PDA

View Full Version : OT-Nasal spray

TAW
12-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Now that it's winter, the sinuses are worse than normal (congestion/drainage). I've tried the nasal wash, neti pot (sp?) and saline spray. Anybody have anything that you can use daily that helps the congestion and dryness that has worked for you? A spray would be nice.

Thanks!

1happygirl
12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
You've tried the NeilMed Sinus Rinse everyday?

Looks like their new product must be something you could try.

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusurf.php

If you try it< let us know how it works for you.

Ray
12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
As a longtime sinus problem guy, there are no over the counter sinus sprays that you should use on a regular basis. The Afrin type stuff can be very effective, but are really only good to use every now and again. My understanding is they get less and less effective if used regularly and may have some other associated problems. I'm on a couple of prescription nasal sprays that help a lot, along with doing nasal rinses a couple of times per day. If a saline type rinse isn't doing the job, talk to a doc - don't take the OTC stuff day to day.

-Ray

93legendti
12-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, listen to Ray. Afrin is ok 3 days in a row, but not on a regular basis ans should be used only when you have very bad symptoms. Continual use is really bad for you.

Have you tried doubling up the sinus rinse packages? I use the green packets, which I think is equal to 2 blue packets. That's what my allergy doc suggests. I saw an ENT last year and he said sinus rinses are one of the best things you can do for allergies.

When I have a sinus headache I sometimes try a pepper spray and that can be effective.

OTC, Zyrtec ($15 for a year's supply from Costco) in the evening, Mucinex 2x a day and/or Sudafed 120mg can be very effective.

Check the humdifiers on your furnaces and make sure they are set for winter.

I have read that plants are a good addition for allergy sufferers.

onekgguy
12-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Check the humdifiers on your furnaces and make sure they are set for winter.

This is a huge component of sinus health for me. We use an Aprilaire humidifier and it makes all the difference.

Kevin g

dekindy
12-12-2010, 04:32 AM
It may not be a sinus problem. You may have allergies. Seeing an allergist and being diagnosedf and taking allergy shots has made a new man out of me. YMMV. However I wish that I had seen an allergist 25 years ago. It has literally changed my life. No more debilitating sinus attacks and I rarely get a cold now and if I do the duration and severity are 50% less.

rickbb
12-12-2010, 06:45 AM
As a longtime sinus problem guy, there are no over the counter sinus sprays that you should use on a regular basis. The Afrin type stuff can be very effective, but are really only good to use every now and again. My understanding is they get less and less effective if used regularly and may have some other associated problems. I'm on a couple of prescription nasal sprays that help a lot, along with doing nasal rinses a couple of times per day. If a saline type rinse isn't doing the job, talk to a doc - don't take the OTC stuff day to day.

-Ray

Ray,
Are these steroid sprays or something else?
I'm in the same boat as others and the saline-based nasal sprays/rinses have no positive effect and, possibly, make things worse.
Humidity is an important variable, for sure, and at least that is easily controlled.

ultraman6970
12-12-2010, 08:23 AM
I have not idea if steroids based sprays will work in the winter and probably they will. I used to have bad pollen allergies and after using an steroids based nasal spray maybe 4 times 2 years ago the darn allergy it is practically gone.

If you have nasal drip thats another issue, if you have something like stuff coming from your sinuses a steroids nasal spray might help but there is a big chance that u have rhinitis (not sure about spelling) or something similar, for that u have medicament's also, I would ask to a doctor if the same nasal spray will work also.

Ray
12-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Ray,
Are these steroid sprays or something else?
I'm in the same boat as others and the saline-based nasal sprays/rinses have no positive effect and, possibly, make things worse.
Humidity is an important variable, for sure, and at least that is easily controlled.
Two prescription sprays - one steroid, one is more of an antihistamine. I take 'em year round for chronic sinus problems, and they keep things pretty well under control. I had surgery in 2000 and have been a lot better since then - I was basically a full time, walking/talking sinus infection before then. I'd ride my bike over to get a cat-scan and the radiology techs didn't know how I was upright - but I was quite used to it. I still get the occasional infection - maybe once or sometimes twice a year - but much reduced since I started doing a good nasal rinse in addition. To me the biggest difference in the winter is just the drier indoor air. A humidifier helps, but I also use some vaseline or this other stuff called Ponaris inside my nose (not in the sinuses, just where I can reach with a q-tip). Once or twice a day keeps it from getting dried out and seems to help.

-Ray

thwart
12-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Lots of good advice above. Cycling outdoors helps clear my sinuses... ;)

I have not idea if steroids based sprays will work in the winter and probably they will. They will indeed make a significant difference if you are allergic to dust---or that pet sleeping on your bed.

Generally speaking (and during the dry cold winter months especially) some kind of saline nasal rinse is going to be helpful. More hassle for sure, but more effective than spraying stuff. Sometimes you have to play with the ingredients (concentration of them) a little if there's burning or increased dryness afterward.

palincss
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Alkalol (http://www.alkalolcompany.com/index.php) has served me very well for the past ~40 years.

dekindy
12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Alkalol (http://www.alkalolcompany.com/index.php) has served me very well for the past ~40 years.

Thanks. I have researched sinus remedies extensively yet have never discovered this product.

palincss
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
It was recommended -- actually, the nasal spray thingie was prescribed -- by an ear-nose-throat doctor. I googled around once and found something from the Canadian national health service that recommended it. It's much more pleasant and more effective than saline. Wonderful stuff.

TAW
12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Thank you to everyone for the replies. I should have mentioned that I have been to an allergist and an ENT doctor. The saline sprays and nasal washes were recommended, but they seemed to only make the situation worse. Over the last few years the condition of my sinuses has become more of a hassle, with the constant blowing of the nose and irritation. I do not have a humidifier on my furnace, but may try a room humidifier at night. I'm going to do some research on some of the other products that were mentioned.