PDA

View Full Version : how to treat saddle sore for the daily commuter

etu
12-19-2010, 02:02 AM
having trouble with persistent saddle sore over past few months. no real discomfort on longer weekend rides with padded shorts and chamois butter. real irritation starts on Monday/Tuesday. 10-13 mi round trip commute with regular clothes and underwear on usually the same bike for weekend ride.

should i ride with padded shorts during the week?
try Brooks saddle?

joelh
12-19-2010, 06:32 AM
I know you wouldn't want to wear them all day, but how about the padded liners. I have a couple of pairs that came with mountain bike shorts and they are pretty good.

Peter P.
12-19-2010, 06:42 AM
The irritation is likely from your street clothes. The easy solution is to wear cycling shorts UNDER EVERYTHING and remove them/hang to dry when you get to work.

BdaGhisallo
12-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Don't mess around with it. Do what these guys are suggesting. I developed a saddle sore this summer that I didn't really heed. Ended up needing open-ass surgery to have a cyst cut out that kept me off the bike for the thick end of three months.

Don't mess around down there!

John M
12-19-2010, 08:25 AM

Yes. Until your skin heals, avoid sources of additional irritation such as cycling in regular clothes.

eddief
12-19-2010, 09:28 AM
there was a long and rambling topic about this just a while back. You need to try to understand what is causing your discomfort. I had off and on misery for over a year in the exact same spot. I thought it was a rub caused by an uncomfortable, not well fit, Brooks B17. I even went on a binge to find another non-leather saddle tor replace the 3 B17's on my bikes.

Was it ingrown hairs? Was it a saddle sore? What the hell was it? Someone here mentioned staff infections and a product called Hibiclens. Now maybe using the Hibiclens was just a coincidence with other variables, but daily application for about 10 days and all was fixed. I also applied another product that had been sitting in my cupboard forever, but sounded like it might help too - Nizoral.

http://www.hibiclens.com/

When you like to ride as much as I do and you have a "thorn" in your butt/leg every time you get on the bike, finding the solution can be a godsend.

I know this is not a pleasant topic, but if you can't sit comfortably you can't do our sport.

markie
12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I have had commutes that length and I always wore cycling clothes and then got changed at work. One time work did not have a shower so I "bird-bathed" in the sink and was careful to hit the saddle sore areas with a clean baby-wipe.

I ride everyday and don't get saddle sores.

Oh and I take my cycling shorts off when I reach my destination. I do not sit around in them.

etu
12-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for what should be obvious. Sometimes you need that extra nudge to do the right thing. :bike:
BTW I should know better since I am an "Ass" surgeon and have drained plenty of abscesses, although I have yet to treat a saddle sore. :o

swithouski
12-19-2010, 11:20 PM
So... I had been dealing with the same dilemma a couple weeks back. I just recently sold my car so I HAD to ride everyday (8 miles round trip) to work. My solution:

1. took about 1 month off from riding on the weekends (20+ miles)
2. took showers 2-3 times a day (before & after) taking a shower before riding is just as important as taking a shower after imho.
3. applied "bag balm" or antiseptic (chamois butter wont cut it) to infected area before and after commute.
4. ride out of the saddle whenever possible.

Mine was gone in about a month while still riding everyday. Good luck
Cheers

oldpotatoe
12-20-2010, 07:50 AM
So... I had been dealing with the same dilemma a couple weeks back. I just recently sold my car so I HAD to ride everyday (8 miles round trip) to work. My solution:

1. took about 1 month off from riding on the weekends (20+ miles)
2. took showers 2-3 times a day (before & after) taking a shower before riding is just as important as taking a shower after imho.
3. applied "bag balm" or antiseptic (chamois butter wont cut it) to infected area before and after commute.
4. ride out of the saddle whenever possible.

Mine was gone in about a month while still riding everyday. Good luck
Cheers

Shower, dry off, swab with rubbing alcohol, a wee bit of Dr Naylor(like bag balm but less greasy). Repeat 1-2 times a day..worked for me!

dogdriver
12-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes. Craft (and probably others) makes a padded brief that fits nicely under pants/gym shorts, etc. Not a bulky as normal bike shorts, but they'd do the trick for your issue, and you could get away with wearing them for a while at work if you have to hit the ground running. I keep a pair in my travel bag in case a hotel has a decent stationary bike and I don't want to look like too much of a geek riding it-- a little short in the legs for my taste but they work fine.

FWIW, Chris

Dekonick
12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
As an ass doc you obviously understand the importance of killing the critters before they get a chance to... well... you know...

So - I also suggest cleaning the area before you ride (and obviously wear clean gear)

I use rubbing alcohol and a wash cloth and rub over the area's to limit the source for infection.

eddief
12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
http://www.medicinenet.com/folliculitis/page5.htm

Way way TMI:

http://axetheacne.com/folliculitis-buttocks-breakouts.php

rugbysecondrow
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for what should be obvious. Sometimes you need that extra nudge to do the right thing. :bike:
BTW I should know better since I am an "Ass" surgeon and have drained plenty of abscesses, although I have yet to treat a saddle sore. :o

So, you ARE the ASSMAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujqM2u-BVo

Not the Slowest
12-20-2010, 01:15 PM
So, you ARE the ASSMAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujqM2u-BVo

Okay, I am not aan ASS Doctor, but lose those cotton briefs or boxers. Cotton does not wick but rather absorbs moisture like a sponge.

As suggested try any or all of the following:
A) Padded Cycling shorts (okay you knew that)
B) Padded Cycling briefs
C) Baby wipes to clean your bum at work
D) Clean pair of underwear to put on at work

Most important, the wound must be handled so infection is avoided. I do believe that you "may" developed have a very small pimple or a hair folicle that has become irritated.

Good luck, I mean it

Rob

gasman
12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Etu-

Just wear bike shorts under your clothes then change into clean underwear at work. i do this daily but I do get to change into scrubs at work. i have a commute about the same length every day and haven't had a problem.

etu
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
rode with bike shorts today.
a little bit more of a hassle, but definitely feels better. :D
going try the padded briefs also.

dawgie
12-21-2010, 12:24 PM
First, you should be wearing cycling shorts and washing after ride. That will prevent most of the problems. Second, use chamois butter or similar product. Finally, if a sore starts to develop, dab some Corticaid or similar cortisone creme on it -- that works every time for me. Probably not recommended for racers who get tested, tho.

old fat man
12-21-2010, 01:44 PM
my wife had some special ointment for sores that came from breast feeding early on. it was a prescription "cocktail" that she mixed per the doctor's orders. i used that this summer on some persistent sores and it cured me within 48 hours.

also, i never ride my 13 mile commute without bike shorts. lastly, if i did not work up a sweat or cannot make time for a shower, i at least use a baby wipe to clean up.