PDA

View Full Version : My Classified Sale - a telling story

Smiley
12-19-2010, 10:42 AM
We'll I tried as hard as I could to sell my wife's stock size 50 cm 1999 Legend Ti bike less wheels although if pressed I had a wheels set to add into the deal. Asking price was $1200 shipped.

I ended up parting out the cranks, with cassette and BB
Brifters and derailures
Brakes
Head set, extension and Ouzo Pro fork

These items netted me $410 total and then I reoffered the frame only for $780 with shipping with no takers. I have heard back from each buyer with their satisfaction with the parts they bought and I guess the point is the frame would not sell even if I lowered the price point. Its a 8.5-9 condition frameset.

No worries cause the master plan is now being executed where as the frame is off to K Bedford Customs where Kelly will shorten the TT by 0.5 cm and lengthen the head tube by 2 cm and make said head tube 1 1/8 inches and we will tweak the HTA to accomodate a Edge carbon fork with a comfortable trail. This process will also add a set of S&S couplers to the mix and my wife is digging that Bedford Robin's Egg Blue color too. All these mod's probably will return the frame at slightly under $2350.00 and she will have a new frame set.

We have carried over her Poco Bars, Saddle and seat post and we'll add some of that Ray Handle Bar Wrap as we'll I will be looking for a SRAM Rival Grouppo very soon on the classifieds as I am prepared to piece meal the parts purchase (I already have a front deraileure from aonther project)

Net dollars to the frame set will be lessened by the $410 that we could not use from her old build. In the end she will have a newish Legend Ti re-tuned to match her CDA which she used to favor over the Old Ti geometry. It's her X-Mass gift from me as she has always wanted a Ti travel bike anyway :) And never hated the Legend just preferred the CDA with SRAM over the 9 speed Ti set up too. Something for all to ponder, Recycle is not a bad thing to give back soul to an old bike :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82415&highlight=smiley

Dave Wages
12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
I wonder how many folks out there have a classic steel frame collecting dust from a crash or other damage that could be revived? I repaired lots of old Paramounts, Waterfords, and other makes and models while working at Waterford, and even a few since I started Ellis. It's always cool to breathe new life into an old frame. That, combined with the fact that most bikes end up looking nicer than they did out of the box new! It's not always the cheapest route, but as Smiley's story shows, there's always a chance for new life in that old bike.

Cheers,
Dave

rounder
12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Good luck. It sounds like a great project where everyone wins (especially your wife!). I know color choices are highly personal, but I highly recommend the K. Bedford color of blue.

Smiley
12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Good luck. It sounds like a great project where everyone wins (especially your wife!). I know color choices are highly personal, but I highly recommend the K. Bedford color of blue.

She saw your bike and loved that color so that is what we will paint her old/new Ti bike with :)

oliver1850
12-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a nice project. I prefer painted over plain Ti, and the blue looks good on rounder's bike. I have some new silver Rival bits if you are interested.

soulspinner
12-19-2010, 05:15 PM
She saw your bike and loved that color so that is what we will paint her old/new Ti bike with :)

Didnt know you could do that with Ti( re-heat etc.), post pics when done............ please

Ahneida Ride
12-19-2010, 05:44 PM
With used bike prices in the toilet, purchasers never being so parsimonious,
It make sense to upgrade an old steed.

chuckred
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I wonder how many folks out there have a classic steel frame collecting dust from a crash or other damage that could be revived? I repaired lots of old Paramounts, Waterfords, and other makes and models while working at Waterford, and even a few since I started Ellis. It's always cool to breathe new life into an old frame. That, combined with the fact that most bikes end up looking nicer than they did out of the box new! It's not always the cheapest route, but as Smiley's story shows, there's always a chance for new life in that old bike.

Cheers,
Dave

Every year at about this time I start thinking about shipping the old Paramount ('75) off to Waterford for refurbishing, or changing it to a single speed/fixie. Maybe this will be the year.

hammerdocnomo
12-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Looking forward to seeing the before and after pics.

:beer:

tv_vt
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, Smiley, I too can't wait to see the results of this overhaul. Didn't know you could do things like that with titanium. Makes me think of a steel frame that could use a taller head tube. And a Ti Merckx I have that could also use a taller headtube, and maybe go to 1-1/8, too.

One aspect that puzzles me is how KB will shorten top tube without having to shorten down tube - which could screw up where it meets the headtube, which in turn could affect how the fork fits (axle to crown length issue...). Maybe the fact that S and S couplers are going on, too, will allow that issue to be overcome.

Pete Serotta
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
:banana: :banana: Do not even think twice of using Dave Wages, David Kirk, Tom Kellogg, or many others that share their knowledge with us here.

PETE

Cheers,
Dave

Smiley
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow, Smiley, I too can't wait to see the results of this overhaul. Didn't know you could do things like that with titanium. Makes me think of a steel frame that could use a taller head tube. And a Ti Merckx I have that could also use a taller headtube, and maybe go to 1-1/8, too.

One aspect that puzzles me is how KB will shorten top tube without having to shorten down tube - which could screw up where it meets the headtube, which in turn could affect how the fork fits (axle to crown length issue...). Maybe the fact that S and S couplers are going on, too, will allow that issue to be overcome.

The S&S couplers solve all these logistical issues. Hence the reason we incorporate these in the transformation.

tv_vt
12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
OK, now you've got me curious. If one were to just swap out a headtube, either just replacing one with a slightly taller one of same OD, or going one step further and replacing a 1" with 1-1/8" and slightly taller, would you need to add the couplers, or could one do this swap w/o doing other changes?

Smiley
12-20-2010, 12:44 PM
OK, now you've got me curious. If one were to just swap out a headtube, either just replacing one with a slightly taller one of same OD, or going one step further and replacing a 1" with 1-1/8" and slightly taller, would you need to add the couplers, or could one do this swap w/o doing other changes?

You could do that but the welding around the tubes would look like crap, remember the mitering of the TT and DT to the new larger HT will be off by 1/16 of inch per side. Hence we would not do that :)

tv_vt
12-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Didn't think of that issue. Makes sense. Seems though you could replace the headtube (no change in OD) if you're just looking to add a couple of cm to height above the TT, yes?

Thx.

Thom

Smiley
12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Didn't think of that issue. Makes sense. Seems though you could replace the headtube (no change in OD) if you're just looking to add a couple of cm to height above the TT, yes?

Thx.

Thom

yes but you could buy a heads up cheaper, Ti Designs makes these too

Dekonick
12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I am excited to hear that Karen's Legend was off to KB's... that means mine should be getting chopped! :beer:

:banana: :beer: :banana:

Volant
12-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the post, Smiley. This gives me an idea for that Carl Strong I have that just hasn't sold.

Smiley
12-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the post, Smiley. This gives me an idea for that Carl Strong I have that just hasn't sold.

ur welcome and I think more folks should think about this option as its a crying shame to try and sell a LEGEND TI for crying out loud for $550 bucks. I'd rather make a wind chime out of the frame than give it away. Besides the cost to replace this same frame is $5K.

Volant
12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
ur welcome and I think more folks should think about this option as its a crying shame to try and sell a LEGEND TI for crying out loud for $550 bucks. I'd rather make a wind chime out of the frame than give it away. Besides the cost to replace this same frame is $5K.

Hmmmm....Ti wind chimes?! Now there's something for the wo/man who has everything!

BTW, you headed to NAHBS this year?