PDA

View Full Version : Portland, OR. Help on bike purchase please. New info

BlackTiBob
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi,
anybody live in Portland and be willing to help on a purchase from bike shop?

I found out that the bike shop is a big/reputable dealer but need some help on a bike purchase. They can't sell over the internet.
They need me or someone on my behalf to walk into store/ be seen by them in person, and then they can sell the bike and arrange to have it shipped.
I'm in MN so me going there is out :)
Anybody live close to one of their stores that could drop in?

I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
PM or bob.smutka@co.hennepin.mn.us

vqdriver
12-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Civil war today

Check back later

bking
12-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Odd.
I don't live there, but i've purchased a bike from them, i did do it in person though and it was shipped.
My sister lives close to one of their stores if that would help.
Bruce

BlackTiBob
12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Bruce,
Yes I guess that's the key, that buyer or someone else has to show up in person and then they can ship.
If forum doesn't find someone, I may get back to you about your sister.
Person could go to any store. Shop would have my order and money and person would just need to say in person, Bob wants to order this bike and have it shipped to him.
Bob in MN

BengeBoy
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I hope you find some help.

I just wanted to chime in and say these "rules" that the bike manufacturers impose on the dealers are f***** up if it's that easy to get around them.

Always wonder how long the bike industry is going to continue pretending that the Internet doesn't exist.

Ken Robb
12-04-2010, 03:13 PM
they had similar rules for phone orders before Al Gore "invented the internet".

BlackTiBob
12-04-2010, 05:38 PM
when vqdriver posted:
"Civil war today

Check back later"

Civil war is when Oregon Ducks play Oregon Beavers. Entire state is busy with that. At first I jumped on internet, is N Korea revolting, what is going on etc. Football civil war....

Benge Boy- yes it's ridiculous when they pretend net doesn't exist. Especially when it's a carryover bike so my local dealer doesn't even have one and neither does the manufacturer. So I want to buy and Portland dealer wants to sell but we have to jump thru hoops. :crap:

PacNW2Ford
12-04-2010, 07:06 PM
How do we know that this isn't some dastardly plan to divert our dealers' bikes so Bicycling Magazine can keep saying that Minneapolis is America's Top Cycling City?

BlackTiBob
12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
PacNW,
you have uncovered the plot.... to divert all bike sales to Minneapolis so we can retain the "best in US Cycling City title".
They obviously don't consider the weather for that award ;)
8" of new snow and 20 degrees.

That's why our club is forced to do a Texas trip in January.
Bob in MinnySnowTa.

fogrider
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I hate it when there are dumb rules!

jlwdm
12-05-2010, 04:54 AM
These rules are totally dumb. Designed to help protect the LBS and usually pricing. A thread like this could possibly get this LBS in trouble.

Jeff