PDA

View Full Version : Wool caps

tele
12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Looking for experience with wool caps. I have been using a windproof under helmet beanie type thing. It works ok but I sweat through it, presumably it doesnt breathe-- this leads to some cold moments on the dome.
Anyone use a wool cap under their helmet? Do you think they would breathe and be better than what I have know?

Kevin

Walter
12-06-2010, 06:35 AM
I use a thin Craft cap made of a synthetic performance fabric that breathes. Surprisingly warm in winter (keeps the wind off the head with a helmet with a lot ot vents), yet not hot when it gets warmer. The advantage of the thin fabric is that the helmet still fits.

sjbraun
12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Check the offerings from Smartwool.

www.smartwool.com

xjoex
12-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Check the offerings from Smartwool.

www.smartwool.com

I have two, only because my wife stole my first one! The Smartwool Training Beanie is where it is at! It fits under a helmet and over your ears. I have had mine for years and it really stands up to washing.

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Accessories/-/Hats/2500/

Joe

titans
12-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Ibex Zepher merino wool cap at$ 25. Our club has them and they are great. Pulls down to cover ears.

Songline
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I also have an Ibex wool cap. It's great; no complaints.

goonster
12-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I tend to sweat with wool caps too, but never suffer from "cold moments under the dome".

The Smartwool caps are very good, but the missus just bought several pieces of Icebreaker 200-weight baselayer gear, including a balaclava, and that stuff is amazing. Available from MEC.

buldogge
12-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I've got a Sugoi Wallaroo 290 wool cycling cap with ear flaps...works well so far...although it's 20deg today and I have not ridden!

I agree with goonster BTW...The Icebreaker stuff is really nice...last one I bought was one of the hoodies...super nice addition.

-Mark in St. Louis

gdw
12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Another vote for Ibex, either the Meru or Zepher.

RJR
12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I've got several. The smartwool beanies are the bomb. I've got one that's a bit "shorter" and one that's "longer." The longer one is nice because you can flip it up to get a double layer on your ears.

If you like a brim, I do dig the Rapha cap...it's not as windproof as some, but works okay for me. I also bought one from Zank...I think it's a Vermarc . Not wool, but better windproofing.

Steve K
12-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I use a fair amount of Ice Breaker gear for base layers (t-shirts, hats, glove liner). Nice stuff different weights to pick from.

tele
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Do the caps from Zank and Rapha fit under helmets? I know I would look much cooler with those than a beanie.

edmoses
12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
The Rapha winter hat fits under a helmet, you need to loosen the straps, but no other problems under my Giro over the last couple of years.

Ed

chuckred
12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Just got one as a freebie and put it on for the first time the other day. Was standing around waiting for the team ride to start and it was a little bit chilly (high 30's). It warmed me up instantly and fit under the helmet. But, I had to take it off before we started to ride as I was already toasty. I think it would be perfect in high 20's - low 30's (assuming dry).

vpierce1
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
If you want something that breathes a bit try a gaiter type beanie with the draw strings. I think they work nice for all kinds of conditions this time of year.

fiamme red
12-06-2010, 03:02 PM
http://shop.little-package.com/shop/category/caps

sherok
12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I love my Ibex wool cap! For ultimate ear warmth combine the Pearl Izumi Transfer Headband with the wool Ibex cap.

Not the Slowest
12-06-2010, 03:23 PM
We all suffer from weak spots on our body, some suffer more than others.

In the winter it may be be your Toes, Ears, Nose, Neck or Eyes (yes eyes) and of course fingers.

Beyond that the biggest issue is staying WARM & DRY. I tend to sweat on my head and neck and then my upper Torso. I'm almost 6 ft and weigh 215lbs so this could make sense.Then again skinny folks and especially women suffer tend to suffer from the cold abit more quickly. Perhaps thinner folks sweat less but I believe part of this is
genetics.

Okay, what am I saying? I wear different head gear not just based on the
1) Actual Temperature
2) Real feel temps
3) Wind speed and gusts
4) EFFORT on the ride.

I believe that the 4th-effort is a very critical factor in one size does not fit all.

My solution to prevent riding with my head wetter than need be on a 60 mile hammer fest in the winter is simple.

Bring an extra piece of head gear. Listen you will sweat no matter what you do on a fast ride and less so on a ride say 3-5 mph slower when you may be commuting or just taking in the sights.
Swap the headpiece at your coffee stop, even another inner pair of glove liners or socks takes up little room in your pocket.
The snugger the piece the more you "may" overheat.

I do think the suggestions are great and I use several of them, but the answer is not so simple and you should think about it and get a few pieces to test out

fiamme red
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I'd like to buy a Kucharik wool cap (they have that traditional Euro-pro style), but I'm not sure that the one-size-fits-all will fit my 7 3/8 head without giving me a headache. Anyone here have one and can comment on the sizing?

Lovetoclimb
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Winter cap with the ear flaps and typical cap brim is amazing. Fits under my already tight Lazer helmet, hugs the noggin and wicks moisture incredibly well.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
7 and 3/8? That is small. Try finding something for a 7 and 7/8 head.

fiamme red
12-06-2010, 03:32 PM
7 and 3/8? That is small. Try finding something for a 7 and 7/8 head.Walz has two sizes, Small/Medium (6 3/4 - 7 1/2) and Large/Extra Large (7 1/2 - 8).

http://www.walzcaps.com/index.html

tele
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
the Walz caps look nice, especially for the price. Any experience with them?

Straz
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I have the Walz wool cap with earflaps and like it alot. Very comfortable and nice people to buy from.

Tim

Allanator
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I have a Swerve merino wool cap. They make some quality stuff. No ear flaps or anything, just a traditional cap. But it breathes nicely and keeps me warm on cooler days.

bike22
12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
i've heard much about these zank caps, but have never seen one.

anyone have a picture or a link?

Velosmith
12-07-2010, 09:03 AM
+1 for Walz Caps.

I've been riding with them for a couple of years now. One with ear flaps and one without. I have a lighter one I use in the spring. They really are the best for accommodating a wide range of temps.

For really cold days I default to the Ibex. It's heavier.

You need to be careful of getting things too tight inside the helmet. I use a "winter" helmet. Less vents and slightly larger.

crankles
12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I have both smartwool skull cap and a vintagevelos 'sputnik'. The sputnik is nice on the windy days as it's thicker over the ears than the smartwool but the top is the same thickness so it doesn't get too hot.

microdraft
12-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I had a Swobo merino wool cap for a few years. nice light and just warm enough, also had the extra fabric that wraps around to cover the ears and the neck. Really loved that cap.
couldn't find mine this year and as an early christmas present my boyfriend gave me an LG cap, i believe its cotton, but it keeps me toasty. so far I am extremely happy with it. though I do break a sweat by the time i get to work which is under 2 miles. but i'd rather be warm and a little sweaty than cold with a headache any day.

srice
12-09-2010, 07:23 AM
http://shop.little-package.com/shop/category/caps

+100 on this one. I have several caps from little package including a wool one with ear flaps. This is by far the best winter hat I have ever owned. It actually fits my melon because it was made to my measurements.

mossman
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
zombie thread.

anyone use a lightweight wool cap in the summer heat? or would cotton be the better choice?