PDA

View Full Version : OT: Snowblower feedback

maxdog
12-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I apologize for another off topic post, but my faithful Ariens sb needs a major overhaul, so I am looking to purchase a new one. I have a driveway that is about a 1/3 of a mile long, so the 12 winters the Ariens has given me is actually a pretty good endorsement for this brand. Having said that, I'm considering a Simplicity and a Toro as well, since that is what the local dealers carry (except for Cub Cadet, which is just MTD now, and JD, which is overpriced imo).
Any of you northern folks want to chime in? Thanks.

oliver1850
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't own one myself, but can say I've had really good luck with Kawasaki engines. Theres a pretty long thread on snowblowers from about a month ago if you want to search.

thwart
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Here ya go: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=80684&highlight=snowblower

... and: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53283&highlight=snowblower

echelon_john
12-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I've been looking lately as well; we've limped through our first four VT winters with the Craftsman I brought from our old (further south) house. Based on my research, plus putting my grubby paws all over a lot of different makes, I've come down to Ariens and Toro as the finalists. Since there's so much parity between engines across virtually all makes, it comes down more to construction quality and strength for me. These two makes have heavier gauge metal in all the places it matters, larger wheels/tires in a given model size, good augur/impeller design, plus smart, intuitive controls.

The Toro's swivel system for the chute is a pretty slick joystick setup; really easy to reach and use, but I do worry a little about the plastic jamming/breaking. The Ariens is a smart design but a little more of a reach.

The Toro also seems to be higher priced for a comparable model to the Ariens. Neither goes on sale much.

At this point I'm likely to pull the trigger on this one:

http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921022-Snow-Thrower/p4948.html

good luck with your search!
john

BlackTiBob
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
any honda dealers close?
Their snowblowers are awesome. I have 828 with hydrostatic drive and rubber tracks.
superb but pricey.

maxdog
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
any honda dealers close?
Their snowblowers are awesome. I have 828 with hydrostatic drive and rubber tracks.
superb but pricey.

Honda would definitely be my choice except for two reasons, As you stated you want a local dealer with a sb, imo, for emergency maintenance, and I don't. Secondly it's twice as expensive as all my other picks.
I do love the tacks, hydrostatic drive and the Honda engine though. Thanks.

CNY rider
12-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Honda would definitely be my choice except for two reasons, As you stated you want a local dealer with a sb, imo, for emergency maintenance, and I don't. Secondly it's twice as expensive as all my other picks.
I do love the tacks, hydrostatic drive and the Honda engine though. Thanks.

How far are you from Vertucci's? They're good folks, I'm just not sure if they carry snowblowers.
Do you get down to the Cooperstown area for rides at all?

BlackTiBob
12-09-2010, 01:40 PM
a Honda snowblower is one item I would not hesitate to buy used.
I just tried Albany Craigslist, farm and garden, but none posted.

Here in MN the Honda snowblowers are appearing on Craigslsist
8 HP or better is the way to go.
Maybe one will appear soon for you???

christian
12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
What does your Ariens really need? If it runs a Tecumseh (it does, likely), you can swap the motor for a Robin Subaru, Honda GX, or Briggs, if the motor is popped. So long as the auger transmission isn't broken, I don't see any reason you can't overhaul the thing and get her going as new for <$250. These things aren't exactly complex, so something to consider.

(I run a 1970 Ariens 5hp. I have to tweak the chute a little bit this weekend to get the worm gear to work all 180d, but other than that, it works as new. 100% original, too.)

Ahneida Ride
12-10-2010, 09:52 AM
any honda dealers close?
superb but pricey.

Honda on tracks is a Beast !!!! It will go thru anything.

TMB
12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
One of those early threads was mine, and I still don't have a unit.

Made it through the first month of snow just fine, in fact it actually makes my arm feel better to shovel the driveway.

I hired a service to come up daily ( at my lovely wife's suggestion ) and help me out. That isn't working real well either. They come up once a day, but I leave the house at 6AM. They aren't here by then (surprise), so I've been doing the major first in the morning clean anyway.

AngryScientist
12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
i stand by craftsman models, as parts are always available for them.

endosch2
12-10-2010, 05:48 PM
This is the second snowblower thread this year.

Here is mine.....

59" 32 HP John Deere

BlackTiBob
12-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Two From Utica CL:
Both are superb machines. No affiliation/ just did some searching.
IMO, both are asking top dollar--but it's snow season....

2008 Honda Snowblower HS928TAS - $1900 (Minoa)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-12-10, 7:01AM EST
Reply to: sale-kx7su-2105113587@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda Snowblower Model HS928TAS. Track Drive. 9HP.Like New. New Cost-$2900.Well Maintained.Call mike at 315-256-5033.

2006 Honda 11hp, 32" Hydro Track Drive Snowblower, Light Use, Must See - $2400 (Rochester)

Date: 2010-12-10, 5:47PM EST
Reply to: sale-fxmja-2106276069@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Mint Condtion (low hours) 2006 Commercial Honda 11 Horsepower, 32" Hydrostatic Track Drive Snowblower. Machine has been well maintained and always stored inside. This is Honda's largest, most powerful machine. Moves 71.7 tons of snow per hour and throws an average distance of 50-60 feet.

This is not an inexpensive unit, but once you own one you will not settle for anything less. We paid $3500 for machine in '06.

maxdog
12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
What does your Ariens really need? If it runs a Tecumseh (it does, likely), you can swap the motor for a Robin Subaru, Honda GX, or Briggs, if the motor is popped. So long as the auger transmission isn't broken, I don't see any reason you can't overhaul the thing and get her going as new for <$250. These things aren't exactly complex, so something to consider.

(I run a 1970 Ariens 5hp. I have to tweak the chute a little bit this weekend to get the worm gear to work all 180d, but other than that, it works as new. 100% original, too.)

The engine is still running, albeit, a little rougher for the wear. It's the belt and friction wheel I'm guessing. to tell you the truth I decided not to split it open and look, since the auger housing is nearly worn through from the gravel, the shute is shot, the various linkage is failing. On top of all that, since I have a sulfer spring and creek on my property, anything ferrous dies an early death. Ultimately I could replace this machine for a new one (ST28LE) for a grand. Considering my driveway is about a 1/3 of a mile, and we generally get a fair amount of snow, I'd say 12 winters has been pretty good service. Thanks.