PDA

View Full Version : Jesus H. Christmas.....Vail Accident/Hearing Update

echelon_john
12-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Now the DA is trying to block the victim from attending the hearing!? This guy needs to get his hands out of somebody's pockets. I am moved to anger bordering on violence by this case.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/news/district-attorney-seeks-to-bar-vail-victims-testimony-in-plea-hearing_153108

Spinner
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
... ever end?

chuckred
12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Oh brother... with that kind of logic, I'm surprised ERzinger's attorney hasn't suggested suing Milo for damages to the Benz.

Satellite
12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Now the DA is trying to block the victim from attending the hearing!? This guy needs to get his hands out of somebody's pockets. I am moved to anger bordering on violence by this case.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/news/district-attorney-seeks-to-bar-vail-victims-testimony-in-plea-hearing_153108
Ridiculous Out-Gassing of the new car smell, this guy deserves to be locked up for a long long time. The victim just keeps getting victimized.

ultraman6970
12-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Wonder if Mercedez will add something because that means bad news for them after all. I even wonder if mercedez germany knows this stupid argument.

This is just nutz, besides us as public opinion, this thing needs to be in national news, once in there as a special report they wont be able to do nothing else than suck it up because there is nothing else to hide.

Where is the american justice system? nowhere? I'm really touched by this because one g/f died in a silly accident like that and nobody could find who ran over her 20 years ago. This two guys really need to be sh@@t in the head or cut their balls off so their genes get lost forever from the human race genome. Jezz... :/

Wonder if there is a team of attorneys that are cyclist also to help this fellow cyclist for free, because a case like this could be good for everybody.

:/

thwart
12-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I am moved to anger bordering on violence by this case. I'm not far behind you...

Mid-day hit and run accident severely injuring a cyclist, after which the perpetrator pulls well out of public eye behind an abandoned Pizza Hut down the road to call Mercedes about getting his car fixed. Cops still find and nab him.

And the DA says that a felony conviction would adversely affect his extremely well-paid position managing multi-millionaire's money, so files for a misdemeanor instead.

Now he says he has sleep apnea and that the toxic fumes from the interior of his new M-B played some role as well...

Right.

Think I'd like to... :bike:

pbjbike
12-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I sure hope Dr. Milo pursues this further in civil court.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2010, 06:08 PM
... ever end?

I think this idiot would have done the same thing if he hit a pedestrian. I don't think this is cycling specific.

My employee just got interviewed by local Channel 4..as a cyclist who has been hit by an drunk driver, like I was also in 2002(by a woman who fell asleep at 10am on a Saturday morning, up all night in Blackhawk, gambling).

Really weird but he gets his day in court tomorrow..hope he gets hammered, sent to trial for a felony and have his professional liars talk for him.

Ahneida Ride
12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
If you gots the frns ..... you got the power ...

I am sure the defendant has the frns.

We have the absolute BEST politicians and courts that money can buy.

When Dr. Ryan was also executed here, the DA here not take the
case to court. :crap:

Until cyclists get better organized .... well what can I say ????

This is sickening ....

avalonracing
12-15-2010, 06:38 PM
There are A LOT of cyclists. Generally we are very motivated people. Likewise, we can be organized. Surely something can be done on a MASS scale to give the people/companies involved a VERY serious PR headache.

Thoughts?

climbgdh
12-15-2010, 06:41 PM
This is just eff'n ridiculous... How could this guy even live with himself.

"new car smell".... what a load of sh&t..... in my mind the defense attorneys are almost as bad as the perp. they should be hung out to dry for ever being able to present this as a defense. absolutely sickening.

climbgdh
12-15-2010, 06:43 PM
There are A LOT of cyclists. Generally we are very motivated people. Likewise, we can be organized. Surely something can be done on a MASS scale to give the people/companies involved a VERY serious PR headache.

Thoughts?

I don't have any ideas but I'd definitely be willing to drive or fly down to CO all the way from Vancouver to take part in anything that might be organized. I'm a pretty calm & collected person but this has REALLY absolutely sickened me to the max.

Ahneida Ride
12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
"When Erzinger was first approached by Avon police in the Pizza Hut parking lot, he was on the phone with Mercedes and was placing damaged portions of his car into the trunk."

Yea, he parked BEHIND the Pizza Hut cause he had to take a wiz ....

People do exist that have no conscience.

"New Car" smell made him go to sleep .....
You gotta be kidding me.

I say give him 10 minutes with Uncle William.

ultraman6970
12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Wonder if some .org here in DC can be interested on this case and help for free.

Straz
12-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I read the Velonews article and felt sick to my stomach.

Then I saw this NYTimes article: New Car Smell Blamed in Hit-and-Run (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/new-car-smell-blamed-in-hit-and-run/?hpw) about the same case and was floored!

Who is looking out for the victim?

Tim

avalonracing
12-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Any PR people here with ideas?

This ???? shouldn't stand. There have been a few notable hit and run murders this year (we had one here in MD) where the driver has gotten of the hook.

DogpawSlim
12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/11/news/the-explainer-is-having-a-mercedes-an-affirmative-defense_149196

This article is even more shocking. Prosecutorial discretion gone so very wrong. You have to wonder what the DA's beef is when you add in the Leadville 100 "identity theft" element.

djg
12-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Wonder if there is a team of attorneys that are cyclist also to help this fellow cyclist for free, because a case like this could be good for everybody.

:/

This is a horrendous story, but I'm not sure what there is to do on behalf of the cyclist. He's an anesthesiologist who seems able to hire his own representation, and is trying to press some sort of claim under Colorado law to be heard with respect to the plea agreement. He seems able to pursue civil claims as well. I hope that he heals; I hope that he gets compensated; and I hope he gets some justice. But I'm not sure he needs pro bono representation.

I don't know anything about the facts, but for several news articles. Based on those, the defense story seems preposterous on its face. Fell asleep at the wheel? That happens, I reckon, not that it makes everything or anything o.k., except in the extremely limited sense that maybe the collision was not intended. Sleep apnea makes for crummy sleep, which can lead people to be very tired, and various health problems, but it doesn't cause people to fall asleep instantly, and without warning, and it doesn't remove one's responsibility to get off the damn road before passing out when one is sleepy. Veered out of his lane onto the shoulder, then hit a cyclist, and then proceeded off the roadway, and and came to a stop, and only then woke up? Broken mirror, badly damaged bumper, but he doesn't look around, just proceeds down the road to a pizza hut, pulls around the side, calls Mercedes, starts to put the broken bits of his car into the trunk as the police arrive, and then starts to provide various conflicting stories about calling 911, etc. But he "knew" (wrong) that he didn't hit anybody or any personal property, even though he never looked around at the scene of the accident and, presumably, never identified what caused the damage to his car? It just gets more and more dubious, even before we get to the out-gassing horse ????.

echelon_john
12-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Who is looking out for the victim? IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE DA!!!! AT LEAST IN A CASE LIKE THIS where criminal laws (Hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident) so clearly apply.

As much vitriol as I feel for the defendant, and as abhorrent as his actions appear to have been, THE DA IS THE ONE WHOSE ACTIONS THUS FAR HAVE SEEMED THE MOST QUESTIONABLE. The defendant is a wealthy person whose continued livelihood is dependent on this going away as quietly as possible. The DA, on the other hand, is clearly motivated in this case by something other than even-handed justice or defending the public.

Tomorrow's hearing will tell a lot. As of now the DA seems firmly in the grip of the money/influence behind the defendant, to the laughably obvious detriment of the victim and JUSTICE under the law.

Maybe St. Lance could opine and bring some of his influence in CO to bear?

Fark this is frustrating.

JC

I read the Velonews article and felt sick to my stomach.

Then I saw this NYTimes article: New Car Smell Blamed in Hit-and-Run (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/new-car-smell-blamed-in-hit-and-run/?hpw) about the same case and was floored!

Who is looking out for the victim?

Tim

Dekonick
12-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Anyone know email contacts for this punk? I will gladly send email to CO's Senators, delegates, mayors, etc - I just don't know where to start to make sure to get the right folks.

Any help appreciated - and perhaps we can make it sticky? Someone want to post the same across the hall too?

Phone numbers...

Email addresses...

Snail mail addresses...

Local media contact info...

lets flood them!

pbjbike
12-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Excellent Idea!

Below is contact info for the various players. Messages/emails with the names of the players, Milo and Erzinger, in the VM message or header would be good. July 3, 2010 was the date of the hit and run.

Thanks for getting behind this! :beer:

Eagle County District Attorney's Office: (970) 328-6947

Perp's email: martin.j.erzinger@morganstanleypwm.com

U.S. Attorney for Colorado, John Walsh: (303) 454-0100

U.S Representative Jared Polis: (202) 225-2161

Senator Mark Udall: 202-224-5941
http://markudall.senate.gov/?p=contact_us

Senator Michael Bennett: (202) 224-5852
http://bennet.senate.gov/contact/

Don Rogers, Editor/Publisher of the Vail Daily: drogers@vaildaily.com
(970) 748-2920

The Eagle County Times looks like a good place to post, but contact info is lean:
Staff@EagleCounty Times.com

Anyone know email contacts for this punk? I will gladly send email to CO's Senators, delegates, mayors, etc - I just don't know where to start to make sure to get the right folks.

Any help appreciated - and perhaps we can make it sticky? Someone want to post the same across the hall too?

Phone numbers...

Email addresses...

Snail mail addresses...

Local media contact info...

lets flood them!

PaulE
12-15-2010, 09:42 PM
But why does the NY Times article say the victim was riding his bike at night when he was hit, while all of the police pictures accompanying the VeloNews article were clearly taken during daylight. Would the police actually wait until the following day to investigate and take pictures? This is the first time that I've read anything on this story saying the accident happened at night. If that is accurate, I hope it does not work against the victim.

NY Times (http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/new-car-smell-blamed-in-hit-and-run/)

But does “new car smell” have a dark side? More specifically, is it intoxicating?

That appears likely to be an element of the defense of a Colorado driver charged in a nighttime hit-and-run accident, according to court documents filed this week, The Vail Daily News reports. The driver, Martin Joel Erzinger, a financial manager, allegedly fled the scene of a crash with a cyclist in July.

pbjbike
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
1:30 p.m. is when the travesty occurred. The NYT blogger needs a fact checker.

BobbyJones
12-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Can you imagine if the victim was a person with little or no financial means? You'd never even know this happened.

I hate to say it, but opposition to the DA's action in this case will probably get no further than people posting on blogs and emailing back and forth.

That'll show 'em!

nahtnoj
12-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Thoughts?

Denial of service attack?

54ny77
12-15-2010, 11:32 PM
martin.j.erzinger@morganstanleypwm.com

mediainquiries@morganstanley.com

fistname.lastname@morganstanley.com

James P. Gorman / President and Chief Executive Officer
Frank Barron / Chief Legal Officer
Walid Chammah / Chairman and CEO, Morgan Stanley International
Kenneth M. deRegt / Chief Risk Officer
Greg Fleming / President of Investment Management and Global Research
Charles Johnston / President, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
Colm Kelleher / Co-President, Institutional Securities
Gary G. Lynch / Vice Chairman
Thomas Nides / Chief Operating Officer
Ruth Porat / Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President
Jim Rosenthal / Chief Operating Officer, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney; and Head of Corporate Strategy, Morgan Stanley
Paul J. Taubman / Co-President, Institutional Securities

William
12-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Ahneida Ride,

My pleasure. :butt:

William

soulspinner
12-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Nothing has happened to deny the injured party anything yet. Anyone can try anything in a courtroom. Hopefully the plea agreement will not be accepted. The defendant already lied, (no record of his 911 call ) so his veracity is open to doubt every time he opens his mouth or his attorney does. Lets hope the judge doesnt have a portfolio with his company :no:

That being said, if he gets the plea deal, Im on board to make his life miserable and will keep the info above-my wife the trial lawyer says rich people dont usually go to jail-we will see.

rugbysecondrow
12-16-2010, 07:00 AM
There are so many moving parts, press releases etc to follow that it is hard for a layperson (myself) to know what is BS and what is something that is legally substantive.

I also don't know what is a good plea vs. the likilhood of a trial being successful. It seems that WE (a community of riders) think the driver is not only guilty, but malicious and without remorse, but I am not certain if a jury would convict. It doesn't change the fact that it seems the driver is not getting the full court press. In my perspective, if a driver did hit a cyclist, pulled over, called the authorities, tried to assist the victim and treated the accident like a mistake and took ownership of it, I know my view would be different. What I don't understand is how somebody would have so little remorse that they would be more concerned about the damage to the car than the person on the side of the road. IMO, a person like this deserves no empathy or slack. Somebody like this deserves to have the full weight of the system hammer him into the F*&^^% ground.

veloduffer
12-16-2010, 07:05 AM
I also don't know what is a good plea vs. the likilhood of a trial being successful. It seems that WE (a community of riders) think the driver is not only guilty, but malicious and without remorse, but I am not certain if a jury would convict. It doesn't change the fact that it seems the driver is not getting the full court press. In my perspective, if a driver did hit a cyclist, pulled over, called the authorities, tried to assist the victim and treated the accident like a mistake and took ownership of it, I know my view would be different. What I don't understand is how somebody would have so little remorse that they would be more concerned about the damage to the car than the person on the side of the road.

There's a technical term for it "WEASEL!"

echelon_john
12-16-2010, 07:06 AM
absolutely! accidents happen, and behaving like a decent human being would have kept this from escalating as it has. decent human beings don't stash their car behind a pizza hut after hitting someone.

In my perspective, if a driver did hit a cyclist, pulled over, called the authorities, tried to assist the victim and treated the accident like a mistake and took ownership of it, I know my view would be different.

ultraman6970
12-16-2010, 07:15 AM
There is a web page where u can right an email to OBAMA himself, doubt the man hiself will read it but if everybody sends concerns about the same problem this might wake up something at the gvmt side, after all Obama praise fairness and it could be important at least to let them know how we feel as community.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/

flickwet
12-16-2010, 09:23 AM
"love to ride, looking forward to catching up with you on the bike sometime"

Ralph
12-16-2010, 10:03 AM
absolutely! accidents happen, and behaving like a decent human being would have kept this from escalating as it has. decent human beings don't stash their car behind a pizza hut after hitting someone.

That's really what this is about....right? Accidents do happen. This is about what happened after the accident.

torquer
12-16-2010, 10:31 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/11/news/the-explainer-is-having-a-mercedes-an-affirmative-defense_149196

This article is even more shocking. Prosecutorial discretion gone so very wrong. You have to wonder what the DA's beef is when you add in the Leadville 100 "identity theft" element.
You hit the nail on the head: once we get past the driver's actions, what sets us all off is the apparent unrestrained power of the DA to define the charges (and hence the range of potential punishment).
We pride ourselves in being a "nation of laws," and the equal application of those laws is central to our system of justice; at least that's the theory. But prosecutorial discretion, whether in this case, your run-of-the-mill barroom dispute or homeland security scare, often mocks that ideal. You can't automate justice, of course; you'll always need humans to apply the laws. But the unrestrained, arbitrary (or corrupt) power wielded by DAs is the real scandal here.

drewski
12-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I think organizing a movement to BOYCOTT VAIL as convention and destination spot could get the D.A. there in the hot seat. This would really hurt them in big way from a P.R. standpoint. Money is the only thing
people seem to understand these days. Forget about trying to appeal
to people's sense of common decency

If anyone else is willing to participate I can start with a letter to
them to express the deep outrage that exists amongst cyclists
with regard to this situation.

The name of the organization could be VELO AUDIX OF AMERICA.
AUDIX is latin for audacious.

If anyone wants to participate hit me with private message.
Posting some thing in bike shops to let other know might be good as well.
Basically this would involve posting a sign in your lobby of your
workplace detailing what has happened. From that point
we could mobilize a large email campaign to bring this
miscarriage of justice to the attention of people who are outside of
the cycling universe. After all there are lots of other places to ski
in Colorado.

Andrew

gdw
12-16-2010, 11:05 AM
No offense but the impact on Vail would be minimal. Cyclists are a very small percentage of the population and those who are aware of this incident even smaller. Your time would be better spent writing to the drivers employers.

drewski
12-16-2010, 11:11 AM
No offense but the impact on Vail would be minimal. Cyclists are a very small percentage of the population and those who are aware of this incident even smaller. Your time would be better spent writing to the drivers employers.

Impact on cyclists minimal yes. Impact on Vail if they lose a few conventions
= BIG.

gdw
12-16-2010, 11:39 AM
"Impact on cyclists minimal yes. Impact on Vail if they lose a few conventions
= BIG."

Not quite. Vail's a DESTINATION ski town for the wealthy and doesn't host many conventions especially now that the economy is weak. Letters will be more effective.

54ny77
12-16-2010, 11:46 AM
this sounds like a job for....

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/The_Equalizer_.jpg

djg
12-16-2010, 11:47 AM
That's really what this is about....right? Accidents do happen. This is about what happened after the accident.

Maybe that's it, or mostly it. Recently, I was in a collision with a car (much less serious -- under much different circumstances) which seemed to me to be an accident.

In the Colorado thing, however, we have a question whether the driver was impaired. The outgassing seats bit sounds like a complete crock, but there's a claim by the driver -- maybe true -- that he fell asleep. If so, it raises the question why he didn't get off the road before he fell asleep. Driving while exhausted -- whether due to sleep apnea or any other reason -- and after starting to nod off is not unique behavior but it's not just accidental -- not just one of those things that could happen to anybody. It reflects a decision, or series of decisions, to do something dangerous on a public roadway. That's something that seems culpable to me (I'm not talking about Colorado law here, about which I have no expertise, just a basic sense of responsibility). There still are issues about what was done or not done after the collision, but this is stuff that happened before the collision.

Of course it may be false that he was asleep at the time of the collision, in which case we might ask quite a few different questions.

drewski
12-16-2010, 12:22 PM

The DA in the case Mark Hulbert is running for State Senate.
Just what the state needs another douche in the Senate.

drewski
12-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Here is Mark Hurlberts facebook page if you feel moved to send him a note.
I just left him a voice mail at work as well.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000656513279

1happygirl
12-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for alerting me to this case Serotta Forum. It disgusts me. I'm all enraged now as it is a symptom of society now where people are out of touch with what is right. It is all about me and what will advance my personal (insert anything about yourself here , wealth, status, future) etc. The DA is the real criminal here. People will only do what you allow them to get away with. I hope people campaign against him for office.

Who is the DA's opponent for Senate? I'd like to support him or her.

rugbysecondrow
12-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Here is Mark Hurlberts facebook page if you feel moved to send him a note.
I just left him a voice mail at work as well.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000656513279

For those emailing and calling to voice their concerns, I would say that you be as polite and as professional as possible. It will go further than being juvenile, not that I think you specifically are being anything but professional, but just saying.

Charles M
12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
let the civil suite begin...

flickwet
12-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Oh boy oh boy was I pissed about this this morning. Then I read a post about single speeds, responded with an enlightening rejoinder, and felt much better.
I would love to buy Erzinger a classic Silca frame pump...and ram it down his evil throat...oops there I go again, back to the other thread for some R&R

Bud_E
12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
let the civil suite begin...

A team of highly paid shysters is already working on the "apnea" defense and judgment-proofing.

slowgoing
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
He probably has an unbrella policy for $1-5 million that will still be on the table and will pay first. Not that that is enough to pay the bicylist for his injuries and loss of income.

And if he knew he had apnea and loss of attention, he shouldn't have been driving in the first place. Besides, isn't apnea more commonly referred to as "sleep apnea?" Is he admitting that he was asleep at the wheel? That doesn't sound like a good defense.

And I'm not sure I'd like my money manager to experience temporarly losses of consiousness or awareness either.

PaulE
12-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks like the defendant got off (http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/news/colorado-judge-oks-controversial-plea-deal-in-vail-hit-and-run_153281) pretty easy.

I'm not a doctor or a lawyer, but I thought narcolepsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy) was when someone falls asleep suddenly and unexpectedly, and sleep apnea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea) was when someone stopped breathing while they were asleep, while apnea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apnea) is someone not breathing while conscious.

Now that the defendant knows he has this "condition", is he going to stop driving until it is "cured"?

Hopefully the victim and his legal team will punch major holes in this theory during the civil suite.

flickwet
12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
The boycott of stage 3 is gainig ground, there is now a face book page and ALOT of anger out there

gdw
12-17-2010, 11:07 PM
"The boycott of stage 3 is gainig ground, there is now a face book page and ALOT of anger out there"

Please do a little research before joining the lynch mob. The idiot DA represents a district made up of 4 counties and not just Vail. All the reports I've seen indicate that the local police did their job and played no role in the DA's decision. Don't you think that it might be better to target the DA and driver as opposed to the town where the accident occured?

flickwet
12-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Check out the Velonews website comments, that way I don't have to repeat everything that's been said better than I could, FWIW I know Hurlburt is the DA for Vail, Breckenridge, Wolcott, Eagle County etc. I know it didn't happen in Vail, but its the establishment out there that condones douchebag Hurlburts actions by allowing him to continue to occupy a position of influence. Hopefully they would put some un pleasant pressure on him in some matter.

gdw
12-18-2010, 10:11 AM
"I know it didn't happen in Vail, but its the establishment out there that condones douchebag Hurlburts actions by allowing him to continue to occupy a position of influence. Hopefully they would put some un pleasant pressure on him in some matter."

Total BS. Once again, Vail played no role in the incident and the town's residents are not condoning Hurlburts actions. As to the comments on Velonews website, many are the typical angry whiny uninformed crap that we see whenever an accident involving a cyclist gets published. Here's part of one you probably overlooked but should read.

"Thank you for sharing your concerns with us about the Martin Joel Erzinger case.
There seems to be some confusion about the incident. While it would be inappropriate for us to offer an opinion on the District Attorney’s handling of this particular matter. The incident didn't take place in Vail, it happened in the Edwards / Wolcott area about 20 miles west of Vail. The District Attorney is located in Breckenridge about an hour to the east of Vail in Summit County. This is the link to the DA website http://www.da5.us/index.html should you like to reach out to them directly. The district attorney covers a multi county jurisdiction.
The cycling community should know that Vail is committed to providing the best cycling Colorado has to offer. Vail has spent hundreds of thousands of ongoing investments to expand the shoulders of our roadways to improve cycling safety and expansion of our recreation paths throughout the county. This also includes the bringing of the Quiznos Pro Challenge to our area. You can read about it at these links:
http://www.medalistsports.com/...
http://velonews.competitor.com...
I feel comments about Vail being unfriendly or caring of cyclists is not justified.
We work directly with major names in the industry IE: Chris Carmichael to have programs and camps in Vail. http://blog.visitvailvalley.co...
My hope is to have you understand that Vail is a recreational area and that we are concerned about the safety and enjoyment of those that come to our area.
Rich tenBraak
Executive Director
Vail Chamber & Business Association "

BumbleBeeDave
12-18-2010, 04:57 PM
. . . is to remember this and make sure that if Hurlburt runs for anything else at any time in the future that his opponent/s know all about it. They will do the rest.

As for Erzinger, the best thing they could do would be to make sure that felony charge is on his legal record as a broker, then find out exactly which fund he manages, then find out as much as they can about who has funds in it, then make sure and let those people know on the QT about the character--or lack of it--of Mr. Erzinger.

BBD

pbjbike
12-18-2010, 08:25 PM
+1 on BBD's and gdw's comments. Well said.

If you want to do something, please support efforts focused in the appropriate direction in this case, not towards the peripheral community.

pbjbike
12-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Maybe I missed this in a previous article. Milo's father-in-law is a money manager and has known Erzinger for years:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16914815

gemship
12-24-2010, 07:21 AM
yeah but a misdemeanor is not a felony :rolleyes:

omc53
12-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Boycotting Vail at a major cycling event is not the right answer. If anything, a massive turnout of cyclists and fans can demonstrate a need for change in the leadership and attitude of Eagle county and their DA. Perfect opportunity to send a clear message to the DA's office, from a large cycling community that what happened is not acceptable on any grounds. A stage race like this can present a perfect situation to bring this issue in front of the media. Don't boycott the race, use it bring pressure and public awareness to a lack of justice in this case.
To Vail's credit they are a very progressive and cycling friendly community.
Take it to the bank that many citizens and civic leaders in the Vail and the four counties that are under his watch want him gone.

slowandsteady
12-24-2010, 07:47 AM
. . . is to remember this and make sure that if Hurlburt runs for anything else at any time in the future that his opponent/s know all about it. They will do the rest.

As for Erzinger, the best thing they could do would be to make sure that felony charge is on his legal record as a broker, then find out exactly which fund he manages, then find out as much as they can about who has funds in it, then make sure and let those people know on the QT about the character--or lack of it--of Mr. Erzinger.

BBD

+100

Dekonick
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Please - do one simple act. Click on the Denver Post links - it adds traffic and that makes the issue pop on the radar. Gotta keep these d0uc# bags in the news.

BengeBoy
12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe I missed this in a previous article. Milo's father-in-law is a money manager and has known Erzinger for years:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16914815

I hadn't known about the Tom Marsico connection. He is a very big deal in the money management world -- a much bigger deal than the "money manager" who was driving the Mercedes.

soulspinner
12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
I hadn't known about the Tom Marsico connection. He is a very big deal in the money management world -- a much bigger deal than the "money manager" who was driving the Mercedes.

Ahhh, now I get it................ :crap:

drewski
12-27-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/article/hit-and-run-driver-walks-but-should-cyclists-boycott-vail-28784

mpetry
12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
If you go to Brokercheck.finra.org and search for Erzinger, do a "detailed report" there is a summary of the bike accident (criminal - felony - leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury - etc etc) showing in the FINRA reort.

My suspicion is that he'll be facing some headwinds in 2011. Deservedly so.

http://petry.org/pics/Vailhit.jpg

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

TMB
12-27-2010, 04:37 PM
If you go to Brokercheck.finra.org and search for Erzinger, do a "detailed report" there is a summary of the bike accident (criminal - felony - leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury - etc etc) showing in the FINRA reort.

My suspicion is that he'll be facing some headwinds in 2011. Deservedly so.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Someone should keep a PDF of that report, before it changes.

flickwet
12-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Any cyclist who visits anyplace under the jurisdiction of Hulbert simply supports the DA's opinions and places their own well being in jeopardy, there are other places to go and it would really send a message to all areas continuing to allow Hulbert to remain in office that we will not be subject to his form of persecution

54ny77
12-29-2010, 09:04 AM
the rest of the country can say what they will (and personally i think it's a miscarriage of justice and that the da should be removed from office and erzinger in jail), but.....

....it's a local issue. what does the local citizenry say about it? they're the ones who elected the guy to office.

Vancouverdave
12-29-2010, 09:11 AM

Does Colorado have any "victims' rights" organizations who might be interested observers of this case?

torquer
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
This story finally made it to the business page of the NYTimes:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/wall-st-often-slow-to-disclose-brokers-sins/?ref=business

"Mr. Erzinger was charged with a felony over the summer and pleaded guilty to two lesser misdemeanor charges in December. Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, which was supposed to tell regulators within 30 days of the initial charges, took months to report the incident.

Now the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Wall Street’s self-policing organization, is looking at whether the brokerage firm violated securities laws by not disclosing the charges in a timely fashion."

I don't expect anything material to come of this (given the toothless regulators' history of late) but if it causes just a bit of pain for MSSB, that's better than nothing, I guess.

ultraman6970
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
WHat the cycling community can do?

Ahneida Ride
02-23-2011, 02:10 PM
As a Christian, I would appreciate it if perhaps we could refrain from
using the name my my Savior in such a format.

troymac
02-23-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm contacting Bill Oreilly about this issue . He seems to attack injustice head on. Just a suggestion. If he were to get a pile of e-mails on one subject maybe he could highlight it. oreilly@foxnews.com

rice rocket
02-23-2011, 03:44 PM
You're gonna put O'Reilly up against a banker? Really?

I'd think you'd have more success with someone further to the left...

oldpotatoe
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm contacting Bill Oreilly about this issue . He seems to attack injustice head on. Just a suggestion. If he were to get a pile of e-mails on one subject maybe he could highlight it. oreilly@foxnews.com

Yer kidding, the guys a neo-facist.

He wanted to try Churchill here on sedition or treason charges..same sort of thing a gent named Adolf did in the 30s.

Called the 2nd Amendment..you may not like it Bill, but so what.

Vientomas
02-23-2011, 06:25 PM
2nd Amendment?

Hawker
02-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Not sure I understand that reasoning?

Fixed
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
As a Christian, I would appreciate it if perhaps we could refrain from
using the name my my Savior in such a format.
+1
cheers

572cv
02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
for the ref. on the NYT article. My comment made it as reader response #20.

The legal system's response to the perp. and his employer Morgan Stanley Smith Barney is one thing. The economic response is also important. Doing whatever possible to hurt them in that regard is within the realm of possibility. Perhaps the response can be strong enough that the county attorney and his, er, enablers, realize their approach is reprehensible and more important, has consequences not worth the action.

sjbraun
02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
"As a Christian, I would appreciate it if perhaps we could refrain from
using the name my my Savior in such a format."

Christmas is your savior?

You must be in retail.

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Steve in SLO
02-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I'd like to see the DA on with Stephen Colbert or John Stewart.

Steve in SLO
02-23-2011, 08:55 PM
2nd Amendment?
You know...the right to arm bears.

dave thompson
02-23-2011, 09:12 PM

You must be in retail.

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk
Not nice.

Vientomas
02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
You know...the right to arm bears.

Yes, I am familiar with it. I just wondered how it tied into Post #75.

Mattbotak
02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Not only are some banks too big to fail but now fund managers are too big to prosecute. I hope he gets taken to the cleaners in civil court.

troymac
02-24-2011, 01:30 AM
I'd like to see the DA on with Stephen Colbert or John Stewart.
Maybe he's a "nice guy" this DA but he's not acting in the best interests of victims or the public ... So puke it is. Yes Steve someone needs to get some teeth into this man.

slowandsteady
02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Ride the Rockies (and other area road and MTB tour groups) can make a statement by pulling out of the area this year and any year in the future until this idiot DA is removed from office (or is it orifice?). It will make headlines, bring attention to this issue, make a statement by and for the biking community and push the local populace to take a stand and make decisions on this issue...

If no one moves forward on this fiasco it will fade into history and the abuses to bikers will continue as usual.

SamIAm
02-24-2011, 08:32 AM

You must be in retail.

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

I am sure you are not serious and will take this as a quite lame attempt at humor.

Lifelover
02-24-2011, 09:37 AM

You must be in retail.

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

I found it humorous and appropriate and I'm a Christian

avalonracing
02-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I found it humorous and appropriate and I'm a Christian

Thank you! :beer: It's a bit refreshing to find someone whose undying faith is not shaken by a joke.

echelon_john
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
amen! :beer:

Thank you! :beer: It's a bit refreshing to find someone whose undying faith is not shaken by a joke.

ergott
02-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Well I see where this thread is going...

SamIAm
02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm still trying to figure this post out.

How is Bill connected ot Churchill and what is the link to Hitler?

Also how does the 2nd amendment come into play here?

Yer kidding, the guys a neo-facist.

He wanted to try Churchill here on sedition or treason charges..same sort of thing a gent named Adolf did in the 30s.

Called the 2nd Amendment..you may not like it Bill, but so what.

rugbysecondrow
02-24-2011, 11:02 AM

Bill likes to be seen as one of the "folks"...stuff like this is what he likes to discuss on his show to give him some cred.

Remember, he is an "entertainer", politics has nothing to do with it, it is about entertainment.

LegendRider
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm still trying to figure this post out.

How is Bill connected ot Churchill and what is the link to Hitler?

Also how does the 2nd amendment come into play here?

I was confused as well. But, apparently, oldpotatoe meant Ward Churchill - the nutty, former professor... At least, that's who O'Reilly was talking about re: treason.

reductio ad Hitlerum...

jblande
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
at least you guys don't disagree that he is a proto-fascist.

:beer:

SamIAm
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I was confused as well. But, apparently, oldpotatoe meant Ward Churchill - the nutty, former professor... At least, that's who O'Reilly was talking about re: treason.

reductio ad Hitlerum...

Got it, thanks.

I don't thnk about O'Reilly much one way or the other, but if he was accusing Winston Churchill of treason, I might be able to get off the fence. :)

Any ideas on the 2nd amendment tie-in?

Ahneida Ride
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Perhaps this thread could be re-directed to the original intent ?

That cyclist are being executed in cold blood and the severity of the
ramifications depends one's political expediences.

David Ryan memorial site: http://www.davidtryan.com/

I was there at the sentencing when David's mother spoke.
Her pain was beyond description.

gdw
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe Old Potatoe thinks O'Reilly's an ineffective blowhard and somebody should bust a cap on the ex-professor faux native American asshat? A bit extreme but...:banana:

Lifelover
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM

That's the problem with any form of communication, it just does not translate the same for all of us.

The OP in no way, shape or form implied that cyclist are being executed in cold blood.

In the case you linked the driver is still in jail.

Cycling on the road presents a very specific danger. No amount of laws, bumper stickers or jail sentences will ever change that.

We can find an isolated case to show wrong doing of any sort.

Fixed
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM

+1
no one on the forum is the bad guy

cheers

BobbyJones
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi All, here's one more:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86251

http://www.change.org/petitions/no-more-senseless-bicycle-deaths

SamIAm
02-25-2011, 06:18 AM
I agree that cycling on the road has inherent danger and can never be made perfectly safe.

But in the present case, the man should had done some jail time. It's really that simple.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but these 18 questions help show the absurdity of the present case.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2010/12/31/18-questions-for-martin-erzinger/

ultraman6970
02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Awesome.

torquer
02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
That's the problem with any form of communication, it just does not translate the same for all of us.

The OP in no way, shape or form implied that cyclist are being executed in cold blood.

In the case you linked the driver is still in jail.

Cycling on the road presents a very specific danger. No amount of laws, bumper stickers or jail sentences will ever change that.

We can find an isolated case to show wrong doing of any sort.
As the kids (used to) say, true dat!
The OP (and the underlying story) caught all our attention because it involved 1) cycling (no controversy there), and 2) justice (which also does not translate the same for all of us.)
It's a reflection of our diversity that suggested responses have ranged from economic (boycotts) to political to O'reilly to the second ammendment. What else, end times? (Oh yeah, we did get a bit of thread drift about religion.) This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back when I should be working.

old_fat_and_slow
02-25-2011, 02:00 PM
When are U peeps gonna wake up and realize, that although the justice system of this country was framed and based on lofty principles, in reality it just don't always work the way it was intended.

Like it or not, there ARE TWO different justice systems in this country, the system for the mega-rich, and the system for the the rest of us.

Obviously when you throw elected officials into the mix who are reliant upon donations from the electorate (especially the wealthy and well-connected electorate) to finance their future career aspirations, you have room for graft and politically-based decisions that may not be in the victim's best interest.

I totally agree with the disgust that has been expressed by the previous posts regarding the behavior of the DA, and the defendant. However, I am a little surprised at how many people find the DA's actions to be puzzling. Dude is just lookin' out for numero uno and furthering his own career interests at the victim's expense. WoW !! Big Shock.

Ahneida Ride
02-25-2011, 11:31 PM
When are U peeps gonna wake up and realize, that although the justice system of this country was framed and based on lofty principles, in reality it just don't always work the way it was intended.

Like it or not, there ARE TWO different justice systems in this country, the system for the mega-rich, and the system for the the rest of us.

Obviously when you throw elected officials into the mix who are reliant upon donations from the electorate (especially the wealthy and well-connected electorate) to finance their future career aspirations, you have room for graft and politically-based decisions that may not be in the victim's best interest.

I totally agree with the disgust that has been expressed by the previous posts regarding the behavior of the DA, and the defendant. However, I am a little surprised at how many people find the DA's actions to be puzzling. Dude is just lookin' out for numero uno and furthering his own career interests at the victim's expense. WoW !! Big Shock.

Amen.... It's time for BYOP ... Buy your own Politician Party ...
We buy em ... and they answer to us ...
We play the same game as the big guys.