PDA

View Full Version : Throw a magnet at cars that buzz you?

avalonracing
12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
A friend sent me this idea:

http://gizmodo.com/5714921/if-youre-a-cyclist-throw-this-magnet-at-the-next-car-who-endangers-your-life

Not a bad idea. It might be more effective if instead of the text used it said "FU" and if instead of being written on a magnet it is inscribed on a brick. But it still isn't a bad idea.

Dekonick
12-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Hmmm - give someone an incentive to buzz you again to collect more prizes?

It might work for grandma... but joe buzzalot is just going to relish collecting them.

avalonracing
12-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Hmmm - give someone an incentive to buzz you again to collect more prizes?

It might work for grandma... but joe buzzalot is just going to relish collecting them.

Hence my "improved" masonry edition. :D

rustychain
12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
At first I liked the idea but after thinking it over not so much. If I have time to toss this at a car there is really not much of a problem to bitch about

vqdriver
12-19-2010, 03:42 PM
i agree with rusty

i've been buzzed a few times, but only once where i felt threatened. it happened FAST. by the time i realized what happened the car was a 100 yards gone.

but i suppose you could use this on those occasions when you catch them at a light.

thegunner
12-19-2010, 03:48 PM
this is why i drove a saturn. plastic car. good luck getting magnets to stick on that thing!

csm
12-19-2010, 03:51 PM
this is why i drove a saturn. plastic car. good luck getting magnets to stick on that thing!

corvette drivers enjoy the same advantage. as do most Lotuses I think.

Mike748
12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
The magnet might go through the Lotus... the 'glass is so thin.

But then I can't remember the last time I was buzzed by a cool car.

xjoex
12-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think this does anything to help bicyclists, makes "Joe Sixpack" think we are a bunch of elitists Nancys'.

-Joe

Ahneida Ride
12-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Also could polarize people ..

Magnets have North and South Poles ? get it ??? :crap:

palincss
12-19-2010, 06:37 PM
i agree with rusty

i've been buzzed a few times, but only once where i felt threatened. it happened FAST. by the time i realized what happened the car was a 100 yards gone.

but i suppose you could use this on those occasions when you catch them at a light.

Only ever happened to me once, and it was a cop car that did it - after having followed me about 3' behind me for over 0.1 mi. I kept going slower and slower and still he wouldn't pass; finally I stopped and he floored it, giving me a couple of cm clearance from the right side-view mirror.

I didn't have time to notice the number on the car, never mind fish out and throw a magnet at him. I doubt even a pro baseball pitcher could have hit him with a magnet, as quickly as he opened out distance.

This was on Cemetery Rd. north of Remington VA, just after he had harassed and terrified a woman on the ride threatening to ticket her because she was riding two abreast (she wasn't) and that riding two abreast on that road was illegal (it's not).

Bob Ross
12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
I can't remember the last time I was buzzed by a cool car.

Pretty much by definition, but yeah, it does seem to work out that way...usually the worst transgressions are from pickup trucks & SUVs.

jvp
12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
CWMD has a kinda funny take on it:
CWMD (http://cyclingwmd.blogspot.com/)

rugbysecondrow
12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
The fastest I have ever climbed was when I was chasing the car that threw a bolt that hit me. Luckily it hit my helmet, but I SOOOO wanted to catch that MF. It is a good thing they were going up hill rather than down hill because that little bastard would have had some splaining to do, and I am not a good listener!

I thought I would add a funny story.

I college, I was riding home from class very leisurely (back pack on, soda in hand, no helmet...nobody wore helmets then). I came to a stop sign (4 way stop), looked, started to cross and a dude in his car blew the stop sign, came inches from my front wheel and turned left in front of me. With out thinking, I chucked my full Pepsi inside his drivers window and thumped him in the head. He stopped, I stopped. I hopped off my bike in the middle of the intersection just as he got out of his car, he realized this was not going to be a fair fight and he hurried back into his car and took off, soda and all. I was still thirsty, but it was funny. It likely was not the smartest thing to do, but it was a reaction and I wonder if he looks at 4 way stops now? Maybe I created a cyclist hater? Anyway, it was humorous to me.

A friend sent me this idea:

http://gizmodo.com/5714921/if-youre-a-cyclist-throw-this-magnet-at-the-next-car-who-endangers-your-life

Not a bad idea. It might be more effective if instead of the text used it said "FU" and if instead of being written on a magnet it is inscribed on a brick. But it still isn't a bad idea.

David Kirk
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
The magnet might go through the Lotus... the 'glass is so thin.

But then I can't remember the last time I was buzzed by a cool car.

This is why I give cyclists a wide birth - if you threw your bottle at my car you would total it.

dave