PDA

View Full Version : may i just say...i love winter riding

spiderman
12-09-2010, 04:42 PM
even though it seemed like it might kill us
clydesdale and i got out at noon for a nice ride...
here's a shot of my collection of snow
and my sidi winter boots
that i'm breaking in...

if you want to sing his jingle bell jingle
go to
www.cyclingthelakes.blogspot.com

and moderators--don't let him talk you into
deleting the thread, either!

Louis
12-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I've always known that some small proportion of the folks on this forum are certifiably insane. Now I know where Mr. Spiderman is on the list. ;)

rice rocket
12-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Do you need to cycle through all the chainrings and rear cogs systematically so you don't come up on a situation where you're locked out of a gear b/c of ice buildup?

gone
12-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Do you need to cycle through all the chainrings and rear cogs systematically so you don't come up on a situation where you're locked out of a gear b/c of ice buildup?

You eventually end up with a single speed pretty much no matter what you do via a combination of:

Shifters are frozen in position
Cables are caked with crap and frozen in position
Rear derailleur is caked with crap and frozen in position
Rider is caked with crap and frozen in position

We had 3-4 inches here in SW Wisconsin today and (quoted from Weather Underground):

Friday Night
Chance of light snow in the evening...then snow likely...possibly mixed with freezing rain and sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Ice accumulation of less than one tenth of an inch.

Saturday
Snow. Significant snow accumulation possible. Highs in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning... shifting to the northwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Saturday Night
Light snow likely in the evening...then chance of light snow after midnight. Patchy blowing snow through the night. Lows near 5 above. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent. Wind chill readings 15 below to 20 below zero.

Just lovely :D

rustychisel
12-09-2010, 08:22 PM
could you not, y'know, move somewhere nicer?

Just sayin'

AngryScientist
12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
nice pics, its not that cold here yet, but its coming!

97CSI
12-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I've always known that some small proportion of the folks on this forum are certifiably insane. Now I know where Mr. Spiderman is on the list. ;)Amen.

nice pics, its not that cold here yet, but its coming!C'mon...... definitely been cold enough down here in the south end of the state. Just been dry. Sunday will change all of that. But, supposed to be warm enough to be just a miserable cold rain. Winter...... you can have mine. :fight:

spiderman
12-09-2010, 09:05 PM

A week or two ago I tore up my second long cage rd of the season...
Tired of buying new parts
I took the shimano ss conversion set up off one of my pugsleys
And am running middle ring/18t for the immediate future on the uni.
I am plenty slow but got through the route without too much trouble!

Louis and 97csi
Yes...my nurse makes me go--so I can come back and bring sanity to the insanity
We encounter all day long!
She was pretty excited for me today--with the temp being above freezing
And just glad I came back!

And greg...yes, yes and more yes.

I have thought many times about living in a nicer climate...rusty--by moving
Further north where the skiing is better earlier and stays around a lot longer!
--but the days are too short for too long way up there for my taste...
The countdown to the winter solstice is in full swing!
The daylight hours will soon turn the corner

93legendti
12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Me too. I have a pile o clothes ready for Friday's ride and I'm anxious to try out my new Power Stretch socks from Foxwear.

gone
12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
could you not, y'know, move somewhere nicer?

I did. I moved here!

spiderman
12-09-2010, 10:03 PM
nice pics, its not that cold here yet, but its coming!

It is amazing what you can do with the phone these days...
I grew up in a newspaper shop
Developing film and making photographic etchings
Setting type on the linotype or by hand for the headers...
Just today I was thing what a hoot it is
That I can shoot a pic of my bb covered in snow
And blog it to our local readership
In the time it takes to travel 100 yards
While still riding the bike through snowdrifts!

KeithS
12-09-2010, 10:14 PM
The 10:00 news tonight started with the weather. The weather guys get really excited when there is a snow storm moving in.

If you don't embrace winter here in the frozen north you'd go nuts as Spiderman said it brings back sanity with these short days and long nights. We are taking a long weekend in January on the North Shore of Lake Superior even if it's too cold to ski it's still great to sit by the fire and read a book.

Still wouldn't ride in this, James you are a better man than me. I have to settle for spinning at the shop all winter. I can use all 20 gears if I like.

Johny
12-09-2010, 10:35 PM
28 inches of snow here already. Great for cross country skiing.

Rode to work this Monday but my left knee is a bit swollen due to a non-cycling related accident so I am taking it easy.

weisan
12-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Spidey-pal is made of...shall we say, a different stuff.

http://www.boxfont.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/spiderman4.jpg

This year I have basically chicken out, especially with the new Tacx virtual reality trainer, I am hooked to the real life video. I have ridden on different sections of the same route taken along Milan San-Remo, and gained a better appreciation of just how tough the whole course is. As a diehard roller kind-of-guy who couldn't tolerate anything more than 15 mins on a trainer, I have to admit, it's actually kind of fun and so far I have managed to stretch my training to 30-45 minutes depending on which part of the "Pro" training program I am in. :D
http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/00000001/product_images/WT/WT1999.jpg

A very kind forum pal (Leoner) has agreed to send me additional videos...
My Ventoux would be my next target :hello:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/trisports/alpineclassic.jpg

rwsaunders
12-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Spiderman....time or a new Winter toy...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/taking-the-bond-bike-for-a-spin-in-the-snow-28644

rugbysecondrow
12-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Winter riding is a lot of fun. I dont ride as often, but I really enjoy it when I do.

spiderman
12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Spidey-pal is made of...shall we say, a different stuff.

http://www.boxfont.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/spiderman4.jpg

This year I have basically chicken out, especially with the new Tacx virtual reality trainer, I am hooked to the real life video. I have ridden on different sections of the same route taken along Milan San-Remo, and gained a better appreciation of just how tough the whole course is. As a diehard roller kind-of-guy who couldn't tolerate anything more than 15 mins on a trainer, I have to admit, it's actually kind of fun and so far I have managed to stretch my training to 30-45 minutes depending on which part of the "Pro" training program I am in. :D
http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/00000001/product_images/WT/WT1999.jpg

A very kind forum pal (Leoner) has agreed to send me additional videos...
My Ventoux would be my next target :hello:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/trisports/alpineclassic.jpg

if i were better with graphics
i'd paint weisan on the road...!
you make that sound pretty good...
and so much safer!

rw-i've seen a bike like that in action--
at the time i thought it looked a little out of my league
kind of like real mountain biking
--but you're right--
that would be a great winter toy!
hope my wife is watching...

Ray
12-10-2010, 09:13 AM
I used to like winter riding. Or at least I used to like myself better when I did a lot of it. I'm not sure I ever really liked it, but I endured it. Then, at some point, I realized I didn't actually like it. And over time, I ramped it down. Now, I don't even try. In fact, I mentally enjoy having a part of the year where bikes and riding aren't even really part of my mentality - they used to be such an obsession. I walk in the winter. A lot. Its one of the few things I can do where the activity itself makes me warmer rather than colder - riding the wind chills tended to counteract the body heat - below freezing I tended to be pretty miserable, even with the right gear. Now I almost never ride below 40 and that only happens in late February or early March when I've started to go a bit cabin crazy and really start wanting to get out. Then I'll bundle up and go for rides on those days it crawls up into the 40s and I don't love it but it does feel really good to start those old motions back up again.

The only time I think I ever really enjoyed riding in snow was a commute home after a freak snowfall. It was only 2-3 inches but it was incredibly slick for some reason - right combination of moisture content / temperature / whatever - and traffic was at an absolute standstill. Worst I've ever seen. NOBODY was moving. And I was on my old Riv All-Rounder, which I had skinny tires on that day. And the skinny tires were able to cut right through to pavement and I actually had incredibly good traction. I had to go kind of easy in the corners, but the straights were no problem at all, even slight climbs and downhills were ok. So I'm just riding along pretty easily past the looooooong lines of stuck traffic, all of these folks in their cages feeling completely helpless and I'm feeling as free and independent and liberated as a bird. it was great fun - rode an extra few miles around town just to survey the damage and enjoy the day. Had offers to buy my bike too. That was the only time it was ever really fun though, riding in the snow. Ice could be fun with studded tires, as long as there were no cars around that could lose control and slide into you... Now, none of that works for me. So it goes.

-Ray

dogdriver
12-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Random comments on previous posts in this thread:

I guess that the Western snow doesn't stick as bad...

Snow riding is a great way to log base "time" (can't really think in miles, because I'm going so freakin' slow) and I find it easier to reman sane on this vs. a trainer.

To maintain shifting in the sludge, I've had good luck with Thumbies and bar end shifters. An equally good option is Grip Shift-- lots of guys in the frigid arctic use Grip because it fits better under the bar mounted hand hoodys. If it gets THAT cold (along with discussions of what to do when your freewheel grease freezes), I'm staying inside...

gemship
12-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I used to like winter riding. Or at least I used to like myself better when I did a lot of it. I'm not sure I ever really liked it, but I endured it. Then, at some point, I realized I didn't actually like it. And over time, I ramped it down. Now, I don't even try. In fact, I mentally enjoy having a part of the year where bikes and riding aren't even really part of my mentality - they used to be such an obsession. I walk in the winter. A lot. Its one of the few things I can do where the activity itself makes me warmer rather than colder - riding the wind chills tended to counteract the body heat - below freezing I tended to be pretty miserable, even with the right gear. Now I almost never ride below 40 and that only happens in late February or early March when I've started to go a bit cabin crazy and really start wanting to get out. Then I'll bundle up and go for rides on those days it crawls up into the 40s and I don't love it but it does feel really good to start those old motions back up again.

The only time I think I ever really enjoyed riding in snow was a commute home after a freak snowfall. It was only 2-3 inches but it was incredibly slick for some reason - right combination of moisture content / temperature / whatever - and traffic was at an absolute standstill. Worst I've ever seen. NOBODY was moving. And I was on my old Riv All-Rounder, which I had skinny tires on that day. And the skinny tires were able to cut right through to pavement and I actually had incredibly good traction. I had to go kind of easy in the corners, but the straights were no problem at all, even slight climbs and downhills were ok. So I'm just riding along pretty easily past the looooooong lines of stuck traffic, all of these folks in their cages feeling completely helpless and I'm feeling as free and independent and liberated as a bird. it was great fun - rode an extra few miles around town just to survey the damage and enjoy the day. Had offers to buy my bike too. That was the only time it was ever really fun though, riding in the snow. Ice could be fun with studded tires, as long as there were no cars around that could lose control and slide into you... Now, none of that works for me. So it goes.

-Ray

I'm only 36 and I can totally relate. It seems like when the temp. drops below 35 my feet, the toes get really cold. I get this foot sweat combined with poor circulation and they just feel really unpleasant. I will still ride but more out of necessity and I ride with either nice heavy socks made for winter hiking and hiking boots or in my sneakers with regular cotton socks, in other words my "fred outfit". I do enjoy lots of walking this time of year.

CNY rider
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm at work now.
Left home this AM it was 8F on the thermometer. Rode the 2 miles Giant Slalom style downhill on our snow covered country road uneventfully. The rest of the way in was a piece of cake.
Looking forward to doing it in reverse later.

93legendti
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I just came back from a ride in 1-2" of snow. I had everything right, EXCEPT the tire pressure in my 35c CX tires, which seemed a bit low. I hate stopping if I really don't need to, so I just got on with it. I didn't slide out or anything-I was just worried about hitting a pot hole covered in snow and picking up a pinch flat.

For me, half of the fun of winter riding in temps between 20 and 32 degrees is the mix and match of clothing to get the comfort factor right for the conditions. Below 20 degrees, it's hard for me to go wrong-just throw an extra layer everywhere and use my warmest stuff.

rugbysecondrow
12-10-2010, 11:46 AM

-Ray

I understand. I like riding, but it is a slower ride on my MTB or SS typically. About once a week I will get out and stretch my legs, enjoy the fresh air and take in the winter. I think my enjoyment goes back to being a kid and having a paper route. Being on the bike made getting up at 4:45 am almost enjoyable, making the first tracks in the snow, being out when nobody else was, it was like the world was mine.

gemship
12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I understand. I like riding, but it is a slower ride on my MTB or SS typically. About once a week I will get out and stretch my legs, enjoy the fresh air and take in the winter. I think my enjoyment goes back to being a kid and having a paper route. Being on the bike made getting up at 4:45 am almost enjoyable, making the first tracks in the snow, being out when nobody else was, it was like the world was mine.

I had a paper route once. Where I live delivering papers by bicycle has become a thing of the past. Now the routes have been combined and there is this grown man that does it in his Subaru Forester, can't wrap my head around that.

rugbysecondrow
12-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I had a paper route once. Where I live delivering papers by bicycle has become a thing of the past. Now the routes have been combined and there is this grown man that does it in his Subaru Forester, can't wrap my head around that.

Yep, there is almost no high school workforce where I live. All my friends had jobs growing up, but I am not certain where my kids will work when they are. Are ditch diggers still needed? :)

Charles M
12-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Today
Dec 10

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/30.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy

HIGH 77°
LOW 52°
PRECIP 0%

spiderman
12-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Snow riding is a great way to log base "time" (can't really think in miles, because I'm going so freakin' slow) and I find it easier to reman sane on this vs. a trainer.

To maintain shifting in the sludge, I've had good luck with Thumbies and bar end shifters. An equally good option is Grip Shift-- lots of guys in the frigid arctic use Grip because it fits better under the bar mounted hand hoodys. If it gets THAT cold (along with discussions of what to do when your freewheel grease freezes), I'm staying inside...

well, we went back out for round 2
and the conditions were a little more difficult.
my wife came out on the tmax and clydesdale
was back on his IF/nokians.
i had my pugsley
and it seemed to float over everything.
although i wiped out twice
it was more from lack of attention
and a little overconfidence with the suburban of winter bikes!

obtw, i had a paper route, too
and loved riding my captain america bike
all winter long...had great wire panniers on the rear!
my big sister was in charge of giving me rides when the weather was bad...
...she always encouraged me to ride the bike...

ILikeTi
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Spiderman talked me into riding in the snow today. You'll notice the smile on his face...but I decided (after the third time that I fell into a drift) that I am going to hang the bike up in the garage until Spring.

PS How do you know when you have the right bike for winter riding?? The tires are twice the circumference of your calf. Looks like Spidey found a winner.

oliver1850
12-10-2010, 11:51 PM

Good point about the freewheel grease sticking the pawls. I've had that, out in the middle of nowhere. Absolutely helpless, you can beat on it, kick it, but it's not gonna work. Bike ride turns into a nice walk.

Spiderman: nice pics. The fat tire bike looks like the thing to have.

spiderman
12-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Good point about the freewheel grease sticking the pawls. I've had that, out in the middle of nowhere. Absolutely helpless, you can beat on it, kick it, but it's not gonna work. Bike ride turns into a nice walk.

Spiderman: nice pics. The fat tire bike looks like the thing to have.

Thanks...and you are right about the frozen freewheel...nice thing about the pug
Is the threaded hub/fixed cog option you can run on the front wheel
For just such a situation! A fixed pug just to crawl home is a great idea!

My white industries double double setup just arrived...should be fun to try.
Now I'll have to get another threaded/fixed wheel to run my fixed backup option
Or look into a ski as suggested earlier in the thread!

More posts of forum winter rides and their riders (iliketi-where's t-max??)
Would be fun to see.
I'm stuck on the couch in a blizzard right now
And not sure I'll get out
Unless someone comes by and invites me out to play
Or a fellow forumite posts their antics of the day!
...Can't even think about rollers...

KeithS
12-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Went out to clean up the snow so i could get to spinning at the shop. It started snowing last night around 10. We got a bunch. 9" by my driveway method. I blew the snow off my driveway and a few neighbors, in an hour or so I had another two inches. We are supposed to get another 10 or so before it stops. I like blizzards..

spiderman
12-11-2010, 03:03 PM
To my measurement
We have 6" of new snow 14 degrees, 40-52 mph winds and -28 wind chill!
Clydesdale and I were out for just under an hour and covered about a mile!
Ouch!
Just about ready to get out the big yankees...or when the wind dies down
The skis may be just the ticket!

dimsy
12-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Spiderman....time or a new Winter toy...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/taking-the-bond-bike-for-a-spin-in-the-snow-28644

i want... my $2!!

http://www.xenafan.com/movies/bod/images/johnny05.jpg
http://www.xenafan.com/movies/bod/images/johnny14.jpg

93legendti
12-11-2010, 07:00 PM
How are studded tires in deep snow? I have a set of Nokians, I always thought I'd use them for icy conditions. Seeing some of these pics, maybe studs are the answer in deep stuff?

spiderman
12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Unless it's the loosely packed stuff...I plan to try out the studs tomorrow!

93legendti
12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Unless it's the loosely packed stuff...I plan to try out the studs tomorrow!
Looking forward to your report!
What tire pressure do you run in your tires?

93legendti
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
We had more snow fall last night and today, but it's 33 degrees and wet snow is still falling. My kids were playing outside and came back in completely soaked. This is about the only winter weather I won't ride in. :crap:

spiderman
12-12-2010, 06:34 PM
The wind was still wailing...wind chill was below 30 below!
I dressed for it and when I found the trail loosely packed
From snowmobile traffic, headed back to the icy/snow packed road.
I was feeling pretty good and had what seemed like plenty of time.
I rode a 16 mile loop around the lake that typically takes 45 minutes--
--took me all of two hours with the road drifting shut on the north shore!
I made it just in time for the high school christmas concert...
Toes were finally warm when the audience was invited up
To sing the Halleluia chorus!
...Psi on the nokians 50 fore/40 aft...slow but secure!

93legendti
12-12-2010, 06:45 PM
...Psi on the nokians 50 fore/40 aft...slow but secure!

Thanks, the snow has turned crunchy, so I'm gonna rock my Nokians on Monday. I was thinking 45/40...I think mine are 35c.

spiderman
12-12-2010, 09:39 PM
And are rated to 65psi...I don't usually ride them at that pressure
Especially since I'm single speed for now and climbing
quite a few icy slopes
--To keep it safe on the ice--
i don't know about you
but signs like this one
really hurt my feeling...

spiderman
12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
as it turns out
letting air out of the tires helps the pugsley ride better
in loosely packed snow.
we've decided a few more passes on the snowmobile
will help groom the trail
for a better pugsley course!

dogdriver
12-14-2010, 03:19 PM
as it turns out
letting air out of the tires helps the pugsley ride better
in loosely packed snow.
we've decided a few more passes on the snowmobile
will help groom the trail
for a better pugsley course!

Yeah, I'm 190 lbs and ride the tire pressure ranging from 16psi on firm surface all the way down to 8psi on the soft stuff. At 8 pounds, I can shove my thumb into the sidewall about as deep as my thumbnail (3/4 inch or so). Usually start with the tires firm and let air out if flotation or traction becomes an issue...

93legendti
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I'm 190 lbs and ride the tire pressure ranging from 16psi on firm surface all the way down to 8psi on the soft stuff. At 8 pounds, I can shove my thumb into the sidewall about as deep as my thumbnail (3/4 inch or so). Usually start with the tires firm and let air out if flotation or traction becomes an issue...
When I got back from my ride a few days ago I realized the psi was ~20 per tire. I can't fathom that I didn't have a pinch flat given some of the snow obscured pot holes I rode over. OTOH, the deeper the snow over, the better the ride was.

spiderman
12-14-2010, 07:26 PM
When I got back from my ride a few days ago I realized the psi was ~20 per tire. I can't fathom that I didn't have a pinch flat given some of the snow obscured pot holes I rode over. OTOH, the deeper the snow over, the better the ride was.

never had a pinch flat
and was starting to think the pug was somehow immune to flats
that is, until i took a nail in my front tire
and developed a slow leak!
after patching the tube
it's holding up fine...
at some point i'll need to change it out
but i kind of want to see how long my repair will last!

dogdriver
12-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Yeah, I fear the same thing-- carry a spare tube but fear the thought of a field flat fix (its tough enough in the living room). That said, I rode about a mile of bare dirt/rocks today on the way to the snow with nary a problem. 3 inches of air cushion solves a lot of problems-- I fear wearing out those expensive tires much more than a flat (knock wood)...

spiderman
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I fear the same thing-- carry a spare tube but fear the thought of a field flat fix (its tough enough in the living room). That said, I rode about a mile of bare dirt/rocks today on the way to the snow with nary a problem. 3 inches of air cushion solves a lot of problems-- I fear wearing out those expensive tires much more than a flat (knock wood)...
but the sheer size of the larry and the spare tube
keep me from portaging them...
i hear you...
taking off an endomorph in the friendly confines
was enough of a wrestling match...
...there was a time that i thought i might have to cave.
but a brooks tire iron and a metal, long handled bottle opener
(mini crow bar)
helped me get the upper hand!

93legendti
12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dutch_Bike_Co_Weblog/post/Seattle_Snowpocalypse/

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/images/bloggages/snow_rclose_blog.jpg

spiderman
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM
http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dutch_Bike_Co_Weblog/post/Seattle_Snowpocalypse/

http://www.dutchbikeco.com/images/bloggages/snow_rclose_blog.jpg

now just finding zip ties large enough for the large marge!@

93legendti
12-14-2010, 09:44 PM
now just finding zip ties large enough for the large marge!@
You can combine 2 zips to make a longer one. I've seen zips that were really long at Home Depot.

Yeah, I'm curious to try it. You could add a small pliers and zip ties to your seat bag and install them or cut them as needed.

rice rocket
12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Hope you don't flat... :o

spiderman
12-15-2010, 09:28 AM
making a set of chains
and starting out with the front first
then adding the second if needed!

93legendti
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
I just did a 90 minute ride on ice/hard pack glazed snow, on my Hors CX with Nokian tires. The Nokians are amazing on slick stuff.

My Hors doesn't have proper fenders. When I got off the bike at the end of the ride, I realized why it seemed like the Nokians had so much rolling resistance-there was a buildup of snow/ice between the seat tube and the rear tire. :crap: :crap:

oliver1850
12-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I did 20 on the mtn. bike yesterday. Didn't get 3 miles before a patch of ice sent me to the pavement. Blacktop sure is hard this time of year.

93legendti
12-16-2010, 09:32 PM
I did 20 on the mtn. bike yesterday. Didn't get 3 miles before a patch of ice sent me to the pavement. Blacktop sure is hard this time of year.
Did you get hurt?

So's the ice. I took my kids sledding Tuesday and the hill looked like it had been hosed down. My son fell off his sled and came up howling 'cuz he hit his knee on the ice/hard snow. I was watching and it looked innocent, but the ground was HARD.

oliver1850
12-16-2010, 10:51 PM
just scraped a bit. one kneecap is a bit sore.

bike got some damage, which is not going to heal.

spiderman
12-17-2010, 10:53 PM

anything that you can capture digitally??
i know what you mean about black ice.
the worst spot in town is my very own sidewalk!
i had the pug scoot out from under me
as i was coming home yesterday
and i slid into my front steps
and just laid there a few minutes admiring my old oak trees.
...kinda stunned me...

xjoex
12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Today was my first ride of the year with studs on.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/riding/IMG_2737.jpg

I wouldn't say I love riding in the winter... but I like the adventure.

-Joe

93legendti
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM

OUCH! Sorry to hear that...

shoe
12-18-2010, 08:49 PM
so i was out surfing earlier this week in the mid 20's(temp) and i saw a guy go by on a road bike...and i thought to myself...man that looks cold

spiderman
12-18-2010, 09:44 PM
the conversations we crazy winter riders have
with even crazier ice fishermen...here's a shot from earlier in the winter
while i was waiting for the guys to clear out
when they found the ice they were standing on under 3 inches thick
and we all heard the ice pop and crack under their weight!

so joe,
were you riding nokians??
did you find any icy stretches to try out?
if you try to cross the lake
make sure to keep going until you get across.
last winter i rode to the middle and tried to put a foot down.
it was too slick to stand up
and was very difficult starting back up again...

spiderman
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
we did our usual lake lap
and even though we both felt as comfy as any lake lap in summer
there was something extaordinary about todays winter ride!
we rode counter clockwise around the lake and experienced very little
in terms of traffic...it almost felt like the rest of the town was as awestruck
as i am with the new bike

spiderman
12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
after years of yearning for a terraplane
and wanting to try a dos eno drivetrain
but never thinking of them as the perfect combination
for winter riding...i rebuilt the kirk
with my old white industries rear hub/tubular mavic rims
and a dugast cross 28 and a studded nimble spider up front.
the combination is the absoluted sweetest winter ride ever!
maybe it's just that it's feeling warm, the wind is mild
and the sun is shining brightly...
...it could also be that we've reached the winter solstice
and the daylight hours will be increasing now daily!
the dos eno requires a tight enough chain tension
that i have to loosen the rear bolt in order to move it
to the easier off-road gear for riding on the snowy trail.
easier said than done!
running the chain just loose enough to move it over
gives me too much slack in the chain
and drivetrain becomes sloppy, if you know what i mean.
i'll keep tweaking it
and let you know how it goes, but so far
the 38/16 was nice for almost everything i tried today!

weisan
12-22-2010, 09:41 PM
http://images5.cpcache.com/product/104215985v7_480x480_Front.jpg

snah
12-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Did the same today, about 30 on the mtn bike, made it 3 houses down the street and hit the pavement.

spiderman
12-23-2010, 02:10 PM
http://images5.cpcache.com/product/104215985v7_480x480_Front.jpg

that's what i've been waiting for...
...now i'm off to ski for the remainder of the winter!

93legendti
12-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Did the same today, about 30 on the mtn bike, made it 3 houses down the street and hit the pavement.
What psi are you running?

I've been playing around with tire pressure and feel more sure footed than ever. Bontrager 35c CX tires at ~20 psi seems to work well in snow and slush. If the streets have ice, the studded 35c Nokian CX tires at ~25psi work well.

spiderman
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I've been playing around with tire pressure and feel more sure footed than ever. Bontrager 35c CX tires at ~20 psi seems to work well in snow and slush. If the streets have ice, the studded 35c Nokian CX tires at ~25psi work well.

for three seasons now
i've wanted to try the dos enos drivetrain on the pugsley...
however, the existing single speed white industries freewheel was frozen in place. after following several tips from a favorite forumite
i was able to remove the freewheel
which started the cascade of drivetrain change...
the existing bottom bracket was equally challenging.
the phil wood bottom bracket and the white industries double double
are now installed and are purring along nicely.
i was able to set the chain length such that the switch
from the 38/16 to the 35/19 is pretty easy and actually
is ideal without the chain tensioner!
earlier in the day i tried the lake with an 8" base of snow
and had a tough time with my front wheel bogging down.
i had a big larry tire that i picked up as a spare
so i decided to install it with a new tube
as the previous tube had been punctured by a large nail and repaired
several weeks ago.
i ran the front at 15 and the rear at 10 psi.
i rode to the lake in the 38/16
and once i hit the snowy tundra
switched over to the 35/19
and found the going much easier than earlier in the day.
mission accomplished!
here's how she looks after the drivetrain and front tire update: :D

Bob Loblaw
12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I love winter riding. No rushing, just rolling along chatting and swapping stories. I'm so used to the cold, I don't even wear a jacket unless it's below 23 degrees, just a couple of layers top and bottom.

This was taken as the Big Blizzard started to hit CT. You can't really tell, but it is snowing, and the white stuff blowing around the pavement is newly fallen snow. I'm in the middle in the white and red Lanterne Rouge jersey. It was 27 degrees at the time this pic was taken, according to my Cateye.

BL

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs694.snc4/63408_486966647491_352235432491_5801859_2622083_n. jpg

spiderman
12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I love winter riding. No rushing, just rolling along chatting and swapping stories. I'm so used to the cold, I don't even wear a jacket unless it's below 23 degrees, just a couple of layers top and bottom.

This was taken as the Big Blizzard started to hit CT. You can't really tell, but it is snowing, and the white stuff blowing around the pavement is newly fallen snow. I'm in the middle in the white and red Lanterne Rouge jersey. It was 27 degrees at the time this pic was taken, according to my Cateye.

BL

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs694.snc4/63408_486966647491_352235432491_5801859_2622083_n. jpg

that shot really captures it!
pure simplicity
--strong work--

Jack Brunk
12-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Love winter too. Just got 20 miles of single track in with the temps in the high 40's before an incoming storm. First time using the new Exposure light Diablo and man it's a fantastic 900 lumen helmet light. 4 ozs self contained and did I say bright? Never used the bright as medium setting was more than enough. Love the dirt!

snah
12-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Think at the time I was running about 30 psi on some Hutchinsons. Only dicey part of my ride is the 1/2 mile getting out of my neighborhood. Once I make it to the main road, I'm golden.

snah
12-28-2010, 10:46 PM

BL

Not sure how you manage the 20's with just a couple layers. In the 20's I'm wearing a base, jersey and jacket, 2 layers on the bottom. Below that I throw on the wind vest and possibly arm and knee warmers. Problem I'm having this year are the fingers, can't get the right glove to keep'em toasty.

BTW, great photo. :beer:

93legendti
12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Not sure how you manage the 20's with just a couple layers. In the 20's I'm wearing a base, jersey and jacket, 2 layers on the bottom. Below that I throw on the wind vest and possibly arm and knee warmers. Problem I'm having this year are the fingers, can't get the right glove to keep'em toasty.

Me too. Try mittens

Bob Loblaw
12-29-2010, 06:54 AM

Have you tried Pear Izumi's lobster gloves? They have plenty of room for a liner too. I almost never wear mine because my hands sweat in them if it's warmer than 15F or so, but I do tend to run warm. If you're having a cold finger problem and you haven't tried them, do.

BL

spiderman
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM

i've used pi lobster gloves for years...
since installing my bar mitts pictured above
i have just been using my smart wool gloves
and have had not had a problem.
when the raw temps dip below freezing again
i may go back to lobsters in mitts
but it hasn't been necessary yet!
nice thing about the mitts
is they can be installed on road or mountain bars...

snah
12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Have you tried Pear Izumi's lobster gloves? They have plenty of room for a liner too. I almost never wear mine because my hands sweat in them if it's warmer than 15F or so, but I do tend to run warm. If you're having a cold finger problem and you haven't tried them, do.

BL

Appreciate the recommendation. Had a pair many, many years ago and really kinda forgot about the lobsters.

spiderman
12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Me too. Try mittens

i'm ready for bib shorts and a long sleeve jersey!

93legendti
12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
i'm ready for bib shorts and a long sleeve jersey!
I'm waiting for pics...

93legendti
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I had a great ride today. It was crisp with a light wind and I got the layering formula right (hood over the helmet was the key). I would have gone longer but had to be home to pay the babysitter.

I'm probably down to ~15psi in both tires...I swear I felt the rear tire bottom out a few times. It was a good psi for a mix of slush, snow, ice and pavement.

spiderman
12-29-2010, 03:27 PM
I had a great ride today. It was crisp with a light wind and I got the layering formula right (hood over the helmet was the key). I would have gone longer but had to be home to pay the babysitter.

I'm probably down to ~15psi in both tires...I swear I felt the rear tire bottom out a few times. It was a good psi for a mix of slush, snow, ice and pavement.

i just finished up my second delivery of the day
...couldn't ride at noon anticipating a baby
but probably could've squeezed one in looking back on the timing--
i may have to take the long way home.

93legendti
12-29-2010, 03:34 PM
i just finished up my second delivery of the day
...couldn't ride at noon anticipating a baby
but probably could've squeezed one in looking back on the timing--
i may have to take the long way home.
You gotta push the potosin (sic?)...my wife's doc did, 'cuz he wanted to make sure he was home for dinner when he was delivering our 2 kids...

spiderman
12-29-2010, 04:23 PM
You gotta push the potosin (sic?)...my wife's doc did, 'cuz he wanted to make sure he was home for dinner when he was delivering our 2 kids...

until after office hours...
...it's a good thing that third babies delivery pretty quickly sometimes.
i made it back without being missed too much.
enough time right now to consider the next winter ride upgrade!
surly pugsley fenders http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=d64dfirn19bk13aomcrcphn7m6

93legendti
12-29-2010, 07:27 PM
nice fenders

93legendti
12-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Roads are a sheet of ice today-so far my wife has forbidden me from riding...for now.

spiderman
12-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Roads are a sheet of ice today-so far my wife has forbidden me from riding...for now.

i distracted her by talk of new wooden pugsley fenders...
psi of about 5 on the pug isn't too bad on a sheet of ice! :o

93legendti
12-30-2010, 09:00 AM
i distracted her by talk of new wooden pugsley fenders...
psi of about 5 on the pug isn't too bad on a sheet of ice! :o
Either that or studed tires...my wife is worried about sliding cars hitting me...temps are going up to 40 today, so i can wait... :cool:

spiderman
12-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Either that or studed tires...my wife is worried about sliding cars hitting me...temps are going up to 40 today, so i can wait... :cool:

the big larry front tire on the pugsley that is...
i was cruising along at top speed on the pug
while riding on the frozen lake...
yesterday the temp was 45 degrees and the thaw was on...
today we were back to 3 degrees when i took off for my daily ride.
after making several saves
i went splat on the pure sheet of ice that is now east lake okoboji--
i am sure i would've stayed upright with about a hundred
screws strategically placed in the nobby section of the front larry tire!
i then rode some trail...the toughest section
that i spun out on earlier in the season, over thanksgiving
on the nokians...
but was ablt to make it, seated on the pugsley
with the tire pressure 5 up front and 10 psi in the rear...
the first shot is the top of that little climb.
i then rode out to the hogsback recreational area
where the groomed cross country ski trail had been ruined by
the same ice melt phenomenon.
as the snow accumulated...less than an inch
it gave the pug great traction.
i was able to climb with a vengence out there
and only put a foot down when i ran off the trail
into the deep snow that the groomer hadn't touched.
the last pic is at the scenic overlook on the bike trail
with the snowmobile trail leading to the hogsback...
probably only 10 miles in all...and 2.5 hours in the making
best workout of the year imho...
happy new year riding partners!
love
spidey

oliver1850
01-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the pics.

Wondered if the thaw had made it that far. Most of the snow and ice is gone here now, in only 2 days. I rode the roads Thursday with fendered bike. Roads were wet, but only a few icy spots. Lots of fog drifting off the snow. Really needed to get some other things done Friday, but got out for 20 as the sun was going down. Must have been over 50, I was soaking wet. High of 24 Saturday, but next week is looking good for some rides, with no precip. and highs in the 30s.

93legendti
01-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm missing the snow now:
52 degrees, rain, fog and 110% humidity...

Sunday:
high of 27 degrees with snow

Spidey:
Your Pugsley looks like a ton o fun. I think you could probably ride those tires with zero psi!

spiderman
01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm missing the snow now:
52 degrees, rain, fog and 110% humidity...

Sunday:
high of 27 degrees with snow

Spidey:
Your Pugsley looks like a ton o fun. I think you could probably ride those tires with zero psi!

not only does it help to have better grip with the tires
but with the mix of snow and ice
better grip on the shoes is helpful...
first for walking the bike uphill if needed
the other for stepping through snowbanks
...almost like a paddle stroke through water...
here's my latest solution:
the yaktrax!
you've gotta love these things

93legendti
01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
not only does it help to have better grip with the tires
but with the mix of snow and ice
better grip on the shoes is helpful...
first for walking the bike uphill if needed
the other for stepping through snowbanks
...almost like a paddle stroke through water...
here's my latest solution:
the yaktrax!
you've gotta love these things
I want to get a pair of those Yaks...I have a partially torn ACL and a slip on ice could damage it further.
Do they work?

spiderman
01-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I want to get a pair of those Yaks...I have a partially torn ACL and a slip on ice could damage it further.
Do they work?

yes, the yaks are a perfect solution to the traction problem
and are smooth in and out of the candy pedals on the pugsley!
solid, sure footing even on the slickest spots!

93legendti
01-01-2011, 10:27 PM
yes, the yaks are a perfect solution to the traction problem
and are smooth in and out of the candy pedals on the pugsley!
solid, sure footing even on the slickest spots!
Thanks..I need to make a trip to REI and get some. I NEVER would have thought to use them on winter cycling shoes, but it's a very smart idea.

spiderman
01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
I can't believe it took me from christmas day
Until new years day to think about trying them...
I guess necessity is the mother of invention.
After crawling on the ice on new year's eve to a stretch
Of snow where I could stand up on the lake...
The yaks danced like sugar plumbs in my head!
Hope to hear about how much you like them soon!

dogdriver
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
My good and "much studlier than me" friend Duff, on top my previous Pugsley, heading out for a winter combo riding/skinning/fall line backcountry tour. The ski rack is his fabrication. He said 8 mile ride, 2 mile ski approach, climbs and turns on the fall line, and return. Sweet. He intends to add a front rack on which to mount boots and even the load.

I had intended to sell this bike on the forum (even had a spiffy add ready), until Duff pilfered it out of my garage. Hadn't seen it until this pic. Looks like he's putting it to good use!

I continue to do laps in the back yard.

Best, Chris

spiderman
01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
My good and "much studlier than me" friend Duff, on top my previous Pugsley, heading out for a winter combo riding/skinning/fall line backcountry tour. The ski rack is his fabrication. He said 8 mile ride, 2 mile ski approach, climbs and turns on the fall line, and return. Sweet. He intends to add a front rack on which to mount boots and even the load.

I had intended to sell this bike on the forum (even had a spiffy add ready), until Duff pilfered it out of my garage. Hadn't seen it until this pic. Looks like he's putting it to good use!

I continue to do laps in the back yard.

Best, Chris

thanks chris for that...
...i have a new cycling/skiing hero!
i have thought about strapping my cross country skis
one on each side of my top tube with a couple toe straps each
but the boots are the deal breaker for me...
changing boots in below zero wind chill is not a good idea.
i'd really like to see a pedal that will accomodate my pilot bindings
...although i have seriously thought about taking a drill
to my atomic boa ski boots
and mounting a cleat for the candy pedals...
...i could be in business...
thanks for the inspiration!
i'll post pics when i tackle that one.
once we get a better snow to freshen up the groomed ski trail perhaps!

dogdriver
01-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, Spidey-- he is a stud.

A PVC pipe radiator clipped to the rear triangle (aimed aft of vertical) usually works pretty well for a ski rack. Interested to hear if your cleat retro works. In the meanwhile, a pair of studded BMX flats work fine-- I used them for 3 years before going to Lake boots and SPD's. I suspect that egg beaters would be better than SPD's on the snow, but there's too much Shimano around the house to re-tool, and I put SPD's on the road bike for winter rides with the Lakes...

spiderman
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
i originally had a little too much slack in the chain
but now that i've done a little more trial and error on the fly
i have the chain length and tension set optimally
so the chain can be moved from the 38/16 to the 35/19
without having to touch the quick release or even use
a chain tensioner...works great!
just thought if anyone else was considering this setup
for their ss rig(s)...
you would be encouraged to give it a try!

Britishbane
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
You all are hard men. I went out yesterday in the high twenty's and just about froze my hands off.

spiderman
01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
You all are hard men. I went out yesterday in the high twenty's and just about froze my hands off.

on new year's day i was out for a solo ride
and slipped into an ice rut.
the bike shot out from under me and i went backwards
landing so hard on my right flank i not only had the wind
knocked out of me
i seriously wondered if i had a ballpoint pen in my saddle bag
in case i needed to relieve a tension pneumothorax...
once i was able to breath and walk off the discomfort
i had a choice to make...
call for a ride
limp back home
finish the ride because my girls were meeting me out at the hogsback
where they planned to walk the loop...
i rode the full loop and met them on the way back to the car.
i walked my bike back with them...
after being on call and not really having time to check
i thought i'd better take a look at the damage.
it's hard to see from the phone picture...
but suffice it to say
i'm may be hard
but now i'm broken...

skijoring
01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Spidey, tell us what we're looking at? I already took two diggers this year but apart from scrapes and sore ribs I am fine. My 20 mile round trip commute is now a bus-bike hybrid.

Heal up Spidey. :beer: :)

spiderman
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Spidey, tell us what we're looking at? I already took two diggers this year but apart from scrapes and sore ribs I am fine. My 20 mile round trip commute is now a bus-bike hybrid.

Heal up Spidey. :beer: :)

...but i'm going to try and be sensible for a few days
and let things piece back together a bit...
it's hard to see rib detail
but the ribs at t11 and t12 are fractured
and the transverse process of L1 is also dinged...
my neurology friend reminds me
that the same impact dead center
instead of being slightly to the right--
i wouldn't have any choince in changing my ways...
pretty sobering thought :bike:

skijoring
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
...but i'm going to try and be sensible for a few days
and let things piece back together a bit...
it's hard to see rib detail
but the ribs at t11 and t12 are fractured
and the transverse process of L1 is also dinged...
my neurology friend reminds me
that the same impact dead center
instead of being slightly to the right--
i wouldn't have any choince in changing my ways...
pretty sobering thought :bike:

Like you I love to ride in the snow and cold and I have tapered a bit, while increasing skiing/weights/stretching. Again, heal up and keep the studded tires rollin'.

spiderman
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Like you I love to ride in the snow and cold and I have tapered a bit, while increasing skiing/weights/stretching. Again, heal up and keep the studded tires rollin'.

the pugsley is actually a softer ride
than driving my suburban to work today...
it's the twisting that bothers the most
somehow when i'm riding
i don't even feel it.
i may go home at noon
and consider 2.5 miles each way
good therapy
and active rest...

93legendti
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
on new year's day i was out for a solo ride
and slipped into an ice rut.
the bike shot out from under me and i went backwards
landing so hard on my right flank i not only had the wind
knocked out of me
i seriously wondered if i had a ballpoint pen in my saddle bag
in case i needed to relieve a tension pneumothorax...
once i was able to breath and walk off the discomfort
i had a choice to make...
call for a ride
limp back home
finish the ride because my girls were meeting me out at the hogsback
where they planned to walk the loop...
i rode the full loop and met them on the way back to the car.
i walked my bike back with them...
after being on call and not really having time to check
i thought i'd better take a look at the damage.
it's hard to see from the phone picture...
but suffice it to say
i'm may be hard
but now i'm broken...
yikes...I hope you heal up and feel better!

xjoex
01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Is there anything better than frozen mud?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/riding/IMG_3174.jpg

23°F and all of December's snow was melted.

Hope you heal up quickly Spiderman.

-Joe

Iceman
01-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Spiderman, put your bike outside and let it cool off before you ride and that will cut down on the snow buildup. Then go out and kick the crap out of the cross country skiers. I love the "I could have had a v-8" look on their faces.

Cry for the Iceman, for your winter is nothing compared to mine.
Remember crashing isn't cool, it just hurts.

spiderman
01-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Spiderman, put your bike outside and let it cool off before you ride and that will cut down on the snow buildup. Then go out and kick the crap out of the cross country skiers. I love the "I could have had a v-8" look on their faces.

Cry for the Iceman, for your winter is nothing compared to mine.
Remember crashing isn't cool, it just hurts.

i could've called for a ride
headed back home
or gone out to the cross country ski trail
to really leave some tracks...
...consequently, there's now a well worn pugsley trail
that leaves the place almost as pristine as the ski trail groomer!
here's a nice shot of a drift on the way out...
and a shot of the pre-pugsley ski trail.
hey, believe it or not
i'm headed to signature cycles today in nyc
the plan??
rapha winter cycling gear...
at least i'll try on something to see how it fits, right??
when in rome...

Iceman
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
In Alaska, we no have no stinkin pugly trail. All trails we have to share...ugh!
Iceman admit, when snow too deep he stay inside on trainer, sweat like dog.
Outside hard as rock, single digit cold now. Stud only Ya. Must dodge dog poop, not freeze at 32 like water.....ugh! Everyone in Alaska have dog and use my trail, no clean, nasty.....ugh!
Cry for Iceman, for he no cry, you must cry for him....Ya.

spiderman
01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
i actually i have less pain
when i ride with my new commuter pack
from across the hall.
i was able to pack my laptop, tuxedo for
the broadway preview of spiderman
and all i needed for a 4 day trip to nyc.
now i'm commuting with the pack
that does give a quite a bit of support to the
area of injury.
we've had about 8 inches of snow the last two days
and no school due to the blizzard
but being back on the bike
makes it seem like life is back to normal!

fiamme red
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Spiderman, you need to meet this guy:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110111/LIFE/101110330/1039/Cyclist-for-all-seasons

spiderman
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110111/LIFE/101110330/1039/Cyclist-for-all-seasons

that's going to really help explain to my wife
why 22 is a good number of bikes for a winter commuter,
why i'll be traveling to des moines to meet my new best friend,
why i'll be growing a really savage beard for winter riding
and why riding in for deliveries at 3am is the new winter riding standard!
that's great stuff
thanks for the link

alpsantos
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I love riding and running in the cold, especially in the snow!

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~asantos/Biking/Dsc145.JPG

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~asantos/Biking/snow1.JPG

spiderman
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I love riding and running in the cold, especially in the snow!

love the moots and your post in the custom bikes section
--and the winter riding shot is great--
how'd your light make such a
great pattern?? your photographer must have
been holding pretty still as you were steering away from them
and then straightening out the handlebars to get the shot straight ahead??

alpsantos
01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks spiderman!

The photo was self portrait. I put the camera on timer mode and shot with an external flash in rear synch mode to show the light trailing. Give it a shot next time you ride at night for cool affects!

love the moots and your post in the custom bikes section
--and the winter riding shot is great--
how'd your light make such a
great pattern?? your photographer must have
been holding pretty still as you were steering away from them
and then straightening out the handlebars to get the shot straight ahead??

snah
01-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Crappy Blackberry photo, but the end of a 27 mile commute/ride with about 5" of fresh snow.

spiderman
01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Crappy Blackberry photo, but the end of a 27 mile commute/ride with about 5" of fresh snow.

these blackberry shots are mid-ride on my return trip tonight...stuck in about my limit of soft stuff. wonder if i would have been able to drive through with a 31/19...maybe the 29er dos eno is going to have to be tried!
the good news...riding after work in the daylight! i couldn't see my shadow
so winter will be over soon...

Fixed
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM

aaum ...he"s married ?
cheers

snah
01-14-2011, 09:31 AM
these blackberry shots are mid-ride on my return trip tonight...stuck in about my limit of soft stuff. wonder if i would have been able to drive through with a 31/19...maybe the 29er dos eno is going to have to be tried!
the good news...riding after work in the daylight! i couldn't see my shadow
so winter will be over soon...

That is a serious kick a** machine. Been toying with the idea of a new mtb, the Paramount is about 20 years old and a little small for me.

spiderman
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
it seems to fit great and i enjoy riding it.
at times, though, i think too much about it...
...along the lines of what jack said in his mb thread
about fit, etc...and that most people have the road fit figured out
but are lacking in mb fit...
mb fit has always puzzled me
but i feel so balanced on this bike
that i wonder if anything else custom would improve anything.
the fact that it's steel is concerning -- the way i ride it
and the exposure to road chemicals, etc
but when i changed out the bb
to install the pw bb and dos eno drivetrain
there wasn't a bit of corrosion after three seasons
of pretty solid use/abuse!
maybe i'll go with a custom bike
when this one rusts out...
...but i have a feeling this bike will outlive me
as will all of my steel bikes ;)

skijoring
01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
That is a serious kick a** machine. Been toying with the idea of a new mtb, the Paramount is about 20 years old and a little small for me.

snah, how has your Paramount lasted that long after salt baths in the midwest? What is your secret? Wash every night, car wax. etc?

snah
01-14-2011, 12:16 PM
snah, how has your Paramount lasted that long after salt baths in the midwest? What is your secret? Wash every night, car wax. etc?

Actually the Paramount has been pretty lucky, up until the past couple weeks. Made the commitment to commute at least 3 days a week, no matter the weather, so the Paramount's been called into duty more often.

I absolutely love the Paramount btw, but as you can see in the photos, I've got the seat jacked up so high and the front gives me a bigger drop than any of my road bikes. Thought about adding front suspension, but it might be cost prohibitive.

spiderman
01-21-2011, 11:31 PM
my mom is post op day number two and has been doing great.
right out of surgery she told me..."drink some really good coffee for me".
yesterday she leaned over and whispered..."i have a brand new heart...take your sisters and your brother out for a really nice lunch"
today when the temp reached 42 degrees above zero she said...
"get out for a ride today and ride like you mean it"!
here are some shots from my favorite black hills route...
my mom's house to the hospital, up tower road, across skyline drive,
down to the bike shop on art alley and back again,
stopping at the ccu to visit my mom!
obtw, the bike shop owner/cranky jeff loves the don walker
and was happy to set me up with an 18t surly cog and lockring
so the climbing was a little easier on me today
than my ride yesterday when i was set up (46/16)

Clydesdale
01-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Nice shots Spidey. Glad your mom is doing well. Looks like a great route, but I have to say, 42 degrees!? How does that happen, is it summer there already? You're going to get soft out there. I missed you on the noon pugs ride yesterday at -4. Took an hour for the toes to thaw out.

Safe travels and prayers for your mom.

spiderman
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice shots Spidey. Glad your mom is doing well. Looks like a great route, but I have to say, 42 degrees!? How does that happen, is it summer there already? You're going to get soft out there. I missed you on the noon pugs ride yesterday at -4. Took an hour for the toes to thaw out.

Safe travels and prayers for your mom.

and thanks for the pugsley ride yesterday.
just so you know, the lower gar route is pug heaven...

spiderman
01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
50 riders pre-registered and about 50 walked up prior to take off.
we had the usual fanfare from the university of okoboji cheerleaders
send us off to accordion music...
we then hit the streets for 16 miles of pure riding pleasure!
the temperature maxed out at 24 degrees above zero.
as we sat at the shop drinking espresso
and pondering what it means that our dear friend and lbs owner
will be moving in may...
the weather -- as if on cue -- turned for the worse!
a pleasant light dusting of snow
that we thought might just freshen up the cross country ski trail
(as you can see later on in the day i couldn't resist seeing what the trial actually looked like...
more trailblazing was required...
by the time i was coming back on the reverse loop...
the trail looked the same
as when i blazed the trail in the first place)
became more of a blizzard just as we mounted our bikes to head home...
...i did find a nice view of the sunset, though...red at night, skiers delight!

Fixed
01-29-2011, 08:06 PM
you are made of stout stuff bro
i admire you
while i sit here in 70 degrees still suffering with the residual effects
of the flu
your photos are bright spot for me thanks
cheers imho

cool mess bag btw

AngryScientist
01-29-2011, 08:16 PM
go spidey! looks like a nice ride with good company.

thwart
01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
You know it's a winter ride when you wind up racing a snowmobile on the designated trail right next to the road...

And yes, he did drop me like a stone. :cool:

Maxed out at 39 today, so first day above freezing since NY Eve. And also my first road ride since then. Surely a different experience than the rollers.

oliver1850
01-29-2011, 09:29 PM

alpsantos
01-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Awesome post Spidey......keep turning the cranks!

BobbyJones
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
First real ride outside of the new year.

Giving Bar Mitts the thumbs up. Unsure about the Hottronics.

thwart
01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Mark, very cool retro carbon Trek... carbon doesn't rust, does it? Are you running tubies there?

It was far from a heat wave here, but warm enough to ride. I'm not as crazy as Mr. Spidey and his buds. You really need some peer pressure/support in that kind of weather.

oliver1850
01-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Louis
01-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Aside: They neglect to mention that they are predicting a low on Wednesday night of 5*F. Weather.com is prediction a low that night of -7*F. Anyone who looses power due to this will be majorly screwed.

National Weather Service

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO
830 PM CST SAT JAN 29 2011

...DANGEROUS WINTER STORM TAKING AIM ON REGION EARLY THIS WEEK...

.LIGHT FREEZING RAIN OR DRIZZLE WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREA
MONDAY AND CONTINUE IN WAVES THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. THE FREEZING
RAIN WILL BEGIN TO MIX WITH SLEET AND SNOW NORTH OF INTERSTATE 44
IN MISSOURI AND INTERSTATE 55 IN ILLINOIS LATE MONDAY NIGHT. THE
PRECIPITATION WILL BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES TUESDAY AND TUESDAY
NIGHT...WITH THE WINTRY MIX GRADUALLY CHANGING TO ALL SNOW FROM
WEST TO EAST AS COLDER AIR BUILDS INTO THE REGION. SIGNIFICANT
SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION ARE POSSIBLE.

THE GREATEST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY OCCUR FROM CENTRAL
MISSOURI TO WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS...WITH THE GREATEST THREAT OF
DAMAGING ICE ACCUMULATION AND POWER OUTAGES ALONG AND SOUTH OF
INTERSTATE 44 IN MISSOURI AND INTERSTATE 70 IN ILLINOIS.

THE SNOW WILL END WEDNESDAY MORNING BUT WINDS WILL INCREASE AS THE STORM SYSTEM DEEPENS ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AS WELL AS AN INCREASED RISK OF DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES DUE TO THE ICE ACCUMULATION WILL LAST INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING.

oliver1850
01-30-2011, 12:44 AM

oliver1850
01-30-2011, 12:56 AM

BobbyJones
01-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Looks like you needed the fenders today. I thought about taking the fendered bike, but made the right choice. Bike needed a bath, but I didn't even have a stripe up my back. I'd like to try the bar mitts, I had to make fists inside my gloves several times today, even at 35 degrees.

This was the first "real" ride outside on this bike (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=874248&postcount=8). It was a mess here in NYC- I've really got to get some flaps on those fenders but kinda stoked I have 'em

I usually don't let much bother me, but my hands and feet always take a hit in the cold. If you have similar issues, don't hesitate: buy Bar Mitts NOW. Right around 32-35 F today and I was fine with a thin running glove and was outside for 3 hours.

onekgguy
01-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Thursday was the first chance I had to get out since last November. We've had so much snow and little in the way of warm enough temps to melt it off the shoulders that it's really been all but impossible for me. All I've got are road bikes.

Here's some video (http://vimeo.com/19343309) from yesterday's ride.

Kevin g

spiderman
01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Thursday was the first chance I had to get out since last November. We've had so much snow and little in the way of warm enough temps to melt it off the shoulders that it's really been all but impossible for me. All I've got are road bikes.

Here's some video (http://vimeo.com/19343309) from yesterday's ride.

Kevin g

we are in the midst of 8 inches of new snow.
i barely made it home at noon,
drove back with ski gear for a trip around hogsback after work...
it's sure pretty out there
but very, very slick!

i did take a 10 second video of my friend riding fixed in the snow
on freeze your fanny...
...can't seem to load it here
but you can view it on

dogdriver
01-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Most excellent Pugs ride today: Up the Mirror Lake Highway (in the Uintah Mountains east of Salt Lake City)-- closed to cars, maintained for snowmobile traffic. A three hour ride up to Mirror Lake Pass on packed snow and two inches of fresh. The silence was deafening-- just the wind, crunch of tires, and the occasional airplane. Didn't see one other human until the parking lot at the finish. Mid teens, not too much wind in the trees (it was nuking on the pass in a snowstorm, hence no scenic pics), a couple of snow squalls. Gonna try to get a group together for a future ride...

Fixed
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
not that i am a hunter but to my city eyes it looks to be a way to be a modern day trapper
do cats hunt on their bikes ?
cheers

achurch
02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
pic worth a thousand words...

spiderman
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
we were out yesterday
for a spine trail romp...
the groomer hadn't really flattened the trail
after our last snowfall
so there were several 'run the bike sections'
...although he pulled the pug to an over the shoulder cross position
a couple of times instinctively yesterday...
i'll try to get a shot of that.
...not many cyclists can pull off that maneuver!
wind chill yesterday during our noon ride was 20 below zero...

AngryScientist
02-04-2011, 09:02 PM
got the new cross bike out on the road today, still needs some finishing touches, like a longer stem and saddle, but breathing the fresh air felt great!

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/IMG-20110204-00002.jpg

spiderman
02-05-2011, 02:39 PM
she wanted to get out and do a 'tour de authors' ride...
stopping at each home for food and a chat
of everyone who is an author for our cycling the lakes blog.
we had a great time riding t-max and the pugsley around the lakes area--
16 miles total...temp was 19 degrees when we started
and 32 when we finished after meeting our friend for lunch
at the market downtown!
...after thinking the tmax was the worst cycling expenditure i've made...
it's now her new found riding friend.
she's ready for more...but maybe a little skiing this afternoon...on her new waxable skis...where we met a couple more friends!

xjoex
02-05-2011, 04:20 PM
It warmed up this week, the snow melted, then it got cold, the trails are 2" of solid ice. Not slush, not snow, but ice.

But the dog needed to go for a run, so trail running it was.

Kahtoola Microspikes 1, ice 0.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/IMG_0290.jpg

-Joe

oliver1850
02-06-2011, 08:18 PM

02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Last week we had a spell of negative 25* mornings. Standing windchill low of -56*. First whole week I didn't commute. This pic is from sometime last winter. I stopped at a stop sign and the wheels froze to the breaks. Thankfully i was a block away from my house. Cold really doesn't scare me, the ice does.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/wjviet2/DSC00760.jpg

dogdriver
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
not that i am a hunter but to my city eyes it looks to be a way to be a modern day trapper
do cats hunt on their bikes ?
cheers

I think that I've herd of hunters and trappers using bikes for access, my hunting days are behind me (hunting people kind of removed my desire to kill animals for sport). I did, however, have my head on a swivel looking for predators. They may have seen me, but I didn't see them. Great ride, though, gonna do it again...

oliver1850
02-06-2011, 11:17 PM

sashae
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Fenders uber alles.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5404264327_6e42b1ae81_b.jpg

spiderman
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
The cross country skiing looks like fun......for people with functional joints.

I'm with you in spirit.

Here's some pics from my first day off the farm since the blizzard. Actually, we didn't get as much snow as they were calling for. I was surprised to see corn stalks poking through, but with 60 mph hr. wind gusts it tends to collect in the lower areas, and the hills can be pretty bare. It warmed up today to around 30, but we're going into the deep freeze this week. So I got out for 10 or 12 miles riding, but the north wind had already started, and what had melted earlier was already turning to ice.

i've crossed (cross country) over to the dark (cold) side...
...one of my skiing partners is leaving for a trip to china today
and thought he might ski at noon before catching his flight.
one thing i wasn't counting on...-4 F and -20 F wind chill.
by the time i finished my solo loop it was a balmy one below!
...if nothing else, maybe i put down some track that he can follow
if he goes out later

rwsaunders
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm liking that Ahearne a lot...nice bike.

This is my first Winter with decent fenders and it makes riding on marginal days well worth it. I just wish that the ice glaze on the brick streets around here would take notice that I'm trying to get a ride in. I hit a patch on Saturday and I went down quicker than William on a donut. I never knew that a cyclist and his bike could slide so far...thank goodness for parked cars.

Spiderman...you're my Winter inspiration but you're nuts.

spiderman
02-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm liking that Ahearne a lot...nice bike.

This is my first Winter with decent fenders and it makes riding on marginal days well worth it. I just wish that the ice glaze on the brick streets around here would take notice that I'm trying to get a ride in. I hit a patch on Saturday and I went down quicker than William on a donut. I never knew that a cyclist and his bike could slide so far...thank goodness for parked cars.

Spiderman...you're my Winter inspiration but you're nuts.

certifiably this morning...
the raw temp is -17F
cold enough for hot water to vaporize on contact!
after deciding to drive my car to work
i couldn't help myself
and rode the bike instead!
my wife demonstrates the experiment here:
...and the photo i took with my phone
after i tossed my espresso water into the air
out the sliding back door...

Fixed
02-08-2011, 09:11 AM
and i didn't ride last night cause it was raining and 60 here
your tough
cheers

spiderman
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
and i didn't ride last night cause it was raining and 60 here
your tough
cheers

I don't much care being told I can't do something...
...My accountant gets me though...
I biked down to see my tax man
For his recommendation on a small business venture...
Rather than tell me no
He advised going down to the bank
And withdrawing about 10k in 100 dollar bills...
...Then going down to the bridge near my house
Where there's open water
And dropping fists full at a time into the abyss
To see what it would feel like to be a small business owner!
Here's a shot from my ride home.
I stopped to cool off
And process what he had to say...

Fixed
02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't much care being told I can't do something...
...My accountant gets me though...
I biked down to see my tax man
For his recommendation on a small business venture...
Rather than tell me no
He advised going down to the bank
And withdrawing about 10k in 100 dollar bills...
...Then going down to the bridge near my house
Where there's open water
And dropping fist fulls at a time into the abyss
To see what it would feel like to be a small business owner!
Here's a shot from my ride home.
I stopped to cool off
And process what he had to say...
hey spidey remember when you did this
your a special guy accountants can't measure this
i think you can take about anything on
cheers

spiderman
02-11-2011, 07:35 PM
hey spidey remember when you did this
your a special guy accountants can't measure this
i think you can take about anything on
cheers

Fixed,
My mom had emergency wednesday night...
She was given a 25-50% chance of survival.
She is off the vent now
But had a tough day post op day 1 with pain
And was hallucinating about green monsters
--they've been gone since I arrived this morning--
Instead of climbing haleakala tomorrow morning
I will be at her bedside in rapid city.
My assignment today??
She sent me out on a ride
To find a sprig of pine needles...
First shot shows rapid city regional...
The second is where I stopped to find her request!
...50 degrees...above zero!!
Now that's what I call winter riding!

Fixed
02-11-2011, 07:40 PM
you and your mom are in my prayers bro

AngryScientist
02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
best to you and your family spidey, your mom sounds like a wonderful and inspirational woman.

spiderman
02-15-2011, 08:20 AM
best to you and your family spidey, your mom sounds like a wonderful and inspirational woman.

Thoughts and prayers are strong...thanks to you, too fixed
And for the pms and emails, friends.
...for a couple days i sat in the 7th floor waiting area
looking at my favorite climb between visits.
yesterday i climbed tower road like i meant it since
My mom is turning the corner and is starting to look like
The dozen roses she was given by her fan club yesterday...
...A dozen or so of the people she cares for who can't take care
Of themselves...who have inspired her to get well soon!

Hope you all had a happy valentine's day, too!
My instruction from mom was to wine and dine my wife...
While we were waiting for our table we walked into a snow boarding shop
And I tried on one of these: makes sense for winter riding...
Anyone have a giro like this?? For the price it seems hard
To go wrong...unless you get the valentine's day model???

...and please, someone...tell me i don't need these drops
to prepare for not only the rest of this...but next winter!

Clydesdale
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
things are looking up Spidey. As long as the helmet has plugs for the vents - get it. It will be your favorite winter cycling accessory.

Warming up back home - not much skiing left but the ice will be gone soon and it will be time to pump up the skinny tires again!

dogdriver
02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
FWIW, I ski with a Giro Nine helmet-- similar to the one in your pic. I rode with it a couple times, but didn't like it for a few reasons: its designed for use with goggles and the sunglasses pressed against my temples, it was "leaky" enough airflow-wise that I needed a hat under it, and I had my doubts as to how protective it would be in a "pavement" crash (it is, after all, designed to protect in snow sport crashes). I'll stick to a bike helmet with a skullcap for cool riding. That said, I usually ride the Pugsley without a helmet, which probably isn't very smart when the snow is firm...

Cool heart helmet!

Fixed
02-15-2011, 06:24 PM
the power of love between a mother and her son is very powerful . with the love she gets from you and the love she gives to you all thing are possible there is the The Power of the Human Spirit.
i will keep you and your mom in my prayers
cheers to your mom and you

gone
02-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Here's my winter time ride:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/Feb_13_2011_7317.jpg

ericspin
02-16-2011, 04:54 AM
...and please, someone...tell me i don't need these drops
to prepare for not only the rest of this...but next winter!

Sorry to be the one to tell you this. But.....I am afraid that you DO need those drops.

I really would like to setup a ride with this kind of dropout versatility. Fixed, check. Geared, check. Singlespeed, check. Love the idea of being able to change the personality of my bike rather than having to buy a new one.

spiderman
02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
things are looking up Spidey. As long as the helmet has plugs for the vents - get it. It will be your favorite winter cycling accessory.

Warming up back home - not much skiing left but the ice will be gone soon and it will be time to pump up the skinny tires again!

Mom continues to improve...her diet has advanced
To include full liquids...she requested a de-caf
French vanilla sugar-free, skinny latte...
The barista called it a "why bother"
Her surgeon called it "the colostomy check"!

Yesterday my wife and I got in a wonderful 52 mile round trip
From rapid city to hill city!
Spring creek is still frozen
And I found a patch of snow at the pigtail bride
One of woody on the way out and my wife took a shot of me
On the way back
Where we paused to consider the argonaut!
Lunch at the alpine inn was phenomenal!

spiderman
02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
My mom's condition improves daily...
...Wound vac, ostomy care...full liquids...po pain meds.
After spending the morning with her
She leaned over and whispered:
"Go out and ride as far as you can today
It's going to snow tomorrow."
I rode out from her house to the needles hwy.
...A park official turned around when I met him
To make sure I didn't go past the barrier...
No pics of him
But he humored me
And let me take a couple shots
While we chatted over some buffalo jerky
Before turning for home!

Fixed
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
spidey that country looks so beautiful . your pictures and you and your mom's fortitude make me miss the northern mid west .
special people live there take care
cheers

spiderman
02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
spidey that country looks so beautiful . your pictures and you and your mom's fortitude make me miss the northern mid west .
special people live there take care
cheers

my wife started making challah as i unloaded the car...
she then shewed me out the door to refamiliarize myself
with my favorite ride...
we still have snow-pack here
with more snow expected sunday.
...but for now
the temp was 35 degrees
and i needed long fingered gloves and a balaclava
but no shoe covers and was fine for a lake lap...
here are a couple shots with the ottrott and steher tubulars
enjoying the dry pavement and spinning the climbing out of my legs!

spiderman
02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
after the ice storm we had yesterday
and getting out for a brief ride in it...
i thought the rest of the season might be over.
well, today we've been getting 2-3 inches of the sweetest, softest snow
of the season...
the ice has firmed up everything as a base and the snow
has some nice grip to it...
i had the nicest ride of the season today at noon
and must take the risk of repeating myself
may i just say...i love winter riding!
--25 degrees, light wind and a base layer with a patagonia top-- perfect!

spiderman
02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
this winter has been tough.
either there's too much snow, too much ice...too much open water for comfort.
some one or combination of factors has been enough to keep me
from making my appointed rounds with my end of east lake okoboji!
today that all changed:
this shot is at the end of the perfect lake lap
the espresso, bike, lake and snow combined
for the most ideal winter ride of the year!

spiderman
02-27-2011, 10:01 PM
friday was limited to my commute but with the long way home.
saturday when i rode it was one above with a wind chill of about minus 20.
--forgot to mention that with my post yesterday--
today, when i was again able to get out for a couple hours it was 28 above!
we have some of the nicest cotton candy snow you could ask for--so nice
my wife came out skiing with me and i tried a little ski skating...

troymac
02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Wow this is great reason to have NAHBS in Sacramento sometimes rain but hardly ever snow ... it was 55 and sunny today got a good 30 mile ride in today.

dogdriver
03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
The Pugs looking down hill on Utah's Mirror Lake Highway. This is becoming a weekly event for me-- a summer mountain road, closed to traffic, groomed (80 miles) for snowmobiles, deserted during the week. Almost makes me fear springtime, though it also has its high points...

spiderman
03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
The Pugs looking down hill on Utah's Mirror Lake Highway. This is becoming a weekly event for me-- a summer mountain road, closed to traffic, groomed (80 miles) for snowmobiles, deserted during the week. Almost makes me fear springtime, though it also has its high points...

dogdriver,
i'm not sure any day here looks as good as that!
wow...
...you are in pug heaven!
i may have to look for work in utah...or at least
try to find a conference in that neck of the woods!

springtime around here is unpredictable at best!
we've had some of the best pug riding during the last week.
clydesdale and i have a favorite loop that takes us into a park
that we basically have to ourselves for the winter.
i rode solo today but because of the 38 degree temps yesterday
everything everywhere was ice.
the serotta uniscasi with nokians was perfect!
what a great bike...everything was frozen so solid
that areas i usually can't go on studded tires was well suited to the uni today.

obtw, i love the idea of nahbs in sacramento next year.
(now for some more tmi time)
i took my family practice board exam for the first time there...
...after being up for a 48 hour mass casualty in our fleet hospital 5
m*a*s*h unit training at camp pendleton the night before
going upstate for the exam...
i've always wanted to go back when not sleep deprived

Fixed
03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
bike push ups
best to you and yours
cheers

spiderman
03-14-2011, 08:21 AM
bike push ups
best to you and yours
cheers

...even though we've all sprung ahead....
winter yet reigns!
the temperature on the commute to work
was 22 degrees, with a cold south wind
blowing up to 20 mph...the horfrost was beautiful, though...
and it's nice to be on the don walker again!

Fixed
03-14-2011, 08:45 AM
great looking bikes really enjoyed your post this winter
cheers

93legendti
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
...even though we've all sprung ahead....
winter yet reigns!the temperature on the commute to work
was 22 degrees, with a cold south wind
blowing up to 20 mph...the horfrost was beautiful, though...
and it's nice to be on the don walker again!
It sure does. I got caught in a snow storm yesterday afternoon-nothing was sticking and the road wasn't slippery, but BIG dry flakes were falling so hard at one point it was a near white out. Luckily, I had my Cygolite 180 mounted on my bars and turned it on so I could be seen.

On today's ride, my Specialized bottle actually cracked into several large pieces when I squeezed it lightly to drink - that was a first.

spiderman
03-26-2011, 10:02 PM
It sure does. I got caught in a snow storm yesterday afternoon-nothing was sticking and the road wasn't slippery, but BIG dry flakes were falling so hard at one point it was a near white out. Luckily, I had my Cygolite 180 mounted on my bars and turned it on so I could be seen.

On today's ride, my Specialized bottle actually cracked into several large pieces when I squeezed it lightly to drink - that was a first.

i had the don walker fixed out on skyline drive yesterday.
i was back out to the black hills for a couple of days.
i went out early in the day with my daughter for a ride
and we had fog and otherwise dry conditions.
later in the day, i had a one hour window to get out for
some serious (for me) hill climbing. on my return home
on a section of climb that is 8-10 percent grade...
...some freezing rain and then a white out snow flurry hit...
i almost needed to walk the bike
but wasn't sure i could keep my footing.
by the time i reached town again
i felt like i'd been to the sanctuary
and took a picture in front of this church at the base of tower road.
crazy how the conditions at the base of the climb
were so much less wintery than what i had just experience at the top!
i did make it home without incident but was glad i brought a bike
with studded snow tires, too when i looked out the window to new snow
this morning!
...of course, if you're interested in the last week's winter riding during the first week of spring...there is a little more to see at the www.cyclingthelakes.blogspot.com site...