PDA

View Full Version : DT Swiss Tensiometer?

DRZRM
12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I just got my Park TS-2 truing stand and was planning on getting a Park tension meter as I begin to upkeep and eventually build my own wheels in my basement shop (by basement shop I mean the place I work on my bikes, not shop in any professional meaning, I'm not going pro). I came across a very good deal on a NIB DT Swiss Tensiometer (not quite the cost of the Park, but in the ballpark). Seems like a no-brainer, but I wanted to check with this knowledgeable group. Is there any drawback to this tensiometer? Super delicate? Need constant recalibration? Are there a bunch of counterfeits? I know these are popular shop tools, any critiques?

oldpotatoe
12-16-2010, 08:11 AM
I just got my Park TS-2 truing stand and was planning on getting a Park tension meter as I begin to upkeep and eventually build my own wheels in my basement shop. I came across a very good deal on a NIB DT Swiss Tensiometer (not quite the cost of the Park, but in the ballpark). Seems like a no-brainer, but I wanted to check with this knowledgeable group. Is there any drawback to this tensiometer? Super delicate? Need constant recalibration? Are there a bunch of counterfeits? I know these are popular shop tools, any critiques?

I have one(dial type) as does my employee. VERY nice piece of gear. If ya drop it, it will need calibration. DT in Grand Junction does it. Very consistent, make sure it comes with the chart. Keep it in the box when not using it(comes with the box?). Normally about $400 when new, dial one.

DRZRM
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Yup, comes with box and paperwork. He claims brand new never used, and it is the dial type, not digital. Any quick and easy way to check calibration before paying for it?

oldpotatoe
12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Yup, comes with box and paperwork. He claims brand new never used, and it is the dial type, not digital. Any quick and easy way to check calibration before paying for it?

Not really except the needle should be pointed at 12 oclock on the dial with no pressure on the arms..when it's at 'rest'.

You said in the vicinity of the Park one for price. Park one is really inexpensive...sounds like a great deal. Get this...then start a wheelbuilding biz..If I could, all I would do is build wheels(and work on only Campagnolo).....

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelsmith-Spoke-Length-System-calculator/dp/B001GSORZE

DRZRM
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Cool, thanks.

12-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Actually, you can adjust the tensiometer so the needle lands on the zero. It's very easy and can always be readjusted as needed. Don't worry about calibrating it as long as it isn't really damaged when you receive it.

Don't drop it. You can do worse than need realignment. The parts are all fixable by DT, but it can be expensive.