PDA

View Full Version : Low normal to top normal? XTR

rpettet
12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Can you change a low normal rear XTR der. to top normal?

Thanks

weaponsgrade
12-07-2010, 12:11 AM
According to my research: no. I mistakenly bought whatever was the backwards one is. According to some it offers better shifting, but it took me a real long time to get used to it; which is kinda weird b/c I can flip b/w campy, sram, and shimano systems just fine. Maybe it was the fact that these road systems were just different (not opposite) while the XTR RD was opposite. Anyway, after many backwards shifts I'm used to it now.

Ralph
12-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Off subject.....But the reverse action Shimano RD's sure work good with Bar Con friction shifters on road bike. I set up a daily rider a few years ago with a XTR RD and Bar Cons, and 8 speed rear.

oldpotatoe
12-07-2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks

Yes, of course. They are both the same dimensions..just the spring pulls the chain to the small cog, highest gear instead of it pulling it to the big cog/low gear when the inner wire isn't attached.

theprep
12-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks

I think your question is "can you swap the spring" and have your Low Normal Der. function like a traditional Top Normal Der?

No - you will need to buy a new derailleur.

palincss
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes, of course. They are both the same dimensions..just the spring pulls the chain to the small cog, highest gear instead of it pulling it to the big cog/low gear when the inner wire isn't attached.

I think the OP was asking if you could convert a low normal derailleur to high normal functioning, not could you replace it with a new high normal.

rpettet
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I believe I understand. I can't change it and my shift lever operation will be reversed?