PDA

View Full Version : Besides campy and sram who else is making...

ultraman6970
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Road brake levers?

Campagnolo ones are super expensive and the srams aren't that nice but anybody have actually use or is using sram brake levers??

Thanks.

maxdog
12-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Road brake levers?

Campagnolo ones are super expensive and the srams aren't that nice but anybody have actually use or is using sram brake levers??

Thanks.

Do you mean exclusively brakes, as opposed to brifters? If so, just go old school.

ultraman6970
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Actually thats what i want because it is cheaper i believe unless i can find a 10 speed campy group but i'm thinking in going with D/T shifters and stuff but need the brake levers.

I saw the campagnolo ones and are super expensive, sram have a model, shimano did not improve the design of the brake levers since forever...

Dave
12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Shimano brake levers can still be had.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Brake-Levers-Road/BRLR

Personally, DT shifters would be the last thing I'd want. Brake/shift levers have to be the greatest improvement in the last 20 years.

Campy still makes 10 speed groups, but only at the Centaur and lower levels.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/groupset.asp?action=showframes&sub=conf_GS&type=RIBMO

AngryScientist
12-04-2010, 11:13 AM
i dont know if you're opposed to the idea, but both tektro and cane creek make levers that are almost exactly similar to the campy 10-sp levers as far as ergonomics, i have a set and they rock. they also have the brake quick release built in.

quality is excellent, and they're <$30

http://www.nexternal.com/icycles/images/12077.jpg

AngryScientist
12-04-2010, 11:15 AM
i have them on my single speed. they come in both black and silver, and i'm sure with a little polishing the "tektro" could be made to go away on the levers, but that doesnt bother me.

dave thompson
12-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers work very well. Their logo is very discreet if that's a concern.

maxdog
12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers work very well. Their logo is very discreet if that's a concern.

From what I can see, that's a nice looking build, Tourer I'm guessing, and just my size.

DRB
12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Doubling up on maxdog's thought...d t - more, por favor.
DRB

dave thompson
12-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Your wish....etc...

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1769/como31.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/como31.jpg/)

Pegoready
12-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I can't describe it well, but the Cane Creek and Tektro Campy rip-off levers just feel cheap to me. The Shimano ones (even the Tiagra-levels) have a great, positive feel to them, but we can't have that on a Campy build :)

Gut some worn out Campy-10 or 9 levers. They can be had for <$100 now if you look around.

maxdog
12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks Dave, for revealing all. That's sweeeet! But now I feel so dirty.

dave thompson
12-04-2010, 01:39 PM
From what I can see, that's a nice looking build, Tourer I'm guessing, and just my size.
Yes, and yes. :)

Dave
12-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dave, for revealing all. That's sweeeet! But now I feel so dirty.

Veloce shifters, that come with a complete cable set might be cheaper than some brake levers, cables and DT or bar end shifters, all bought separately.

The new Campy brake hoods are awesome.

ultraman6970
12-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Hmm... thats an awesome sugestion, I'll look into that.

I found a guy in California that is selling a set of modolo brifters, i heard that are pretty comfortable but the shifting part does not suck that much hehehe

oliver1850
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM

dave thompson
12-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Hmm... thats an awesome sugestion, I'll look into that.

I found a guy in California that is selling a set of modolo brifters, i heard that are pretty comfortable but the shifting part does not suck that much hehehe

Modolo shifters have a pretty poor reputation. I don't think even Performance is selling them anymore.

fogrider
12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm building a bike with dt shifters and going with vintage campy brake levers. I agree that brifters are the way to go with modern bikes, but I have 4 other bikes with brifters.

if you have campy calipers, you will need the quick release at the lever. good luck.

dbh
12-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Building up a neo-retro frame with dt shifters, but an otherwise modern drive train. I use the Shimano levers on my Surly Crosscheck, which I commute on. Fantastic levers with no complaints, but I wanted aero levers that are more Campy-esque. Honestly, I couldn't find much new so I settled on C-Record era levers from ebay. About $50 bucks or so, which I didn't think was too bad. If you want non-aero levers, Velo Orange stocks a few nice looking Dia-Compe models.

Louis
12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
I have and use both Campy and Shimano brake levers (I also have some Tektro, but haven't used them yet) and IMO the ergonomic details of the Shimano's are superior.

The best example of this is that on the Campy's the back of the upper section of the lever part is U shaped. When braking you wrap your fingers around the front part of the U and pull and all is well. However, when your hands are "on the hoods" and you wrap your fingers around the hood your index (or middle, depending on what you do with the index finger) finger presses against the back part of the U and the edges dig into you.

Shimamo, realizing this, has a return flange on the back of the top portion of the lever so instead of a U they have a flattened O. When on the hoods your finger presses against a much larger surface area, not the edge of the U and so less pain.

Campy may have since improved their design, but I would not recommend the version I have.

Louis

nahtnoj
12-04-2010, 11:37 PM
What don't you like about the SRAM levers?

I have two sets of the Tektro/Cane Creek levers everyone else is suggesting. The pivots are a little sloppy, but totally acceptable for $25.

SRAM are higher quality, and you can get the alloy ones for about $50. The hoods on these are not quite as large, which is a factor if you have large hands, but the ergonomics of the lever blade are a little nicer IMO.

ultraman6970
12-05-2010, 12:36 AM
HI thnaks for the replies, well sram carbon are like 120 bucks, and yes i sort of like them, the regular version is 60 bucks. Veloce 10 (2011) are like 120 bucks.

Lets see what i can find at ebay :D

Thanks a lot :)

weaponsgrade
12-05-2010, 01:01 AM
I think the cane creeks are really nice especially at the price. I have a set of the older pointy hood ergos for a retro de Rosa slx build but the shape is so not comfortable.

93legendti
12-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I have Tektros on my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro and Shimano Levers on my Salsa. I find the Tektros to be more comfortable.

ultraman6970
12-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Saw sets of modolo brakes and levers at ebay, anybody using them? Compared with shimano SLR (old 90s shimano groups came with slr) are the modolo the same or are hard as a rock type of brakesets?

Thanks.