PDA

View Full Version : 105 pin for 7800 chain?

maxdog
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I just had to break a perfectly good 7800 chain, in order to swap it to another bike. Funny thing is when I purchased a 105 chain for my beater, it came with 2 pins, yet when I got the substantially more expensive 7800, it only came with 1.
Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues, before I use the 105 pin in the 7800? Thanks.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I just had to break a perfectly good 7800 chain, in order to swap it to another bike. Funny thing is when I purchased a 105 chain for my beater, it came with 2 pins, yet when I got the substantially more expensive 7800, it only came with 1.
Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues, before I use the 105 pin in the 7800? Thanks.

As long as the 105 chain is 10s..no problema..

tlc4bikes
12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Shimano does what Shimano wants to do. But at least their chain pins are interchangable. A 10 speed pin is a 10 speed pin. We will be using more chain pins now that Shimano replaced the chain guide fixing srew with a rivet. This sucks.

maxdog
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks OP and tlc.
Btw OP, nice looking shop, and like your mission statement. Wish you were out here in my neck of the woods.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks OP and tlc.
Btw OP, nice looking shop, and like your mission statement. Wish you were out here in my neck of the woods.

From the website?

The asian looking guy is my former biz partner who embezeled over $100,000 from me, gone since Jan 14th( I fired him in lieu of arrest or a murder charge on me). He is a scumbag, liar, thief, fraud. Recovered about 2/3 of the $.

Been trying to get my webmaster to change the pic for almost a year...might be time for another......

Thanks for the other kind words, we are lucky to be in the 'republic'...35 square miles surrounded by reality.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Shimano does what Shimano wants to do. But at least their chain pins are interchangable. A 10 speed pin is a 10 speed pin. We will be using more chain pins now that Shimano replaced the chain guide fixing srew with a rivet. This sucks.

Wipperman links are your friend.

tlc4bikes
12-08-2010, 03:49 PM
No thank you about the Wipperman links. I use KMC most of the time. The shape of the link mirrors the shape of the original chain plate - so I use KMC and sometimes Sram links. I am sure Wipperman links work very well with Wipperman chains. Personally I will never use a Wipperman chain. 20+ years ago they made some of the best/longest wearing chains around. Since the late late 80's Wipperman has been on a losing end when it comes to shifting. Chain link design went thru some changes and I started to go with Shimano chains on Shimano transmissions & Campi chain with Campi transmissions and now Sram with Sram transmission. For the most part all these chains (including KMC chains) are interchangable with the various component brands. I also think that they all work better than the Wipperman chain.

I know there are many Wipperman chain users out there and I do not want the wrath of Wipperman lovers out there to send hate mail. :D I am just stating my personal opinion. :)

oldpotatoe
12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
No thank you about the Wipperman links. I use KMC most of the time. The shape of the link mirrors the shape of the original chain plate - so I use KMC and sometimes Sram links. I am sure Wipperman links work very well with Wipperman chains. Personally I will never use a Wipperman chain. 20+ years ago they made some of the best/longest wearing chains around. Since the late late 80's Wipperman has been on a losing end when it comes to shifting. Chain link design went thru some changes and I started to go with Shimano chains on Shimano transmissions & Campi chain with Campi transmissions and now Sram with Sram transmission. For the most part all these chains (including KMC chains) are interchangable with the various component brands. I also think that they all work better than the Wipperman chain.

I know there are many Wipperman chain users out there and I do not want the wrath of Wipperman lovers out there to send hate mail. :D I am just stating my personal opinion. :)

Thanks for the opinion on Wipperman CHAINS..on that I agree but I've sold maybe 500-600 Wipperman links, 8s, 9s and 20s..they work, don't make noise, don't come unhooked. KMC are nice also and I try to stay away from sram..particularly 10s chains.

Back to the point about shimano pins..KMC links are your friend..since you can't split the FD cage on shimano Fders.

I sell shimano, Campagnolo and KMC chains..thanks no thanks for sram or wipperman.