PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Advice & Suggestions

trophyoftexas
12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
About three years ago I sold my Yeti and the GF Cake Delux 2 that I had and gave up mountain biking...at 60 I just sorta figured that I didn't need to put myself in some of those situations that caused me to come home scrapped, cut, bleeding, and bruised! I was never a serious mountain biker, just enjoyed the offroad experience every once in a while and being somewhat of a gearhead I enjoyed the suspensions, XTR-quality shifting, disc brakes, the nicer stuff that didn't come on an offroad bike when I was way younger. I never pushed my abilities so far as to make it dangerous for myself, I've always preferred riding woodland trails with some whoop dee do's thrown in but I'm not much of a downhiller or suspension bridge crosser.

Well for some unknown reason I've decided I need a new mountain bike and here's were I need some advice....I know I want full suspension, disc brakes, high quality components (but I know NOTHING about Sram but need to learn), and I don't know anything about 29er's or carbon for a mountain bike frame. I'm looking to spend 2-4K but am probably NOT willing to spend wait-time for a custom so what's out there stock that y'all would recommend? Carbon for a mountain bike seems sorta risky but then again I won't push too hard anyway. I like the nice stuff, I like the good stuff...and I don't like to find myself in the "damn, wish I'd spent a little more and got that one" mood! I have thought about waiting until February and check out what's up at the NAHBS show in Austin but I've got the "now's" pretty bad! Help me out here a little bit! I was in "wow" mode last week when I saw a guy over at my lbs pick up a new Santa Cruz in BRIGHT orange, 29er, carbon...REALLY like the look (I think they are ALL ugly but this was perhaps "less ugly" than anything else!) but again, I know NOTHING about carbon for a mtb or 29er's!

Jack Brunk
12-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Santa Cruz Tallboy's have received pretty much great reviews all of the country for their performance. At 2k plus for frame it's a really good value. I think your budget at 4k may not net you the ride quality that your looking for. You may also not like how the bike rides at a weight range of 25-28 pounds depending on your budget. I would go test ride a carbon 29er hardtail. Check out the Niner Air9 carbon, Ellsworth Enlightenment 29er, Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er which will save you maybe 3-5 pounds and with the right wheels will provide you with a top quality ride. The wheels will be as critical in your choice as is the frames. Good luck!

rnhood
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
That Santa Cruz Tallboy is a really nice bike. The Specialized Epic Comp will be about $3K and some change, and is an excellent bike (and value). The Pivot 429 is also highly regarded. These three will give you full suspension. Cannondale's Flash is a good hardtail choice, for a competitive price.

You can get a good full suspension carbon 29'er for $3K in the Epic Comp so, go ride one and use it as your benchmark as you continue to look around and test ride others. There are lot of good 29 bikes out there.

redir
12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Hardtail 29'r are good bikes for the style of riding and the terrain as you described.

Kane
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Don't buy a 29er unless you are six foot plus and live in an area with no mountains. 29er wheels are heavy.
The carbon frame by Ibis is probably the best value on the market in your price range. Spend the 4k and get the model with a really good fork. The ultra lightweight ibis carbon frame is a waste of money. Put your money in upgraded wheels and front shock.
Turner or pivot make some of the nicest Al frames. I like Turners better for design philosophy (durable bushings with a zerk fitting etc.).
Five to five and a half inches of travel like a five spot probably gives you the best and most versatile ride.
There are a lot of luddite road bike riders ( :banana: ) on this forum who would put you on a steel hardtail. Resist the temptation.
Don't buy a Santa Cruz. They are no where near the ride of a DW suspension design.
Stay away from any Specialized frame with a propriety shock.
Trek is a big yawn if you are riding on rough surfaces, until they copied dw's single pivot at the rear axel design, but they have a good rep for backing up their product.
Cheers,

97CSI
12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Don't buy a 29er unless you are six foot plus and live in an area with no mountains. 29er wheels are heavy.
There are a lot of luddite road bike riders ( :banana: ) on this forum who would put you on a steel hardtail. Resist the temptation.
Cheers,Darn........ I was going to suggest that great Scapin HT with SID front-end and disc brake listed in the classifieds (mine) until you said that. :cool: At 63 I've been advised to stop MTB'g with my new hip joint. You're never too old to have fun. Wish I could continue, but having this done once is enough.
Used to ride the trails up around Ray Roberts and in West Plano. Great places to have some fun. Fell over into the grass once in W. Plano. Must have had a thousand chigger bites. Never rode without bug-spray after that.

BillG
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Or you are weak. Tell that to Heather Irmiger.

Jack Brunk
12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Or you are weak. Tell that to Heather Irmiger.
I think Kane was joking or he's been drinking heavily. 29er's are the best thing since sliced bread. I did 60 plus miles and over 10,000 feet of climbing this last weekend on my 29ers and I'm faster and stronger and a better rider because of my 29ers. Even with a bunch of mountains around. :beer:

daylate$short
12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Hardtail 29'r are good bikes for the style of riding and the terrain as you described.

+1 For the type of riding you describe, I can't see how a rear suspension would help unless you have serious back problems. I'd pick up a 29er hardtail and spend my money on some light wheels set up tubeless. For your budget, you could find something in TI - Lynskey, Vassago, Salsa, (IF you can't wait for an IF :) ). I can't see the value of Carbon for a mountain bike, but that's just me...

FWIW I am about your age and had both options till I sold my full suspension bike for lack of use.