PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever visit the Cronometro/ Madison WI bike swap?

FastVegan
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I always sell/buy at the Chicago bike swap but some people say the WI swap is better. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

Frankwurst
12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
It's a good swap. I always go and end up with a bunch of stuff I don't need but seem to think I should have. Most folks are ready to wheel and deal and there are alot of good items to be had cheap. At least that's always been my impression. Not to mention Mad Town is a great place to have a good time. :beer:

ThomasRZ
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Crazy good deals if you look/bargain hard enough.

Last year, got new take-off 10S Veloce shifters for $60, Chorus RD for $50, and a grab bag of old Oakleys for $20. Always fun and worth the trip from Chicago.

thwart
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
All that... and the weather is usually great as well. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is very well attended and folks generally seem to have a good time. And it breaks up the winter cycling doldrums nicely around here...

fmbp
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
It's been 5 or 6 years since I've been, but am now back in the Midwest. Planning on attending, and really looking forward to getting my grubby paws on a bunch of grubby bike parts.

oliver1850
12-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't miss it if you can get there. You may not find what you're looking for, but I've never come out with any cash left. Not as big as VeloSwap Denver (but bigger than the one they put on in Chicago a few years back), but pretty much something for everyone. Last year's scores for me were NOS Sachs 8 ergo levers, a Chorus crank, Daytona 10 ergos, Kestrel crabon fabber bar, and several sets of Veloce calipers. Lots of complete bikes for sale in the corral.

Afterwards, stops at Puempel's Olde Tavern in New Glarus for the local microbrew, and Baumgartner's in Monroe. We get the 2nd Best Chili in the World, but neither that or the Limburger sandwich are probably going to do much for you. Still a cool place if the whole front room full of cheese doesn't offend you. The smoked Gouda is great. Check out these 2 places' websites for pics of their old bars and late 19th/early 20th century murals.

Frankwurst
12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Don't miss it if you can get there. You may not find what you're looking for, but I've never come out with any cash left. Not as big as VeloSwap Denver (but bigger than the one they put on in Chicago a few years back), but pretty much something for everyone. Last year's scores for me were NOS Sachs 8 ergo levers, a Chorus crank, Daytona 10 ergos, Kestrel crabon fabber bar, and several sets of Veloce calipers. Lots of complete bikes for sale in the corral.

Afterwards, stops at Puempel's Olde Tavern in New Glarus for the local microbrew, and Baumgartner's in Monroe. We get the 2nd Best Chili in the World, but neither that or the Limburger sandwich are probably going to do much for you. Still a cool place if the whole front room full of cheese doesn't offend you. The smoked Gouda is great. Check out these 2 places' websites for pics of their old bars and late 19th/early 20th century murals.

I hope you at least rathole enough cash for a New Glarus Beer and a Limburger sandwhich. MMMMMMMMMM......Yummy. :beer:

rphetteplace
12-10-2010, 07:07 PM
we went to Baumgartners last weekend :)

fishbolish
12-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I will be there this year....
its a great swap. 2 years ago i bought greg lemonds personal ti bike for a song(one of the forums members owns it now).& a year or 2 before that a mantis profloater which I resold @ the swap
trek used to blowout lots of stuff there a while back

oliver1850
12-10-2010, 08:36 PM
fishbolish: A buddy of mine bought Frankie Andreu's motorola caloi tt bike there a few years back. I rode it once in the local club's wednesday night tt last year. There's always something cool, problem is so much stuff disappears before you can begin to make the rounds.

Homer voice: mmmmm Limburger mmmmmmmm New Glarus Spotted Cow Ale

oliver1850
12-10-2010, 08:38 PM
we went to Baumgartners last weekend :)

What did you have?

FastVegan
01-07-2011, 02:30 PM
This swap is tomorrow, Anyone who is going I am at table #43. Stop by and say hi, and buy some of my stuff :)

Dave

oliver1850
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Dave, I'm glad we didn't talk you out of attending. I'm planning on going and I know there's at least a couple of other forumites that will be there too. Will stop by, please try to stick around as long as you can. A lot of sellers start to pack up before people have had time to scan all the tables.

FastVegan
01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I am in it for the long haul. We have a good group of parts to move, I hope to have nothing to pack up, other than the stuff I buy.

buck-50
01-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I'll be there tomorrow with a butt-load of vintage parts and a Faema Merckx Corsa frame that WILL NOT be coming home with me.

rphetteplace
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
What did you have?

2nd best chili and a combo brick and salami sandwich.

Ahneida Ride
01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I wish I knew about this earlier... :rolleyes:

markie
01-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I'll be there tomorrow with a butt-load of vintage parts and a Faema Merckx Corsa frame that WILL NOT be coming home with me.

What size and price?

I'll be there tomorrow. It is like Christmas for me. the antici... ...pation has been building for me all week.

oliver1850
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

What's your table number? I may not collect on that beer, but will try to hit the forum members' tables first.

oliver1850
01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I wish I knew about this earlier... :rolleyes:

Sorry you missed the thread the first time around. If it helps any, there's another swap in Chicago in 2 weeks.