PDA

View Full Version : Help - CIII or CDA

cc60006
05-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Are the Carbon Stays on the CDA worth $300 over the CIII? I'm ultimately going to have a custom Legend ST built, but am looking at a CDA or A CIII as an interim bike until the Legend ST is done. Any thoughts as to which I should buy? I'm getting a great deal on both. It will be used for climbing, sprinting and aggressive group rides.....HELP!!!

Needs Help
05-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Are the Carbon Stays on the CDA worth $300 over the CIII?Yes!

I'm ultimately going to have a custom Legend ST built, but am looking at a CDA or A CIII as an interim bike until the Legend ST is done. It might be nice to have a bike without carbon stays to go along with your Legend and its ST stays. However, you should note that the CDA carbon stays and the ST carbon stays are different. The ST stays have pivots at the attachment point to the dropout while the CDA stay is fixed at the dropout attachment point. The pivot creates a hinge, which provides a limited amount of travel with the ST stays. In one of their catalogs a few years ago, Serotta pointedly and emphatically denounced the use of carbon in the rear triangle of bikes saying it provided no benefit. Then, Serotta came out with the ST carbon stay and said it was revolutionary because of the pivot, and that the pivot provided a benefit. However, since the CDA doesn't have a pivot, by Serotta's own testimony, the CDA carbon stay does not provide any benefit. It sure looks nice though.

vaxn8r
05-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Are you serious?

You've already decided on a Legend ST, with CF stays. But you have no idea if the CDA is worth it over the CIII?

What's wrong with this picture?

vaxn8r
05-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Maybe Need's Help answered that. I still don't get it. You're going to have to wait on any of these bikes to be built. Or do you just really want two new bikes right now?

Needs Help
05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
It sounds like the LBS has a CIII and a CDA in stock, which the poster is considering buying to ride while their Legend ST is being built. :)

g3neration
05-06-2005, 10:05 PM
I say go with that Ebay Serotta Ottrot!!!!!!!!! :D or is that one gone already? :p

cc60006
05-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

spiderman
05-07-2005, 07:49 AM
steel serotta frame (colorado crl), rode it about a year
and consider it a successful serotta rescue project!
now my wife rides it and loves the bike!
that's what i did before i worked up enough bravery
to buy a new serotta frame (ottrott st)...
...i honestly haven't yet worked up enough courage
to have a frameset built up for me...
partly because i'm a 55 cm off the rack kind of guy...
...in some ways it really helps being 'average'...
i'm sure your lbs appreciates finding a good home
for one of their steel frames, though.
to me, the cIII
looks like the ultimate steel machine.
if i were able to make the choice for a second bike...
...i'd go with the cIII in a heart beat, set it up for cyclocross
and ride the thing on or off road like a madman!