PDA

View Full Version : Gonna ride rollers today...give me tips

Kingfisher
12-05-2010, 05:05 AM
A buddy of mine is giving me his set of older kreitler rollers to use for this winter's training. I haven't ridden rollers since 1977 (old set of nashbar's that were so stinking loud that the neighbors below me in my apt about freaked out, so I stopped). For those of you that ride regularly, give me some tips/advice on getting started.

tele
12-05-2010, 05:47 AM
either start in a hallway or have something next to you to hold onto. it wont take long to get the hang of it, it is really not that hard.
check this thread for more info:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=79995&highlight=rollers

R2D2
12-05-2010, 07:38 AM
In between a door jam.

Richard
12-05-2010, 08:00 AM
The most meaningful thing I can think of is to pick a point (imaginary if needed) that is in the distance and straight ahead. This will keep you centered and will keep you from over compensating if you drift right or left. Don't look at your wheels. After all, that is not how you ride on the road, is it.?

stephenmarklay
12-05-2010, 08:11 AM
As your wheel speed increases it becomes easier to balance (I know you know that) so instead of soft pedaling and trying to balance when you get on start off with some speed.

If you can put your hand on something to start up that makes it a lot easier. Nice when you are starting to fall too. Mine are next to a support beam in the garage.

One other thing is that as you try to balance just starting out, try and keep your legs closer to your frame not pulling outward to regain balance. Trying to pedal with your legs pulling outward (in an attempt to regain balance) will pull your front wheel in that direction. Now you have to correct that (likely over correct) and you are now swaying back and forth.

thwart
12-05-2010, 10:53 AM
All of the above is useful stuff.

Don't clip in until you've been on the rollers a couple of times. I actually used a set of flat pedals at first... but I was a complete newbie.

I found that looking at a spot about 15-20 feet ahead works better than off in the distance somewhere.

Odds are, with previous experience, it'll all come back really quickly.

Sort of like riding a bike... ;)

Dekonick
12-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Oh, and make sure you have something to protect the carpet... if you are riding on carpet. If you end up coming off of the rollers, it will leave a nice little burn mark. Been there, done that. After a few attempts it will 'click' and you will 'get it' then it is all about relaxing.

This makes me want to get mine back out...

CPP
12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Every little movement is exaggerated on the rollers. For example, when reaching for your water bottle. Think, then execute

stephenmarklay
12-05-2010, 02:22 PM
The good news about all of this is that eventually you just ride and forget about it.

I ride no hands, one foot drills etc. Soon enough they will become second nature.

One other tip that I like to do is keep my tires inflated pretty hard. You get less bounce this way and that helps a bit especially next week when you are standing :)

echelon_john
12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
door frame.

nudie poster centered on wall 10 feet ahead of you at eye level.

rice rocket
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Start with this drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0&feature=related
;)

Wilkinson4
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Riding rollers is like riding a bike, you never forget how:) Between a door jam but I'll bet after a couple min you will fine. Just maintain your concentration or you may just ride off if you have gotten used to mindless trainer workouts.

mIKE

97CSI
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the link. After watching the guy trying to get started on his red-roller machine it is obvious to me that I'll be staying with my mindless trainer.

regularguy412
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Every little movement is exaggerated on the rollers. For example, when reaching for your water bottle. Think, then execute

+1 on this recommendation.

Another little tip that helped me was to 'remember' to keep my shoulders and arms relaxed, that is, slight elbow bend and keep shoulders pulled down away from your ears. In this way, you don't induce pedaling forces into the steering. Just let the bike 'float' beneath you.

Mike in AR:beer:

rice rocket
12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the link. After watching the guy trying to get started on his red-roller machine it is obvious to me that I'll be staying with my mindless trainer.
Haha. I watched that video too. Looks like he never really got enough speed...and he was trying to correct his direction by steering abruptly.

stephenmarklay
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Haha. I watched that video too. Looks like he never really got enough speed...and he was trying to correct his direction by steering abruptly.

Yep I had to teach this to my 5 year old this summer when we took off her training wheels. One must pedal FAST to stay up.

capybaras
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Set up in a doorway and also have someone stand behind you with their hands on your waist. They won't actually be able to hold you up if you start to fall but they will get you to feel where center is.

fogrider
12-05-2010, 11:07 PM
put some tape about an inch in from the edge of the drums. and like any indoor training, do intervals and watch dvds.

CyclingGuru
12-05-2010, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tF0tK7P_s

You'll do great though :) that guy is like me on rollers...

onekgguy
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
put some tape about an inch in from the edge of the drums. and like any indoor training, do intervals and watch dvds.

That's a bit far to the outside. Once you've gone beyond the tape you're pretty much off the rollers. I've got mine taped 3-4" from the outside and it works real well.

Yep, intervals and DVDs or something to keep your mind occupied is a must...and a fan.

Kevin g