours ..

A tracking # could at least confirm which side of the pond the package is on..

And in terms of "what good does a tracking # do"? Come on be serious ..

Because I have no clue if my build parts are just delayed or totally lost, I am in limbo.. I can't order from somewhere else.., just have to wait it out until their deadline to apply for a refund.

I'm not trying to bash PBK, but certainly agree with aaron's points that they could have been much more proactive here.

For me, I'll be keeping my dosh for bike stuff on this continent for a while .., that is until we have a global tracking/postal system - surely that couldn't be that hard eh? :cool:

smead
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
It's quite simple - the moral of the story might be to pay closer attention to shipping methods (when buying within or outside US) and perhaps favor sellers who use shippers with reliable tracking info.

That was the point of my post here - just to give folks a heads up that PBK shipments are seeing huge delays, and it sounds like they are not the only UK vendor affected. I simply said that w/o having tracking info, it is a bit unsettling when things don't arrive promptly as they normally did with PBK.

Shut up and ride.

I shipped out parts stateside yesterday, they do not have a tracking number system. Explain how your expectation of this UK based company are any different than our own USPS?

???? happens fellas, it happens more with international transactions. It sucks, it is a PITA, but hopefully the savings out weight the frustrations.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I think you were right to do so and the replies certainly seem to be justifying your post. Since these companies haven't provided any notice, it was great that you did. I just wish I had read this prior to ordering. Hopefully others will read this and be able to make a more informed decision that we were able to make.

leooooo
01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
If you come to me and say there is a problem, I think to myself "gee, they're owning their process and keeping me in the loop". When I have to notify them, and get a chain letter, I think "Gee, this stinks, they aren't on top of their process."

Agreed.

rice rocket
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
How do you expect them to be "on top of their own processes" more than they are already? It's OUT OF THEIR CONTROL.

The regular ship time is 1-2 weeks, so none of you are allowed to bitch until week 2. Once week 2 hits, there's already a backlog of a couple million pieces of mail, and as the holiday season progresses, the volume isn't diminishing at all. Do you want someone to hold your hand and beg for forgiveness personally to wait? Canned responses are because they affect EVERYONE, you're not any more special than the others that are experiencing the delay.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
You can answer your own post by reading the posts others made.

I expect them to update their website when a process changes that is going to affect their shipping times. That's owning their process. I expect a proactive email saying they're experiencing delays...a chain one is fine. Clearly the people posting here are well past week 2. I'm on week 4...others are past a month. And no...a two week delay around Xmas isn't normal. Nor is the weather alone responsible for this.

If you take the time to read these posts, which would have made writing what you did unnecessary, you'd see that there is a 3 part problem...weather, Xmas and a process change. None of those three things individually would cause these delays. Instead you have a combination effect. While weather, Xmas and customs changes are out of their control, providing tracking numbers, updated shipping information on their website and proactive emails communicating the issues are in their control.

The problem isn't that it's taking too long, the problem is communication. They can own their process by communicating proactively.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Communication can always be improved and if the delay is on their end of the process that they control, then they should let you know. I just don't know what sort of reply is expected for delays that might be out of their control? Why should they inform everybody of these and, in essence, own this part of the process? That seems unreasonable.

jlwdm
01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I am in business for myself and would not let this happen.

I have ordered plenty of items from PBK and the delivery was always amazing - less than 5 days. This year delivery has gotten a little slower.

I have not posted about the delays or emailed PBK but my small items were ordered on December 6, 2010. You can't blame all of the delays on others.

Fortunately, I did not need the items I ordered immediately.

My relationship with PBK has forever changed. They send me 4-5 emails a week about sales, but they have not sent me anything about shipping issues.

Jeff

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Communication can always be improved and if the delay is on their end of the process that they control, then they should let you know. I just don't know what sort of reply is expected for delays that might be out of their control? Why should they inform everybody of these and, in essence, own this part of the process? That seems unreasonable.

Maybe so that their customers know there are delays, know what to expect and can make informed decisions as to whether to order from therm? Maybe so that they provide accurate information to their customers? Maybe so that they don't piss of their customers? If you aren't upset by this, that's fine...but you're telling others how to feel about a company not meeting a basic level of service. If you don't get what they're doing wrong, I truly hope you aren't in the customer service business.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
You are making this personal for no reason.

I was in customer service for years in college, thankfully not anymore. One thing I learned was it was always the cheapest SOB who complained the most. They wanted the best quality, they wanted everyone to bend over backwards for them but they didn't want to pay squat.

I think it is important for everyone to know that international shipping might be dicey. I am surprised that this is brand new information for some.

Oh well. Time to move on.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I didn't mean to make it personal and apologize if it came off that way. I can see how the last line reads like that. I do think you are making a lot of excuses for them. If they know there is a delay, it is irresponsible not to communicate that to their customers.

I stunk at customer service as well...and am glad I don't do it. That being said, I have standards as a consumer. They have failed to meet mine...or, more to the point, others have met them better. You can call me cheap if you want, but I'd have gladly spent $20 more to not have gone through this.

There has been a drop in customer service across the board, and part of that is because consumers want things inexpensively more than they want great service. You're definitely right about that. There is truth in saying you can't have all three. HOWEVER, not posting shipping delays is just below accustomed standards, poor as they are.

I would not do what they've done on a sale.

onekgguy
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll likely not order from PBK again unless it's something I won't be needing for months. I placed my order with them over 4 weeks ago and got an email on 12/13 saying that my order had been dispatched from their warehouse. I followed up a few days ago with an email inquiring about the status of my order but I've not received a reply. That to me is very poor customer service.

I'd have known nothing about them having shipping difficulties had I not read it here.

My guess is they're shipping stuff on cargo ships and it's being delayed behind stacks of other containers on the pier stateside awaiting inspection/customs/whatever.

Kevin g

jlwdm
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I think it is important for everyone to know that international shipping might be dicey. I am surprised that this is brand new information for some.

But it has not been dicey - their long term record is excellent and consistent. Shipping has been a great asset for PBK. Clients have been consistently posting on forums about how fast the shipping has been.

Jeff

rugbysecondrow
01-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Have a great day!

dbh
01-05-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm not ready to close the book on PBK, but yeah I had a few things which got hung up for nearly a month. I chalked it up to the horrible weather in the UK coupled with all the parcels being shipped for the holiday. If anyone has bought anything this month from PBK, I would be curious to know how long it took to ship to the U.S.

Likes2ridefar
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I ordered some stuff on the 26th of Dec. and haven't received a shipping notice. i've emailed them twice with no response...

echelon_john
01-05-2011, 09:03 AM
FWIW I've ordered a few other things from other vendors (non-bike related) in the UK end Nov/beginning Dec which have not arrived. In each case (3) there is a verifiable hangup in customs. Since the Fedex bombing attempt apparently much has changed and certain categories of package are getting hung up.

Not saying that PBK couldn't be more proactive but there seem to be greater forces at work.

redir
01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
It's nice to know I'm not alone being disgusted by Ribble's delays and lack of service. I placed an order early December and set my expectation on their stated policy...6 to 12 days. It's now been 22 days...and there's only so much of a pass they get for weather and Xmas. My order from Totalcycling was placed the same day and came 15 days ago...and it had tracking. Ribble told me they can't provide tracking with Parcelforce. Why? Totalcycling did.

This is my last order with Ribble. The service has been horrendous and their attitude not much better.
I had tracking with Ribble, it was held up in the UK for about three weeks. As soon as it was sent it was here in days. I wasn't in any particular hurry and I'll tell ya, I got what I was after for about 60% less then I could find it anywhere else in the world so it was worth the wait.

But trust me I know the feeling of coming home every day from work and not seeing the package sitting there on the front porch, it's frustrating.

smead
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I am in business for myself and would not let this happen.

My relationship with PBK has forever changed. They send me 4-5 emails a week about sales, but they have not sent me anything about shipping issues.

Jeff

Exactly. I still get several PBK email notifications per week of amazing deals. These are really starting to annoy me. They have customer email lists. Wouldn't take much to just blast out something saying they are experiencing some US shipment delays. But of course if they do that, orders from the US might slow down. Oh no!, they don't want that to happen.. So just let the US blokes keep the orders a comin .. it's all about making dollars and pounds when dealing with big box distributors. Bottom line baby.

Black Dog
01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Free basic shipping with no tracking. That is what you get from PBK. Why is everyone so upset. Once they send it out they have ZERO control. If there was a serious delay in the system (x-mass and weather) then your basic parcel post package goes to the back of the line until the backlog is cleared. They do not make any shipping guarantees. You can not have everything for nothing. They did post a shipping delay warning. What more do people want for a service that cost them nothing?

I have had some shipments from PBK that were missing items (postal theft) and they were more than willing to replace the lost items at no charge. When both Royal Mail and Canada Post were blaming each other. This is good customer service.

rugbysecondrow
01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Free shipping with no tracking. That is what you get from PBK. Why is everyone so upset. Once they send it out they have ZERO control. If there was a serious delay in the system (x-mass and weather) then your basic parcel post package goes to the back of the line until the backlog is cleared. They do not make any shipping guarantees. You can not have everything for nothing. They did post a shipping delay warning. What more do people want for a service that cost them nothing?

Stop being so reasonable.

smead
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Free basic shipping with no tracking. That is what you get from PBK. Why is everyone so upset. Once they send it out they have ZERO control. If there was a serious delay in the system (x-mass and weather) then your basic parcel post package goes to the back of the line until the backlog is cleared. They do not make any shipping guarantees. You can not have everything for nothing. They did post a shipping delay warning. What more do people want for a service that cost them nothing?

I have had some shipments from PBK that were missing items (postal theft) and they were more than willing to replace the lost items at no charge. When both Royal Mail and Canada Post were blaming each other. This is good customer service.

We all know international shipping is more risky, but I think most have gotten used to PBK shipments arriving within a week. I've used them for a couple of years now and I consistently have my little blue bag on my doorstep within a week. This is obviously not happening now, something's changed, so this is just a heads up for others to help set expectations. That's all.

Hmm if this thread continues much longer, I'll get enough posts to start selling some of my junk in the classifieds :beer: Sweeet.

BumbleBeeDave
01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
. . . just stuff for the upcoming season, so no worries if it takes a while. but it doesn't surprise me at all if shipments from overseas that might be coming via air express normally are backed up from here to Heathrow.

You might remember that several months ago some terrorists came very close to blowing up air cargo jets by shipping computer printers rigged with explosives by--you guessed it--air express. I'm betting they may have come far closer to succeeding than the media accounts may have let on, with disaster averted only by chance and good luck on our side.

After that, it wouldn't surprise me if all small parcel air cargo coming toward our shores is being subjected, piece by piece, to the package equivalent of a full body cavity search from now until further notice. The powers that be are just not taking another chance. That's bound to slow things down a lot and on that score I can totally forgive PBK because they truly do NOT have any control over that.

But on the other side of the coin, I agree with Aaron that they should indeed be taking ownership of at least keeping their customers informed about why shipments have slowed to a crawl.

Here's a good example of somebody who does . . . I ordered from Bikeman in southern Maine a few days ago and got this e-mail confirming my order and letting me know just why it might be hard for me to track it. It's complete and tells me the "why" that I need to know as a customer and why a lot of the process is honestly out of their control. They clearly have been customers themselves waiting for delivery and "get it" as far as what customers want to know in this kind of situation.

If UPS is the carrier please visit www.ups.com to track the progress of your package. Please be aware that once your package leaves Bikeman Headquarters the tracking information is not immediately available from UPS. There is a delay for the UPS tracking system to catch up with the status of the package and the UPS tracking page may return a message with "no information received." Don't fret, if you received a tracking number from us, your package is on the way and you will be able to track it as soon as the UPS system is updated.

If USPS is the carrier please visit www.usps.com to confirm delivery. This is not a true tracking number however, it is only a delivery confirmation number. The USPS tracking system will confirm that the package has been recieved by the postal service and that the package has been delivered. Detailed progress of the shipment while in transit will not be available.

BBD

FixedNotBroken
01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I had tracking with Ribble, it was held up in the UK for about three weeks. As soon as it was sent it was here in days. I wasn't in any particular hurry and I'll tell ya, I got what I was after for about 60% less then I could find it anywhere else in the world so it was worth the wait.

But trust me I know the feeling of coming home every day from work and not seeing the package sitting there on the front porch, it's frustrating.

I ordered something on the 26th of December from Ribble, it was shipped on the 29th. Did I order this after people were having problems? Or what. When did you order your Redir and when did you receive it?

Aaron O
01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't doubt that there are legit problems delaying things. Still, my Totalcycling order had a tracking number and was here in 5 days. I just know not to order from Ribble again...or if I do, there had better be a dramatic price break (there wasn't on what I bought and they certainly did charge for shipping) on stuff I don't really need right now. If Ribble had posted what PBK did, I wouldn't have ordered from them (which is probably why they aren't warning customers). I'd have paid the extra $10 and bought else where.

FixedNotBroken
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't doubt that there are legit problems delaying things. Still, my Totalcycling order had a tracking number and was here in 5 days. I just know not to order from Ribble again...or if I do, there had better be a dramatic price break (there wasn't on what I bought and they certainly did charge for shipping) on stuff I don't really need right now. If Ribble had posted what PBK did, I wouldn't have ordered from them (which is probably why they aren't warning customers). I'd have paid the extra $10 and bought else where.

Hm, well I saved about $70 on the seatpost I bought so i'm not going to complain. This is the first time I have bought from the UK and I don't mind saving money like that. What I have seen..everyone buys from the UK and is spoiled by their prices and how good their shipping is and when something goes wrong, they flip out. Your buying something thousands of miles away..I think saving that much money is worth the wait and PBK has free shipping from what I saw which is pretty sweet.

Patience is a virtue..remember that.

Aaron O
01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
It clearly becomes a ratio of how much cheaper they are vs. how quickly you need whatever it is you're ordering. For me...that ratio would have meant I wouldn't have ordered had I been aware of delays. I saved a total of about $20 from ebay pricing/standard pricing. I can certainly understand that ratio coming out the other way as well. I would have liked enough information to make the decision...I also think communication was lacking.

Bottom line...unless they're dramatically cheaper, I'd rather order from Totalcycling and get a tracking number.

BumbleBeeDave
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
. . . and you'll find plenty of materials from people who have also had trouble with TotalCycling.

Bottom line for me is that if shipping delays are more or less permanent state of affairs, if it's something I can order in advance like tires that they have great prices on then I will go ahead and order.

If it's something I need quick I'll order domestically or (Gasp!) go to my LBS . . .

BBD

TMB
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I fail to understand this whole thread.

Christmas season, post office, epic weather and increased shipping scrutiny on US bound parcels ----- equals longer than normal delivery times.

Shocking.

Most of these factors should be common sense. A couple are man-made complications ( the increased screening )...

None are the fault of PBK or Ribble, or ...

Of course the more likely explanation is that it's personal and someone in England is laughing at YOU right now.

Oh dear...

smead
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Hmm so what do folks feel is a valuable use of a cycling discussion forum?

Read the original thread title - I simply experienced an unusual delay receiving a PBK order, and a forum where a lot of PBK customers lurk seemed like a perfectly reasonable place to see whether or not this was a one off issue. We learned it is not, so that also informs myself and others that perhaps UK orders might be more dicey than usual. You say we should just expect this - no, PBK has historically been quicker than most domestic suppliers.

Maybe I should focus on more constructive cycling related threads here like discussing my BMW or perhaps what is the best tequila :bike:

I fail to understand this whole thread.

Christmas season, post office, epic weather and increased shipping scrutiny on US bound parcels ----- equals longer than normal delivery times.

Shocking.

Most of these factors should be common sense. A couple are man-made complications ( the increased screening )...

None are the fault of PBK or Ribble, or ...

Of course the more likely explanation is that it's personal and someone in England is laughing at YOU right now.

Oh dear...

TMB
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Straw + Camel .......

zmudshark
01-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Wow, what a crazy thread.

Short version: mistakes happen

long version:

I spent my adult working career working for one of the largest shipping companies in the world. Tracking numbers are mostly useless, except to tell you your package is lost. Most of the scans are 'virtual', meaning that is where your package is supposed to be, not where it is. Every postal service scan, be it USPS, or Royal Post, are totally useless. They tell you nothing at all, except your package has been delivered, maybe, but we don't know where.

In the case of ordering from overseas, it is a bigger crapshoot. Multiple agencies handle the parcel, in varying conditions. This holiday season was exceptionally horrendous. The weather in much of the world was abnormal, there was heightened security due to some idiots putting crappy bombs in printer cartridges, and customs is overwhelmed.

Depending on exactly what was in the package, it could be delayed for some time. I've noticed increased scrutiny as to exactly what is in the package, and if it is subject to duty.

Customs could not care less how long they hold your package, just as TSA really doesn't care if you have a pleasant airport experience. When you consider all the factors, it's a wonder we can even order from Europe and expect our shipment in a week. It's possible that the package was mistakenly put on a boat, and sent to Australia (don't laugh, I did have one order sent from GB that went to OZ first, because the postal clerk in GB read 'Arizona' as Australia, had a Melbourne cancellation stamp on it).

Mistakes happen all the time, sucks when it happens to you, but they happen. If the experience sours you on ordering from GB, so be it, your LBS will thank you.

HTH

bike22
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
bump, anyone care to update their shipping / order status?

kohlboto
01-24-2011, 07:52 AM
My Rapha gear was ordered on Jan 11th, shipped from England (not Portland) and delivered to me in Western Canada on the 14th...It was like they use Voodoo Magic to ship that fast. I'm not sure what they do differently than everyone else but I am in awe of their process...

AngryScientist
01-24-2011, 07:59 AM

i just ordered some tires on sale from PBK, they were a good deal, and i dont estimate needing them until around August/September. hopefully they will be here by then :D

AngryScientist
01-24-2011, 08:00 AM
My Rapha gear was ordered on Jan 11th, shipped from England (not Portland) and delivered to me in Western Canada on the 14th...It was like they use Voodoo Magic to ship that fast. I'm not sure what they do differently than everyone else but I am in awe of their process...

i can beat that. i ordered the Rapha essentials case (finally!), with FREE delivery. it was literally on my doorstep in NJ the next day from the UK, how they did this, i have no idea. Rapha does not fool around.

kohlboto
01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
i can beat that. i ordered the Rapha essentials case (finally!), with FREE delivery. it was literally on my doorstep in NJ the next day from the UK, how they did this, i have no idea. Rapha does not fool around.

hey, exactly what I ordered as well, free shipping too...weird

Bob Ross
01-24-2011, 08:15 AM

My order was placed ~12/10/2010, PBK told me it shipped on 12/13/2010...and it just arrived this past Friday 1/21/2011. Prior to its arrival they had told me they wouldn't consider it "lost" or "delayed" until 26 working days had passed from the ship date.

Likes2ridefar
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I ordered dec. 26th and just checked again at the post office today. It has not arrived.

smead
01-24-2011, 11:25 AM

I hesitate to for risk of being flamed again for creating such a dumb post :confused: .., but I will close the loop here.

I ordered small bits on 11/29, they shipped on 12/3, I requested and received a refund from PBK on 1/21. I'm beginning to wonder if the package will ever arrive. I ordered the parts (DA 7700 shifters) from outsideoutfitters the next day, and they are already in my garage.

I'm also wondering how PBK will handle the return if/when I ever get it. I will gladly send it back to them, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay any shipping back to the UK.

I still like PBK, I'm sure this wasn't their fault, but needless to say I'm holding off any future orders for a while until this clears up.

old fat man
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I have two orders that seem overdue

12/17
12/24

I'm not desperate for either but don't want to totally forget about them. PBK said the same to me, wait about 30 days before the refund. They've always been good about refunding or offering to take back defective items. The one defective item I had recently, they gave me a pre-paid return shipping label/process.

I'll give em into February to arrive but hope it doesn't take that long.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Ordered on 12/24, shipped on 12/29, and still hasn't arrived. Although I don't absolutely need the things I ordered, I have refrained from ordering a few things I need within the next 2-3 weeks for a new bike build.

I can't help but believe that there is some change in shipping method used on PBK's end. These problems go all the way back to November, before the bad weather hit. And I don't believe TSA or other security is entirely responsible for the dramatic increase in shipping times.

I guess I got spoiled with the free, lightning-fast shipping from PBK. However, it is worth it to me now to spend a few more bucks now on domestic retailers to get the things quicker.

thegunner
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
is the same true of all the UK retailers? (shiny, wiggle, crc, and ribble)? just curious since in the past, i've gotten my ribble orders in about a week, and this time it's been nearly 3.

FlashUNC
01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
hey, exactly what I ordered as well, free shipping too...weird

Rapha's got their winter sale going on now, and they're throwing in free shipping.

Not a bad deal for free overnight from London...

akelman
01-24-2011, 01:19 PM
is the same true of all the UK retailers? (shiny, wiggle, crc, and ribble)? just curious since in the past, i've gotten my ribble orders in about a week, and this time it's been nearly 3.

I ordered something from Ribble a week ago and received the item last Friday: four days from the UK to the Pacific coast of the USA!

jlwdm
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
My order was made on 12/6 and shipped on 12/9. I am beyond the waiting period so I had emailing PBK on my list of things to do today. As I was reading this thread I got an email on my Blackberry that the PBK package had arrived at my office.

Jeff

thegunner
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I ordered something from Ribble a week ago and received the item last Friday: four days from the UK to the Pacific coast of the USA!

WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE?! :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
. . . and got an e-mail on the 30th saying they had shipped. No delivery yet.

BBD

FixedNotBroken
01-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Curious to how this happened...I bought a Deda Superzero seatpost on the 26th, it was said that it dispatched on the 29th and it still isn't here. I emailed Ribble and I didn't get a response then I sent another asking about their refund policy if a package never arrives and I said I did not want an automated response so I have been corresponding with someone real. He told me they have been backed up with weather, the holidays, and they have been super busy. You got your part in less than a week..mine is taking 19 days today and still nothing. I'm not sure what to do..

akelman
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't know what to say. I've always had incredibly good luck with Ribble. And I mean it when I say "luck", as I'm sure it has nothing to do with me.

rugbysecondrow
01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't know what to say. I've always had incredibly good luck with Ribble. And I mean it when I say "luck", as I'm sure it has nothing to do with me.

Don't sell yourself short, you obviously have incredible part ordering skills. ;)

akelman
01-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Don't sell yourself short, you obviously have incredible part ordering skills. ;)

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but you're probably right. For example, I always use a smiley emoticon when I place my order. And I draw on my Canadian heritage to replace "labor" with "labour" and whatnot. The little things add up, I guess.

FlashUNC
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but you're probably right. For example, I always use a smiley emoticon when I place my order. And I draw on my Canadian heritage to replace "labor" with "labour" and whatnot. The little things add up, I guess.

Maybe try attaching an mp3 of God Save the Queen?

akelman
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Also, it's a measure both of how juvenile I am and also of my advanced years that every time I see the words, "don't sell yourself short," I assume that I'm about to be told that I'm an incredible slouch.

akelman
01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe try attaching an mp3 of God Save the Queen?

I would worry that the Sex Pistols might offend a proper royalist.

rugbysecondrow
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM

Bravo

maximus
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I haven't gone through this whole thread, but I had an order shipped by ribble on Dec 23rd and it has still not arrived. Typically it takes about a week to get to me.

Their customer service requested I give it til tomorrow (the 25th) before they refund me mentioning storms and the holidays. I think its lost somewhere out there. Sucks because its the winter cycling gear I really could be using right now =/

bobswire
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Ordered some Bib knickers from PBK on the 7th Jan. and they arrived today.
They were worth the wait considering the price w/free shipping.
In the past (like early last year) I would get things in a week.
I'm still waiting on some campy shifters I ordered from Ribble around the same time.

FlashUNC
01-24-2011, 07:03 PM
I would worry that the Sex Pistols might offend a proper royalist.

Nah. Queen Mum's a huge fan of Anarchy in the UK from what I hear.

dave thompson
01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Nah. Queen Mum's a huge fan of Anarchy in the UK from what I hear.
Could be, though she's dead.

FlashUNC
01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Could be, though she's dead.

Details details.

DHallerman
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM

I ordered some parts from Wiggle on December 17, and received notice they were shipped on December 20.

Hadn't received the parts last week, a month later.

When I emailed Wiggle about that, the customer service gent offered to refund my money or reship.

Since the parts I ordered are NOT available in the States, and since I still want them, I asked him to reship. That went out on January 22.

Quick responses from Wiggle to several emails from me, and a reasonable solution.

Considering this thread, and a similar thread on the iBOB list about slow or missing packages from the UK, I'd say that Wiggle did the right thing.

Dave, who can imagine that both packages from Wiggle will eventually show up on his doorstep and then he'll have to return one

thegunner
01-25-2011, 07:22 AM
well an update. i sent an email to ribble, and they told me they'd resend my package (assuming it's lost) today. great. 3 weeks of lost time.

Aaron O
01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I finally did receive the Ribble order...

They sent me an email asking me to contact them January 5th if I didn't receive my order. I sent an email...got no reply...sent another email and finally got a response on the 11th. They were out of the bar tape I ordered and said they'd refund the tape. They told me my tubulars were being mailed (I'd ordered clinchers). They promised I'd receive a tracking number. I had to ask for the tracking number before I got it. I had to follow up about the bartape and a different person told me they'd reship it later, not refund it. In all I had to send 8 emails AFTER they said they would reship. Several responses were poorly written or rude...effectively blaming me because they had two people answering emails who weren't talking to one another.

Finally the original order came through...6 weeks after I ordered it. I have no idea what to do with it now...I am extremely agitated by their poor organization and service but feel like a thief if I keep it. I'll probably ship it back and just not deal with them again. I don't blame them for the delays, I do blame them for poor service, poor organization and poor communication.

russ46
01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
My experiance with Wiggle has been great. The looooong lead time recently was a pain, but their response couldn't be better.

A few orders I place last summer averaged around 5 business days before receipt.

Then I placed an order in November & finally contacted them about 4 weeks later to inquire about delivery. They said it was probably lost in the post & offered to credit my account or reship. I told them to reship & about 4 days later I received the order. A few weeks ago I received the order again & realized the first receipt was from the 1st shipment & took almost 5 weeks. Contacted Wiggle again & they said to return the 2nd shipment & they would refund shipping cost. IMO, Wiggle couldn't have been more accomadating.

yngpunk
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
FWIW...

My Ribble order was placed Jan. 17th, shipped Jan 21st and received today in the Midwest.

As for my Nashbar order placed on Jan. 16th...not a sign of it...

YMMV

thegunner
01-25-2011, 06:29 PM
FWIW...

My Ribble order was placed Jan. 17th, shipped Jan 21st and received today in the Midwest.

YMMV

looks like they added shipping tracking btw!

yngpunk
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
I assume you're talking about Nashbar having tracking...found that out by checking my account...doesn't appear that Nashbar actually tells you that it shipped...you need to find out yourself.

Package somewhere in the USPS system...

thegunner
01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I assume you're talking about Nashbar having tracking...found that out by checking my account...doesn't appear that Nashbar actually tells you that it shipped...you need to find out yourself.

Package somewhere in the USPS system...

nah ribble. i know in the past they kind of just shipped stuff without telling you, but this time i got a parcelforce number :) kinda nice.

FixedNotBroken
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
FWIW...

YMMV

I guess the reason why yours shipped quicker was because they sent yours when it wasn't the holidays and the weather wasn't bad..bummer. Lucky!

jacques_anqueti
01-26-2011, 06:44 AM
www.lickbike.com

FixedNotBroken
01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
It's been about 22 days and still no package. Do you guys suggest I just get the refund and buy the same item from them since they aren't backed up and the weather is good? And of course return the one when it shows up in the next decade..

BobbyJones
01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
FWIW, I had an order shipped Dec 14th and it showed up Jan 21st.

Just one more story for ya.

FixedNotBroken
01-27-2011, 09:50 PM
I'll wait another two weeks then.

thegunner
01-27-2011, 09:51 PM
can someone in the UK/understands how parcelforce works decipher this for me?

26-01-2011 00:31 International Hub Received and processed
26-01-2011 00:30 International Hub Forwarded for export
25-01-2011 23:06 International Hub Received and processed
25-01-2011 15:23 Preston Depot Tracked out of Local Hub
25-01-2011 14:40 Preston Depot Collected from customer

does this mean it's in transit over the atlantic? or is it just sitting at their "international hub?" whatever that is.

BobbyJones
01-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I still don't know how they *usually* get stuff here so quick.

It's pretty freaking amazing in comparison to our domestic mailorder places.

Willy
01-27-2011, 10:00 PM
FWI - I ordered a jersey Dec 30 and it arrived today in California

FixedNotBroken
01-28-2011, 03:20 AM
FWI - I ordered a jersey Dec 30 and it arrived today in California

When did it ship? Was the 30th the ship date or the date you purchased it?

Willy
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Purchased 12/20 and per the shipping label sent 1/6

Willy
01-28-2011, 09:14 AM
sorry purchased 12/30 and shipped 1/6 - can't seem to type!

wtex
01-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm in same boat, ordered 1/4, still waiting for it.

Joachim
01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Ordered from Ribble, 24 Dec, shipped 28 Dec, still nothing.

Ordered from Probikekit 30 Dec, shipped 31, nothing.

Both small packages.

rwsaunders
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I placed an order for some gear on 14 Jan and it arrived yesterday.

wtex
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I do have to add I've sent 2 inquiries to Ribble and they've responded quickly.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm ticked off at PBK:

ordered 12/24
shipped 12/29
2 emails this week and no response

I see someone else in CA ordered six days after me and just received their package yesterday. Me, I've got nothing.

FixedNotBroken
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Ordered from Ribble, 24 Dec, shipped 28 Dec, still nothing.

Ordered from Probikekit 30 Dec, shipped 31, nothing.

Both small packages.

I ordered mine on the 26th, shipped on the 29th (supposedly). I guess there is that month period of December that just killed people. Bummer!

Idris Icabod
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Guy I work with ordered 2 times from PBK last week and both packages are here and on his bike.

nm87710
01-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Ordered on 1/11. Dispatched on 1/13. Arrived 1/28.

alexstar
01-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I ordered on the 6th, it shipped on the 10th. I am hopeful that it will arrive next week.

onekgguy
01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, I'm ticked off at PBK:

ordered 12/24
shipped 12/29
2 emails this week and no response

I see someone else in CA ordered six days after me and just received their package yesterday. Me, I've got nothing.

My order took about 4 weeks to arrive and it shipped within a day or two of when I placed the order. I'm not sure if PBK is who your frustration should be directed at or if it's the processing on the US side. If anything I do think PBK could maybe be a little better at communicating the length of time it may take to receive your order but then again they may not have any idea either. My guess is they're swamped and it's all they can do to keep up with inquiries.

Kevin g

Uncle Jam's Army
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
My order took about 4 weeks to arrive and it shipped within a day or two of when I placed the order. I'm not sure if PBK is who your frustration should be directed at or if it's the processing on the US side. If anything I do think PBK could maybe be a little better at communicating the length of time it may take to receive your order but then again they may not have any idea either. My guess is they're swamped and it's all they can do to keep up with inquiries.

Kevin g

I've placed about 14 orders with PBK last year, and they all arrived within 6-10 days of placing the order, until this last one. My frustration, more than anything now, is with their failure to respond to two emails I sent this week (Monday and Thursday). I understand the customs issue that people are experiencing. I don't understand a failure to respond to emails.

And I am a bit baffled that people who recently ordered from PBK are having their shipments delivered before mine.

Black Dog
01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
I've placed about 14 orders with PBK last year, and they all arrived within 6-10 days of placing the order, until this last one. My frustration, more than anything now, is with their failure to respond to two emails I sent this week (Monday and Thursday). I understand the customs issue that people are experiencing. I don't understand a failure to respond to emails.

And I am a bit baffled that people who recently ordered from PBK are having their shipments delivered before mine.

So, over 90% of you orders have arrived quickly and one is slow. You know that PBK has no control over shipping or ability to track once the order has left their hands. If customs has pulled you package for a random check or if it got diverted they it will be a while before it arrives. They may be slow to respond to emails (not good at all) but I bet that they will help you resolve the issue. This is the nature of ordering from overseas and getting free shipping.

PBK is a discount, no frills shop. There are risks. Be patient. Great service, cheap prices, and free shipping; pick two. There are other sources that will get your stuff to your door faster and with tracking, but something for nothing is asking a bit much. I think that PBK should offer express shipping with tracking for a fee. I also bet that it would be rarely used. Still to get most items from >6000km to your door in 6-10 days for free is amazing. Try doing that 10 years ago.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
So, over 90% of you orders have arrived quickly and one is slow. You know that PBK has no control over shipping or ability to track once the order has left their hands. If customs has pulled you package for a random check or if it got diverted they it will be a while before it arrives. They may be slow to respond to emails (not good at all) but I bet that they will help you resolve the issue. This is the nature of ordering from overseas and getting free shipping. PBK is a discount, no frills shop. There are risks. Be patient. Great service, cheap prices, and free shipping; pick two. There are other sources that will get your stuff to your door faster and with tracking, but something for nothing is asking a bit much. I think that PBK should offer an express shipping with tracking for a fee. I also bet that it would be rarely used.

I've actually started buying things I need now from US retailers, since I can't seem to rely on PBK anymore. And there are many people in the same boat as me with delayed shipments. A friend of mine bought two tires from PBK in the first days of November based on my recommendation and didn't receive them until the middle of December, so these delays are more than isolated and not only related to "bad weather." Thinking my friend's problem was an isolated incident, I went ahead and placed an order on 12/24. But the failure to respond to emails really is inexcusable, irrespective of cheap prices, free shipping.

I'll spend my money domestically now and save myself the headaches. You can get some good prices here at home, too.

Black Dog
01-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I've actually started buying things I need now from US retailers, since I can't seem to rely on PBK anymore. And there are many people in the same boat as me with delayed shipments. A friend of mine bought two tires from PBK in the first days of November based on my recommendation and didn't receive them until the middle of December, so these delays are more than isolated and not only related to "bad weather." Thinking my friend's problem was an isolated incident, I went ahead and placed an order on 12/24. But the failure to respond to emails really is inexcusable, irrespective of cheap prices, free shipping.

I'll spend my money domestically now and save myself the headaches. You can get some good prices here at home, too.

I agree with you. If you can buy domestic then it is the way to go. The grey market that PBK deals in is killing domestic sales.

TMB
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
134 posts because the mail is late.

Amazing.

thegunner
01-28-2011, 11:04 PM
134 posts because the mail is late.

Amazing.

it's winter! i'm grouchy and irritable!

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2011, 08:58 PM
. . . in response my inquiry about my order of December 26.

I apologize about your wait for the parcel to be delivered. We have a
lot of customer in the same position as you. Due to the delays in the UK
and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security imposed some restrictions
lots of parcels are extremely delayed. This is not a common occurrence
and I hope your parcel will be with you shortly. If you have not
received your parcel 28 working days after it was dispatched (9th
February) We will be able to make a claim for the parcel and either send
it out again to an alternative address or issue you with a full refund.

Regards

Probikekit Team

BBD

SoCalSteve
01-31-2011, 10:26 PM
. . . in response my inquiry about my order of December 26.

I apologize about your wait for the parcel to be delivered. We have a
lot of customer in the same position as you. Due to the delays in the UK
and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security imposed some restrictions
lots of parcels are extremely delayed. This is not a common occurrence
and I hope your parcel will be with you shortly. If you have not
received your parcel 28 working days after it was dispatched (9th
February) We will be able to make a claim for the parcel and either send
it out again to an alternative address or issue you with a full refund.

Regards

Probikekit Team

BBD

Thats great customer service!

Ive been really lucky with them. Everything I ever ordered came in a very timely manner.

AngryScientist
02-01-2011, 06:19 AM
just got a set of tires i ordered in mid January, a little longer than the usual wait, but nothing crazy.

AngryScientist
02-01-2011, 06:25 AM

i'm undeterred in ordering from the UK, especially for campy stuff and consumables like tires. you can get campy cassettes for literally half of what you can domestically, and i'm amazed the prices of tires compared to over here. $58 shipped for two schwalbe ultremos, when they cost $65 for one at my lbs?

anyway, for me, consumables are simply a long lead item. i keep a spare cassette, chain and a few tires in the basement. when i replace something, i order a new replacement, if it takes two months to get a new chain, i dont care, i wont need it for several months. same with tires and other consumables.

just my 2-cents.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm still waiting for my order placed on 12/24. I agree, the consumables are cheap there (I bought a bunch of 8 speed Record cassettes for like $42 last year), but this time they let me down. I ordered a cheap Vittoria tubular tire (along with a tin of Mastik 1 glue) that I planned to use as an emergency spare for a new set of tubular wheels and tires I have. Haven't tried them out, as I'm waiting for the spare.

And I am still bothered that I have not had at least the courtesy of a canned response like BBD received to the two messages I sent them. I know they can't control what US Customs does, but they can control responding to emails.

old_fat_and_slow
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
No problems for me (so far).

Ordered from Ribble on 1/25.

Order shipped from Ribble on 1/28.

Order received on US left coast on 2/1.

Keeping fingers crossed on a subsequent order from Wiggle and prior to the US east coast blizzard.

Similar thread on another forum here:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=234486

thegunner
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
No problems for me (so far).

Ordered from Ribble on 1/25.

Order shipped from Ribble on 1/28.

Order received on US left coast on 2/1.

Keeping fingers crossed on a subsequent order from Wiggle and prior to the US east coast blizzard.

... east coast ordered on 12/21 still missing. thanks ribble.

FixedNotBroken
02-06-2011, 07:01 PM
... east coast ordered on 12/21 still missing. thanks ribble.

The seatpost that I ordered on the 26th, and it despatched on the 29th, finally came yesterday here on west coast. The build is finally complete, keep your head up.

1centaur
02-07-2011, 05:08 AM
I ordered Jan 24 and it arrived Feb 4.

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2011, 06:25 AM
. . . somewhere there's a shipping container that went out right at the end of December that's still sitting on a loading dock somewhere.

Or else the "slow boat" sank mid-Atlantic . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD

Likes2ridefar
02-07-2011, 06:26 AM
. . . somewhere there's a shipping container that went out right at the end of December that's still sitting on a loading dock somewhere.

Or else the "slow boat" sank mid-Atlantic . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD

it has my fenders in it!

bobswire
02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Here's the culprit > http://www.usps.com/international/serviceupdates.htm#H52

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Here's the culprit > http://www.usps.com/international/serviceupdates.htm#H52

. . . seems o be for mail incoming to the UK, not for mail going out to other countries. :confused:

BBD

hockeybike
02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Have people seen any decrease in the delays, recently? Thinking of putting in a PBK order for some odds and ends, but not sure I want to wait forever for a saddle bag to save 10 bucks.

bobswire
02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
. . . seems o be for mail incoming to the UK, not for mail going out to other countries. :confused:

BBD

Information on Inbound International Mail
Due to recent incidents involving international cargo, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) instituted heightened security measures to safeguard air transport. These directives apply to U.S. bound international mail and cargo.

Since that time, a world-wide effort among UPU members and postal operators to meet the requirements of the new TSA directives has resulted in improvements in transit times for international mail bound for the U.S.
I'm still awaiting for items from Ribble I purchased on 1/4/2011

I think folks ordering now will have faster delivery but those of us who ordered in mid December and early Jan. got our shipments held up in some container that has yet to be cleared.

old_fat_and_slow
02-07-2011, 01:50 PM
. . . seems to be for mail incoming to the UK, not for mail going out to other countries. :confused:

BBD

BBD,

You didn't scroll down far enough. Down towards the bottom of Bob's link is the following:

United Kingdom

The postal administration of the United Kingdom has advised that severe disruption to mail processing and delivery continues throughout the country. Depots located in Scotland, the north east of England and Charlton in London remain the worst affected by the severe weather. Deliveries to most rural and remote areas in the depots listed below and those in the East and North of the country continue to be badly affected.

hope that provides some solace.

thegunner
02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
so a conclusion to my ordeal, after over 1.5 months, my resent package arrived after 5 days. they might've actually lost the first though... it seems that way anyway.