PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Finish Fix

OldDog
05-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Last night I dropped my bike, scratching the carbon finish on my Record Brifters. Nothing deep, but a visual blemish rough to the touch on the outer most edge of the brake lever.

How best to touch this up? Maybe a fine sanding and a touch of clearcoat? Or get a new bike? :rolleyes:

As always, thanks for the advice...

OD

Ozz
05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I've heard clear fingernail polish works....and really goes well with with shaved legs! ;)

Maybe others can confirm or deny. My guess is you want to be careful that the solvent won't react with the resin holding the carbon fibers together.

Kevan
05-10-2005, 11:40 AM
so.

In light of your "new bike" crack, I think the only solution here is to assign the bike to a forum-appointed guardian for a term compensatory to the harm caused the bicycle. I think the majority will agree, your treatment was both reckless and irresponsible, and nothing short of reprehensible, particularly in light of your cruel and heartless joke.

Folks, I'm extending my offer to support and nourish this bike back to health, for as long as it takes.

Sandy
05-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Folks, I'm extending my offer to support and nourish Kevan to make him into a real cyclist, for as long as it takes, or for 5 hours, whichever comes first. :banana: :banana:

Watching the time go by,

Stopwatch Sandy

92degrees
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I put a nice white nick in a CF fork last year. Nothing major, just a cosmetic issue that bothered me. I touched the scratch up with a Sharpie and then used Hard As Nails. After sanding it flush with 600 grit and then buffing it out with car wax, it is completely invisible. I doubt I could find it without a loupe.

OldDog
05-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Geez...I was about to follow Kevins advice and donate this fine Sachs to him and Sandy. I figured you guys could ride tandem, Sandy sitting on Kevans shoulders, for the rest of the season. Then 92 came along and saved it for me...

OldDog
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
92 - other than looking in the mirror, where do I find Hard as Nails? Is this a fingernail product?

Kevan
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
What does 92 know???

Send me the dang bike!!!

Sandy
05-10-2005, 12:31 PM
92 degrees, no way. We know he should be 98.6 degrees. He might have brain freeze. Sent the bike to Kevan or me. :) :)

Sandy

92degrees
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
92 - other than looking in the mirror, where do I find Hard as Nails? Is this a fingernail product?

Yes, clear finger nail polish. I use it for fly-tying, honest :rolleyes:

Most any convenience store or supermarket should have it. If not, any clear nail polish should work.

You can send the bike to Kevan if it doesn't work out.

92degrees
05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
92 degrees, no way. We know he should be 98.6 degrees. He might have brain freeze. Sent the bike to Kevan or me. :) :) Sandy

Probably true on the brain freeze. Actually, it's a reference to McGuane's Ninety-two in the Shade -- which was the reg. name of one of my dogs. Thought you might like that story Sandy.

Steve800
05-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Last night I dropped my bike, scratching the carbon finish on my Record Brifters. Nothing deep, but a visual blemish rough to the touch on the outer most edge of the brake lever.

How best to touch this up? Maybe a fine sanding and a touch of clearcoat? Or get a new bike? :rolleyes:

As always, thanks for the advice...

OD

You could sand it down then reshoot it with clear coat.