PDA

View Full Version : OT - Cross country skiing - online?

Clydesdale
12-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know if there is a serotta forum type place out there for cc skiers? I have looked a little and not found much. I would love to find a place like this to talk ski technique, gear, destinations, etc. Anyone know one?

Thanks.

KVN
12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
try: http://www.xcskiforum.com/

For a ski forum, there's a lot of bike chat as well.

beungood
12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
I was looking for a place like this too! Tried it last year with a cycling buddy and got hooked. I think it went a long way in keeping me fit and making it easy to hold on to some of my fitness.

Im thinking of some Back country skis on the skinnier side to allow me to use the State Parks but also allow me to go to XC ski centers.

daylate$short
12-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Another one to try: NordicSkiRacer (http://http://www.nordicskiracer.com/)

oliver1850
12-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm totally ignorant about cc skiing. Would this path be suitable? We have about 90 miles of this canal trail in NW Illinois. The bank opposite from the bike path is grass that has been mowed in summer, at least in some sections. I would think snow conditions would be pretty good right now.

tour guide available :fight:

KVN
12-17-2010, 07:54 AM
That trail would totally work Oliver. Is that the Prairie Path? I'm going to hit up the Des Plaines River Path this weekend. It's a little more varied than your standard rail-to-trail

Karin Kirk
12-17-2010, 09:10 AM
The trail would definitely need some snow first. :rolleyes:
If it's a popular place, it may be all full of footprints and dog tracks, which makes for unrewarding skiing.

Golf courses generally make for nice skiing (so long as it's allowed). They have a nice type of open, rolling terrain that is a natural fit.

oliver1850
12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
It's the Hennepin Canal Parkway; in Bureau, Henry, and Whiteside Counties.

Yes there's snow. Just got 2-5" of dry light snow yesterday on top of what was already there.

I doubt anyone's been on 98% since it got cold. There's a little more elevation change in the eastern section where there are a lot more locks, but it's still pretty flat.

Karin Kirk
12-17-2010, 10:23 AM
That sounds nice :)
Go have a ski and let us know how it went!

endosch2
12-17-2010, 10:39 AM
www.fasterskier.com

It is the more hardcore world cup / race crowd. It covers the elite level of skiing but you can learn a lot from it.

Skiing is a great way to stay in shape over the winter - although it is hard for beginners it is well worth learning.

2ndproyer
12-17-2010, 01:15 PM
skinnyski.com has some good helpful areas as well, trails, gear, etc. good luck!

we have 2 feet of snow in MN so I might as well get the skis waxed up!

christian
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Im thinking of some Back country skis on the skinnier side to allow me to use the State Parks but also allow me to go to XC ski centers.I found some '91 Karhu XCD GTs on Craigslist for $10 earlier this year in basically new condition, with Rottefellas. Stuck on some Asolo Snowfield boots and was executing telemark turns in my front yard last weekend. Skinny, double-camber skis and leather boots are so fun!

endosch2
12-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I was looking for a place like this too! Tried it last year with a cycling buddy and got hooked. I think it went a long way in keeping me fit and making it easy to hold on to some of my fitness.

Im thinking of some Back country skis on the skinnier side to allow me to use the State Parks but also allow me to go to XC ski centers.

The best thing to get might be a set of good light waxless classic skiis like fischer RCR crown. They can be used off trail or making your own tracks or you can use them on groomed tracks at ski centers.

The vast majority of cross country skiis sold by you average downhill ski shop are such crap you are guaranteed tp be forever hating it. I worked at a nordic ski area and so many people would show up with skiis that behave like giant long snowshoes - no flex, no glide, super wide and short, etc. Go to a shop that has reputation for nordic and can get you on the right flex skiis for your weight. 3 Pin bindlings have been out of use for something like 30 years in the nordic race world, but hey there are retro grouch skiiers too who like their colleagues in cycling want to turn the clock back. Get a decent set of skiis and and boots you will get so much more out of it.

christian
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
good light waxless classic skiis
Teehee, you said "good" and "waxless" in the same sentence. Except for right around freezing, I've found waxless skis to be inferior to waxable skis in every way. Besides, for touring, you only need 4 basic waxes. Also waxless skis always sound like you're being pursued by a portly man wearing corduroy trousers. Definitely to be avoided!

3 Pin bindlings have been out of use for something like 30 years in the nordic race world, but hey there are retro grouch skiiers too who like their colleagues in cycling want to turn the clock back.I agree that system boots and bindings are nicer than three-pins for all but hard-core backcountry XC, and promote a nicer stride and glide. For a cross-Pemi traverse or a tour from Nikkaluokta to Keb, I prefer norwegian rat-traps, but for the local golf course, system bindings rule.

endosch2
12-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Teehee, you said "good" and "waxless" in the same sentence. Except for right around freezing, I've found waxless skis to be inferior to waxable skis in every way. Besides, for touring, you only need 4 basic waxes. Also waxless skis always sound like you're being pursued by a portly man wearing corduroy trousers. Definitely to be avoided!

I agree that system boots and bindings are nicer than three-pins for all but hard-core backcountry XC, and promote a nicer stride and glide. For a cross-Pemi traverse or a tour from Nikkaluokta to Keb, I prefer norwegian rat-traps, but for the local golf course, system bindings rule.

I guess I was assuming that the OP is a complete beginner and that all else being equal you can get a decent performace without any wax weenie hassle from the skis I mentioned. I have something like 15 pair of skate and classic skiis, and a lot of different wax experience, I know it is lightyears different from fishscales, but for a complete beginner you cant go wrong with the Fischer RCRs I mentioned. I have a set of waxless skiis I use for out the back door skiing as well as lessons, goofing around, etc - they are fine.

christian
12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Fair enough. If we're talking bashing about for 5km out the back door, waxless skis are ok. For longer distances and higher speeds, they just seem to rob me of some of the joy of kick and glide.

FWIW, I just agreed with a friend to do Vasaloppet 2012. Uh oh.

oliver1850
12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
just thought Karen might like to see what the path looked like with snow. From my ride today. 4-6" more snow expected tomorrow.

In the first picture, where the canal looks to narrow in the distance is actually an aquaduct. The canal passes over a natural stream.

The third picture is several miles north of the first 2. This is actually a totally different canal. It brings water down from the Rock River to the center of the main canal. The water then flows both east and west from that point, downhill in both directions. East it flows into the Illinois River, west into the very end of the Rock, where it flows into the Mississippi. This canal allowed a direct water route from Chicago to the Mississippi. Designed so long before construction could be completed, it was outdated by the time it was finished. Continued to have some barge traffic through the 40s, but wasn't maintained after that. The state made it a park around 1980 (I'm guessing at the date).

endosch2
12-24-2010, 05:57 AM
That looks like a great place to ski.

Karin Kirk
12-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the photos! That looks ideal. Are you going to give it a try soon, or have you already? The snow looks really nice. :)

spiderman
12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm totally ignorant about cc skiing. Would this path be suitable?

tour guide available :fight:

as it turns out
i'm totally ignorant about cc skiing, too.
i thought you could ski anywhere there was snow...
looks like i might need to re-evaluate that thought