PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary Campagnolo Serotta 1983 - value?

19wisconsin64
12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I've got a 1983 all original Serotta red metallic bicycle that i'd like opinions of value on it. It's in excellent condition, has all matching Campagnolo 50th anniversary parts, has low miles and little wear on the parts. Very clean, and no evidence of any accidents. All of the gold medallions are intact.

For the past 9 years I've been trading in C Record parts.....mostly because i fell in love with the groupset in college as it was the new groupset at the time, and i could only afford a used Motobecane with cheap parts then. Still have the Motobecane, still ride it, but put on C Record parts. I don't know about the value of Super Record or Nuovo Record era bikes or parts.

So, for a this great bike, what's it worth? I can post a photo or two. It's about a 56 cm bike (seat tube).

Thanks for any advice! Dave

CNY rider
12-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Would love to see some pix. I think many here would and it will help people know more about the bike and possibly what it is worth.

19wisconsin64
12-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Here are two pictures. The bicycle has a great subtle metallic red paint. I bought some new old stock rims (mavic gp 4 tubulars) and some new old stock yellow cello bar tape to fix it up even more.

The top tube is 55 cm center to center, and the seat tube is 56.5 cm center to center, with an 80 cm stand over height.

This is my second Serotta. I had a very cool bike before, a Huffy badged team 7-11 bike. It was Bob Roll's bike. Man, was that thing heavy! Complete with the white Look pedals, it must have weighed about 23 - 25 pounds!

What's it worth? Thanks! Cheers, Dave

BengeBoy
12-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Probably worth more dead than alive.

Strip the bike, sell the parts one by one, sell the frame separately.

If this seems distasteful, don't sell it....because the new owner is likely to do that when he gets it if you sell it intact.

If you're not interested in selling it, then doesn't matter what it's "worth" because you're not going to sell it.

My 2 cents.

(Not trying to be curt, just typing in a hurry). :)

Louis
12-07-2010, 07:04 PM
That's a real beauty.

Keep it. :)

thwart
12-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Who knows, in today's market?

The folks at Classic Rendezvous my help you more in this area...

Beautiful!

ultraman6970
12-07-2010, 07:20 PM
If you are willing to sell it I know somebody who might be interested in.

Not familiar with serotta but i guess the frame as it is can be up to 600 bucks with headset?

That group it is expensive, new came in a suitcase thing, and brand new not open u can find it in ebay sometimes for 5 grands, doubt somebody will buy it at that price but either way take a look at ebay to figure it out.

dave thompson
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I've got a 1983 all original Serotta red metallic bicycle that i'd like opinions of value on it. It's in excellent condition, has all matching Campagnolo 50th anniversary parts, has low miles and little wear on the parts. Very clean, and no evidence of any accidents. All of the gold medallions are intact.

For the past 9 years I've been trading in C Record parts.....mostly because i fell in love with the groupset in college as it was the new groupset at the time, and i could only afford a used Motobecane with cheap parts then. Still have the Motobecane, still ride it, but put on C Record parts. I don't know about the value of Super Record or Nuovo Record era bikes or parts.

So, for a this great bike, what's it worth? I can post a photo or two. It's about a 56 cm bike (seat tube).

Thanks for any advice! Dave
Is your Serotta the Campagnolo 50th Anniversary model, or a Serotta with Campy 50th components?

I have no idea to the value of your bike but here's some info regarding the Serotta Campy 50th model from their 1985 catalog: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/serotta-85/ser3.jpg

Here's a year-old listown ad for a 50th anniv Serotta: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IsZqHidaohUJ:www.listown.com/boats/mp/200903/83907.htm+serotta+campagnolo+50th+anniversary+mode l&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

john903
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Keep it, if that were mine and I sold it I know I would really regret it (over time) so keep it as a time machine when life was simpler. Serotta steel with Campagnolo jewlery is perfection much more beautiful then boring carbon and black components, IMHO.
Have a great day.

Polyglot
12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Generally speaking, the 50th anniversary group is the "value" on any bike it comes on. So you sell a complete bike for just a tad more than the value of the gruppo all by itself. This bike is however so clean, that you might be able to get full value for the frame as well as the gruppo. The gruppo, by itself, when sold new in the case goes for between $2000-3000. I would expect to knock off about $500 for a used gruppo without the case in the shape this one appears to be in (i.e. $1500-2500 range). Then add the value of the nacked frame.

ti_boi
12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
That is one fine looking steed. :beer:

Sometimes I think that the classics are actually more attractive than the new ones. Or is that my age talking....I also have other rather aged preferences.

pbjbike
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160512630624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

19wisconsin64
12-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi all, thanks for all of your information. This particular bike has the Campy logo stamped in several places on the frame and fork, so it was a special frame for the special groupset. It would be a sin to part out this bike!

tsarpepe
12-10-2010, 06:43 PM
My guess is that eBay will give you around $2,000 for it. If you put it up for 7 days, you probably won't find the buyer who will appreciate the combo of Serotta classic + Campy 50th Anno. They'll buy it for the latter and add just a little extra for the frame, but not its real value.

trophyoftexas
12-10-2010, 07:03 PM
....if you sell this bike you must be either broke or crazy! KEEP IT and RIDE IT....!!!!!

19wisconsin64
12-10-2010, 07:07 PM
i'm selling this because it's too small for me! it's a 56.5, and i take a 58. i ride stretched out. otherwise, i'd keep it and ride it! well, if i did keep it i'd safely store away all the gold bits and put on regular super record.

trophyoftexas
12-11-2010, 05:44 AM
...."and it's JUST my size!" Post a number when you decide, I've already got a Mercian worked up in 50th Campy stuff and toooooo many Serotta's, too...but I'd HAVE to consider this :no: ....maybe I should hold off on that new mtb I'm going over to Dallas to buy this weekend!!!!!! :confused: PM me if you decide on something.

19wisconsin64
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks mr. trophyoftexas! i'm posting this on the classified section in a day or so. i only keep what i ride and race, and i can't justify owning this! not to mention i simply don't have space in my apartment for all these bikes! cheers