PDA

View Full Version : OT: I'm not much of an NBA fan, but this is pretty cool

Louis
12-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Blake Griffin's top 10 dunks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gG4W0L41FI)

FlashUNC
12-10-2010, 09:02 PM
He's a machine. Too bad he's cursed to play for the Clips.

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 10:59 PM
People of our ilk like to hate on the NBA like they hate on Lance, but they are some of the greatest athletes in the world.

Louis
12-10-2010, 11:03 PM
they are some of the greatest athletes in the world.

Agreed. Basketball and hockey = complete athletes.

As opposed to say, cyclists or NFL linemen.

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Agreed. Basketball and hockey = complete athletes.

As opposed to say, cyclists or NFL linemen.
+1 Very reluctantly, I would include soccer players as well

DogpawSlim
12-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Funny, I just searched for that the other day. I've never been a basketball fan, but I saw his huge dunk the other night on the news and I couldn't get enough.

Then I got into assists, check out Jason Williams' top 10...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnW07d062g

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Funny, I just searched for that the other day. I've never been a basketball fan, but I saw his huge dunk the other night on the news and I couldn't get enough.

Then I got into assists, check out Jason Williams' top 10...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnW07d062g
Always has been one of the most entertaining plays to watch. Him and Randy Moss played high school ball together. Birds of a feather!

haneriali
12-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Great clips--gotta' love the power dunkers. That guys so big can train their bodies to move like that is amazing.

SEABREEZE
12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Blake Griffin's top 10 dunks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gG4W0L41FI)

Can u say ROOKIE OF THE YEAR...

SEABREEZE
12-11-2010, 10:07 AM
+1 Very reluctantly, I would include soccer players as well

AGREE, They need to be added also, extremly agile, poetry in motion while in air ready to head butt a ball, or slide on the grass to reach and kick ball first, not to mention there rentless tire to run up and down the field.

Ray
12-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I think NBA players, overall, are the best athletes in the world. Like completely improvised ballet, with other people just as gifted trying to stop them. Incredible. I was lucky enough to live in downtown Seattle for a couple of years in the mid-80's when the Sonics arena was being refurbished and they played for a couple of seasons in the Kingdome and nosebleed tickets were about $3 or something insanely low. I didn't have kids yet and I could walk to the games and I went to LOT of them. The Sonics weren't much in those days but Magic used to come in and play a few times per year and Bird once or twice and seeing those guys play from waaaay up there and see the passing lanes develop and see the way THEY saw them from ground level, was incredible. Almost telepathy. I got to see Jordan in his rookie year too, but not after.

I was a fan as a kid too and the Suns used to play some pre-season games in Tucson, so I got to see Jabbar a few times. And, as a really little kid, I was a Baltimore Bullets fan and saw them play against Philly when Wilt was still in Philly. We were a bunch of 6 or 7 year olds down in one of the birthday party rooms under the arena and the 76ers (or was it Warriors, not even sure - this was like '66 or '67) got off their bus and waked right by us - we walked out of the room to see them when we heard they were coming in. Wilt Chamberlain, all 7', whatever of him walked by me when I was probably still probably, what, four feet tall or less? I don't remember much about those days but I'll never forget looking straight UP at that guy.

NBA games can kind of suck because one great player can so dominate a game that the team game frequently gets lost, and they always seem to take an hour for the last two minutes to play out if its close. But, athletically, there's nothing like it. Now, there are so many of them who are so gifted its almost not as much fun as when Dr. J and MJ were in their primes and there was just nobody who could stop them from doing magic tricks all night. It was almost like watching the Globetrotters except the other guys were trying...

-Ray

Lifelover
12-11-2010, 11:49 AM
NBA games can kind of suck because one great player can so dominate a game that the team game frequently gets lost,. ......... Now, there are so many of them who are so gifted its almost not as much fun as when Dr. J and MJ were in their primes and there was just nobody who could stop them from doing magic tricks all night....

-Ray

This is one of the minor marketing problems the NBA has. What takes away from the "team" sport part of it is what makes the highlight reels.

Ultimately I done really watch a ton of if it but it is the greatest game going.