PDA

View Full Version : CSi and Luigino

Climb01742
02-01-2004, 09:48 AM
has anyone ridden (or owned) both a CSi and a pegoretti luigino? your impressions would be greatly appreciated.

dnovo
02-01-2004, 10:04 AM
dbrk and I both have a CSi and at least one Luigino. I have one of the blue frames from the original series, as well as a 2003 which were done in very, very small numbers in a road configuration as that was the first year for the two-piece double plate fork crown, now offered in this year's road model and a bit different from the 2003 "Pista" version shown at their site. They had a bitch of a time getting my fork built with the mounting for a brake, so mine may be the only one of the white/red Luiginos in a road configuration (brakes and Campy rear dropouts NOS old school like the 2003 blue frames) out there. And, I am not sure the 2004 Lugino road frames use the NOS Campy old school parts. Ask Nelson at Gita since I don't think any of the 2004 have hit the US yet, other than the 2003 Interbike model.

My impressions can be summed up simply and briefly: Superb. I love my CSi, but given the choice and having to keep only one, the Luigino would be the keeper. Dave N. (who still can't force himself to sell off the blue frame he stripped to outfit the white and red one, just too dear to part with easily.)

Climb01742
02-01-2004, 10:13 AM
dave n, it seems both you and douglas have or are switching from first version of luigino to a new one. may i ask why? any dissatisfaction with luigino 1.0, or was there just something sweeter about version 2.0? thanks.

dnovo
02-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Not an issue of 'lack of satisfaction' at all. The 03 and 04 use the new Pegoretti double plate fork crown, and the white/red paint scheme on the 03 'sang' to me. The ride is virtually identical on both, as is the use of the NOS old school Campy parts (at least on the 02 and 03.) I ordered the 03 custom built as a road frame based on the fork and the paint scheme, not because I was less than happy with my 02 Luigino. The 04 didn't do that much for me, and I am very happy with my 03, so no interest in the newer model here.

Indeed, I would recommend that if anyone wants the last 02 NOS available, and the size works for you, Bikes by Kyle has one left, or at least they did the last time I checked their site, and that is the very last NOS still out there. Price will be much better than an 04 too. Dave N.

dbrk
02-01-2004, 12:05 PM
I have a new Luigino on order because I was so thrilled with the first and because Dario was willing not only to meet my sizing requests but also to use some odd bits, perhaps even older tubing (maybe Excell!!). So it wasn't dissatisfaction that led me to another, it was the notion of advancing an already good thing. Dario loves to do new things, different things, even if those different things are old things. He's also a real pleasure in every way, a true character in a world of so much banal genericism.

I would take up the CSi/Luigino comparison from two perspectives: aesthetic and functional. Serotta's CC tubes may not (imho) provide any functional superiority over what Dario and others might choose but they are sure beautiful and distinctive. There is everything to like about the profile of a CSi. Add in the TdF lugs and it's quite a sight because these lugs have a minimalist beauty that deserves every commendations. I wish the same could be said for the very uninspired steel fork crowns (plain HJs) if you can now get Serotta to make a steel fork and are willing to pay the (ridiculous, I might add, ed. note) price. So add a nice steel fork to the CSi and you have fantastic look, very nice construction (mine is likely a Kirk build), and plenty upon which to gaze in winter months. In comparision a Luigino is a very different sort of bike, though one wonders if there will be any "production" examples this year. My older bike, like the one that dnovo has, a slew of old bits but Dario has promised me more but other old bits and the split plate fork crown on the incoming one. This is a very different aesthetic: not modern in the least but old school even if it uses a modern sized toptube (i.e., not one inch). I've left the details up to Dario but have asked for lots of small, interesting things including the over the bb cable routing and the rest, plus a threaded fork since, well, I'd never order a steel bike any other way. These are different sorts of aesthetics, each is pleasing, and I am glad not to choose between them.

I would rate my current Luigino (a 57 c-c) as a tad too small and truly, deeply, oh so much wish I had gotten the 60 (what WAS I thinking...). So mine rides a bit aggressively for me but very stable and very sweet. My custom CSi of last year is a better fit, so the ride comparison is not fair because I like taller bikes. Both ride beautifully, as nicely as any bike. For "race" bikes I would say these bikes are on a par with my very, very best steel rides: Sachs and Goodrich built Rivendell "racer."

When push comes to shove I'd have to pick the Luigino because as wonderful as the CSi is, it's still a production bike and the Luigino is the work of one man in his shop. That's mojo you can't compare and the rest is all to your tastes.

dbrk

Climb01742
02-01-2004, 03:50 PM
dave and douglas,
thank you both for your detailed and insightful answers.
climb.