PDA

View Full Version : Aero Wheels...SRAM vs Amer Classic vs ?

hairylegs
12-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Team:

There's a chance I might be able to con the wife into getting me.....RACE WHEELS for the holidays! I'm looking for a durable workhorse of a wheelset that I can basically leave on my LOOK Tribike...but I might occasionally put the wheels on the roadie too. I want to be able to train with'em - yep, I'll be one of those guys....

Anyway, I'm looking at a few different wheels so far, and they've gotta be around $800 max unfortunately.

I'm thinking either SRAM S40/60 or those American Classics Aeros. I hear amazing things about the Reynolds Assaults, but they're out of my league ($), I recon...

Would love opinions and/or ideas. Also, is it possible to convert these wheels to tubeless using Stan's? Not that I'd do it immediately, but I'd certainly be intrigued by it...it seems like a matter of time before they start coming out with tubeless aero wheels....which makes me think I should wait.

But I'd love any thoughts you've got in the meantime!

Thanks all!

thegunner
12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
wait for the assaults or mavic cosmic carbone's to show up on bonktown... then they're ~800 if that's what you really want.

rice rocket
12-08-2010, 09:49 PM
New or used?

hairylegs
12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm fine with used, but would basically have to forward a listing to her if used, so that kinda breaks up the idea....

How are those Cosmic Carbones SLR that I've seen for $1000? Are they durable enough for daily use?

thegunner
12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm fine with used, but would basically have to forward a listing to her if used, so that kinda breaks up the idea....

How are those Cosmic Carbones SLR that I've seen for $1000? Are they durable enough for daily use?

pretty bombproof as far as aero wheels go. the aluminum brake track is nice if you don't want to switch out your pads to carbon specific all the time.

rice rocket
12-09-2010, 08:11 AM
If it's primarily for Tri/TT, go even deeper. Sram S80/Flashpoint FP80's go used for $400/each on eBay.