PDA

View Full Version : Bib tight over bib short w/ chamois--comfy or not?

hockeybike
12-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Finally getting around to getting some winter stuff and I figured I'd ask this here before taking the plunge--Is it worth getting bib tights w/o pads and wearing them over bib shorts you have and like, or is it just really uncomfortable?

I have a few bib shorts I like, so I figured I'd try to keep using them if possible, instead of going to another chamois I might not like.

Also, should I size up if going that route? (ie, get medium instead of small, etc).

DfCas
12-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Thats my normal cold weather garb. If its really cold I wear bib tights over padded bib knickers.

For cold weather I dont like anything to fit tight, particularly gloves or shoes.

93legendti
12-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I've worn 2 sets of chamois-less tights over bib shorts-works great. I don't size up. Much better than tights with chamois. Tights w/out chamois
don't need to be washed after every cold ride - especially if they are wool.

Louis
12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
No-chamois tights (bib or non-bib) work quite well over shorts.

maxdog
12-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Lets just say, all of the above. It's standard protocol. Don't size up.

kestrel
12-11-2010, 05:09 PM
normal cold weather: pair of lightweight bib tights w/o insert over bib shorts.
extremely cold weather: two pairs of lightweight bib tights w/o insert over bib shorts.

I would rather layer lightweight tights than wear winter tights which are more restrictive. Bonus is if it warms a bit you can always stop and strip off one pair of tights and stuff them in a pocket.

godfrey1112000
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I have two sets

1. Assos Knickers with from low 60's, after September to low 50's, very comfy
worth the investment, great for fall and spring

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2010-assos-tk.434-s5-bib-knickers-8734.14.1.html

2. Low 50's and down, Assos bibb tights good to high 20's
the are warm and feel like PJ's very smooth, expensive to buy but worth the investment, great against the wind

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2011-assos-ll.716-s5-bib-tights-7714.14.1.html

happycampyer
12-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Tights w/o chamois are my preference also. I find that, with tights with a built-in chamois, the fit needs to be perfect—otherwise when you stand on the pedals, the chamois pulls away from you. With bib shorts underneath thights w/o a chamois, the chamois always stays put. I find that the Assos tights with windblock material allow for normal movement without being restrictive.

Another way to layer tights w/o a chamois is to wear them over a pair of bib knickers, which gives you an added layer of roubaix fabric where you need it most.

HenryA
12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Bib tights, no chamois over whatever shorts I have, bib or not, works fine for me.

eddief
12-11-2010, 06:31 PM
just a jock and leg warmers.

hockeybike
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks all. Ended up picking up some descente cold out bib tights and a terramor merino shirt on sierratradingpost. 20% off for the next few hrs (till 12am Mountain time) w/ code SITEHIT1210.

Can't wait to get back on the bike...

HankHornbuckle
12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Just bought the Giordana Silverline bib-tights w/ chamois, and I have to say, they are very, very nice to ride in. I like the sheer minimalist one-piece comfort and prefer it over my old tights-over-bib-shorts setup. CC was out of large, so I did a google shopping search and found indiebike.com. Got free shipping and a 20% off online coupon [120$ total].

nahtnoj
12-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I find that, with tights with a built-in chamois, the fit needs to be perfect—otherwise when you stand on the pedals, the chamois pulls away from you.

This.

You really need two layers for fit and to stay warm/protected from the wind below freezing.

dogdriver
12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
just a jock and leg warmers.

Disturbing.

FWIW, I have a cheesy pair of REI thermal wind-front tights that I wear over a set of bike shorts. Thought I'd eventually blow out the crotch (didn't really care since they cost $40.00), but they're going strong after 3 years. If its REALLY cold or snowing I throw on a pair of wind pants.

Bob Ross
12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Is it worth getting bib tights w/o pads and wearing them over bib shorts you have and like, or is it just really uncomfortable?

Unfortunately I found this isn't one of those binary equations; it's not Black or White. I don't find them "really uncomfortable" but I do find padless bib tights + shorts slightly "less comfortable" (in terms of saddle-feel/chafing/sliding) than padded tights...albeit warmer. And since Warmth is just a different type of Comfort, the answer is definitely in the Gray area.

I.e., "Sometimes."

Lovetoclimb
12-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I find Campagnolo bib longs (knickers and tights) have too much extra material in the Large, but that is the only size that will accommodate my inseam. Having played with several other bib shorts and now being sponsored by Castelli, I have an abundance of their perfect fitting size large shorts. This combination of shorts under longs seems to work perfectly, and provide me enough warmth even down to the single digit mornings.

The size large Castelli Fulmine Bib longs are a perfect fit for me in every aspect, so I am going to continue with Castelli. With said longs I am able to wear just one pair comfortably, but on the especially cold mornings I throw some of those large Campag knickers on over top for thigh and knee warmth.

beungood
12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
It's been hit or miss for me. Found the Addidas had too much volume and werent snug or too snug. Demarchie Contours with pad ok but cool. I have one pair of demarchie without pad I wear over shorts that feel good and f its really cold I throw on wool leg warmers underneath. been comfortable to 24 degrees. I have another pair of demarchie with pad that are thicker and ok. for topside I wear a base layer or dryfit short under a wool layer or two and a riding jacket. if really windy a vest.