pictures of bikes and rides without
having to put them on the pc first or
perform some convoluted flicker type
transfer

thanks

VF

CaptStash
12-11-2010, 08:33 AM
With a PC, plug the phone into the computer and go to "My Computer". The iPhone shows as a camera with all of the pics available.

Stash....

victoryfactory
12-11-2010, 08:45 AM
With a PC, plug the phone into the computer and go to "My Computer". The iPhone shows as a camera with all of the pics available.

Stash....

Right, but I want to upload a photo to this forum directly
using the manage attachments function
without going through a PC so it can be done from the road with only
the iphone.

I suspect that it's not possible due to apple trying to control content through
their system. but I was hoping someone knew of a stand-alone app that will do
it. If you sign up with flicker, etc they seem to have a way built in but I want
to do it direct if possible

Thanks

VF

Cinci Jim
12-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I bet you will have to jailbreak your phone to make it work.

Ray
12-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't even think you can do it through Flickr. You can take a picture with the phone's camera either through the camera app or through the Flickr app. If you do it through the Flickr app, it'll save the shot to Flickr and you can also save it to your phone's photos. But I can't see how you can do anything with a photo other than email it or send it in a text message to someone - regardless of whether you're getting it from Flickr or your phone's memory. There's no way to grab a photo's Flickr URL to insert into a forum message, at least that I can find.

There are a LOT of photo related apps for the iphone, so its possible there's one that would let you do something like this, but I don't see anyway to do it using the phone's camera app or Flickr app.

-Ray

SoCalSteve
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Even if you could do it directly, there is the issue of size... ( watch the comments, please)...

Coming right off the iPhone, the pictures are way too large for this forum.

It's a 3 step process:

1.) Take pictures from iPhone onto drive of computer

2.) resize photos smaller so they will work on this forum

3.) upload resized pictures to forum

Good luck!

CaptStash
12-11-2010, 02:29 PM
OK, so I'm a little bored while camped out in a hotel room in Coatzacolcos, Mexico waiting for a ship, so IO asked the Google. In hte "My Account" section of flickr you can get a special email address (that they choose for you) to upload photos directly from your phone to Flickr via email. I tried it and it works. The text of the message goes in as the description on the site.

The next task would be using a web photo in a post. I remember how to link to one, but not how to have it come it by itself.

CaptStash....

victoryfactory
12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Even if you could do it directly, there is the issue of size... ( watch the comments, please)...
Coming right off the iPhone, the pictures are way too large for this forum.
It's a 3 step process:

1.) Take pictures from iPhone onto drive of computer

2.) resize photos smaller so they will work on this forum

3.) upload resized pictures to forum

Good luck!

When you email a photo from iphone it lets you select from 3 sizes before you send.
This gave me hope that someone would make an app to upload directly from iphone since the capability to auto resize is there.
I don't want to use fliker, your face, my place, picassa, picasso, my tunes,
your tunes, his book her face etc as an intermediate step.

After more research, I think this is just one more example of control by a
company who wants us to tether to a Mac or PC so's they can sell us stuff.

OTOH, It's a phone, not a cray super computer!
And it does a lot of things well. I'll stop whining now.

thanks for your help

VF

TimmyB
12-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Here's one solution using only your iphone: Download the photobucket app. Using that you can upload pictures from your iphone to their server. Under upload settings in the app you can set the max image size, so the resizing is done by their server. Once the photo's uploaded, if you click on the little info button when viewing the picture you can get the img code for the pic. Copy that and paste it into a comment using safari or whatever to view this forum and you're good to go. A little bit of a round-about way to do it, but it's a way nonetheless :beer:

EDIT: Just realized you said you didn't want an intermediate step. Doesn't appear to be a way around that, my friend.

vqdriver
12-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Yup. I do that with photobucket except without the app
They give you an email address you can send pics to from your phone. Then open your album and click on get urls or links or something and you can copy and paste it into a post.

I actually prefer this cuz it still shows up as part of the post not a link and there's no need to resize and upload to the forum.

Louis
12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Only a matter of time (and bandwidth) until we get real-time video from anone who cares to share it.

Except for me, because I'll still have dial-up to my Windows 98 PC.

victoryfactory
12-12-2010, 04:45 AM
ok. with encouragement from you all I'm trying
the photobucket workaround.
if an image appears below, it works
and may the gods save you from my
stupid pictures which you may have
facilitated
thanks for all of your help.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/victoryfactory/05c4b20e.jpg

victoryfactory
12-12-2010, 04:54 AM
YES!
photobucket does let you choose the res but this is the best you can
use that will work on this forum, not great but it works.

btw that's my TiMax project finally
done after collecting and swapping
parts for a year.
Winwood rigid carbon fork
1x9 drivetrain w/ raceface & XT
20.75 lbs
for winter/bad weather/dirt

hey... is this a bike related thread now?

VF

Ti Designs
12-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Perhaps you can, but should you?

Ray
12-12-2010, 09:09 AM
So now we'll have to add "uploading while riding" to the list of hazardous activities along with riding while talking on the cell and riding while texting... :cool:

I don't think I'd upload anything until I got home, culled out the garbage, and just occasionally send a handful of decent shots. But not until I can really SEE them. But that's just me. Its also much easier to sort, edit, and upload from a computer than a phone.

-Ray