PDA

View Full Version : Serious crash at the Giro

Keith A
05-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I just read the article (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/may05/may10news2) on CylingNews about David Herrero's crash. Let's hope he has a speedy recover to a crash that almost ended his life.

This is how they found him...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/news/may05/ldm.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
05-10-2005, 10:47 AM
. . . photos. No helmet and this guy would be dead, dead, dead . . .

BBDave

PaulE
05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Alberto Lopez de Munain who crashed?

Keith A
05-10-2005, 11:23 AM
According to CyclingNews it is David Herrero

sspielman
05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
The horrific photographs are of Alberto Lopez de Munain. Herrero was mentioned in the context of Euskaltel getting a much needed victory in the second stage at Alcobendas. The Basque team has not caught much of a break this season and is having a very difficult time adapting to the Pro Tour; they are obliged to participate in lots of races that they have never done before. I hope the best for Poor Alberto.

Keith A
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks for correcting my mistake -- I should read the article a little better before posting something about it :crap:

Brian
05-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I just happened to turn on the OLN live feed at the exact moment this guy went down. He touched the wheel of the bike in front of him and his bike slid out from underneath him. It was an easy paceline by pro standards and no one was riding particularly hard. It appeared to be nothing more than a brief moment of inattention.

Unfortunately, he happened to be just far enough from the guardrail that when he fell, his face and head hit the guardrail dead on. It was one of the nastiest crashed I have ever seen. When he finally came to rest, he was completely motionless. I truly thought he had died. I was happy to see him finally move.

Climb01742
05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
cyclingnews.com posted one photo. which could not be clicked on and enlarged. for good reason, i think.

Onno
05-10-2005, 02:49 PM
It's at about 1:15.00 of yesterday's feed (and yes, I've figured out how to move around in the feed). It is indeed very scary.

Looks as though he was reaching for his water bottle when he lost control.

Onno

BumbleBeeDave
05-11-2005, 11:49 AM
<< Alberto Lopez de Munain was diagnosed with a hydropneumothorax caused by nine broken ribs, a broken left collar bone, a broken shoulder blade, damage to the left shoulder as well as grazes and cuts to his back, knees and face. He is conscious, in a stable condition and out of immediate danger, as he is getting drainage to improve the hydropneumothorax. Euskaltel-Euskadi expresses their deep gratitude to the Giuseppe Iannelli hospital staff, the race organisers and the local authorities for their fabulous treatment and support.>>

BBDave

Kevan
05-11-2005, 12:00 PM
a couple Ibu just thinking about his pain.

Keith A
05-11-2005, 12:23 PM
In addition, CyclingNews reported "His face is all cut and bruised, his left eyebrow is cut and swollen, his nose has lost all its skin"

This is also telling of how bad this was, check out his DS's account when he got into the ambulance...

A deeply affected Madariaga continued that "I got into the ambulance with him, at the start he was still unconscious. After a little while he began to see things. I asked him 'Alberto do you know me?' and he replied 'Where am I?' I told him 'be calm, you are in the Giro d'Italia and you have fallen, we are going to the hospital and everything will be OK'. He told me 'I am in a lot of pain... don't leave me alone.' That was all he said until we arrived at the hospital - it only took 8 minutes."

Let's hope his is doing better now, but it will certainly take some time to recover from this crash.