PDA

View Full Version : Prologo Scratch Saddle Users

dekindy
12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
How did you set up the Prologo Scratch saddle for best comfort? Especially Aliante owners that like the Scratch? I ordered this model: Prologo Scratch Pro (http://www.realcyclist.com/prologo-pro-scratch-pro-ti-1.4-full-saddle)

Has anyone used the uclip option and saddle bag? Did it work okay? I saw a handful of reviews, only one was negative. The clip had come loose over some rough road. My Aliante bag would come loose also if not seated properly or in my case the saddle receptacle was defective.

I could not pass up the 75% off sale at Real Cyclist. Added some Assos cream to the order to get over the $50 minimum to qualify for free shipping. If it does not work out surely I won't be out much money.

ColnagoLightxx
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Tilt it a little lower than your normal positioning. I use one and did this and it is extremely comfortable.

dekindy
12-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Tilt it a little lower than your normal positioning. I use one and did this and it is extremely comfortable.

Mine is tilted down a couple of degrees. Is this what you mean?

ColnagoLightxx
12-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Yup. At first I had it flat it and felt kind of funny so through my ride I adjusted it to it felt comfortable on the sit bones. That should work for you, curious to how it will work for you, let me know.

1centaur
12-11-2010, 04:40 PM
I am highly qualified to comment on this, since I have many, many Aliantes and have recently added several Pro Logo Scratches after using one on my trainer to see why all the pros liked it so much (now the only saddle I use on the trainer - for some reason the Aliante would get annoying there from time to time.) I still find the Aliante the most comfortable saddle ever, but I get tired of different forms of saddle noise (regardless of seat post) and sometimes trade a little comfort for more quiet.

I use a digital level and I set BOTH saddles 1.4 degrees nose up. The slightly harder padding of the Pro Logo makes nose up more important on that saddle because in my case I am more likely to get pitched forward if the nose is not up enough to offset that; with the Fizik the softer padding is more forgiving of angle.

The clip works well, IMO. The bag actually did come off once, first ride, on a hard hit, but I suspect I did not engage it properly on both rails of the clip. No problem since. The bag is a little smaller than the medium size bag for Fizik saddles but I still get all the same stuff in, just with a tighter fit.

Funny anecdote, but I am very NOT mechanically inclined, and I had to stare at the PL a long time before I figured out how the clip got put on. It took forever for it to dawn on me that I actually had to unscrew what was there already, I was so predisposed to expect the clip to be slid on somehow.

TimmyB
12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I have mine tilted up ever so slightly... probably like 1-2°

ColnagoLightxx
12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Wish I was like you guys :p

dekindy
12-11-2010, 08:04 PM
1centaur and timmyb thanks very much for the information.

One important detail regarding measuring the position of the Aliante. Are you using a full size level to measure the entire length of the saddle and if so exactly how do you position it? Or, do you use a torpedo level like my fitter does and base your measurement on the short, front level part of the Aliante? How does this translate to the Prologo.

I selected the free, slow delivery method so it will be 7-14 days before I receive the saddle. This type of delivery is usually must faster than indicated but with the holidays it may take that long. I will install on the trainer bike and give a report as soon as I can. The more reports that I review the more anxious I am to try the Prologo Scratch.

dekindy
12-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Also one of the reviews criticized the Scratch for having a slick cover and as a result undesired sliding forward on the saddle. Have you noticed this? Is this also part of the reason for angling the Scratch nose upward?

ColnagoLightxx
12-11-2010, 09:18 PM
It depends on where you sit on it. I used to sit farther forward but my fitter had me positioned farther back and he tilted the saddle a degree or two down so that's why I said I position mine that way.

TimmyB
12-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure I've noticed sliding down on my scratch any more so than any other saddle I've used... My fitter has always positioned my saddles ever so slightly tilted up to prevent sliding. It's always felt comfortable to me, so I've never bothered to really change things up in that department. I have no issues with sliding the way my saddle is currently positioned.

1centaur
12-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I position my 7 inch long digital level where my sit bones sit, to some extent, by putting one end in the center as far back as it goes without overhanging the back end and the other end goes wherever its length takes it. I am bridging the dip. I could put a book across the dip and I'd get the same result, because the length of the tool is far enough to reach the high point towards the nose - there is no nose that just keeps rising all the way to the end.

spartacus
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Also one of the reviews criticized the Scratch for having a slick cover and as a result undesired sliding forward on the saddle. Have you noticed this? Is this also part of the reason for angling the Scratch nose upward?

I've never had that problem with my Scratch saddles. Mine is angled slightly up and thus there's no sliding down, and as it has a soft section along the chevrons there's no pressure problem.

snah
12-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Also have the same saddle, haven't noticed any problems with it being slicker than other saddles, not able to compare to the Aliante though. Rode the Prologo for RAIN this year, little sore by mile 140, but could have just been me.

bking
12-13-2010, 10:08 AM
nothing new to add. I used Aliante on all bikes for several years, but after 3 hrs or so in the saddle never could get comfortable.
Switched to the Scratch family and have not looked back. I have most every version of the Scratch (including two of this one specified) and while there is slight variation, all are comfortable. I too ride with nose up a degree or two.

What is the Uclip/bag combo mentioned above? I don't ride with a bag, but i'm curious.
thanks.

rice rocket
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
This might be for another thread, but anyone know anything about the other Prologo offerings? There's almost zero description on their site other than weight.

Edit: apparently they have wide version of each of their saddles too?

dekindy
12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
What is the Uclip/bag combo mentioned above? I don't ride with a bag, but i'm curious.
thanks.

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-PLUC.html
http://www.prologotouch.com/OG_clips.htm#navigazione

I saw a reference to these in a Prologo saddle description which I cannot remember where. However after a search found these. Art's Cyclery website has some bags. Found a user that described the Prologo bags as Topeak's and that it is a standard Topeak clip so you can use the bag for a non Prologo saddle if needed. Combining information from several different sources brought all this to light. I cannot find the bags on Prologo's website. It will be nice if they get more penetration into the US market, assuming that I like the Scratch over the Aliante as much as you do.

snah
12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I do ride with a bag and curious, what's the advantage of the clip on vs the old velcro?

dekindy
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I do ride with a bag and curious, what's the advantage of the clip on vs the old velcro?

Quick release and cleaner look. Of course quick release bags are available without using the uclip.

1centaur
12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Velcro around the seatpost can rub on inside of shorts/bibs. Once it happened to me I sent to non-velcro alternatives and never looked back.

dekindy
12-19-2010, 09:09 AM
You can see my Prologo Scratch Pro review here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=81825&page=3
See #38

and here is the full reply, good thread to read
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=234715
Go to reply #23.

dekindy
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I rode 30 miles last night, fairly hard riding against the wind, so it was a good test for the saddle. I left the height the same as my Aliante was set and only did a rough alignment of the fore/aft positioning and angle while wearing jeans, no adjustment during the ride. It felt good. I did not fidget or feel the need to nearly as much as with the Aliante.

I plan to do some more fine adjusting prior to the next ride, this time wearing cycling bibs, and get the fit dialed in. I can't believe it was so comfortable with so little time spent on the initial install because no other saddle has even come close to the Aliante. Can't wait to go 50 or a 100 and see if it feels good at that distance.

keevon
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Glad you like it.

I recently moved to the Scratch from a Specialized Phenom, and a San Marco Regal before that. The width of the Scratch is similar to my 143 Phenom and a little narrower than the Regal. I like that it's a flat-ish saddle with a firm shell and no cutout. The Phenom was great brand new, but quickly broke down and developed excessive flex in the shell at the cutout. Very uncomfortable.

I find the Scratch is slick enough to allow me to move around without being slippery. I also point the nose up ever so slightly to keep from sliding forward.

Interestingly, when hammering in the drops, I find myself sitting on the nose of the saddle more than other saddle's I've owned. Riding "on the rivet" is now a possibility with the softer nose of the Scratch.

dekindy
03-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Do you have the wider version? I purchased the 134 on sale, 75% off so I would have still purchased it, before realizing there was a wider model. It was difficult to figure out on Prologo's website.

My dilemma will be how to determine whether the wider version would be even more comfortable without going to a lot of expense. I guess if it is the best that I have had and I can go all day maybe I will not worry about it.

Glad you like it.

I recently moved to the Scratch from a Specialized Phenom, and a San Marco Regal before that. The width of the Scratch is similar to my 143 Phenom and a little narrower than the Regal. I like that it's a flat-ish saddle with a firm shell and no cutout. The Phenom was great brand new, but quickly broke down and developed excessive flex in the shell at the cutout. Very uncomfortable.

I find the Scratch is slick enough to allow me to move around without being slippery. I also point the nose up ever so slightly to keep from sliding forward.

Interestingly, when hammering in the drops, I find myself sitting on the nose of the saddle more than other saddle's I've owned. Riding "on the rivet" is now a possibility with the softer nose of the Scratch.

dekindy
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
50 miles a couple of weeks ago and a 74 miler this past weekend. The 74-miler was a grinder against a stiff wind. The Prologo Scratch Pro is definitely better than my Aliante and is now my new saddle. I highly recommend anyone that wants a firmer alternative to the Aliante.