PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with MODOLO QUATTRO Calipers?

ultraman6970
12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Found a full set of brakes and brake levers but i have been familiar with modolo brakes at all, anybody familiar with the quattro model? I know are not double pivot so probably the braking levers are pretty rough compared with the shimano 105 from the same era that was double pivot and with SLR. I might be wrong anyways thats why im asking.

Anybody??

Thanks.

fogrider
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I test rode a bike many years ago with modolo brakes, trust me on this, DO NOT GET THEM! if you can, test ride them...they will barely slow you down. I grew up with vintage campy brakes, and the modolo were maybe half as good.

dave thompson
12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Vintage Modolo components are bringing big money (relatively speaking) because of the rising interest in vintage bikes and the attempts to make them 'period correct'. The new Modolo components are cheap because they are cheap; low tier entry level stuff.

Spend maybe more money for good stuff, there's been lots of good recommendations here. Don't be cheap, be thrifty. Putting crap components on your bike won't make you happy.

ultraman6970
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Thats what i needed to read...

kestrel
12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I have an old Raleigh with Modolo Speedy's on it. While they take a bit more pressure than other brakes I have, they are by no means unsafe. The vintage Campy I run are a bit better. Of course, I also have a fixie with no brakes and never have a problem getting stopped.

fogrider
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I have an old Raleigh with Modolo Speedy's on it. While they take a bit more pressure than other brakes I have, they are by no means unsafe. The vintage Campy I run are a bit better. Of course, I also have a fixie with no brakes and never have a problem getting stopped.

the thing about cycling is that most of the time, your speed is not more than 15 mph. and when you're bombing down the back roads with no stop lights, there is no need to stop. but if you're diving into traffic with mini vans and peds, you may need something more than the worst brakes made. I mean really.

Blue Jays
12-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Modolo Professionals seemed decent back in the day.
The sintered brakepads were a bit abrasive, though.

Gothard
12-08-2010, 01:31 AM
As Douglas Brooks once told me: "they are more speed modulators than real brakes"...

Polyglot
12-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Speaking of the period of late 70's and early 80's, Modolo Speedy brakes worked perfectly fine with fresh brake pads. They worked just as well as Campagnolo Record brakes of the same period that cost at least 4 times as much. If you ever rode a bike with Speedy brakes that did not work , they were either not set up properly or had hardened brake pads. Other Modolo models that were closer in price to the Campagnolo worked BETTER than Campagnolo. The one and only model of Modolo brakes that truly did not work were the Kronos aerodynamic brakes. These truly did not work at any time with any pads. These deserve to be known as speed modulators, but all the other models were generally at least as good as anything else in the same price range. The Modolo anatomic lever hoods were a common upgrade over Campagnolo ones.

ultraman6970
12-08-2010, 07:14 AM
The levers is something i like from the modolo and if i can get them cheap... That reminds me to take a look to ebay...

MerckxMad
12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm with Polyglot. Speedy with new sintered pads are more effective than equivalent Campys of the day. Are they the equivalent of today's dual pivot marvels? Probably not. Will they stop you? Yes.

Polyglot
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm with Polyglot. Speedy with new sintered pads are more effective than equivalent Campys of the day. Are they the equivalent of today's dual pivot marvels? Probably not. Will they stop you? Yes.

I would venture to say that Modolo brakes with equivalent brake pads work as well as modern dual pivots, with the exception that they require more hand strength because of lesser leverage from the levers and much more powerful caliper springs. I would prefer teh modern dual pivots because of the ease of braking but the ultimate braking power will be similar with sufficient power. The Modolo caliper springs will outlast anything found on newer brakes.

ultraman6970
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks!

sg8357
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Just remember to get in the drops if you need to stop NOW.
Braking from the hoods is marginal aka speed modulator.
And toss the vintage cables that came in the box, modern
brake housing is much better.

Polyglot
12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Just remember to get in the drops if you need to stop NOW.
Braking from the hoods is marginal aka speed modulator.
And toss the vintage cables that came in the box, modern
brake housing is much better.

This is not true! You need to set the brakes up in such a way that the brake lever will not bottom out against the handlebars, but do have a reasonable amount of travel. You should not set them up in such a way that the pads are right up against the rim like you are obliged to do with so many modern brakes with super flexible caliper arms. I would in fact suggest that you always keep the original Modolo cables over modern ones as they have virtually no flex or stretch whatsoever.

kestrel
12-08-2010, 01:48 PM
the thing about cycling is that most of the time, your speed is not more than 15 mph. and when you're bombing down the back roads with no stop lights, there is no need to stop. but if you're diving into traffic with mini vans and peds, you may need something more than the worst brakes made. I mean really.

Cool thing about opinions. Yours would be never to own a set of Modolos, mine is that I have owned and continue to own a set of Speedy's and never for a minute in country, city, normal and emergency situations of riding since 1981 have I experienced an unsafe stop with them.

fogrider
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Cool thing about opinions. Yours would be never to own a set of Modolos, mine is that I have owned and continue to own a set of Speedy's and never for a minute in country, city, normal and emergency situations of riding since 1981 have I experienced an unsafe stop with them.

I have never owned a ford pinto either...I have test ridden modolos back in the day. and to say that they work as good as campy brakes if they were setup correctly is not saying much. I mean really, I don't think of myself as needing powerful brakes...I mean I want to faster, and I would not be able to recommend modolo brakes and sleep knowing that it would put someone on the road with them.

Polyglot
12-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I have never owned a ford pinto either...I have test ridden modolos back in the day. and to say that they work as good as campy brakes if they were setup correctly is not saying much. I mean really, I don't think of myself as needing powerful brakes...I mean I want to faster, and I would not be able to recommend modolo brakes and sleep knowing that it would put someone on the road with them.

An incompetent mechanic must have set them up. That is all that I can say. I used a set of Modolo Speedy brakes on an 8 month circumnavigation of the North America with a fully loaded bike. I crossed 9000 plus feet mountain passes, rode through deserts, snowstorms... everything and every where and never one single hesitation or sketchy stop for the whole ride.

kestrel
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Again, let me restate, we have differing opinions. My opinion is Modolos are safe brakes. I've owned a Corvair Spyder, a Pinto, an Oldsmobile Cutlass, two Mercedes, three Volvos (2-145's and a 242), a Corvette Z-06, several Hondas, a Peugeot 403, three Volkswagens (early beetle, fastback, GTI), an early Pontiac GTO, an Infiniti Q-45, a Porsche 356B, Austin Healey bugeyes, 3000's and later model Sprites, several F-150s and probably a few other automobiles that I've long since forgotten. All are distinctly different vehicles with different intended uses. I used them all for transportation. Never felt unsafe in any of them. Always maintained them to factory specs. or better. Each an enjoyable machine in their own right. It's the driver's or rider's responsibility to manage the situation while piloting a machine. Accidents happen regardless of the equipment involved (that's why they call them ACCIDENTS not onpurposes[sic]). The human operator uses good sense and responsible operation of machinery to stay within their abilities.