PDA

View Full Version : Serotta & Di2

spartacus
12-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Which Serotta frames are available Di2 compatible please? Is it just for the carbon models?

Thanks, Sparts.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Which Serotta frames are available Di2 compatible please? Is it just for the carbon models?

Thanks, Sparts.

All are 'compatible', just not for internal routing.

spartacus
12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
All are 'compatible', just not for internal routing.

Lexically sloppy :)

Chapter Two - which Serotta frames can be made with internal routing for Di2?

Idris Icabod
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think any manufacturer is doing a good job of intergrating Di2 personally. I know it means a bit of extra work but the potential for such a pretty bike is being missed. The best I've seen so far is Colnago's C59 which intergrates the controller in to the stem. You should check out Weight Weenies forum. A few garage tinkerers have placed the battery inside the seat post and have pretty much everything else within the frame. If these guys can figure it out why can't Shimano?

crownjewelwl
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I saw a Meivici with internal Di2 routing at Signature in Greenwich last week. It looked pretty slick to me.

spartacus
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I saw a Meivici with internal Di2 routing at Signature in Greenwich last week. It looked pretty slick to me.

Interesting. Where was the battery positioned? Thanks.

crownjewelwl
12-09-2010, 10:53 AM
battery was on the bottom of the chainstay (non-drive side obviously)

it was very pretty...

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 12:46 PM

it was very pretty...

Like other frames made specifically for some sort of component system, beware. Hopefully the frame can use conventional, old fashioned cables, etc, in case ya ever want to sell it and keep Di2. But if it's Di2 only........

happycampyer
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM

it was very pretty...I saw that bike as well—it looked very clean. If I planned on getting a custom bike with Di2, I would do it the same way, without question. I would imagine that Serotta (or any other custom builder that made a dedicated Di2 frame) could retrofit cable stops etc. If the frme were to be switched back to a conventional drivetrain.

crownjewelwl
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Like other frames made specifically for some sort of component system, beware. Hopefully the frame can use conventional, old fashioned cables, etc, in case ya ever want to sell it and keep Di2. But if it's Di2 only........

Not sure you'd want to retrofit. Haven't tried it myself, but I trust Soren and he says it is the best shifting experience around...

Although I'm holding out for electronic campy...

spartacus
12-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I saw that bike as well—it looked very clean. If I planned on getting a custom bike with Di2, I would do it the same way, without question. I would imagine that Serotta (or any other custom builder that made a dedicated Di2 frame) could retrofit cable stops etc. If the frme were to be switched back to a conventional drivetrain.

It sounds quite possible to retrofit, although the head tube cable stops would be a potential problem on a carbon frame.

SHOCK
12-09-2010, 03:30 PM
We are currently offering the DI2 internal routing on the Meivici AE and the Meivici SE. The Ottrott is currently in the works...

We designed it to use the EW-7975-A-1 battery and harness (short mount) and the normal EW-7975 battery and harness (long mount) will work with a bit of modification. Basically the upper portion of the mount needs to be removed and the battery holes slightly chamfered so that they accept a bolt with an angled head, sometimes called a "stove" bolt. The EW-7975-A-1 has recesses built into the mount and this is ideal unit.

http://www.boltdepot.com/images/catalog/machine-screw-phillips-flat.gif

It looks great on all of the frames...very clean with the custom chainstay mount. The AE builds out great because of the huge down-tube to house the cables. The SE takes a bit more fanangling to get the wires oriented, this would happen with any round tubed frame. It is a full internal...so the traditional BB shell mounted cable interface is stored in the bottom of the down tube.

We have made special head tube lower lugs that does not have the head-on adjuster area...similiar to the 1st generation Meivici's...so you would need to specify if the frame is going to be DI2 only or if you would still want the possibility of running a traditionally cabled system.

If you haven't experienced how the system works you need to....it is most impressive!

oldpotatoe
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Not sure you'd want to retrofit. Haven't tried it myself, but I trust Soren and he says it is the best shifting experience around...

Although I'm holding out for electronic campy...

Don't know why you would retro fit except if you sold the frame and it's Di2 only, it may be tough to sell it.

It works really well, as good as any cable system but more consistently over time. EXpensive plus falling can be a multi thousand fix..lever(s) and rear der, for instance, would be about $2000.

It shifts no 'better' than a cable system. Push button or lever and chain moves. Di2 is slower in terms of going to a lower gear..one at a time.

Front der shifting due to very stiff chainring..improves a cable system as well.

More consistent performance over time since no cable wear, breakage, housing degradation...ya can rip a ripe a wire out tho and if you break a fitting off, that wiring harness

happycampyer
12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I suppose that, rather than retrofitting, the more likely scenario is upgrading to wireless Di[x], in which case you would need little rubber plugs to plug up the holes where the cables enter and exit the frame...

victoryfactory
12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't think any manufacturer is doing a good job of intergrating Di2 personally. I know it means a bit of extra work but the potential for such a pretty bike is being missed. The best I've seen so far is Colnago's C59 which intergrates the controller in to the stem. You should check out Weight Weenies forum. A few garage tinkerers have placed the battery inside the seat post and have pretty much everything else within the frame. If these guys can figure it out why can't Shimano?

I think Shimano wants help from builders to bring this to the next level.
They put out a basic design and they want the industry to integrate it.

Maybe that's why they signed on as a sponsor at the hand made show in
Richmond. They wanted prospective customers and custom builders to
think about using Di2.

They had a Di2 bike on a trainer and it was impressive.

I think it will come, especially as Shimano has more of their sponsored riders use it.

VF

happycampyer
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Here are some shots of the MeiVici mentioned previously. Super clean.

Ahneida Ride
12-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I
They had a Di2 bike on a trainer and it was impressive.
VF

Impressive is an understatement. It's addictive.
I warn you not to demo Di2.

It's Porsche PDK vs. 6 speed.

The Stick is slower. I think I still want the stick. With the Stick, I
integrate with the 911. A downshift from third to second is just deliciously
macho.

I just need some Phorum member to wishing to upgrade their 911 to
PDK, donate their 6 speed to me. ;)

nahtnoj
12-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Shimano designs a system. It is up to the frame manufacturers to decide how to use it. Inside the seat tube? Totally not practical from a production standpoint, especially considering how many high-end bikes are doing away with the seat post.

crownjewelwl
12-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Impressive is an understatement. It's addictive.
I warn you not to demo Di2.

It's Porsche PDK vs. 6 speed.

The Stick is slower. I think I still want the stick. With the Stick, I
integrate with the 911. A downshift from third to second is just deliciously
macho.

I just need some Phorum member to wishing to upgrade their 911 to
PDK, donate their 6 speed to me. ;)

NEVER...PDK is for sissies!!!

spartacus
12-12-2010, 02:01 PM
So is Shimano providing different battery housing shapes for different mounting positions on a frame?

Why not just make an ice hockey puck shaped housing that slots into the bottom of a water bottle cage?

spartacus
12-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Here are some shots of the MeiVici mentioned previously. Super clean.

Thanks for the pix. It looks like a nicely crafted solution. The rubber wire plugs look discreet, especially on a natural carbon frame.

SHOCK
12-12-2010, 03:51 PM
When there was first news about Campy having electronic capabilities a few years ago it looked like they had integrated it into the bottom of a proprietary cage. I really think that would be the way to go as well...although then they would need to sell a matching cage for your other mount. You just can't have non-matching cages...

Shimano makes a long mount (water-bottle cage placement) and a short cage with 2 two different wire lengths. The short is for chainstay mounts and the long is for seat post mounts...a la Felt....

LegendRider
12-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Di2 can be run on non-Di2 specific frames, correct? Anyone have a good picture of one? I'm curious to see what the wiring looks like.

A friend of mine is about to pull the trigger on a Wilier Cento 1 and he's trying to decide between the standard and Di2. He's leaning toward the standard frame so he has the option to run 7900.

spartacus
12-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Di2 can be run on non-Di2 specific frames, correct? Anyone have a good picture of one? I'm curious to see what the wiring looks like.

A friend of mine is about to pull the trigger on a Wilier Cento 1 and he's trying to decide between the standard and Di2. He's leaning toward the standard frame so he has the option to run 7900.

http://www.cento1.it/DI2.htm

The rear derailleur "ICS" reference brings with it the promise of high tech sophistication, but comes out as "Inside Cable System". Funny. Marketing babble gets in everywhere these days. :rolleyes:

I think Di2 can be run on any frame for a band-on FD - haven't seen a braze-on option for a classic rust bucket.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2010, 07:34 AM
http://www.cento1.it/DI2.htm

The rear derailleur "ICS" reference brings with it the promise of high tech sophistication, but comes out as "Inside Cable System". Funny. Marketing babble gets in everywhere these days. :rolleyes:

I think Di2 can be run on any frame for a band-on FD - haven't seen a braze-on option for a classic rust bucket.

shimano has a brazeon Di2 FDers and also a shim for their 31.8 clamp to work on 28.6mm frames.

spartacus
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
shimano has a brazeon Di2 FDers and also a shim for their 31.8 clamp to work on 28.6mm frames.

Interesting that it decided to that, and I'm guessing the thinking is why restrict sales of a product with a small customer base to an even smaller one.

Is the system capable of withstanding the harshness of winter riding, and mud and grunge? Is there a stated lowest operating temperature?

oldpotatoe
12-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Interesting that it decided to that, and I'm guessing the thinking is why restrict sales of a product with a small customer base to an even smaller one.

Is the system capable of withstanding the harshness of winter riding, and mud and grunge? Is there a stated lowest operating temperature?

Yes number 1 and no to number 2. It seems to be able to survive really ugly cross riding/racing. Well sealed, actually really hard to connect the cables..need a wee tool and also to disconnect. Hope they never go wireless.

SoCalSteve
12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
NEVER...PDK is for sissies!!!

If PDK is for sissies,is DI2 the same?

crownjewelwl
12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
If PDK is for sissies,is DI2 the same?

not the same thing. the shifting may be smoother, but the rider's action is the same.

if you can't use a clutch, you shouldn't be driving a Porsche!