PDA

View Full Version : Closed thread

spartacus
12-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I didn't sense that the 'Anyone called Serotta' thread was about to get out of hand. It seemed to have run its natural course I agree, but closing was a touch reflexive. Being a mod is not easy, but you may have moved in a bit unnecessarily IMHO. :beer: chilled.

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I didn't sense that the 'Anyone called Serotta' thread was about to get out of hand. It seemed to have run its natural course I agree, but closing was a touch reflexive. Being a mod is not easy, but you may have moved in a bit unnecessarily IMHO. :beer: chilled.

Why do you really care? Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm curious as to why anyone would care about a thread closing enough to start a new thread about it.

dave thompson
12-10-2010, 01:31 PM
The thread was getting a little personal, hence the closing of it.

SoCalSteve
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
It had nothing to do with Serotta, customer service, etc...

It was completely regarding people not playing "nice" with each other.

And, the thread had run its course anyway. The original poster will get the answer he needs. Done deal.

Thanks.

spartacus
12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Why do you really care? Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm curious as to why anyone would care about a thread closing enough to start a new thread about it.

...because I thought it unnecessary, and I thought my idea about stamping geo numbers on tubes a good one (not wanting to bang my own drum) and there wasn't much opportunity for people to respond to it. That's all. Still chilled, but warming ever so slightly.

Fit critical items like shoes normally have their size stamped/ marked on them. Why not the angles of frame seat and head tubes too? Seems logical, and more importantly very doable. Anyone with a metal ruler can measure the length of a tube, but an angle?

rice rocket
12-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Do shoes list footbed width and toe box size too?

spartacus
It had nothing to do with Serotta, customer service, etc...

It was completely regarding people not playing "nice" with each other.

And, the thread had run its course anyway. The original poster will get the answer he needs. Done deal.

Thanks.

Yes, it served a purpose, getting the numbers.

rugbysecondrow
HUGS all around!!!

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 01:40 PM
ATMO, this thread shoudl be closed simply to make a point.

spartacus
Do shoes list footbed width and toe box size too?

That would be a good idea. Bad fitting shoes are a bitch.

crownjewelwl
I just thought this thread could use some dancing bananas...
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
...... Anyone with a metal ruler can measure the length of a tube, but an angle?

Get with AndrewS. I think he was going to buy one of those fancy angle measuing devices.

spartacus
12-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Get with AndrewS. I think he was going to buy one of those fancy angle measuing devices.

No, I'd rather save a tree and be done with build sheets littering the world.

William
12-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Not for nuttin' (no nuts for you rodent!! :butt: ),

I would bet a good percentage of Serotta customers likely got their first one used. It's like a gateway drug that leads many to by a new one for themselves down the road. That is unless, something happens that leaves a bad impression. Considering Serotta's rep for customer service, I'm sure it came as a surprise that they offered no help in the OP's situation. I was a little surprised myself considering past gushing on the forum.....as well as one of my own experiences with Ben.

But, who knows? Maybe they are cutting back a bit? I can understand that it could be overwhelming if they fielded multiple calls a day asking for specs. But they established the "bend-over-backwards" service reputation so even minor cutbacks are going to be viewed in the extreme. Something like this could hurt them more then some of the others in the bike biz.

Just a thought.

William

indyrider
12-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Fact is, certain mods have trigger fingers :no:

William
12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Fact is, certain mods have trigger fingers :no:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/1337W422102/Ages25AndUp/Reviews/TFFlint/trigger-finger.jpg

;) :D

54ny77
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
i decry the lack of machismo.

alancw3
12-10-2010, 02:31 PM
i am reminded once again that this is a forum/website that our host i.e. serotta has gratiously provided. so let's not forget that serotta is in business to make money i.e. pay the rent, salaries etc. at some point customer service becomes exorbinant matter how good the company. i for one am happy that we have the opportunity to have such a forum. reminds me of an old politican saying " you can't please all of the people all the time". enough said.

spartacus
12-10-2010, 03:13 PM
i am reminded once again that this is a forum/website that our host i.e. serotta has gratiously provided. so let's not forget that serotta is in business to make money i.e. pay the rent, salaries etc. at some point customer service becomes exorbinant matter how good the company. i for one am happy that we have the opportunity to have such a forum. reminds me of an old politican saying " you can't please all of the people all the time". enough said.

I just want to deconstruct this for clarity. So, 'customer service' means (I assume) service to the customer, at the time of order/ purchase and hopefully later too in the hope of repeat/ new business (sounds sensible) - the customer for life notion, a quaint notion some may say, and easy to overlook in hard times, but it still has legs in a niche market.

So, if customer service goes down south and service to the customer also goes down south with it (siamese business twins for life that they are), then the company just goes down.

If I have a custom Serotta frameset from new (therefore I am an authentic Serotta customer) and I want to sell it to Joe so I can raise some cash to buy another new Serotta, and Joe wants the frame numbers and I can't find them and Serotta won't help Joe, then Joe won't buy the frameset and I won't be able to buy a shiny new Serotta. It's a bit like that Kevin Bacon thing, and six is too many, but one is the minimum. Poor Joe, and poor me, no shiny new Serotta. :crap:

vqdriver
12-10-2010, 03:16 PM
it was just a phone call.

everyone chill

William
12-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I remember a story about "Joe". I'll bet Ahneida Ride remembers a story about "Joe" as well. It involved customer service, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of it.

Good customer service is what sets similar companies apart. In a competitive market, good CS can make the difference between sink or swim.

Just sayin' Now back to your regularly schedule forum wandering.

William

97CSI
12-10-2010, 03:20 PM
On a positive note, I did hear back from Serotta and was told to buy an f'g protractor............ Just kidding, of course. The person that bobswire gave me the contact info for replied with the build sheet attached. Signed off by K. Bedford. Thank you to Serotta, bobswire and all who were helpful in the closed thread. All's well that ends well. How lame is that?

spartacus
12-10-2010, 03:30 PM
...and this idea that this forum is 'provided' and that we should all be so grateful and very respectful and tip toe our way around in hushed reverence ,....well it's my money that pays for this forum (bet you didn't know that did you :) ) and forum feedback is the very best form of market research and the modern way a company should take its own pulse to see if it's still alive and able to kick ass. Just sayin'. Close thread time? :beer:

vqdriver
12-10-2010, 03:32 PM
On a positive note, I did hear back from Serotta and was told to buy an f'g protractor............ Just kidding,

Hehe

SoCalSteve
12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
On a positive note, I did hear back from Serotta and was told to buy an f'g protractor............ Just kidding, of course. The person that bobswire gave me the contact info for replied with the build sheet attached. Signed off by K. Bedford. Thank you to Serotta, bobswire and all who were helpful in the closed thread. All's well that ends well. How lame is that?

Glad it had a great ending and you got the info you asked for. If it was out there in Serotta-land, I knew you would get it.

Enjoy!

Earlier models are much, much harder to get the build sheet from (almost impossible). The way it was explained to me was like this:

They have the data, they just no longer have the computer software to pull up the data...Lost when they switched to newer software....and, the paper versions do exist...But, would take forever and a day to find.

Newer models can be pulled up via the serial number.

Ti Designs
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
So thread close but build sheet found - it's all good. So what are you going to do with this info? I ask 'cause I could never see myself calling a builder to ask for the build specs. My bike is already built, knowing the specs doesn't change anything. Before the frame is built there's time to worry about details like angles and tube lengths, otherwise you wind up with a bad fit. After the bike is built it's time to ride the bike, otherwise you wind up with a bad rider...

Yes, I know it's December.

As for the shoe size comment, they print the size on the shoe for the retailer so they know the same size shoes are going back in the box. Do you really think a 10 year old Sidi in size 43 is the same size as what's on the shelf now in a 43?

Kirk007
12-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I think you will see these "why the closed threads" more often when it is a thread that can be interpreted as criticizing the company, as it appears, even if it is not, as a defensive reaction. And I think the "we should be thankful to our host" response exacerbates that reaction.

If I was a Serotta employee moderating the forum for customer feedback, which I assume, hope they do, the take away for me on these threads would be that while Serotta customers are for the most part reasonable and understanding, they expect exceptional customer service and are disappointed with anything less.

Given the niche Serotta seems to strive for, as reflected by the price of the frames, this seems like a reasonable expectation on the part of its target audience. I'm also sure the original poster in the other thread would have been much more satisfied if the explanation given was more than a "no, sorry." The reasons expressed here - info lost on computer switches, stock geometry - check serial number for an S and then it's 73 degrees etc may well have avoided these threads in the first place. So perhaps a little phone receptionist training/information cheat sheets would be in order.

BengeBoy
12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Threads about other threads are always interesting.

Is it OK if I start another thread asking the mods to close this thread?

:banana: :banana:

sjbraun
12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
This time, I think the mods were correct. StellaBlue was just stirring the pot for the sake of...???

Lifelover
12-10-2010, 11:12 PM
It's pretty easy to beat up Serotta about customer service over this but what I don't understand is what purpose does the number serve if the OP has the frame in hand. I don't even think Sachs measures this angle. It is what it is!

Anything he needs to know about the frame is a tape measure away. It really is asking them to spend time researching what is effectively useless information. As a potential customer I'm glad to hear that they didn't jump to provide it.