PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations and Vittoria Paves

kohlboto
12-19-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm planning to put some Vittoria Paves on my Hampsten for the inclement weather riding but I was wondering, before I purchase a set, is there any other tire I should consider in the 23-25 mm range that could rival the Paves?

TimmyB
12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Those are my favourite tires. Highly recommended! :beer:

kohlboto
12-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Are they your favs for all conditions or more for poor weather conditions?

AngryScientist
12-19-2010, 03:01 PM
these tires can not be beaten for foul weather performance IMO, the downside is the cost, they are pretty expensive no matter who you get them from.

they arent the beat choice for a good weather race tire, but for anything other than that, they're great.

climbgdh
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
these tires can not be beaten for foul weather performance IMO, the downside is the cost, they are pretty expensive no matter who you get them from.

they arent the beat choice for a good weather race tire, but for anything other than that, they're great.

I've been using Paves for a while now. I don't find them that expensive at all. I just picked up 4 from Wiggle for $43 CAD each. No more expensive than most others out there. Course my LBS want $75 CAD for them. Check Wiggle or Ribble online. They regularly have tire sales.

kohlboto
12-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Canadian pricing on all tires is a bit obscene...looks like I'm checking Wiggle...

lhuerta
12-19-2010, 07:41 PM
I just wish they made the clincher version in 27mm as well as 24...just like the two tubular versions. Still great tires dispute their narrow profile.
LH

BCS
12-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I like the Pave a lot but you might consider the Continental 4 Season. IMO more durable, not quite as supple a ride, but comes in a 25mm and 28 mm

FlashUNC
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I like the Pave a lot but you might consider the Continental 4 Season. IMO more durable, not quite as supple a ride, but comes in a 25mm and 28 mm

I'll second the Conti recommendation.

TimmyB
12-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Are they your favs for all conditions or more for poor weather conditions?
Well, my budget does not permit me to switch tires with the changing of the seasons / weather. So, I use them for all weather conditions all year round. They seem to work pretty darn well when it's not raining outside as well as when it is. I'm sure there are some slightly better tires for when it's dry out. But, I'd personally rather have a tire that works well in everything, until I get signed on a pro team and they buy my tires. I don't think pave's (or any tire for that matter) have ever held me back in a race :rolleyes: .

kohlboto
12-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Do the Paves have any sort of puncture resistance feature like the Continental 4 seasons?

mister
12-20-2010, 07:24 AM
fyi the 28mm conti gran prix 4season measure about 26mm.

happycampyer
12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Kohlboto,

I have a set of very lightly used Pave clinchers that you are welcome to if you want to try them.

bobswire
12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm planning to put some Vittoria Paves on my Hampsten for the inclement weather riding but I was wondering, before I purchase a set, is there any other tire I should consider in the 23-25 mm range that could rival the Paves?

I ride both Vittoria Pave 24 and vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 700x25 and think both are great. If I have any complaint it is with the thin sidewalls where I've had metal debri puncture the sidewalls but that is a rare enough occurrence that I would not really factor it in, better to keep my eyes open on the road.

kohlboto
12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Kohlboto,

I have a set of very lightly used Pave clinchers that you are welcome to if you want to try them.

PM sent...

JLP
12-21-2010, 01:25 AM
I can't comment on the pave, but I will give a solid recommendation for the GP 4 Season.

A bunch of us Seattle Randonneurs are ending up on these tires. They really do seem to grip well in the wet. They come in 28mm, and they are reasonably puncture resistant.

They seem like a good compromise to me.

edward12
12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been running the Vittoria Pave 24mm clinchers since early fall and I've been very pleased with their performance. Only two punctures caused by industrial-type staples which would have punctured any tire.

Interestingly, FWIW, the Pave's actually weigh more than the Conti 25mm GP 4-Seasons (which I have on another bike).

kohlboto
12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Interestingly, FWIW, the Pave's actually weigh more than the Conti GP 4-Seasons (which I have on another bike).

I wonder why that would be the case?

Lewym
12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I run them both, the Paves in 24 on the racier bike and the 4 Seasons in 28 on my commuter. The Paves are a nicer ride and I have found them to be far more sturdy than the EVO CX. So for the non-racer, they make a great every day tire. But YMMV.

The 4 Seasons aren't the most plush tire of all time, but they are ride reasonably well and are very sturdy. A good choice for this time of year when there is a ton a crap all over the road.

Between the two, it probably comes down to width and whether you are biased toward ride quality or puncture resistance.