Building up my Dean Ti CX, opinions on the best CX canti's
Thanks,
Rick

Frankwurst
12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Pauls. Easy to set up and they work. :beer:

WeakRider
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.cambriabike.com/Images/product/trp_cx_9_cyclocross_linear_pull_brake_black.jpg

;)

garysol1
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
After using lots of different Cantileaver brakes on my CX bikes I have so far settled on the FSA SL-K brakes. They have a good feel and stopping power, easy set up and look tits.

http://bike-brakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/74.jpg

FastVegan
12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
+1 on trp cx9 mini-v's.
After a full season of cx racing I will never use cantis again. Mini v's work, cantis just make noise.

DP

tamjam
12-09-2010, 12:33 PM
+1 on trp cx9 mini-v's.
After a full season of cx racing I will never use cantis again. Mini v's work, cantis just make noise.

DP
+2
I put the cheaper version (Tektro RX5) on the front of my cross bike due to the terrible fork chatter I was getting, which made my bike nearly unrideable, and it was the best $25 I have ever pent on bike parts.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Building up my Dean Ti CX, opinions on the best CX canti's
Thanks,
Rick

Mini Vs...less or no fork chatter since there is no stem mounted cable stop.

FGC
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Avid Shorty Ultimates with a fork mounted cable stop. The brakes work great and the cable stop ensures no chatter. They're the best cantilevers I've ever used and they beat v-brakes for mud clearance and ease of wheel changes.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Avid Shorty Ultimates with a fork mounted cable stop. The brakes work great and the cable stop ensures no chatter. They're the best cantilevers I've ever used and they beat v-brakes for mud clearance and ease of wheel changes.

They are nice, glad you like them but if the pad to rim clearance is small, cannot move the spacers around on the brake block assembly or it'll hit the canti arm..had this problem with a CX bike. Expensive too.

fourflys
12-09-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm really wanting to try the short ultimates... I'm hoping to score a used pair after the season... other than those, hard to beat any of the TOP stuff....

moots7
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I take it a fork mounted hanger is not an after market part, but built in to a paticular fork?
Are some forks more prone than others to shutter?

Likes2ridefar
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I use the avid shorty 6 and have no issues. they are silent and stop great. cheap compared to most the other recommendations, too.

I have them installed on a 2010 specialized crux and have never experienced any chatter. I'm not sure if thats because of the fork mounted stop, the tapered HT being fatter on the bottom or the very beefy carbon fork.

tamjam
12-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I take it a fork mounted hanger is not an after market part, but built in to a paticular fork?

Aftermarket, but your fork needs to have a brake mounting hole otherwise there is no way to install it. The part looks something like this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C14HNS/ref=nosim/neoset-20)

moots7
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
A hole like a road fork would have?

Likes2ridefar
12-09-2010, 02:11 PM
A hole like a road fork would have?

yep.

BengeBoy
12-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Aftermarket, but your fork needs to have a brake mounting hole otherwise there is no way to install it. The part looks something like this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C14HNS/ref=nosim/neoset-20)

My touring/commuter bike had *the worst shudder* ever until I had the front brake cable remounted with one of these. Works like a charm.

sean
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Pauls by far, with a couple changes.

Go for Neo Retro's in front and touring in the rear. Loose the stock thinlines and get some dual compound thinlines, they deal with "wet" better.

Ditch the Jagwire hanger and go for a moon unit or something that gives the cable a little less friction with travel. If you can find them, the older dia compe rollers are nice, even chill pills.

Lastly. Contact Hunter and get his custom barrel adjusters for paul cantis. These require normal brake cables as straddle wires, so you can basically do away with all the hardware (except the m6x25mm bolts) that come with the brakes.

Benjamin
12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Definitely swapping out my Pauls for TRP CX9s this winter.

moots7
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Well definately can't/ shouldn't drill a hole through my full carbon fork so I'm thinking TRP CX9's might be the ticket, may look a little funky on the rear with the brazed on cable hanger.

tamjam
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Well definately can't/ shouldn't drill a hole through my full carbon fork so I'm thinking TRP CX9's might be the ticket, may look a little funky on the rear with the brazed on cable hanger.

Run a canti on the rear then, that's how I've got my bike set up, sort of a modified mullet. Though I guess that might be considered a little funky too.... :rolleyes:

allenwhy
12-09-2010, 05:20 PM
picture of the dean?! i love dean ti.

tlm993
12-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Almost done with a season of CX racing with the Avid Ultimates and have been mighty impressive. Wasn't hard to be considering I upgraded brakes from some ancient IRD cafam cantis. Can be noisy, but with a little toe in, problem solved.

There were some issues with the install, but I understand SRAM has addressed most / all of them so if you're buying brakes now, you should be all set. I ran into this on the rears where the bosses were a little short. Had to get longer bosses in order to fix this. It's well documented out on the wolly wide web.

Modulation and feel were great though I changed the pads to some Koolstop reds.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Almost done with a season of CX racing with the Avid Ultimates and have been mighty impressive. Wasn't hard to be considering I upgraded brakes from some ancient IRD cafam cantis. Can be noisy, but with a little toe in, problem solved.

There were some issues with the install, but I understand SRAM has addressed most / all of them so if you're buying brakes now, you should be all set. I ran into this on the rears where the bosses were a little short. Had to get longer bosses in order to fix this. It's well documented out on the wolly wide web.

Modulation and feel were great though I changed the pads to some Koolstop reds.

Had to grind down the 'tube' that went over the boss on 3 Avid Ultimates..bosses aren't too short, this part is too long..hopefully they fixed it.

Also pads have low adjust range particularly if the rims are wide.

moots7
12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Will post a pic of the Dean Ti when I finish it, almost all the components came from this forum, this is THE best place to do bike business.

moots7
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
The Avis Ulitimates are on the short list, but I am concerned about the post issue.
I have used Paul brakes, hard to argue against them, but did experience some front shutter, but not as bad as Avid Shorty 6.
Anyone use the TRP Euro X Carbons?

Allanator
12-09-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm assuming the TRP CX9's work well with road brifters without a travel agent? That's the whole idea right?

RPS
12-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm assuming the TRP CX9's work well with road brifters without a travel agent? That's the whole idea right?
That’s the idea; although the arms at 90 mm long are not that much shorter than their MTB-specific linear brakes which are 102 mm long. With road levers the CX9s should result in plenty of mechanical advantage (much more than road calipers or most cantis). My only question is if it could be too much leverage depending on frame and fork dimensions. I use mini-Vs on one bike but they are a little shorter – if I recall correctly arms are 80 mm long (not that 80 vs. 90 mm will make a huge difference).

Too much mechanical advantage is not a good thing but since these are being recommended by many they must be working well.

SpeedyChix
12-10-2010, 03:50 PM
...Contact Hunter and get his custom barrel adjusters for paul cantis. These require normal brake cables as straddle wires, so you can basically do away with all the hardware (except the m6x25mm bolts) that come with the brakes.

Do you have a link or contact info for these?
pics of install would be grand too.

Thanks!

Ti Designs
12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Mafac. They don't stop worth a damn, sometimes they don't even slow you down much, but they make this horrible noise that gets everyone else out of your way.

DogpawSlim
12-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Go for Neo Retro's in front and touring in the rear.

Agreed. I had this setup on my Cross Check, it was fantastic. Ended up selling them, and replacing with Tektro 720's, which I could never get feeling or looking right. Replaced those with some v brakes, couldn't stand the look of them, but man did they stop. Now I have some "vintage" LX cantis, which are impossible to set up, but I had them sitting around and they work okay.

I miss the Pauls...

RPS
12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Agreed. I had this setup on my Cross Check, it was fantastic. Ended up selling them, and replacing with Tektro 720's, which I could never get feeling or looking right. Replaced those with some v brakes, couldn't stand the look of them, but man did they stop. Now I have some "vintage" LX cantis, which are impossible to set up, but I had them sitting around and they work okay.

I miss the Pauls...
I find the highlighted part humorous and a great reminder that other than to other cyclists, selecting something as important as brakes based on looks instead of function would make no sense whatsoever. :cool:

DogpawSlim
12-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I find the highlighted part humorous and a great reminder that other than to other cyclists, selecting something as important as brakes based on looks instead of function would make no sense whatsoever. :cool:

I agree completely. I often don't make sense. But I didn't need OTB stopping power on my Cross Check.