PDA

View Full Version : Max Cassette Cog with Short-cage

97CSI
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Will the short-cage Centaur (Chorus, Record) RD allow for the use of a 13-29 cassette with a standard 53/39 crankset?
Thanks.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Will the short-cage Centaur (Chorus, Record) RD allow for the use of a 13-29 cassette with a standard 53/39 crankset?
Thanks.

Yep, had this very thing on the Moots demo for years..until I swapped it to 11s.

Make sure the chain is proper length and it will be fine. No break in big-big and no pulley hit cog in small-big.

Dave
12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
This one has been asked and answered many times. Officially, this combination is not recommended, but it may work just fine. How well it works depends on the length of you rear dropout - it may or may not provide adequate clearance between the large cog and upper pulley in the 39/29.

The other issue is wrap capacity. Depending on your exact chainstay length, some frames can have up to 3T more wrap capacity than others. That's why one person will say it works for them, but it doesn't work for all bikes.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
This one has been asked and answered many times. Officially, this combination is not recommended, but it may work just fine. How well it works depends on the length of you rear dropout - it may or may not provide adequate clearance between the large cog and upper pulley in the 39/29.

The other issue is wrap capacity. Depending on your exact chainstay length, some frames can have up to 3T more wrap capacity than others. That's why one person will say it works for them, but it doesn't work for all bikes.

On a Moots Vamoots it works fine. If the OP frame dimensions are similar, it'll work for him too. I don't doubt what was said but I have installed a 13-29 on many Campagnolo doubles, with short cage and haven't seen a no-go yet.

From the trenches..try it and see.

97CSI
12-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Well..........trying will cost me $100 if it doesn't work (or whatever I would lose reselling, plus the hassle, etc.). I went the safe route and got the medium cage, where there is no question about working. Not being a racer, am sure it will shift fast enough.
Thanks for the info.

Dave
12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Using the medium cage will not affect the shifting at all. The medium cage is guaranteed to clear the 29T and provide ample wrap.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Well..........trying will cost me $100 if it doesn't work (or whatever I would lose reselling, plus the hassle, etc.). I went the safe route and got the medium cage, where there is no question about working. Not being a racer, am sure it will shift fast enough.
Thanks for the info.

Hmmm...I guess I thought you had the RD and were then going for a lower gear cogset..not buying a RD. If ya ain't got the RD yet..sure get the medium cage, no payback.

krhea
12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I've ridden one of my bikes with a short cage Record, a 13-29, a compact crankset and a standard frt derailleur for years without any problems.

KRhea

97CSI
12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Well........ I did state specifically that it was a standard 53/39 crank.

champ
12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Campy recommends the "medium cage" RD for anything over a 26 low with a standard crank and/or when using a triple with any cassette. The med cage w a 29 low probably shifts more quickly than with the std cage RD but it might not be necessary, IMO